Author Topic: Beyond the Veil  (Read 2990 times)

Deviox

• Game on gamers, game on
Beyond the Veil
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
I've been lurking around here for QUITE some time.  I hope to get this story actualy FINISHED.  We'll see how this goes. 

Chapter 1 ? Into Eastern Wonderland

It was a bright and sunny day, or at least it was supposed to be. Instead, it's raining, hard. Thunder could be heard in the distance; Maribel Hearn and Renko Usami were stuck at an abandoned shrine, doing their club activities, the old Moriya shrine to be exact. Their friend, Sanae Kochiya, used to be the shrine maiden here, until she disappeared one day, without a trace at that too. The shrine looked normal one day, and abandoned the next. However, mostly everyone paid it no mind, assuming that they hadn't noticed it abandoned before.

Renko was dressed up in a white dress shirt, with a tie. Around her waist was a long skirt, and around her arms were bands. She wore a Bowler hat, and wore long boots. Maribel wore a purple dress with a tie on it, and a white mob cap.

"?And that's why I never trust the weather man!" Renko said, flaring her arms up. "It was supposed to be perfectly sunny, not even a chance for rain, and what do we get? A thunderstorm, that's what!" Renko ranted on and on, until her partner interrupted her.

"Renko, look!" Maribel said, pointing towards the window. "I see something!"

Renko raised an eyebrow, and took a look at where Maribel was looking. "I don't see anything." Renko said back. "I guess you see a border of some sort Mary?" Maribel, or Mary for short, nodded.

As they approached the invisible border, thunder struck once more, getting much closer. "It looks really new." Maribel took a close look, into the other side, Renko was about to speak up when Mary then said something, cutting Renko off. "I know; I'm looking at the other side now." What she saw, caught completely by surprise.

She saw a fairly young looking girl with green hair sweeping that appeared to be to be the same Moriya shrine they were in. "What is it?" Renko said, reading the expression on her partner's face. "You know that I can't see what's there." This snapped Maribel out of her confused state, and looked back at Renko.

"I saw the Moriya Shrine." This caused Renko to open her eyes wide open.

"But, how is that possible, we're at the Moriya Shrine right now!" Renko exclaimed. She then placed her hand under her chin, and thought, looking at where Maribel was looking not too long ago. That was, until the Thunder derailed her train of thought. "The thunder's getting closer, a lot closer."

Since they didn't bring any umbrellas, they were stuck at the shrine until the storm subsided. The thunder, on the other hand, became more frequent, especially as it came closer to the shrine. The group paid it no mind however. This was, until the thunder was, quite literally, on top of the shrine. Thunder could be heard repeatedly striking, to the point where the duo had to cover their ears just to think. Soon after, a bright white light enveloped them. Covering their eyes, they braced for the worst. Soon, Renko and Maribel started to feel their consciousness fade, until they were out.

Yukari Yakumo awoke with a stir. Her Shikigami, Ran Yakumo, then walked in, while the ever so cute and hyper Chen could be seen peeking in through the same doorway. "You're up early." Ran commented.

Yukari was wearing her typical night clothing that consists of a deep purple dress, and a pink mob cap with a red ribbon. Ran was wearing her normal getup, a white and blue dress with a white 2 tailed hat, and had 9 tails coming out from behind her, indicating that she was a 9 tailed fox. Meanwhile, Chen wore an Orange dress, with white short sleeves, and a green mob cap, which had her cat ears coming out of them, her left with a gold earring.

"I assume something is amiss?" Ran then said. Yukari looked back, getting out of bed.

"No, I just had a bad dream." Yukari spoke back. She then opened up one of her trademark gaps, which consisted of an opening in space, held together at the end by two ribbons, and filled with eyes, and walked through it, appearing out of another one wearing her normal clothing. Now, she was wearing a White and purple dress, rather than a pure purple one. Her hair also seemed to be less of a mess then when she first woke

"I'm going out for a walk; make sure the place is in one piece when I come back." And with that, Yukari opened up yet another gap, and left the Yakumo residence. Ran then took out a tissue that had red smearing on it, and quickly disposed of it, later glaring at Chen.

