Author Topic: Banning/permabanning?  (Read 7417 times)

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
  • Rising from the ashes of an old dream~
Banning/permabanning?
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »
I was just wondering, what exactly is the difference between being banned and being permabanned? Surely a ban wouldn't be a temporary tthing, since that's what probations are for...

Also is it just the account that's banned, or is that machine (Or IP, Iunno these things :S) completely unable to view the boards?

Thanks in advance. :)

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
Re: Banning/permabanning?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
Probations are the same thing as bans I believe.

So bans are temporary.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
I also have a relevant curiousity: How long do probations and bans generally last?

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
I also have a relevant curiousity: How long do probations and bans generally last?

Depending on what the offense was. I was banned for three days for talking about something on the forums I wasn't allowed to talk about.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
Probations are the same thing as bans I believe.

So bans are temporary.

Nope. Bans are bans. They can be appealed, however. Permabans mean you have exhausted even the possibility of appeal.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »
Pretty much what Ammy said.

Probations are short-term bans that generally have a set release date. Bans are long-term without a concrete release date, but one can appeal and if done so successfully, they can be unbanned after a set period of time or after a certain requirement is met-- and often on the condition that they are on a final warning. Permabans follow if that condition is not met, or if one does something so much against the rules that their presence simply will not be permitted. There is no chance for appeal.

Also is it just the account that's banned, or is that machine (Or IP, Iunno these things :S) completely unable to view the boards?

It's just the account-- but bandodging by making a new account is an easy way to win a one-way ticket to being permabanned.

However, even someone who is banned can log out of their account and view most of the boards as a guest, as those who are banned can't see anything other than the rules and appeals boards, and those who are permabanned can't see anything but the rules board (I think, not entirely sure) when logged in.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:50:29 PM by Fate Matsyrossa »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:23:57 AM »
Exactly.  The main difference between probation and a ban is that probations are for set lengths, and you are not prevented from viewing the forums, just posting.  Bans are for indeterminate periods of time, generally contingent on a set of conditions met before an unban is granted.  Permaban is all options are exhausted, you are no longer welcome.

Probated and banned users can appeal their sentences at any time.  There is a special subforum set aside only visible to such users to allow such discussions to take place, solving the chicken and egg problem "talk to the staff to get out of jail, ok then how do I talk to the staff or know who's a staff member?".  Permabanned users cannot see this forum.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »
On that note, is there any sort of USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST mechanism here, or is the Banned-type avatar the only indication?

Just wondering since I'm new-ish here and looking through older threads and seeing the original poster having the Banned avatar is kinda unnerving to me for some reason.

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
On that note, is there any sort of USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST mechanism here, or is the Banned-type avatar the only indication?

Maybe we oughta adopt a UWBFTP stamp, as there's one rule in particular that gets chronically broken around here ...

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
The avatar is it, though we do try to include reasons (and release dates, if appropriate) in the user info.

Outside of extreme extenuating circumstances (i.e. I can recall it happening exactly once), a person got probated/banned for forum offenses, which means they posted something unpleasant, which means we don't really want to keep it around for everyone to see.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »
Maybe we oughta adopt a UWBFTP stamp, as there's one rule in particular that gets chronically broken around here ...

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the news marquee on the forum front, could it? :V

Phoenix_lostarr

• mrgrgr
  • Rising from the ashes of an old dream~
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
So, a permaban also prevents that user from making any more accounts to bandodge? How would that realistically work, then? Would it be based on IP, email or something totally different?

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
So, a permaban also prevents that user from making any more accounts to bandodge? How would that realistically work, then? Would it be based on IP, email or something totally different?

It's based on the IP address. Do understand that it actually takes a lot to get permabanned around here. The staff prefer to give probations for offenses, even repeat offenses, and in the event of a ban, the user still has the option of being able to appeal their case. If you have been permabanned, your behavior was so egregious and idiotic that you don't deserve any quarter. These are the type of people who have ignored repeated warnings and probations, and are thus unlikely to ever change their behavior.

