Author Topic: Do people take the Touhou fanbase too seriously?  (Read 65173 times)

Re: Do people take the Touhou fanbase too seriously?
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »
Seriously Rosie Rune, you are taking Touhou fanbase who take it too seriously who take it too serious WAY too serious. You are making it sound like a frikken crusade now. What the hell.

And discussions are useful when solutions flow out of them, in this case there is none of use and oh yea: NEWS FLASH: You cannot fix over thousands of corrupted/badly informed brains. Unless you are a world leader. NEWS FLASH 2: You are not.

But here's the thing, many of the people are that are exactly what I'm talking about are saying this. So if they can recognise the problem, then yes they can change their mindset.

And actually, you can fix over thousands of corrupted/badly informed brains just as one random guy can lead to those brains becoming corrupted/badly informed. Memetics goes both ways. If some cool guy here reads this thread and decides to being an ass to the doujin writer fan types, then people will jump on that bandwagon like wildfire. There are actually tons of positive social trends, you just don't notice them.

However if said Cool Guy comes in and sees everyone saying Shut the Fuck Up to this thread, it's not going to have that effect.

Heck the entire Doujin circle exists as a social contract which we'd view as impossible in the west. There's no real impossible in terms of "changing minds" except what you make up your mind is possible/impossible.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:23:39 PM by Rosie Rune »

Drake

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:36 PM »
But I gave a reason why that's something that should be taken seriously. I made it clear I don't think nothing should be taken seriously.
Yes. Alright. But I don't think you've been reading our replies very well if you're still talking about the same damn subject you have been for the past three pages.

What I'm talking about is getting too upset over doujin stuff and having this idea of "inferior fans". This attitude in of itself, I think is something people need to be serious about, because any community I've seen that's been "Laid back" about people acting like this falls apart.
No. This is false. Just because a community is laid-back about arrogant attitudes doesn't mean it will fall to shit. It can, but it can also fall to shit if you're doing what you're doing right now and taking everything in like it's your life's mission to resolve everyone's problems.

It's elitism, and elitism only grows while ignored. It doesn't really have to either, it doesn't happen to everyone fandom or community, just near on most.
Spoilers: Touhou has had an elitist fanbase for a long time. This is why we're all separated into those groups I talked about. Because there's so many interpretations, this is going to happen. There's no avoiding it.

I'm really upset with some of the replies. I only meant well by the post and if it was too much drama for you, you didn't have to reply.
I hate attitudes like this. "You don't have to reply if you don't like it lol". You're being a hypocrite right now, talking about how we need to take this seriously yet are fine with people ignoring you for being too laid-back about it. I for one am damn pleased with the responses from this thread and I don't think it could have gotten much better than what he got. Unfortunately, your consistent arguing is making it an annoyance.

I wish people would realise it's the snide, one line replies that make things crappy. People seem to presume that because a post is long, it must be nonsense. Which is nonsense.
You're nonsense. Yeah, you see what I did there? A one-liner. I don't think anyone presumes that because a post is long it's nonsense. In fact, most long posts are anything but and everybody realizes it. It's just a pain to read when you say the same thing over and over again that could be condensed into something shorter. Yeah, a big paragraph can contain more information than a short one, but just because it can, doesn't mean it does. A short post can be nonsense, and long posts can be nonsense.

I'd prefer to hang out with the "fanon" types even though I've made fun of them, cringed at some of the WAIFU type threads here, and laughed at some jokes directed at them, if they're at least nice.
Good for you. Once again, you're treating the sections of people as an entire entity rather than individuals. You yourself have your likes, and other people have theirs. Just because two people like the same thing doesn't mean they have much in common at all. It also doesn't necessarily mean that they're "nice". I actually like a few of Walfas' comics, but it doesn't mean that I like the rest of them, or him as a person, or any of his fans. I hate most of his fans to pieces. "Nice" people can be found anywhere, but just because they're part of a group doesn't mean they're "nice" people or "mean" people.

This is an example of a "wrong" reply.
No, it's an example of you don't want to see in your thread. He's right; talking about problems can definitely lead into more disastrous situations than if you left it alone.

Actually, it is good to discuss problems. You're just using poor social standards and poor examples to back up your case. This is how adults actually do things believe it or not. I think people are starting to become massive dicks for no good reasons. I explained why. This is a good way of doing things. Yours is not.
Jesus Christ now you're just telling him he's immature because you don't think the way he does. This is not how adults do things. This is how some people do things. Some adults do, some "non-adults" do, you do, hell, I do. Socials standards are poor. People suck. Not everyone's going to have the same attitude, which is what you're trying to say in the first place.

