Author Topic: ZUN's music collection vol.6 announced  (Read 43881 times)

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
Re: ZUN's music collection vol.6 announced
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »
Aside from the persumably-from-one-of-the-manga-bonus-discs song (which i haven't heard and thus will be treating as a new song), I love all the ones that will be remixed, and I can't wait from them. The new ones hopefully will be fantatic too.

Something to look forward to now!

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:39 AM »
All you people hating on Koishi needs to take this boxcutter and do horrifying stuff to yourself.

New music CD is always nice though I still can't help being a bit disappointed upon hitting up his blog, seeing something new and then it's just some music CD.  :(
Of course the new songs are what I'm looking most forward to.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
Who knows, maybe Hartmann's won't be repetitive ear-bleeding nonsense!
No hate for Koi Koi, just her ear-ravaging theme. :V
Betting that the new ZUN arrange of Hartmann's Youkai Girl will not sound the same playing backwards as well as forwards!!

Next you know we're going to have a title called the "I hate Koishi club" around the forums or something.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:26 AM »
Ear-bleeding? You people haven't heard Necrofantasia then. I almost thought I would go deaf.

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
Ear-bleeding? You people haven't heard Necrofantasia then. I almost thought I would go deaf.

Necrofantasia made me jump from my chair the first time I heard it, I wasn't expecting something THAT loud.  :P

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
Let us not turn this into a dumb "X theme is better than Y" discussion because opinions remain opinions. Express them without going too personal, or else just cry somewhere else. Please.

Btw, is this being sold at Reitaisai? I've spotted on the blog something about a booth ID.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
No, it's being sold at Comic 1, which is on the 30th. Also, he dropped some hints on Twitter about how there is still remaining stock of 5.5 that may be sold at a certain music event sometime soon. Vague as usual, but he might be talking about the Nico event on the 29th or M3 on the 30th.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
No, it's being sold at Comic 1, which is on the 30th. Also, he dropped some hints on Twitter about how there is still remaining stock of 5.5 that may be sold at a certain music event sometime soon. Vague as usual, but he might be talking about the Nico event on the 29th or M3 on the 30th.

Oh, really? Guessing it won't be possible to place requests through you, but maybe some more will hit second-hand stores. Hopefully.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 03:01:46 PM by Lepetit89 »

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »

Must suck to have bad speakers.

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »
Must suck to have bad speakers.

Must suck to have ears that doesn't work. HAR HAR HAR!   :]

No, it's actually a pretty awesome theme imo, i just really don't like that trumpet so it becomes obnoxious.

Oh and yes, it sucks to have bad speakers. The plug is damaged so sometimes they think mono is the way to go. Then you have to tamper with them for a little while until both speakers work. Why they behave like that just because the plug is bent a bit, i dunno.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »
But Necrofantasia is a pretty good example for a song that got much better on his Music-CD release, so whatever happens to those remade songs, I'm pretty sure we won't be disappointed.

I personally am looking forward the most to Hartmann and UFO Romance, as those are two of my favourites... and especially UFO Romance never got much love (at least I don't remember ANY remix that tried to do anything with the laughter in the original - if anyone knows one, that would be great)
Also, the new originals will definitely be something nice. Final track sounds like it could be interesting~

As an aside. I can't listen to PCBs Necrofantasia outside of the game without it kinda repelling me, but in the context of the game, while playing or even in the music room, it seems to just work so damn well.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Hating Koishi is the new old hip thing to do. 8)

I was hating Koishi before Gpop even discovered her.
I was loving Koishi before you even hated her :V *inb4infiniteloop*

Also, Renko has one leg

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
I was loving Koishi before you even hated her :V *inb4infiniteloop*

Are you saying ... you knew you loved her before you met her?

Dammit now that song is in my head.

Also, Renko has one leg

No, she's striking an amazingly cool pose.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »
No, she's striking an amazingly cool pose.

or posing for Cripple Girls.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 01:24:20 AM »
or posing for Cripple Girls.

Excuse me as I go get some more milk to replace the pints of it that just came out of my nose.

That was quite gold.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 04:24:34 AM »
awesome =) more music to play in my car with my windows rolled down.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »
I personally am looking forward the most to Hartmann and UFO Romance, as those are two of my favourites... and especially UFO Romance never got much love (at least I don't remember ANY remix that tried to do anything with the laughter in the original - if anyone knows one, that would be great)
Also, the new originals will definitely be something nice. Final track sounds like it could be interesting~
Does this count? It's more of a cover than a remix, but that laugh is AWESOME. It's all the better if you know where it comes from.

I didn't know that Hartmann's Youkai Girl was so disliked. I love every single Extra/Phantasm boss theme there is, Koishi's is no exception. Also very much looking forward to the new cd.

Tengukami

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
I didn't know that Hartmann's Youkai Girl was so disliked. I love every single Extra/Phantasm boss theme there is, Koishi's is no exception. Also very much looking forward to the new cd.

ZUN seems to have a problem balancing trumpets against other instruments. The levels on them are just way too high. Even in some of my favorite pieces of his, like Voyage 1969, he does this - the piano and drums will be just fine, and the piano in that song especially is really beautiful, but then the trumpets come in at like four times the levels they should be.