It was a bright and sunny day in Gensokyo. Sanae Kochiya was busy sweeping the front of the Moriya Shrine. She wore a Miko outfit, consisting of white and blue colors, had green hair, with her front left much longer then her right, dropping down to her shoulder. Around that was a Snake, to represent her Shrine's current goddess, Kanako. Her hair also consisted of a frog face, to represent her distant mother Goddess, and previous shrine owner, Suwako.

"Hm," Sanae said, remembering back to the days when she lived in the outside world. "I wonder what Renko and Maribel are up to? Still busy doing those club activities I bet." She continued sweeping. She remembered the time when Renko and Sanae got lost in the forest, and yet Renko somehow guided them out. She said that it was just luck, but Sanae remember having her doubts about that. She then assumed it was her miracles giving power that got them out.

Then there was that time when Renko introduced her to Maribel. Maribel, or Mary as Renko nicknamed her, seemed to have some weird aura about her. She couldn't put her finger on it at the time, and probably won't be able to without seeing her in person again, but she thinks' that there's something very magical about Maribel. Then Renko told Sanae that she was going to make a club with Mary to seek out the supernatural stuff. Sanae wasn't too sure what to think of at the time, but now, she wonders if finding Gensokyo is on their to-do list.

Sanae, knowing she had other duties as the shrine maiden, started to head back inside to tend to several of them, such as managing donations. A sudden flash of light, however, forced Sanae to instinctively shield her eyes. She couldn't believe what she saw when she unshielded her eyes. "Oh my gods, is that?"

Renko slowly opened up her eyes. Her vision was quite blurry, and was practically unable to make left from right. Feeling her surroundings, she felt that she was lying down in a bed of sorts. She could then see her vision coming back. What she saw, once her vision fully returned, was a fairly small room. To her right was an open window, with a gentle breeze coming through. The location of the window, and the trees near it, prevented her from seeing the sky, however. To her left was Maribel, still knocked out from that light.

"Ah, you're awake." A voice came through the door, as a green haired girl walked in. "I take it that you don't recognize me?" All Renko could do was tilt her head.

"No, I don't." Renko then examined her more closely. "But, I can't shake the fact that I know you." The green haired girl just smiled at that.

"I'll go prepare some tea. Honey tea to be exact. We have a lot to talk about when your friend wakes up." She said as she walked out. Honey tea, it was Renko's favorite kind of tea. She briefly blinked at this, and then turned her attention to the window. She pulled herself up, and walked to the window, trying to get a clear view of the sky. She was still unable to get a view, however, now because of a strange pillar sticking out of the ground, with a very thick rope around it, and paper in a folded fashion hanging down from said rope.

Groaning was then heard as Maribel woke. Renko approached Maribel, and offered her a hand, which Maribel took. Maribel took in her surroundings, unable to know what to think of it.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"I don't know," Renko replied. "I can't get a good look." As obscure as it was, Maribel understood what it meant. Then, the Green haired girl walked back in with a Tea kettle, and three empty cups.

"I suppose I should answer your first question." She said, pouring some tea. Renko and Maribel promptly took their cup. There was a short pause, and then the green haired girl spoke up. "Welcome to Gensokyo."

Deviox

• Game on gamers, game on
Re: Beyond the Veil
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:58:56 AM »
Had this sitting around for a while, figured i might as well upload it while I'm sick.  Also, criticism is kinda requested...

Chapter 2 ? A mysterious past?