If you genuinely don't feel like you're getting enough attention, then yes you should bring that up. Or if someone's girlfriend is driving you apart, then there are times when you should bring that up. It's a kind of cost/benefit analysis. If it's going to cause more harm than good, then it might be a bad idea.
So in other words you're half-contradicting your previous statement and saying that "ok maybe sometimes it's a bad thing so you're kind of right".

But threads like this don't need to drive people apart like "Oh your girlfriend is causing troubles for us...". So the point isn't really relevant at all.
No, it isn't, but he was using the example to counter your argument, of which you entirely avoided and instead just labeled it "wrong".

You can't solve any problem if you don't talk about it, and reach some kind of solution or consensus. Sometimes with problems all you have to do IS talk about it, if people are people dicks, then sometimes someone just needs to point out it. But then people get arrogant and defensive and say how much it doesn't matter, that it's DRAMA, etc., these are defense mechanisms.
They're as much of a defense mechanism as you're putting up to our statements. People don't like to be wrong. If you try to prove them wrong, they'll argue. Yes, in some cases, problems are solved by actions. Problems can also solve themselves if ignored and there are just problems that don't need solving.

I'm not even going to bother with the last one, it's full of holes.

I don't think you realize that your attitude towards this is making people dislike you. If not anyone else, at least me. Yes, you think that this is a serious problem. Many of us think it's a serious problem. But it happens, and no one cares enough to do anything about it. For the love of god, shut up already.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

saiyoucho

• *Ahem*.. Mukyu!
    • Touhou Sweden
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2009, 09:26:05 PM »
Seriously Rosie Rune, you are taking Touhou fanbase who take it too seriously who take it too serious WAY too serious. You are making it sound like a frikken crusade now. What the hell.

And discussions are useful when solutions flow out of them, in this case there is none of use and oh yea: NEWS FLASH: You cannot fix over thousands of corrupted/badly informed brains. Unless you are a world leader. NEWS FLASH 2: You are not.

But here's the thing, many of the people are that are exactly what I'm talking about are saying this. So if they can recognise the problem, then yes they can change their mindset.

And actually, you can fix over thousands of corrupted/badly informed brains just as one random guy can lead to those brains becoming corrupted/badly informed. Memetics goes both ways. If some cool guy here reads this thread and decides to being an ass to the doujin writer fan types, then people will jump on that bandwagon like wildfire. There are actually tons of positive social trends, you just don't notice them.

However if said Cool Guy comes in and sees everyone saying Shut the Fuck Up to this thread, it's not going to have that effect.

Heck the entire Doujin circle exists as a social contract which we'd view as impossible in the west. There's no real impossible in terms of "changing minds" except what you make up your mind is possible/impossible.
Let's just face this. It's a lost cause. Just seeing how people started bitching after my last post truly shows it.

I was merely stating that all fanbases worldwide are pretty much taking things too far/serious, and yet people just accuse me of being offtopic when this is pretty much the entire problem.

It will most likely be a very long time before people realise how things really are. If they ever do.
Take me to your library, give me your spellbooks.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
Rosie Rune you are like those three apes: Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. You "bla bla" alot but do not accept the facts given tons of times.

And you didn't get the point. Stop posting please, you are only making more fun of yourself. The percentage of me taking you serious is 0.00000000000.

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »
No. This is false. Just because a community is laid-back about arrogant attitudes doesn't mean it will fall to shit. It can, but it can also fall to shit if you're doing what you're doing right now and taking everything in like it's your life's mission to resolve everyone's problems.

This is ludicrous. All I'm doing is pointing out the problems. When has this led to a community falling apart?

Spoilers: Touhou has had an elitist fanbase for a long time. This is why we're all separated into those groups I talked about. Because there's so many interpretations, this is going to happen. There's no avoiding it.

Groups of fans doesn't mean "elitism". In any fandom people are going to flock towards certain views or aspects of their material they focus on. The elitism occurs when one declares itself BETTER than another for poor reasons.

I hate attitudes like this. "You don't have to reply if you don't like it lol". You're being a hypocrite right now, talking about how we need to take this seriously yet are fine with people ignoring you for being too laid-back about it. I for one am damn pleased with the responses from this thread and I don't think it could have gotten much better than what he got. Unfortunately, your consistent arguing is making it an annoyance.

What exactly do you hope these replies achieve? I don't think you're thinking this true. Shooting someone down for taking a stance against elitism sets a horrible precedent.

