Author Topic: Art Tips Thread II  (Read 214719 times)

Re: Art Tips Thread II
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »
I've been trying to figure out how to draw the head tilted upwards as seen from the front, but i don't get how the jaw shape changes. I understand that features like the eyes, ears, and hairline are placed differently in relation to each other, but when I try to draw the jaw, I get something like this.

So, how does it work?

I think that photo references are the best thing possible to know what something looks like. This might have been said over and over again by many people, but you could have someone take a photo of your head tilted, or taking one yourself, and see what that looks like. Using yourself as a possible reference is the easiest source to go to. xD

You could go to Google Images and search up "head angle references", see if anything suits your needs. :) Studying perspective/angle will help this a lot.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
I'll try that. Thanks :)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »
Well I decided to throw together a quick and easy avatar for now till I can figure out what to do but I think I just don't have enough knowledge to know how to make my sigs and avys unique enough.

So for starters any tips on how to make <---- That not look so plain and not just full of simple layers with layer effects. If possible could you explain how to do the process? I'm not very well versed in a lot of the workings on techniques, and I also use Gimp so that's also something I have to face with.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Teewee

« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
So, how does one go about quickening the speed in which they make artwork?

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
Experience.
The more you draw the more stable you get with it. After drawing the same pose for the fiftieth time you know what you're doing and it just flows.
Speed is something that just comes with time, nothing you focus on acquiring.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »
Is it safe to assume this thread is just for artists? Because I've asked 2 or 3 questions that yet had been answered. Where should I go for digital art questions?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:23:01 PM by Colticide »

pineyappled

« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
honestly, i think it would look better without the effects

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »
I'm sure that while any questions are acceptable, I don't think many people have much experience with digital editing here
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2014, 08:16:24 AM »
You can also try yourself at necromancy.
And if he won't receive an e-mail about a reply in his topic, you can send a PM, which he would almost certainly notice.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Teewee

« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
Experience.
The more you draw the more stable you get with it. After drawing the same pose for the fiftieth time you know what you're doing and it just flows.
Speed is something that just comes with time, nothing you focus on acquiring.

Understood.

Also, I've been having a hard time learning to draw books, despite having many around me to study. However much I study, I don't understand how to foreshorten the flaps relative to the spine from whatever angle I'd like. I even tore off the pages of a book to study it, and I'm still stumped.

What should I do?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:27:01 PM by TEspeon »

Teewee

« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
In terms of contour drawing, I've been advised to move my eyes slowly across the contour of the object I'm drawing. Thing is, that even in everyday use, my eyes never move slowly; the focus point of my vision just darts from place to place, not in any slow movement like the advice suggests.

What am I supposed to do about that?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2014, 03:00:26 AM »
Well I'm getting to the point where GIMP is falling behind on what I need to do so I've been thinking of getting photoshop (thank god for monthly plans... are they till it's paid off for forever?) so I was wondering what version of photoshop I should go with? I look on the main website and it looks like they have a Photoshop CC but is that the same as say CS2 is? It's been years since I used it... like Photoshop 7, so I'm a bit confused.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2014, 08:51:32 AM »
Before you go buy Photoshop, first try out Krita. I've tried it and thought that it was pretty packed with features and tools. Interface and brushes are especially nice. I don't use it because it's a bit heavy on my crappy laptop, but it's free so definitely check it out.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »
Well I'm getting to the point where GIMP is falling behind on what I need to do so I've been thinking of getting photoshop (thank god for monthly plans... are they till it's paid off for forever?) so I was wondering what version of photoshop I should go with? I look on the main website and it looks like they have a Photoshop CC but is that the same as say CS2 is? It's been years since I used it... like Photoshop 7, so I'm a bit confused.
Adobe CC is a subscription model. You pay indefinitely to keep using the product(s) - and whle it is cheaper than buying retail, it essentially ties you to Adobe's services (and if Adobe authenticaiton servers are down, well, forget being able to use the program!).