Mind you, this isn't a hard and fast rule. In songs of his that are all about the trumpets, like Wind God Girl, the horns are just fine. But he does have this tendency to mix his songs with "NEEDS LOUDER TRUMPETS!" in mind.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ZetaBladeX13

• I've had to make how many now?
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
Renko looks especially ZUNy on the cover art, I have to admit.

The cover art does show a certain level of regression, imho

...not that it's going to stop me from buying it :3
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:15:53 PM by ZetaBladeX13 »

Hooray for having to make yet another one =D
Original account: 8/20/2008

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
Not really been enjoying this weird 2D angle style myself. A lot of the portraits in TD made the characters look like they had 2x4s up their butts. 

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »
ZUN seems to have a problem balancing trumpets against other instruments. The levels on them are just way too high. Even in some of my favorite pieces of his, like Voyage 1969, he does this - the piano and drums will be just fine, and the piano in that song especially is really beautiful, but then the trumpets come in at like four times the levels they should be.

Mind you, this isn't a hard and fast rule. In songs of his that are all about the trumpets, like Wind God Girl, the horns are just fine. But he does have this tendency to mix his songs with "NEEDS LOUDER TRUMPETS!" in mind.
Some people just love dem trumpets, though.
Not really been enjoying this weird 2D angle style myself. A lot of the portraits in TD made the characters look like they had 2x4s up their butts.
This actually suits Yoshika well in regards to her physical condition.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
Random speculation on the storyline (if there is one)

The story will be about Maribel's trip to the Lunar Capital (the Gensokyo in Outer Space. Also, the moon could be considered a trojan... but not a trojan asteroid. The first trojan asteroid that orbits earth was discovered in 2011, so I don't know if the name of the CD is just a shout out to that, or if it will be what the overall story is about).  It pretty much matches Yukari's story to Ran in CiLR. The first parts/sections will be about her getting to the moon, trying to go back when she realizes she can't enter the Lunar Capital, and getting caught by the Lunarians. However, it turns out that Yukari didn't tell Ran the complete story.  After surrendering to the Lunarians, for whatever reason, they decide to show a little generosity and let Maribel see the Lunar Capital after all (alternatively, she gets to see it because she's held "captive" in the same way that Reimu was.  IE, not very).  The final section(s) are thus about her exploring the Lunar Capital, which has been referred to as the equivalent of the Moon's Gensokyo in other official works (IE, the Gensokyo in Outer Space) for a happy ending.

...of course, I don't really fully expect that to actually turn out to be the case (I'd give it a... 20% probability?). Although it'd be nifty if it was.

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
Random Touhou music opinion time. Everyone's favorite time of the day.

As much as I respect ZUN for his musical talent, I find his music collections rather boring. ZUN's arrangements stick very close to the source material, keeping the entire rhythm and most of the same instruments. The changes ZUN makes to his own melodies are more cosmetic than creative, and I usually find myself preferring the original.

On the other hand, ZUN could take a few pointers from his partner U2 Akiyama. Over half the time, I find myself preferring U2's arrangements over ZUN's original. A small part of U2's success lies in his more up-to-date synthesizer, which allows him to draw out more fulfilling sounds. The biggest part lies in U2's willingness to add new dimensions to his music, by tapping into many different genres and using a wide variety of instruments. U2 always manages to retain the best parts of the source material - his arrangements still resemble the originals. You could say U2 gives ZUN proper respect, while still pushing the creative frontier as best he can. You can probably tell U2 is my favorite Touhou arranger.

I do enjoy the original pieces ZUN composes for his music collections. ZUN is very skilled at making new rhythms, ones I love to repeat over and over in my head. I only wish he would make new ones instead of rehashing older ones with slight changes, and get U2 to do more of his stuff.

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »
Agreed.  I find ZUN's arrangements of his game music to be missable at best.  Phantom Factory is the notable exception.

However, just like with his game music, he writes his album tracks with the given setting in mind.  Aside from DiPP, it was a treat to read the stories that went along with the albums at the pace of the music.  Not only did the music and writing superbly compliment each other, but the stories made listening to the arrangements an interesting experience instead of a tedious one.

Speaking of album stories, Kafka Fuura recently translated the story behind Wayfarers, a Touhou arrangement album by schwarzwald.  It's done similarly to ZUN's music albums: an (unofficial) adventure with Mary and Renko, and 2/3 of the arrangements are of tracks from the music albums.  While the writing doesn't quite duplicate ZUN's, I thought it was still fun to read - especially while listening to the music, which is outstanding.  Read it here.
[won't post an album download link on motk, but - if you want a sampling - a few of the tracks are on youtube and will show up with a circle + album search]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:29:37 AM by K.B. »
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
ZUN's new art is quite strange. Some characters come out very pretty looking, like Seiga and Kyouku. And then you get some weird ones...

I'm surprised to see this hatred for Hartmann's Youkai Girl. Personally I think it's the only interesting sounding one on there, aside from the new songs.

I might be interested in Desire Drive if I wasn't absolutely sure it will be worse than the original. Same for Cosmic Mind.

