Author Topic: Do people take the Touhou fanbase too seriously?  (Read 64755 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Do people take the Touhou fanbase too seriously?
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27:39 AM »
I think this thread is a lot worse than anything the rest of the fanbase has ever done.

Drake

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 02:31:52 AM »
the effect has pretty much turned into the cause by now

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:25 AM »
I think this thread is a lot worse than anything the rest of the fanbase has ever done.

Yes and yes.

There's a special board for this thread, and it rhymes with "cash brap".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:33 AM »

an ever-vomiting ouroboros of :words: and stupid

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »

an ever-vomiting ouroboros of :words: and stupid

....kinda off topic but I recognize your name and I was like wtf have I seen that name. Then it hit me that you were always posting pictures of dizzy on the seiken densetsu 3 forums on gamefaqs or something.. I think. Or at least the person who I THINK is you did. I'm curious am I correct? >=P.

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
Geeze, I've never seen a forum thread grow or die so quickly. Is this common here?

I feel so long as something isn't harmful to others, anybody should have the freedom to like or do whatever they want without needing to meet abnormal expectations. Unsavory people have nothing to do with fandom, it's too loose of an association. Being a fan does not make you automatically a part of any community, so expectations should be low if any. No harm, no foul basically.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that having certain expectancies of people in general is fairly common in all social structures. Flaming, trolling and spam are more or less universally despised within all web communities. I can also certainly see how people wouldn't want to wade through mountains of morons and garbage just to get to a handful of people and things if anything. It'd be very annoying. What constitutes tastefulness can very subjective thing though varying from individual to individual, so it's a bit hard to say what's what exactly.

As far as the subject of blame assignment goes, I feel that minor transgressions and nonissues should be forgiven. However by no means does simply not intending harm mean none has been caused. I believe people are responsible for their carelessness regardless of intent. If they weren't, ignorance of rules and regulations would be just cause to ignore them and accidents.

In the end it all boils down to what can reasonably expected of people. It's all very touchy and depends upon the exact social structure and circumstance. To simplify manners however, if people lack tactfulness and civility then they can certainly expect to be rejected by others, fandom or not.

Stereotypes are fun for a little playful teasing, but by no means should one seriously judge an individual for their fandom. The fact of the matter is that judging people based upon generalities discounts individuality and free will, which quite simply isn't cool.

As far as manners of likes and dislikes go however, it's more or less simply personal. I'm sure we've all enjoyed some things and griped about others. This isn't a manner of taking things too seriously as it is a manner of preference. If something is disliked by somebody, they naturally think it's stupid. Sometimes this can be applied to what does and doesn't constitute artistic greatness which consequently brings into question the judgment of others. I'm a bit guilty of this myself, though to be fair, I think most people are this way to degrees. Do you and another person like the same song? Why not check out their album collection and see if there's something else you like. If you think somebody is poorly dressed, would you take fashion advice from them? Sometimes as taste can be a manner of judgment, behind their backs, I've personally thought "Anybody who likes X is stupid because X is stupid" in general terms. On the other hand, I've never actually judged any particular individual on it, at least not seriously. It's just unaimed general griping, nothing serious.

Anyway, if the thread should die, my vote isn't to trash gap it but to throw it in Cirno's Perfect Math Class. It'd be an ironically fitting demise for a thread about the evils of being too serious, that had become too serious itself, to be thrown to the lions of playful silliness to be cannibalized. Don't you think? I think so anyway. I'd personally like to see what happens.  ^_^⑨ = Thumbs Down.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:57:12 AM by Tonepoet »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 07:07:51 AM »
Flaming, trolling and spam are more or less universally despised within all web communities.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tengukami

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Geeze, I've never seen a forum thread grow or die so quickly. Is this common here?

Not on this board anyway, despite my best efforts to derail this thread into a classical pianist flame war. I even threw in a Godwin. Nothing short of locking it up seemed capable of ending this ... what was the point of this anyway? "People on the internet are mean to me"? Or "the Touhou fandom has but one face and it is a stupid, stupid face"?

Buncha Chopin-lovin' Hitlers.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »
Flaming, trolling and spam are more or less universally despised within all web communities.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
You're not thinking about web communities; you're thinking about abominations. :P

Not on this board anyway, despite my best efforts to derail this thread into a classical pianist flame war. I even threw in a Godwin. Nothing short of locking it up seemed capable of ending this ... what was the point of this anyway? "People on the internet are mean to me"? Or "the Touhou fandom has but one face and it is a stupid, stupid face"?