It's just a pain to read when you say the same thing over and over again that could be condensed into something shorter. Yeah, a big paragraph can contain more information than a short one, but just because it can, doesn't mean it does.

That's not really fair as I'm not able to make short posts. It's an obsessive compulsive thing.

No, it's an example of you don't want to see in your thread. He's right; talking about problems can definitely lead into more disastrous situations than if you left it alone.

How does that occur here? It can only possibly occur if people decide that's what to happen. It's all in how people react.

Honestly, can you imagine a community where when people point out potential problems, they actually sit down and take interest,
or just ignore it? That's a better community.

The replies you seem to think are marvellous are just a defense mechanism.

Jesus Christ now you're just telling him he's immature because you don't think the way he does.

I told him his example was crap because it is crap. He didn't actually provide any reasoning as to how that applies in this situation. There's no "Personal awkwardness" involved here.

No, it isn't, but he was using the example to counter your argument, of which you entirely avoided and instead just labeled it "wrong".

No, I pointed out how it doesn't apply. Also examples don't "counter" arguments. Simply saying that there are some times when talking about problems may be awkward does not prove this one is. Generally, yes you should. It's being anal.

He has a point if he can prove how talking about people being elitists can make the problem worse. So far, nobody has provided any reasoning or evidence to back that up.

I don't think you realize that your attitude towards this is making people dislike you. If not anyone else, at least me. Yes, you think that this is a serious problem. Many of us think it's a serious problem. But it happens, and no one cares enough to do anything about it. For the love of god, shut up already.

Then that's part of the problem. If you want me to shut up so much, then just don't read the thread. It will have precisely the same effect for you.

Rosie Rune you are like those three apes: Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. You "bla bla" alot but do not accept the facts given tons of times.

What "facts" were given exactly?

And you didn't get the point. Stop posting please, you are only making more fun of yourself. The percentage of me taking you serious is 0.00000000000.

It seems to me you're closer to the hear no evil, see no evil idea. You think if you plug your ears and everyone ignores the fact that there are assholes, it will somehow lead to less "evil" than the alternative I'm presenting.

These posts really don't help. When you make someone feel like shit for the posts they make about something they see as a serious problem, there's no turning back. But it's impossible to reason with you. I just wish you could read your posts from the outside.

The thing is, that the replies to this thread prove that I was more right than I thought.

People are "hating" me just for pointing things like this out, and a groupthink mentality is starting to form. There's no reason to hate me over this. I don't particularly "hate" anyone in this thread.

It's precisely the "Better fan" mentality I'm talking about. A BETTER fan doesn't worry about shit like elitism! That's not really a fair context for how someone is a "better" fan.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:03:38 PM by Rosie Rune »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »
and everyone ignores the fact that there are assholes, it will somehow lead to less "evil" than the alternative I'm presenting.

Oh my god do you even read your own words?

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »
Has it ever occurred to you that people might be blowing you off with snide bon mots not because you dare to stand up against the elitist superstructure, but because you are being so obtuse, incoherent and needlessly verbose as to put Timecube to shame?

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
ITT Rosie Rune goes from Serious Business to silly drama whore

I almost feel like I should hand over my premium troll hat, but I'm still not entirely convinced that this is for the lulz instead of true baaawwww'ing
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:38:38 PM by Vile Lasagna »
rofl bye

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »
Honestly it's replies like this that make threads "shit" to begin with. ... These replies reek of the "Better nerd" crap I was talking about. There's nothing wrong with my posts in this thread. You can agree or disagree. But making patronising comments like this that don't really say anything are the only truly objectional content in this thread. The insistance that even talking about problems called problems has zero foundation in reality but is very popular online because it's easier than sitting down trying to understand anything.

No, what made this thread crap was posting a 500-word complaint about ... what? People are mean on the internet? You're unhappy with some of the fanbase? Welcome to the Internets. Yeah, jerks on the webs are "problems". We deal with it in a variety of ways - active moderation, mockery, yawning in the direction of trolls and so forth. We all know this.

So some people had some lighthearted fun with the topic. Lighten up already, sheesh. You're not going to "fix" the internet. Move on and enjoy yourself.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2009, 10:39:10 PM »
and everyone ignores the fact that there are assholes, it will somehow lead to less "evil" than the alternative I'm presenting.

Take your own suggestion maybe.

This is not an example of a worthwhile post.

I don't see the point in continuing this thread, but for different reasons to everyone else here. I think the cancer's already set in. Maybe the guy warning me about Shrinemaiden didn't mean the doujin fans, but this...

