Author Topic: Touhou Arcade?  (Read 13352 times)

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
Touhou Arcade?
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
Does this sound like an good idea? Personally I like it because that means people will buy the actual game because the game is too hard but they still want to play it. Unless it's those people who are hardcores. Well nobody has completed any Touhou game on Lunatic on their first try so yeah......
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Sana

• Good gravy!
Re: Touhou Arcade?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:26:37 AM »
....What? :S
You mean like this?

mark2000

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 04:43:27 AM »
It takes a special kind of madness to spend $2600 to play a $15 game. Do not do this.

Good that he is aware of the insanity he just did. I'll be honest though, that's one good-looking Cab.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »
In order to make a Touhou arcade shooter, you'd have to make a stand-alone Touhou game that revolves more around the arcade shooter aspect. IMO, Touhou games feel less like arcade shmups than, say, Dodonpachi.

Quintafeira12

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »
It takes a special kind of madness to spend $2600 to play a $15 game. Do not do this.

Good that he is aware of the insanity he just did. I'll be honest though, that's one good-looking Cab.

Makes me wonder how is it possible to make a cab for any other game and gain a profit anyways...

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
Just buy an arcade cabinet with a PC capable of running MAME, and work Touhou into the launcher before MAME loads. 

Granted, if you have enough money to buy a cabinet, you should give me some.  I'll make some good food for you!

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »
afaik, arcade games are designed so that you can't really beat them on your first go without "bullshit".
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

And it takes a certain kind of evil genius to make people do the same without even realizing there's another way: If he can hack the game a little to work with coins by locking the keys until a coin is inserted at the title screen; rework the continue system so that you had the time limited option to buy continues with quarters instead of working from a stock; and finally hide the options menu with it permanently set to Lunatic slightly under stock, it'd be brilliant! With Touhou being so obscure most people wouldn't even realize what's happening and being addictive as they are, I certainly bet Touhou games would make lots of money in an arcade. Lots and lots.

I'm just willing to bet he's advising against it simply in order to avoid competition. :P

Makes me wonder how is it possible to make a cab for any other game and gain a profit anyways...
They usually don't anymore. With home consoles being as common and powerful as they are, the day and age of arcade games is more or less over. It's kinda sad since I love the non-video based games like Air Hockey and Skiball, which are just too inconvenient for the average consumer to leave the home for alone. The average person just won't leave the house unless they can make a day of it after all. I also feel they're the only place video game players really could get together and socialize personally, not that I've ever really had the chance to do so myself.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »
I've said this before, I'll say again: I dream of a ZUN+Cave (or some other company such as Treasure) collaboration featuring Touhou characters on arcade (more like a spinoff, to not affect canon that much, or even another episode, if it's not going to be too much troublesome for ZUN to think of it). That would be awesome! (as long as the game still features silly, non-lethal fights)

ZUN's characters, setting and style, with Cave's patterns (this one would have ZUN's collaboration), bgms (same here), difficulty, pacing (think of stage portions), scoring system... TLBs... what can be more awesome than this? A future Seihou+Cave? :p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
Set it to a quarter per game and you just need 10400 plays to get even, or smartly set it to quarter to start with 3 life and quarter PER extra life and you can get even around 7800 assume half the players want to send a few more to get to the end.

Alternatively, set it to a dollar per game with 9 life, just need 2600 games to get even. Not that hard to make it back in one year assume the game is popular enough to have 7-8 games per day.

Game popularity and other factors will decide how long it takes to get even.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »
I've said this before, I'll say again: I dream of a ZUN+Cave (or some other company such as Treasure) collaboration featuring Touhou characters on arcade (more like a spinoff, to not affect canon that much, or even another episode, if it's not going to be too much troublesome for ZUN to think of it). That would be awesome! (as long as the game still features silly, non-lethal fights)

ZUN's characters, setting and style, with Cave's patterns (this one would have ZUN's collaboration), bgms (same here), difficulty, pacing (think of stage portions), scoring system... TLBs... what can be more awesome than this? A future Seihou+Cave? :p

Touhou Gensokyo-hime sama!
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube