Author Topic: Gensokyo Quest!! Forum JRPG- Team up with other members to resolve the incident!  (Read 45771 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Hello, and welcome to the Gensokyo Quest thread!
This is a Forum/IRC RPG that I'm working on, that will function similarly to any Shin Megami Tensei / Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest title.

Quick link to the chatroom

Due to horrible lag after the third session, we've switched to using http://chat.mibbit.com
Type in a name, and then #gensoquest for the channel! See ya there~

On character generation

You choose your character class, come up with a name, specify any bonus stats for further customization (Will I add points to Attack, or Defense...?), and you have all the information I'd need to generate your character!
Team up with other forum members and investigate the latest mystery that's going on in Gensokyo!

Class descriptions can be found below, and data is here and here, but just as a reminder:

There are three human classes, and three Youkai classes, and one Shrine Maiden class.
They all have different stats, skill sets, equipment tiers, etc etc etc to choose from. You cannot change a character's class or bonus points once you've generated them, so choose wisely!
If you pick a class that recieves two weapon types, please specify which initial equipment you'd like, or I'll coin-toss it.

Stage 1 and Stage 2 have been fully prepared. Stages 3 - 6 will be finished in the coming weeks.

Save Files
(That is to say, Current Games)

01 - Stage 4 ~ Youkai Mountain
(Lv. 30) Hanzo K.
(Lv. 29) The Hating Hater
(Lv. 29) Yugian
(Lv. 29) The Duke
Time: 52:45
Times Saved: 52
Game Overs: 0

02 - Stage 2 ~ Human Village
(Lv. 4) Hanzo K.
(Lv. 4) Chaore
(Lv. 4) Raitaki
(Lv. 4) Shadoweh
Time: 7:28
Times Saved: 5
Game Overs: 0

New File

About the game

Create a character, and customize your stats. They'll be stuck that way forever, so be careful.

You control your character and move around the game world with the teamwork of three other shrinemaiden.org members in a fantasy JRPG set in the Touhou universe.

Gensokyo Quest features turn-based battles and requires you to use a lot of thought and strategy in your moves, and in your character setup.
Equip collectable Grimoires to supplant your skill trees with additional abilities and to augment your character with various elemental affinities and resistance.
Cirno's Grimoire will enable you to cast Ice-based spells, and will grant you an immunity to ice attacks, while Mystia's enables darkness-based spells, but makes you weak to Light.

Upon levelling up, you may learn a special skill that is reserved for characters of your class. A Shrine Maiden might learn Fantasy Seal, while a Tengu would learn Illusionary Dominance. You can use these skills regardless of Grimoires, and they'll typically cost less Special Points to use too!

Gensokyo Quest will feature many of the Touhou characters in an expansive adventure that spans 6 "Stages," from the PC-98 era to Ten Desires. It will feature travel to many locations in Gensokyo, from Hakugyokurou, to Eientei, to the Forest of Magic, to Muenzuka.

Please refer to the stat tables when considering what Bonus Points to apply to your character.
Note that the dice rolls I produce can only be rethrown once for each character, in the event of an unsatisfactory roll.
Saving your game IS A VIABLE COMMAND. Do it liberally! The current game data is deleted if you Game Over, and will have to be reloaded.

Old post:
I've been thinking for a while how amazing a needlessly complicated and long-winded JRPG emulation on a forum board would be.
So I'm just tossing out the thought.

The general idea is that players (you forum members) pick one of the eight classes that all differ in stats, learned skills, allotted weapons, etc etc etc and form 'parties' to progress through the 'game' and defeat the Final Boss at the 'end.'

Does this sound like something people would like to try out?

Execution is key, of course. Before I dive in I will try to figure this out.

I've put together various formulae, tables, and outlines for each of the classes, which are a mix of the standard, and Touhou.

Warrior - uses Swords
Specializes in offensive skills

Knight - uses Swords
Utilizes buff/debuff moves, has some attack skills

Magician - uses Staves, Spell Cards
Uses laser attacks

Combat Medic - uses Staves, Swords
Restoration and healing magic

Shrine Maiden - uses Staves, Spell Cards
Specializes in exorcism (instant death) spells

Tengu - uses Spell Cards
(Based off Aya, mostly. A mish-mash of different skills.)

Oni - uses Swords, Spell Cards
Utilizes some incredibly powerful skills at the expense of stats

I figure how variance and individuality would work in this setup would be:

You have 25 points to add to any of your base stats. You may not add more than 15 to one stat.
I will roll dice to determine further variance, from -10 to +10. You will be notified of these at character generation and can opt to be rerolled once.

The stats are

Hit Points
Special Points
Phys Attack
Phys Defense
Magical Attack
Magical Defense
Speed / "Agility"

It's pretty obvious to tell that Tengus will have a higher Speed stat than Onis, so consider that. I can post a full breakdown of the strengths/weaknesses of each class if this gets a sizeable amount of interest.