Because of this, a scenario where someone permabanned re-registers with a different IP address and begins posting again as a totally new and positively-contributing user is extremely unlikely. Hypothetically speaking, though, someone permabanned re-appearing with a new IP and acting like a totally new and well-behaved user is not necessarily a bad thing. It may have already happened, as far as we know, but if it has, this person is now contributing positively to the community and not causing trouble anymore anyway, so it's win-win really. Unless, of course, the bandodge is discovered, in which case buh-bye.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
My stance on bandodging is if I catch you bandodging then I will permaban you, no if ands or buts.  I don't care how minor the original offense was, bandodging displays a willing and malicious disregard for the authority of the staff to police the community.  By bandodging you're basically giving the middle finger to the staff, as if the rules do not apply to you.  We've made it hilariously easy to appeal your convictions, and hell the appeals forum clearly states if you see this you're in trouble so post here.  There is literally no excuse to bandodge. 

If you insist on playing cat and mouse I will whack every rereg you make.  I don't, however, spend all my hours hunting for reregged people to whack.  We don't IP ban except in special circumstances because it is very easy to catch innocent users.  We do log IPs though so it is fairly trivial to put together who is who when someone reregs.  There is a natural limit of one account per email anyways.  Generally the class of person who does bandodge isn't very intelligent in the first place.  Even then I've had a couple of "persistent" people but they generally only get a couple of posts in before it becomes obvious who is who.  You may be able to get past the initial IP checks and fool that, but trust me, behaviors will give you away quickly enough.

Basically if I can't tell which banned user you are (and trust me, I can), then generally that means you've adjusted your behavior and we no longer have an issue.  Punishments are given out here because you've become a nuisance to the community in some manner.  The rules really only cover behaviors that are undesirable and disruptive to the community at large.  The only rule that isn't so much a "disruptive" behavior is the piracy ban and that's in place out of respect for ZUN and other content creators.  And even with the piracy bans, if you show remorse or at least an understanding not to do that again, we generally let you off with a warning.  Probations/bans come into play when you repeat said behaviors after you've already been told a few times to knock it off.

If you manage to blend in well enough that you aren't completely obvious, then generally that means you've fixed whatever bad behavior that got you in trouble in the first place.  We no longer really have an issue with you.  But I can say with 99.999999999999999999999999999% certainty that if you hit the level of permaban, barring a miracle, you're not going to fix your behavior and you will stick out like a sore thumb and you will get rebanned.  If you were capable of fixing your behavior you wouldn't be getting permabanned in the first place.  It is reallllllllllly hard to get banned here.

Just wondering since I'm new-ish here and looking through older threads and seeing the original poster having the Banned avatar is kinda unnerving to me for some reason.
No, I do not believe in public shaming as a method of "curbing" behavior.  I've been on SomethingAwful, I've lived with that kind of moderation.  Believe me for a time I used to agree with it, but I've seen the end result and I don't want people to fear the staff or have animosity towards us.  Does that make us a more lax place?  Probably, but let's be honest here, there really aren't that many rules here in the first place, and we collect the large amounts of people here because we're NOT like other forums with that kind of totalitarian deathgrip.

I STRONGLY adhere to the "praise in public, punish in private" method of moderation.  Your offenses are between the staff and yourself, noone else.  Noone else is privy to the log of bans, we do not want bans and such to hang around people's necks like albatrosses (or worse, being worn as badges of honor).  We do not discuss the punishments of other users with other people (unless permabanned, and those are so rare they're stories in and of themselves).  There's people here you would never suspect have ran afoul of us from time to time, and we like to keep it that way.

This is why we make our rules so general and judge more towards "common sense" and interactions with the community at large.  Consider it more of a list of "do's" and "don'ts".  We don't have a list of hidden rules you trip and you get in trouble for, but at the same time we expect a level of maturity from people and feel we don't have to spell out every single case.  We don't want to deal with the class of person who intentionally rides every rule to the edge just to hide behind the letter and not the spirit of it.  That being said we try to be as unambiguous as possible when dealing with situations, and if there does come up a case where we feel a precedent has to be set, we will announce it openly (while withholding who was involved of course).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:21:41 PM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »
Hello.

I know that's not very important but I have a question:
I see that some of the members with "dark usernames" have a "YOU WA BAN" above their avatar. Is it supposed to mean something special? =x

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
That's a fake ban, usually for humorous purposes. We sometimes hand 'em out for a laugh. Nothing more, nothing less. Real bans do not have the 'YOU WA BAN' banner.

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
It's a joke title

e:dammit matsun :<

[matsuri]:smug:[/matsuri]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:18:56 PM by Fate Matsyrossa »