Before you go buy Photoshop, first try out Krita. I've tried it and thought that it was pretty packed with features and tools. Interface and brushes are especially nice. I don't use it because it's a bit heavy on my crappy laptop, but it's free so definitely check it out.
Haven't tried that program yet (Sketchbook Pro user here, and I tend to do more traditional sketching), but the FLOSS and cross-platform nature of this may make it a good go-to recommendation for any digital illustrators.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2014, 01:02:30 AM »
Well not gonna get CC then lol. Trying out Krita right now, feels familiar but does lag my PC a bit, comes with some interesting brushes.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
I'll also mention that the developers are actively working on it, so I make it a point to periodically check for updates. See if they fixed or added stuff.
There were a few instances in the past where I drew most of a pic in SAI and then imported the file into Krita for filters, effects and what not.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
A question on drawing pads, what should I look for when choosing one? Just looking for one that's decent for a beginner and can work with a lot of programs. I know next to none so not sure of some only work with Photoshop or more.

pineyappled

« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
Drawing pads as in tablets? Try Monoprice.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2014, 11:30:06 PM »
You can't go wrong with Wacom products. They're kind of the Adobe of graphic tablets. Meaning they're a bit pricey as well. The cheapest option is currently the Intuos for $80. Or you could search online for some of their older products.
I've heard good things about Monoprice, but I've never tried them so I can't say. They're also a bit cheaper, so take that into consideration.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:59 AM »
I've tried Monoprice and low-end Wacom. Monoprice is really, really good. I'd totally recommend it for anyone who's not drawing for a profession, though you should note that it's desperately lacking in tech support and may have compatibility issues - nothing you can't work around, and the price does make up for it, but it can still be a hassle.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
I'll look into them thank you, I don't plan to do it for a profession yet but I need to start working on getting better for the future.

Teewee

« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
How do I access Krita's eraser tool? On my comp, it doesn't seem to have one (I'm on Windows, if that helps any).

E: nvm figured it out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:45:25 PM by Four-Eyed Lemon »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2014, 03:55:14 AM »
So even though I posted this in the artwork topic I'm still looking for feedback on my spritesheet for Reimu. Any form of tips is great but what I am hoping for is if when you first see the sprite that you do in fact see it as Reimu when you first look at it. That was my goal however so it would be great if it did turn out like that. This was a customized sprite done in Game Character Hub.

EDIT: Oh also my avatar I'd like to be evaluated please! I'm not 100% sure how to go about it really, it's what I had in my head before I made it but not sure if the outlines are really good on Eiki but it was to help her not blend in with the scales of justice in the background. Speaking of the scales, is it not large enough? I felt it really fit with her and it made making it black and white simple but not sure if I should try to have it stand out more or since Eiki is the main focus that it should be made smaller or stay the same. The border seems a bit jagged and not sure how to fix that, but should I even add something to it for a actual border? So many questions, sorry!  :wikipedia:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:02:02 AM by Colticide »

Teewee

« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2014, 12:14:09 PM »
I did a bit of experimenting, and I just discovered a neat little trick in Sai in regards to filling things with base colors. You have all the lineart in one layer, the base color layer(s) under it, and when you select the areas in the lineart you want to fill, you then go to Selection->Increment. That makes expands the selection area so that when you fill in the color, you won't have any of that white pixel garbage.

Hope this helps someone!

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »

EDIT: Oh also my avatar I'd like to be evaluated please! I'm not 100% sure how to go about it really, it's what I had in my head before I made it but not sure if the outlines are really good on Eiki but it was to help her not blend in with the scales of justice in the background. Speaking of the scales, is it not large enough? I felt it really fit with her and it made making it black and white simple but not sure if I should try to have it stand out more or since Eiki is the main focus that it should be made smaller or stay the same. The border seems a bit jagged and not sure how to fix that, but should I even add something to it for a actual border? So many questions, sorry!  :wikipedia:

Try doing a 1-2px black outline on the white (character) side, and white on the other. The gray makes it look a bit fuzzy.