(An example)
Lv 3 Warrior / Lv 3 Knight Taizen
HP: 364 / 266
SP: 124 / 131
PA: 24 / 23
PD: 17 / 19
MA: 11 / 14
MD: 16 / 13
AG: 11 / 19
(The Warrior it might look is statistically better, but the Knight has better defensive skills)

Assuming Cirno appears in the game and you decide to beat her down for whatever reason, she having 7 Defense for example would imply damages of 34 and 32, respectively.

Stuff about mechanics:

Turn order, if applicable, will be posted at the end of each update. Those who are playing will have their actions executed in that order, with exceptions to certain skills.

Failure to submit a move during battle after around 24 hours results in a forfeited turn. Conversely, if every member has submitted a command, then it can continue immediately.

All moves will be accompanied with a roll of two dice.
For example, Player A attacks. If the dice come up snake eyes (1/36 chance), then they missed. If you rolled a 12 (also 1/36), it counts as a critical and gets bonus damage.
There are some exceptions, such as Fantasy Seal (1/6 success), and Illusionary Dominance (1/3 success)

Who the enemies are attacking will be determined by rolling as many dice as there are players and using a modulo operation (sum of dice % number of dice)+1.

If a party member defeats an enemy you have targeted, your new target is randomly chosen using the modulo.

All party members share EXP, and experience curves. The only difference pertaining to it is when characters learn new skills. All characters who aren't Shrine Maiden or Oni class learn their first skill at level two- Oni begin at three and Shrine Maidens pick up Fantasy Seal from the get-go.

I figure the game can be written around player parties of three through five. Four, preferably, but any of those can do. Any more and it gets a tad difficult to keep track of.
Plus there can't be any discrepancies in the intentions of the teams, I guess. You'd have to team up with people you know'd be willing to work with you.

And it also isn't as if I can have 70 turn megabosses in play either. Hell, even five turns per battle is a stretch here.
So maybe random encounters are automatically fought and only bosses have direct input?

Perhaps it could be alleviated somewhat to have the game done over IRC? And maybe just post a chatlog in the thread for later reference...

As mentioned before, execution for a project on this scale could make or break it, but it does seem like an interesting prospect. Well, to me, anyway :V
I don't quite have everything ironed out, so that's where your input would be very valuable, and much appreciated.

Given, of course, people want into this sort of thing.

That being said, this isn't quite a game yet. Should I have posted this here? :fail:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:40:14 AM by チソウ タイゼン »

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
Re: Planning a Forum JRPG ~ "Gensokyo Quest?"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:35 AM »
Probably the right place, yes, but I doubt it'll work out. Trying to implement a specific battle system seems to be what killed Yoshika Quest, so I see little reason to expect it to work here. If you want to go ahead with it, well, it's your choice, but just be careful; it's real easy for people to lose interest.

Nekomata-chan

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
It sounds like a really good idea, but tl;dr it seems a bit too long-winded for little ol' short-attention-span me.

You may get some of the more focussed and determined folk joining, but...

Trying to implement a specific battle system seems to be what killed Yoshika Quest, so I see little reason to expect it to work here. If you want to go ahead with it, well, it's your choice, but just be careful; it's real easy for people to lose interest.
^this.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »
Actually, Yoshika Quest went on hiatus due to things coming up for the parser, according to what he told me once in IRC.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
Maybe, but it wasn't exactly getting many responses during battles, and I'm pretty sure the last post made was from the parser.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
Actually, you were the last poster.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
Well damn. I'm pretty crap at game development (I can make a fully featured RPG engine, but not the game?) so I was hoping this would work. I guess that's kind of a stretch >_>

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
Personally, I think it could work on IRC. Just get a dicebot and stuff like the D&D/Whatever folks do.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. That's probably the crowd this would appeal to most, anyways.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »
Indeed, I can think of a couple that might go for it. myself included.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Fabulous Sadist

• Dumb Thing
  • Lurking in the dark depths of the forum.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
I'd go for it. Been a long time since I played an RPG game that doesn't involve just you controlling a bunch of characters.

Nekomata-chan

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »
I'd definitely go for it in IRC. It would probably be easier to keep people interested and would speed up the process. I can see this dragging slightly if kept in the forum.

Also, IRC kicks ass.

Fabulous Sadist

• Dumb Thing
  • Lurking in the dark depths of the forum.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
tbh it doesn't matter for me if it's IRC or forum, but yeah, IRC seems better.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
Well in that case, I'll consider throwing together the class sheets for people to choose from :3

In the meantime, I'd like an opinion on the format.
How I think it would go, would be for groups of four or five people to all find some time to get on IRC (you see this gets complicated now) to play the game.
(Perhaps set up a room on Mibbit or something.)
Does that seem feasible, what with timezones and work and shit?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
I think that could work. I'd put it on the MoTK IRC, because most folks(myself included) can be found there.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
Would they mind me showing up and running a forum game? :/

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
That's the beauty of it, you can make your own little side-room.
Take that old Grail War game, it had one for chatting and stuff.

