Author Topic: ZUN's music collection vol.6 announced  (Read 43875 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: ZUN's music collection vol.6 announced
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
I prefer to think of ZUN's trumpets as crack. No matter how much you sniff, you always crave more.

Probably because crack is meant to be smoked.

The problems arise when your body begins to adapt to the drug, causing each subsequent intake to be less pleasurable. In other words, the first time I heard "Necro Fantasy ~ A Maiden's Illusionary Funeral", I felt like I was listening to the voice of God. I had trouble restraining myself from replaying Ran's theme at least 10 times, or even just the one section with the epic brass blasts. Now, the song sounds like trumpets and pianos to me. Good ones, of course, but the initial ecstasy and excitement degraded into a more mature, nostalgic feeling.

Yeah, for me it was the opposite. His mixing was so off that I was initially repelled by these songs, and later grew to enjoy them, or at least tolerate them.

On the other hand, songs like "Wind God Girl" lose their appeal faster because they rely only on the trumpets for energy. Indeed, ZUN's trumpets may be crack, but his pianos are LSD.

Again, total opposite for me. The composition of Wind God Girl is so good that I keep hearing new things in it all the time.

But yeah. I can't say if there was a change in composition style after MoF, as that was the game I started out with, when it was a new release. But for my personal tastes, the ratio of songs in the game to songs I love hasn't changed, so whatever he's doing, as far as I'm concerned, he can keep right on doing it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:19:27 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2012, 08:08:35 AM »
Random music opinion time strikes again.

I feel the same about one of ZUN's most popular songs: "Love-colored Master Spark." I first heard the song while fighting Marisa, and the song sounded like two rainbows having sex with each other.
win
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 01:15:35 AM »
Probably because crack is meant to be smoked.

Well, now I know. Or maybe I was typing so carelessly, I wasn't paying attention to my word choice. I suppose every time I (or anyone else) make a mistake, you'll be there to play grammarian.

Yeah, for me it was the opposite. His mixing was so off that I was initially repelled by these songs, and later grew to enjoy them, or at least tolerate them.

I'm curious to know what motivated you to continue listening to a song after having a negative first impression. Perhaps by tolerate, you meant you had to listen to the songs while playing the game. I had the same problem with ZUN's music after Subterranean Animism, as multiple listens changed my opinion from bad to decent. However, I still love the songs I enjoyed the most at first listen.

Again, total opposite for me. The composition of Wind God Girl is so good that I keep hearing new things in it all the time.

I can't say I share your experience. Wind God Girl, from what I hear, is a very direct song which repeats the same catchy rhythm. I enjoyed the song very much on my first few listens, but over the course of months, other songs proved to be better for longer.

Tengukami

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
Well, now I know. Or maybe I was typing so carelessly, I wasn't paying attention to my word choice. I suppose every time I (or anyone else) make a mistake, you'll be there to play grammarian.

Uh, don't get snippity about it. Your grammar was fine; I was just making a joke about crack being something you smoke. I mean, if you're going to make drug references in how you describe music, helps to know how they work, right? I didn't even get into asking how, exactly, his pianos are like LSD - a description so vague it doesn't really say anything.

I'm curious to know what motivated you to continue listening to a song after having a negative first impression. Perhaps by tolerate, you meant you had to listen to the songs while playing the game. I had the same problem with ZUN's music after Subterranean Animism, as multiple listens changed my opinion from bad to decent. However, I still love the songs I enjoyed the most at first listen.

Yeah, pretty much answered your own question there - repeated listening through gameplay.

I can't say I share your experience. Wind God Girl, from what I hear, is a very direct song which repeats the same catchy rhythm. I enjoyed the song very much on my first few listens, but over the course of months, other songs proved to be better for longer.

ZUN's standard template is verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus, and that's pretty much the case with all his songs. That's not a criticism, mind you - he's writing music for gameplay stages. I think our different responses to that song can more be chalked up to matters of personal taste in melodies.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:17 AM »
Can I just say that crack metaphor is literally the most accurate description of my experience with Touhou music?

So this wonderful music album is being released tomorrow?
Here's to hoping for some amazing new remixes and original songs!
 :3

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
It's out now...

I must say, I enjoy this rendition of Hartmann's Youkai Girl a lot more. The reduced speed really cuts down on the hectic and chaotic mood.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
It's out now...

I must say, I enjoy this rendition of Hartmann's Youkai Girl a lot more. The reduced speed really cuts down on the hectic and chaotic mood.
It sounds more...I'd say floaty? Or spacey or something, but definitely a lot slower and I guess bubbly imo. So it actually sounds like a good song rather than a chaotic one to fit the mood while fighting Koishi. :V

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
So far it seems ZUN stuck with using amped-up beats like he did with half of TD's themes. I'm not complaining.

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
It sounds more...I'd say floaty? Or spacey or something, but definitely a lot slower and I guess bubbly imo. So it actually sounds like a good song rather than a chaotic one to fit the mood while fighting Koishi. :V

I'm thinking of replacing koishi's theme with this one, then see how the fight feels

Also, let's play spot the difference with Cosmic Mind

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Ehh... to be honest, I prefer the old Hartmann's Youkai Girl. Adding that main beat during the 7/8 parts kind of took the weirdness too far, and then the other parts weren't exactly improved in any way whatsoever.

UFO Romance was actually slightly improved but... not enough. Guess the original was so bad it couldn't be salvaged. At least they kept the laugh.

That's it for now. I think I still like the first track the most.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
Also, let's play spot the difference with Cosmic Mind
I

The

What

I am seriously disappointed. Pretty much every track so far was a more classy / jazzier version of the original (or... without an original), and for the one track I'd have appreciated such an arrange the most... nada.

It's still way too upbeat for the emotion or charm or whatever to sink in.