UFO Romance reminds me of La Blue Girl's theme.

Guilty. They're the best part of his newer songs in my opinion.

Tengukami

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »

I love the trumpets, too - I'm talking about the levels he sets them at. They're often entirely too loud. Like, I love batter fried chicken, but I wouldn't love someone forcing giant chunks of chicken meat down my throat.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
I couldn't understand Hartmann haters until recently when I actually thought about it a bit.

As a song, it kind of sucks. As Koishi's "theme" - even more. Arguably. As background music for Koishi's fight, though, it is incredible.

Looking forward to all these arranges. The new song titles are interesting, to say the least. Makes you wonder how the songs themselves will sound.

Tengukami

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:21 PM »
I couldn't understand Hartmann haters until recently when I actually thought about it a bit.

As a song, it kind of sucks. As Koishi's "theme" - even more. Arguably. As background music for Koishi's fight, though, it is incredible.

I felt the same way about Emotional Skyscraper. When I first heard it, I laughed my ass off. I was like, "WTF is this? It sounds like the OP to a bad 90s mecha anime."

Then I heard while fighting Byakuren, and it gave me goosebumps.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2012, 01:11:22 AM »
I felt the same way about Emotional Skyscraper. When I first heard it, I laughed my ass off. I was like, "WTF is this? It sounds like the OP to a bad 90s mecha anime."

Then I heard while fighting Byakuren, and it gave me goosebumps.
Same here.  For many post-IN themes, I didn't actually start liking them until I heard them in-game first, with Koishi's theme being no exception.  Still, though, I'm interested in seeing how the arranges turn out.  Though most of them in past music collections were essentially the same thing as the original, there were quite a few arranges that I really enjoyed due to the slightly more significant changes made to them.

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 03:23:17 AM »
Random music opinion time strikes again.

I feel the same about one of ZUN's most popular songs: "Love-colored Master Spark." I first heard the song while fighting Marisa, and the song sounded like two rainbows having sex with each other. Alright, maybe my description is too far from the truth. Indeed, when playing in-game, Marisa's theme sounds like a frenzied rainbow orgy. Then, I heard the song on headphones... most of the excitement disappeared. But then again, I was trying to dodge an overflowing sea of homing stars before, so I was paying little attention to the music. I can only ascertain the "true" worth of a song when I'm lying in bed with the lights turned off, ready to judge how good the rhythms and melodies sound.

I love the trumpets, too - I'm talking about the levels he sets them at. They're often entirely too loud. Like, I love batter fried chicken, but I wouldn't love someone forcing giant chunks of chicken meat down my throat.

I prefer to think of ZUN's trumpets as crack. No matter how much you sniff, you always crave more. The problems arise when your body begins to adapt to the drug, causing each subsequent intake to be less pleasurable. In other words, the first time I heard "Necro Fantasy ~ A Maiden's Illusionary Funeral", I felt like I was listening to the voice of God. I had trouble restraining myself from replaying Ran's theme at least 10 times, or even just the one section with the epic brass blasts. Now, the song sounds like trumpets and pianos to me. Good ones, of course, but the initial ecstasy and excitement degraded into a more mature, nostalgic feeling.

On the other hand, songs like "Wind God Girl" lose their appeal faster because they rely only on the trumpets for energy. Indeed, ZUN's trumpets may be crack, but his pianos are LSD. Intoxicating oneself with multiple stimulants at the same time produces a more powerful and longer lasting effect, I suppose. From personal experience, my favorite songs from ZUN contain some mixture of instrumentation. I've made a list of my favorites at the bottom of the post for those who are interested.

Mixing up genres would increase my already high appreciation for ZUN's music. He tends to do either bombastic epic triumphant victorious dramatic for the games, or makes them a little more ambient in his music collections. As stated before, I think ZUN's old synthesizer has limitations (like 8-bit music) which almost leaves him locked into producing the same type of song. For example, "Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial" and "Faith is for the Transient People" almost sound like rock rhythms to me, but the lack of electric guitar leaves me second-guessing. Then U2 Akiyama and about 100 other arrangers came in with an electric guitar, and now everyone remembers these themes as hardcore rock.

Same here.  For many post-IN themes, I didn't actually start liking them until I heard them in-game first, with Koishi's theme being no exception.

I am glad someone else also believes ZUN changed up his musical style, although I would argue he changed the most after Mountain of Faith's soundtrack. Before and during then, all of his songs had instant and direct appeal to my ears. Like rainbows having sex, listening to God's voice, etc. But when I heard the tracks for Subterranean Animism, I was wondering who ZUN hired as his replacement composer. Turns out the songs were just far less catchy, although they may have gained longer shelf lives (they sound better for longer) in exchange. The lone exception is Hartmann's Youkai Girl - although Koishi's theme may not compare to ZUN's previous epics, the song is still fappable enjoyable to a lesser degree.

As promised, here are my absolute favorites: "Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon", "Border of Life" (unarranged version), "The Gensokyo the Gods Loved", "Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess", "Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's 'Kappa' ~ Candid Friend", "Higan Retour ~ Riverside View"