I did a bit of experimenting, and I just discovered a neat little trick in Sai in regards to filling things with base colors. You have all the lineart in one layer, the base color layer(s) under it, and when you select the areas in the lineart you want to fill, you then go to Selection->Increment. That makes expands the selection area so that when you fill in the color, you won't have any of that white pixel garbage.

Alt-s + 1 as a shortcut. For larger resolutions, you'll want to do it 2-3 times to get under the lines properly. Thin areas might not be selected properly though, so always do a manual checkup afterwards.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2014, 03:14:12 AM »
Hello all! I'm in need of some advice and help if possible. I'm looking to actually start drawing in general but hope to get to the point where I can make my own portraits for my projects. How should I begin to start? On paper or through things like photoshop? I do not have a tablet so how would someone like me get my stuff online or is it even possible to get high quality works without one?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »
I'd start with traditional paper and pencil first, for the basics learned there will help a lot in the long run - and it also lessens over-dependence on software-based "crutches" IMO (such as stylus steady stroke, Ctrl/Cmd-Z, etc.) That doesn't entirely mean that one should entirely forgo digital work, though, even at an entry level.

For getting things online, consider getting a scanner.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »
Hello all! I'm in need of some advice and help if possible. I'm looking to actually start drawing in general but hope to get to the point where I can make my own portraits for my projects. How should I begin to start? On paper or through things like photoshop? I do not have a tablet so how would someone like me get my stuff online or is it even possible to get high quality works without one?
1.) Draw with pencil and paper; 2.) Scan it; 3.) If you think you want to enhance it(like adding colors, etc), use either Sai(I prefer this) or Photoshop; 4.) Upload; 5.) Profit

You don't necessarily need a tablet. But TBH having one does take off some workload if you're really looking for quality work.
Some people manually use a mouse, but that'll take heaps of time, still people get thru it(It's how I started).

But I'd recommend you start by drawing manually first with pencil and paper. If you're looking for enhancing quality in digital software, I'd recommend you atleast start knowing the basic gist of what you're gonna be using and use it for other stuff like Photo Manipulation, Sig making, etc, instead of just focusing for drawings, since you'll get there eventually. Vectors are usually the easiest way to do it.

But if there's one thing I still use if I'm too lazy to actually draw something digitally. I'll just 1.) scan a manual drawing; 2.) use Photoshop; 3.) use Burn Tool set on: normal 0 hardness circular brush, Range: Midtones, Exposure: 100%; 4.) Use it on the drawing to increase contrast; 5.) Use Dodge Tool with same settings; 6.) Use it on the lighter parts of the scanned drawing(the blank white part of where you didn't draw and have no intention to), to lighten that part(since scanned pictures/drawing has those dark edges, or parts which is identifiable that it is, a scanned picture); 7.) Make new Layer; 8.) Start coloring with preferred basic colors with any brush you want on any settings you prefer; 9.) Set the layer to preferred Blending Option(mine is usually Multiply or Color Burn); 10.) Continue until you get desired colors on desired spots.

It'll probably look something like this.

Take Note: This isn't mine. It's from my friend. And no, I'm not a Brony.

I don't use this often this often, and he was actually the one who told me this. The reason why he does this isn't the same as mine. He really doesn't have a tablet.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

pineyappled

« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »
If you're looking to draw draw, then I would suggest these free guides by Andrew Loomis.
Specifically, I recommend starting with Fun with a Pencil since it's pretty fun and humorous and gets you excited, up and going

And yeah, I agree with the others that traditional pen/paper will be the best place to start. I feel you would be able to develop good skills and habits more easily with the direct, tactile hand-eye-paper-color response. Also carry around a sketchbook and put everything that pops up into your head down into it so you can get it out of there and make room for more stuff. Just generate ideas everyday and put them down. I should mention that sketchbooks are not supposed to be perfect, so experiment a lot. If you find yourself being very hesitant about doing something new, try switching over to a pen and develop a free-er, guiltless way of drawing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:29:42 AM by Mea »