After cleaning up the tea that Renko and Maribel spilt, she decided to converse with the goddess of her shrine, Kanako.  Kanako was like Sanae?s mother.  She wore an elaborate red dress, had long purple hair, and a large circle Shimenawa, or large Rope, circle on her back.
   ?Well, they took it a bit, hmm, differently than expected.?  Kanako said.  She expected a reaction, but not like this.  ?It?s clear that they were looking for a way in at some point in time.? Sanae nodded at this.
   ?They did start an occult club, with just the two of them before we left.  Only the gods would know what they were really after.?  Sanae replied.
   ?Well, this God does not know what they were after.? Kanako sighed.
   ?Aw, come on, use your imagination!? a new, childish voice then blurted out.  In came Sanae?s many-great grandmother, Suwako said.  She wore a simplistic purple dress that had frogs on them, and white sleeves.  She had a large rimed top hat with two boggle eyes at two sides.
   ?What if those two girls are more than human, huh?  What if they?re the children of some Youkai, and wanted to join their??
   ?Suwako let?s be practical here.?  Kanako cut Suwako off.  ?If they were Youkai, I would know.?  Suwako merely shrugged.
   ?Well, I?m just saying that you?re thinking too inside the box!?  Suwako retorted, stomping away.  ?I have an evil Ice Fairy to kill, I?ll be back later.?  She said as she walked out, later flying away.
   Sanae briefly scratched the back of her head.  ?Renko seems to have lost her edge.?  She then said.  ?I remember when Renko would snap at someone when they tapped her on the shoulder.?
   Kanako nodded.  ?She?s defiantly become a lot gentler then when you first met her.?  She reminisced.  ?And her friend, Maribel was it?  It?s like she?s in incantation of that gap hag.?
   ?Ah, you?re right.  Do you think there?s any relation??  Sanae said.
   ?I don?t know.  I?m not as all powerful as I would like to be.?  Kanako said, regretfully.  ?I wouldn?t be surprised if we?re doing exactly what she wants us to do.?

?I swear I?ve seen that girl before,? Renko stressfully said, ?but where?  Argh, it?s so annoying!?  Maribel just stared, eyes wide open.  She?s learned not to get too close to Renko when she?s like that.  Then, as if on cue, the green haired girl walked back in.
   ?Are you stressing yourself out again, Renko??  She said.  Renko?s eyes then went wide open.
   ?Ok, who the hell are you and how the hell do you know my name??  Renko then blurted out angrily.
   ?Oh, that?s not a good way to treat an old friend of yours.?  The green haired girl said, frowning.  ?But, it has been a while, so I suppose I should give a fresh introduction.?  She then opened up the door, and led the two of them out.  They couldn?t believe what they saw.
   ?This is just like the Moriya shrine?? Maribel said.  The green haired girl looked back and smiled.
   ?That?s because it is the Moriya shrine.?  Renko blinked, and then entered deep thought.  ?And I am its maiden, Sanae Kochiya.?

?Boy it?s boring today, Ze.?  Boring it was.  Reimu managed to kick Marisa out of the shrine today, and she had nothing to do.  She looted the Scarlet Devil Manson yesterday, so that was out of the question.  She had a stockade of Mushrooms at home, so she didn?t need to go mushroom hunting.
   Soon, she found herself flying up Youkai Mountain.  ?Guess I might as well see what Sanae?s up to.?  Marisa thought to herself on her way up.  Soon, she noticed the shrine coming into view.
   ?Oi, Sanae!?  She yelled, trying to grab Sanae?s attention.  ?What?s up, Ze!?