Tengukami

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »
Here's a word of advice:

When starting a thread railing against elitism, try and avoid passing judgment calls like "this isn't a worthwhile post" or "this is a wrong reply".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

Take your own suggestion maybe.

Quote from: Amaterasu-ōmikami
We all know this.

-Hele

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »
Man, I'm feeling lonely now. How do I not get ignored? Both serious discussion and provocative truths disguised as trolling seemed to have hit adblock.
 :(
rofl bye

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2009, 10:57:51 PM »
Here's a word of advice:

When starting a thread railing against elitism, try and avoid passing judgment calls like "this isn't a worthwhile post" or "this is a wrong reply".

No, see, I'm all for having standards. The thing is I don't think "negative" standards should be applied to people just because they're vaguely annoying. I think "negative" standards should be applied to people who get the kind of cocky attitudes in this thread.

I mean people didn't have to react that way. If I was saying something inappropriate, then people could have reacted to that better. At best there's two sides to this. It's this kind of mentality that there's more of us, we don't have to admit to being wrong, that makes the whole thing impossible.

Tengukami

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
Man, I'm feeling lonely now. How do I not get ignored? Both serious discussion and provocative truths disguised as trolling seemed to have hit adblock.
 :(

Oh hey man what's up.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2009, 11:07:34 PM »
rofl bye

Drake

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2009, 11:53:02 PM »
I have been utterly defeated. I am now going to post pictures.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2009, 12:21:46 AM »
Modern "trolls" keep going regardless of whether you ignore them or not because they're so convinced they're getting an IRL reaction regardless. You know Chris-Chan didn't react to Encyclopedia Dramatica for about 8 months, but they kept at him until they drove him insane.

Very wrong. I remember quite well seeing the original thread in /v/ when they first started trolling him. It started with a person in 4chan's /v/ talking with him, I don't remember the specifics, but his reaction towards learning about the thread was what helped spark them to continue. They wrote an ED article and he created an account to try and modify said page. They fed off of that and continued. and et cetra. That 8 months that he didn't mess with ED, him and the trolls were going at it at other places, action and reaction.

Chris Chan at least had enough sense to stay the hell away from ED itself for the longest time. The people on /v/ and the ones on ED weren't necessarily the same. /v/ treated him as a folly whereas ED had a much more sadistic viewpoint.

o.0; Chris Chan tried editing his own ED not even a week or so after the events of /v/ and the formation of the Ed page... and wound up giving the trolls some AAA grade material. That ED page doesn't really display everything that happened well, don't take it's timeline seriously.

And this thread is making my head hurt. Between you using a double standard to look at the same troll group as different people and different fans being the same to grading the content of people's posts, I'm having a hard time buying this isn't just old-school trolling in action.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2009, 12:56:37 AM »
I have been utterly defeated. I am now going to post pictures.

Not yet, give me a sec.....

There. NOW you've been defeated XD
rofl bye

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Tengukami

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2009, 01:18:11 AM »
Oh it's gonna be that kinda party is it? Alright then.

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2009, 01:19:41 AM »
The placement of that ship in relation to the blue man's groin is impeccable.

Tengukami

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »
The placement of that ship in relation to the blue man's groin is impeccable.

That's Desslar Sohtoh ... and I never even noticed the placement of Yamato before just now. I'd always been too busy looking at Yuki Mori (just to the left of the ship), my first childhood crush.

KennyMan666

• Precursor
  • The Saga
    • One Piece: Pure Corruption
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
You know who else liked Touhou?  HITLER.
I returned to this thread to post something but then I saw this and forgot everything else. Ever.
Fly & High!!

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2009, 02:04:18 AM »
Well I guess things been calmed down, so is appropriate to post this.

Drake

« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2009, 02:53:25 AM »

Tengukami

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2009, 03:06:28 AM »
Was this a Canadian thing Drake? Because the only other person I knew who watched Space Pirate Mito was Canadian. She was also a fan of this:

I watched the entire CD boxset with her and it was ... pretty girly. Had a great opening theme, too.

Drake

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2009, 03:13:17 AM »
Space Pirate Captain Harlock != Space Pirate Mito

Harlock is much more badass.

Tengukami

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2009, 03:22:54 AM »
Space Pirate Captain Harlock != Space Pirate Mito

Harlock is much more badass.

I never watched either - I just remember her saying she used to watch some anime with a space pirate, who had an eyepatch, brooded a lot and liked to drink wine. No wine in that pic, but he does seem pretty broody.

Also:

I'm so shojo I shit sparkles

I'd buy a car just to have this as a bumper sticker.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:24:32 AM by Amaterasu-ōmikami »