Buncha Chopin-lovin' Hitlers.

Ah, thanks for answering, it's quite appreciated. As for the main topic, I believe the lowest common denominator is "Elitists suck." It's kinda hard to tell as the original post seemed to shift gear about halfway through though.

Also, parts of the original post, especially the opening line seem to reference the Touhou is NOT an Anime topic. That might just be me reading too deeply into it though, as I spent perhaps a little too much time in that thread... So, uh, yeah... Take that as you will...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:47:39 AM by Tonepoet »

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »
If someone trolls the heck out of you for liking Touhou and cites a bad point about the series' fandom, just cite a good one and then ignore them if they don't take the hint that 'while 90% of everything is crap, there's 10% worth dying for', then just ignore them.

And if you can't ignore them, then do what the masters do and just act politely towards them -- eventually, they'll either tire, die out, give up, or end up looking like an idiot or jackass themselves.

It's simple zen logic.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Quad City QBs

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2009, 02:07:24 PM »
You know who else liked Touhou?  HITLER.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
That was.....so epic....

Tengukami

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »

As many of these Downfall parodies as I've seen, I still laughed heartily at "No, mein Fuhrer, Sanae is a good girl!"

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »

Thread win - Case closed.

( OH god, I never laughed so hard lately , brilliant )

Momizi Inubashiri

• Banned
  • For :files:
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
(feel free to rage about this)
touhou is not a anime. people may say its LIKE an anime game becuse of the way the girls are drawn. well thats how i wold think of it =/.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »
It is the way IOSYS etc draws them. Not ZUN. If you would show people mere picture of ingame portraits of one of the girls, I am sure anime is NOT the first thing to pop in their minds.

Drake

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
It might be the second thing to pop into their minds. Because, you know. (ry

saiyoucho

• *Ahem*.. Mukyu!
    • Touhou Sweden
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2009, 07:17:05 PM »
Way too much stuff in here to read. I read the first post and some.
I'm always puzzled how people manage to bring up all these HUGE arguments and crap from just minor points or basically nothing at all.

The following statements are pretty much facts:
-------------------------------------------------

1. Just about < 95% of Youtube comments and/or users are down right stupid and/or made of flaming/trolling/hate/etc.

2. FFS Any kind of fandom, be it Final Fantasy or Touhou or whatever is meant to be fun. And there is no reason to start a war over minor points such as if a character's personality isn't the same as in a doujin. Come on we all know it's just stupid to argue about. Some people like the fanmade personalities and some don't, so just drop it.

3. If things about Touhou were so batshit serious, ZUN would probably not let anyone produce their doujin pieces. By only mentioning him in the credits.

4. One of the major arguments always seem to come up about the "What anime is this" thing. Instead of just bashing people to bits, is it so damn hard to just explain that the anime is unofficial and that it's a shooter game? That would just end the discussion at that time, instead of starting an ongoing flamewar.

5. Purists should calm down, (see point 2). Because there is no reason to flame people about stuff just because it doesn't follow the Original storyline and/or character personalities or whatever. If the original is your preference and you don't like unofficial things, then fine. Stick with it, but you don't have to mash it in everyones face just to make a point.

I could probably make this list longer than a freaking bible, but people should get it by now anyway.

It can pretty much be summed up with:
Stop bashing crap for no good reasons. If someone asks what "anime" it is, just explain instead of hitting RRRAGE mode, and just take it easy.

Geez people always overreact so much.
And now I'll be away from the computer for a while.

If this post don't make you go RAGE mode or start a flamewar, give yourself a pat on the back for having become a better person. =)
I will be back later.
Take me to your library, give me your spellbooks.

Tengukami

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
Oh look, another Chopintard chimes in.

Tengukami

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »
Also: how did this thread suddenly become the "what anime is this" thread?

I so confuse!

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
Also: how did this thread suddenly become the "what anime is this" thread?

I so confuse!
Good ol' Getting-Off-Topic-Ability of the Maidens of the Kaleidoscope.

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
Modern "trolls" keep going regardless of whether you ignore them or not because they're so convinced they're getting an IRL reaction regardless. You know Chris-Chan didn't react to Encyclopedia Dramatica for about 8 months, but they kept at him until they drove him insane.

Very wrong. I remember quite well seeing the original thread in /v/ when they first started trolling him. It started with a person in 4chan's /v/ talking with him, I don't remember the specifics, but his reaction towards learning about the thread was what helped spark them to continue. They wrote an ED article and he created an account to try and modify said page. They fed off of that and continued. and et cetra. That 8 months that he didn't mess with ED, him and the trolls were going at it at other places, action and reaction.