Sanae, Renko, and Maribel were all outside when they heard someone call out in the distance.  Maribel?s eyes opened wide as she recognized what she saw.  It was?
   ??The witch from my dreams??  Maribel muttered to herself.  Sanae paid almost no mind to what she said.  Renko on the other hand knew what this meant.  They both knew that the witch loved fighting.
   ?Marisa, you?re not freeloading at Reimu?s today??  Sanae called out.  She didn?t like the fact Marisa decided to come here today.  That was obvious
   ?Freeloading?  I just head to her shrine a lot, Ze.  It does get lonely in the forest ya know!?  Marisa shot back.  She then noticed Sanae?s guests.  ?Got humans coming from the village to your shrine now?? Marisa said.  ?People from the village must really hate her.?  Marisa snickered to herself.
   ?They?re not guests, they?re the latest imports.?   Sanae said back.  Marisa?s eyes lit up.
   ?They?re outsiders?? Marisa examined the two outsiders.  ?I suppose with getups like that, that they?d be outsiders.?  Marisa then touched down at the shrine and hopped off her broom, and grabbed it.
   ?So, what are you going to do with them, Ze??  Marisa then asked Sanae.  Renko was staring at the now night sky, and conversing with Maribel about matters.  Neither Marisa nor Sanae listened to what they were really saying.
   ?I suppose I can get you to carry them to the human village.  Someone has to tend to the shrine and its guests.?  Sanae replied.  Marisa frowned and shook her head.
   ?No can do, Ze.?  Marisa sat on her broom and hovered for a bit.  ?Only enough room for one.?  Sanae frowned at that.
   ?Well, it?s too dangerous to send them alone.  They?re fresh imports.?  Sanae said as her voice started to trailing.  ?Well, I suppose??  Sanae appeared to enter deep thought.  ?It?s been years since she?  She hasn?t really fought since??  She continued to mummer things to herself.
   Marisa tilted her head at this, then remembering something.  ?Oh yeah, you?re also from the outside, do you know these two??
   ?But, well, I suppose??  Sanae said, still in deep thought.  Marisa desperately tried to get Sanae to snap out of her deep thought, but failed in doing so.  ?I suppose I?ll see what those two are talking about.

?How long do you think it?ll take till??  Maribel said before noticing Marisa walking up.  ?Oh, you?re done talking with Sanae??
   ?Not really, she just sorta spaced out, Ze.?  Marisa said.  ?So, what?re your names??
   ?Oh, I?m Maribel Hearn, and she?s Renko Usami.?  Maribel said.  ?We were members of an Occult club at our University before we wound up here.?  She then bowed.
   ?Oi, drop the formalities, Ze.  You?re embarrassing me.?  Marisa said.  Maribel promptly stopped bowing.  ?So, Mary, ya don?t mind if I call ya Mary??
   Maribel sighed.  ?Renko calls me Mary, so go ahead.?  It was a nickname that she didn?t like too much, but she lived with it.
   ?Good, Ze.?  Marisa said.  ?So, what is a University??  She asked.  ?Some outsiders that drop in say the same thing, but never really talked about it.?
   ?It?s a harder version of school.?  A voice said.  Sanae had apparently finished thinking.  ?Renko, how about you fight Marisa.?  Both Renko and Marisa opened their eyes.
   ?Fight a newbie? Are you out of your mind??  Marisa said.
   ?You know damn well I retired from fighting.? Renko said.  She was obviously mad at Sanae for bringing up that chapter of her life.
   ?Retired, from fighting??  Maribel asked.  This she did not know.  Renko was a fighter?  When?
   ?Oh, ya used to fight??  Marisa asked Renko.  ?What kind of fighting did you do?? She continued.
   ?Nope, not fighting, like I said, that chapter in my life is closed, sealed, non-existent, never happened.?  Renko said.  She was clearly against the whole idea of the fight.
   ?Nah, now I?m curious, an outsider who was a common fighter, I?m not letting this chance to pass.?  Marisa said, taking out a deck of cards.  ?I promise I?ll go easy, Ze!?
   ?Great, now you won?t let it go.  I assume that everyone here wants to see me fight now.?  Renko said as another figure walked out of the shrine, Kanako.  It appeared that everyone but Maribel nodded.  Renko then thought for a moment.  ?Alright, you win, I?ll fight.?  She said, cracking her knuckles
   ?Alright, Ze!?  Marisa said.  ?Since you can?t fly yet, I won?t fly either!?  She said.  Marisa lifted up her broom over her shoulder.  ?Lets see what you got!?
   ?All I wanted was to live peacefully, but now that I?m in Gensokyo, I guess I?ll have to throw that out the window for now.?  Renko thought to herself, entering a battle Stance.