It's still bad.

;-;

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
I dunno what you guys are talking about. All I've heard is the Hartmann arrange, and I'm lovin' it. Somehow sounds...unhinged.

But man, I'm looking forward to the story translations so much. I can't wait to see where our duo goes next. :D

Also, the arranges from the games have almost always been slight changes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:07:25 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
To be fair, some sections of Hartmann are improved. I needed a few more repeats to establish that.

The first track is definitely my favorite, all things considered. The more I listen to it, the more solidified that fact gets.

nintendonut888

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Okay, having just finished listening to the CD, I have to say Ame-no-torifune Shrine is my favorite of the new tracks. I wasn't sure at first, but these are all grade-A tracks as usual.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Trojan Asteroid Jungle has such a fun rhythm; I love it.
I can only imagine how creative the remixes will get. :3

Oh, and Youkai Girl is now ear-pleasing and far more lax. Unfortunately, it lacks the thrills, speed, and loudness the original version had.

Is this an overall great album y/y?

Formless God

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »
I enjoyed Track 8 (piano rush sex) and Track 10. Track 1's loop is ridiculous but it has some nice tunes going on in it. The other two are, uh, okay. I'm pretty sure I've heard them somewhere before.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:27:37 AM by Anarchy Formless »

nintendonut888

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa.

Suddenly, every single copy of TGA's music has been deleted from Youtube. Apparently Shanghai Alice pulled a copyright claim...?! I thought this was just some asshole ruining everyone's fun, but it's gone from Nicovideo too! What the heck, did ZUN really do this...?

Tengukami

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa.

Suddenly, every single copy of TGA's music has been deleted from Youtube. Apparently Shanghai Alice pulled a copyright claim...?! I thought this was just some asshole ruining everyone's fun, but it's gone from Nicovideo too! What the heck, did ZUN really do this...?

Unless he specifically says so, this is all speculation. Let's not jump to conclusions unless and until an official statement is made.

nintendonut888

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
I found this on ZUN's twitter:

当然、CDを動画にしてアップするのは二次創作ではないので許可出来ないよん

Can anyone translate this? I think it may be related.

Tengukami

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
The Google translation certainly makes it seem related!

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Something like 'Of course, allowing the uploading of the CD is an impossible proposition because it isn't derivative work'... maybe. It is no doubt related but I'm no good at translating.  :V

Kinda surprising to see this thing happening. That wasn't my impression of ZUN at all. I guess people will have to buy his CD now.  :D

nintendonut888

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
Indeed, I'm surprised to see him actually crack down on music uploads, especially now, since the other CDs have been on Youtube for ages. Well, if he's that emphatic on us buying the CD, then maybe I will have to oblige! It's certainly good enough.

Though, is it even possible to buy it online yet?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:41:16 PM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »
Well, the CD was uploaded all over the place on video sites almost as soon as it came out.  Is that normal for the music industry?  (I'm a noob regarding such things)

Most of Symposium of Post Mysticism was uploaded to various places on the net in fragmented scans before the book literally officially went up for sale.

Assuming ZUN cares at all about money, I can't help but imagine all of that has to be just a tad bit annoying.  Maybe he cares about money more than ever before now that he's married, too.  A man's gotta support his family, after all.

Any news on the story of Trojan Green Asteroid?  Er... if there is one.

nintendonut888

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:22 PM »
In other news, scans of the storybook have been uploaded to the Wiki, so we can hopefully expect translations of the story in the near future.

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »
Yep!

Kafka's on the ball.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
Well, the CD was uploaded all over the place on video sites almost as soon as it came out.  Is that normal for the music industry?  (I'm a noob regarding such things)

Most of Symposium of Post Mysticism was uploaded to various places on the net in fragmented scans before the book literally officially went up for sale.

Assuming ZUN cares at all about money, I can't help but imagine all of that has to be just a tad bit annoying.  Maybe he cares about money more than ever before now that he's married, too.  A man's gotta support his family, after all.

Any news on the story of Trojan Green Asteroid?  Er... if there is one.

Regardless of whether his stance towards money has changed, this change of mind is appreciated. Uploading scans and music files so close to a release has nothing to do with wanting to spread word of something, that's just disrepectful. Basically, good going, ZUN, a step I can, for once, appreciate.

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2012, 12:54:40 AM »
Yea. Much as I like knowing what the heck is going on in Symposium so fast, I'm pretty sure most other authors don't have to put up with their books being slapped online within a day BEFORE the book pfficially went on sale.  Well, sure, a lot of movies and some videogames during the games of emulation have to put up with that these days but it's still gotta suck.

Yep!

Kafka's on the ball.

Sweet!

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2012, 01:13:23 AM »
Can someone put the transcription on the wiki? Don't worry about the translation, I was going to handle it myself.

But from what ZUN was saying on Twitter, it's entirely likely it was him who took down the uploaded videos on Youtube AND Nico. Just because it seems "western" or whatever, I'm pretty sure that Youtube is still more widely used in Japan. If he doesn't want his music uploaded to those sites right after it was released, that's his choice. Maybe after it shows up in stores and more people have a chance to buy it, he might relent, since from what I've seen, the previous CDs are still there.

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2012, 04:36:29 AM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Trojan_Green_Asteroid/Story

Transcriptions' already there.  And er... someone else already put the translation, albeit he took it from the other site that was linked to here. I guess it could always use some proofreading.

Spoiler:
Assuming the translation is accurate, it seems like Maribel's been adventuring with Renko in other worlds for some time now. D'aaaw.  ...I still can't stop laughing at the ending, though.

Given how romantic ZUN makes the moon and space out to be in Touhou, I can't help but feel that his own personal story about why he doesn't actually care about space anymore is really really sad :(