Chris Chan at least had enough sense to stay the hell away from ED itself for the longest time. The people on /v/ and the ones on ED weren't necessarily the same. /v/ treated him as a folly whereas ED had a much more sadistic viewpoint.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »
Please post all "touhou is not anime" complaint in Touhou is not anime topic, we don't need another one and is best to not add any unnecessary fuel to this topic...America needs all the fuel it can gets... :V

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »

Yes and yes.

There's a special board for this thread, and it rhymes with "cash brap".

Honestly it's replies like this that make threads "shit" to begin with. My basic point was that it's heavily in how you react to it, and if you act like even talking about something being horrible is horrible in of itself. These kind of replies are exactly the sort the 2F2F thread got initially.

These replies reek of the "Better nerd" crap I was talking about. There's nothing wrong with my posts in this thread. You can agree or disagree. But making patronising comments like this that don't really say anything are the only truly objectional content in this thread. The insistance that even talking about problems called problems has zero foundation in reality but is very popular online because it's easier than sitting down trying to understand anything.

Drake

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
We're saying that you're taking people taking the Touhou fanbase too seriously too seriously.

Everything that needs to be said has been said, and now you're just kind of trying to make fire out of ashes. We know this and we've figured that this thread is only going to get worse as more is being put into it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:45:34 PM by Drake »

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »
We're saying that you're taking people taking the Touhou fanbase too seriously too seriously.

But I gave a reason why that's something that should be taken seriously. I made it clear I don't think nothing should be taken seriously. What I'm talking about is getting too upset over doujin stuff and having this idea of "inferior fans". This attitude in of itself, I think is something people need to be serious about, because any community I've seen that's been "Laid back" about people acting like this falls apart. It's elitism, and elitism only grows while ignored. It doesn't really have to either, it doesn't happen to everyone fandom or community, just near on most.

I'm really upset with some of the replies. I only meant well by the post and if it was too much drama for you, you didn't have to reply. I wish people would realise it's the snide, one line replies that make things crappy. People seem to presume that because a post is long, it must be nonsense. Which is nonsense. I'd prefer to hang out with the "fanon" types even though I've made fun of them, cringed at some of the WAIFU type threads here, and laughed at some jokes directed at them, if they're at least nice.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:50:07 PM by Rosie Rune »

Quad City QBs

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
if you act like even talking about something being horrible is horrible in of itself.

nothing bad can ever come of talking about praaaaaawblems, that's why I always make a point of telling my friends I don't think they pay enough attention to me, or that such and such's girlfriend is really driving us apart

nope, no self-fulfilling prophecies here, nosirree

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
if you act like even talking about something being horrible is horrible in of itself.

nothing bad can ever come of talking about praaaaaawblems, that's why I always make a point of telling my friends I don't think they pay enough attention to me, or that such and such's girlfriend is really driving us apart

nope, no self-fulfilling prophecies here, nosirree

This is an example of a "wrong" reply.

Actually, it is good to discuss problems. You're just using poor social standards and poor examples to back up your case. This is how adults actually do things believe it or not. I think people are starting to become massive dicks for no good reasons. I explained why. This is a good way of doing things. Yours is not.

If you genuinely don't feel like you're getting enough attention, then yes you should bring that up. Or if someone's girlfriend is driving you apart, then there are times when you should bring that up. It's a kind of cost/benefit analysis. If it's going to cause more harm than good, then it might be a bad idea.

But threads like this don't need to drive people apart like "Oh your girlfriend is causing troubles for us...". So the point isn't really relevant at all.

You can't solve any problem if you don't talk about it, and reach some kind of solution or consensus. Sometimes with problems all you have to do IS talk about it, if people are people dicks, then sometimes someone just needs to point out it. But then people get arrogant and defensive and say how much it doesn't matter, that it's DRAMA, etc., these are defense mechanisms.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:04:54 PM by Rosie Rune »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:44 PM »
Seriously Rosie Rune, you are taking Touhou fanbase who take it too seriously who take it too serious WAY too serious. You are making it sound like a frikken crusade now. What the hell.

And discussions are useful when solutions flow out of them, in this case there is none of use and oh yea: NEWS FLASH: You cannot fix over thousands of corrupted/badly informed brains. Unless you are a world leader. NEWS FLASH 2: You are not.