Well, it should be fine, so long as you haven't been banned or anything.
Hell, you could even mention it in the main channel/room, and you might get even more players.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
Oh, excellent. On a related note,

[attach=1]

How does it look? :V

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
Looks good, though it'd help to have those little chart things set to numbers for each specific milestone, so they can be read out like the below example.
Here's an example modeled after the Tengu Class, as if the max stat score was 5. (With the exception of HP/SP.)
(Maybe putting specific numbers at each stat point thing for each class? Y'know, to show the base stats upon creation and stuff.)

Hit Points: 10?
Special Points: 9?
P-Atk: 3-4?
P-Def: 2-3?
M-Atk: 3-4?
M-Def: 2-3?
Spd/Agi: 5
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
What if I made the relevant information readily available?

(But in a simplified sense of course.)

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »
Oh I am so IN.

That chart looks great! But I agree with Hanzo, if you add some refference numbers it'd be awesome.

E: You already posted it :V
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:10:43 PM by The Duke »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Okay, that could work. But maybe simplify it to a more tabletop format.
So the Tengu stats would be more like so.

HP: 15
SP: 7
P-Atk/M-Atk: 13
P-Def/M-Def: 8
SPD/AGI: 18

Also, I'm surprised at how little P-Def Oni have, considering as how they were renowned for being insanely durable.
(Sure, their HP Totals reflect that, but you;d think they'd at least have a 70/7 P-Def count.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
I'm currently writing Stage 1, then, featuring a Hakurei Shrine festival and a tutorial boss fight with Cirno.

I suppose people can take this time to name their characters and define their classes.
Do look over the stuff in the first post when considering your class, you'll be stuck learning those types of moves until you stop learning moves at Level 20.

The formulas, Hanzo, are founded on diminishing returns, so 5 defense isn't actually half of 10 defense.
It's closer to about 71%.
Besides, those are base stats, and characters at Level 1 will all have, like, only 6 to 8 in almost all of their stats anyway.

Also, mechanics. Find player parties, because I'm not tweaking the difficulty for solo players :V
It would be ideal if you all (plus me) had some free time, all at the same time.

And I'm also thinking about a means of customizing your characters further in the thought of what they're capable of doing- skills and such. Equippable items, not unlike SMT: Nocturne's Magatama, I'm probably going to settle with.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
So it's possible to have Subclasses then?
For example, a Tengu Highwind(Aya-based, focuses mainly on Spd/M-Atk), and a Tengu Sentinel(Momiji, Focuses Mainly on P-Def/M-Def/P-Atk).
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »
I meant customization as in skills, rather than stats.
I can draw up alternate stat tables for such things, but the skillsets would remain the same.

I've written up some brief documentation on the Grimoires, which are named after Touhou characters and bestow relevant skills.
Defeating Cirno earns you Mystia's Grimoire, which renders you weak to Light-based attacks, but absorbent of Darkness, and also allows you to cast some skills that only work when you have them equipped.
LOOK AT HOW COMPLICATED THIS IS GETTING OH GOD.

Stage 1 should only take about 20 minutes to get through, so I guess I should start on Stage 2 >_>

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
Well, the subclasses would be like the Grimoires. A certain equip would dictate the subclass by way of different skills and such.
For example, the Mystia Grimoire you mentioned would add the Class Suffix "Night Bard", or some variation of that.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »
Ahh, okay, I suppose. The Grimoires don't affect stats, though. At least, not the way I've set them up.
Perhaps they can be complete carbon copies of Magatama and just add points to your stats?

Oh wait, this is actually much closer to Devil of Decline's Shikigami, now.

Actually, I couldn't have them add points, I don't think. That would make one of the skills in Akyuu's completely redundant >_>

They'll just give you supplementary skills based on your level. Most of the opening ones have initial skills at Level 1, so you can use those immediately.

(Also, Night Bard Oni. Night Bard Shrine Maiden. I love this.)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
It would be ideal if you all (plus me) had some free time, all at the same time.
I'm going to have to decline then, free time is lacking for me around now.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
I'm going to have to decline then, free time is lacking for me around now.

Aww, I'm sorry.

I have a full-time job, but I'm still off for two days a week and for most of the day I'm not working...
I'll have to appoint someone else who can also run this game when/if I'm too busy >_>

Everyone willing to play, pick names, classes, and distribute 25 stat points, no more than 15 in one stat.
If there are more than five of you, split into parties.

Stage 1 should start soon, if we can get an available day.

Also, IRC. I'll try to familiarize myself with it more or something >_>