Author Topic: MUGEN  (Read 29941 times)

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
MUGEN
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »
I know you all have scathing opinions about MUGEN, but it doesn't change the fact that A) it exists and B) it's damned fun if you know how to use it right.

That being said, what are some of your favorite MUGEN characters you keep in your MUGEN, or if you have a limited amount of characters available on your Select Screen what is your favorite roster?

For me, it'd have to be . . .

Lakitu
Len
Aile
Vent
Childre Inarabitta
World 1-1, Super Mario Bros.
World 1-1, Super Maro Land
Stupid Little Drill Tank
Alice's Dolls
and Asagi

For my little 10-characters-only MUGEN.

- Lakitu and Childre are fairly fun little characters, a little heavy on the projectile spam but still fair -- Lakitu mainly because it is so easily knocked around and his only strong attack has to be aimed, and Childre because his AI doesn't whore out his homing missiles excessively (as I tend to do when I use him to beat Asagi's Boss Palette, should it appear).
- Len's a fairly good fighter in MUGEN, able to tangle with even the craziest Guilty Gear characters (e.g. Faust, Testament, Robo-Ky) but still easy to use.
- Aile and Vent are good diversions, and play fairly easily -- the ones I have are old versions with only Models X, ZX, and OX. I've checked recently and most of the models are over 50% complete, so the patch for them might be able to do weapons.
- The World 1-1's and Stupid Little Drill Tank are by no means actual characters -- they're bonus stages, but I have them selectable so I can enjoy them in VS mode (they run on autopilot). They're fun little diversions, especially when I swap in another character for Asagi to run them through the World 1-1's (and the Stupid Little Drill Tank is fun no matter what character I use).
- Alice's Dolls is/are a fun character -- the dolls are randomly selected at the start of the match, each one mimics the character's danmaku (there's even a Heida no Akyu doll, which mimics a random doll's danmaku), and the best part . . . it's not even broken.
- Last but not least . . . the filler Last Boss, Asagi. Why is she filler AND the Last Boss? Because I can't stand her Boss Palette. Asagi is at her core a projectile spammer (to put it simply: her NORMAL attacks are gunshots -- her melee attack is a SPECIAL), and she has a few very ANNOYING supers (such as the two where she calls in a Zetta Beam or a simple 'Lord Zetta makes you go boom'). Supers that invariably come out during her Boss Palette, which has a FULL SUPER BAR THE ENTIRE MATCH. It gets annoying . . . but she's still a fun character (she DOES need to reload her guns every now and again). However, I can safely swap her out for any other given character (be it Hisui, Kohaku [another favorite], or [if I'm feeling masochistic] Omega Zero or Copy-X).

Feel free to post links to characters (the creators' websites, that is, unless they're no longer available) here, but also try to talk about your favorite MUGEN setups and matchups.

That said, have a blast!
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Gpop

Re: MUGEN
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
Oh god MUGEN.

I quit that after playing it for a month. Too many broken characters.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:36:03 PM »
Idol Hisui

yes, it is the only one I keep aside from the usual God Rugal and Mecha Rugal.

Idol Hisui is awesome because:

1. so fast
2. Unlimited combos
3. hyper speed hax
4. crashes your mugen as your computer struggles to compete with the speed she moves
5. Her winning pose which is a concernt
6. One of her super attacks is the concert itself "Minna~san, Genki deska?!" LOL

At one point I used to keep Hyper Mecha Hisui
1. First hit = all HP removal in over 20 seconds long attack.
2. Super Hisui Rush =  better than zerg rush.

Even God Orochi cannot touch Hisui one inch.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »
MUGEN needs a modern remake with netplay and a not horrible community before it can get my attention.

Incredibly broken characters are par for the course in anything with custom content, but I do appreciate MUGEN making it rather easy to make your own fighting game while being versatile enough that you can work in all sorts of systems. However, it's just not worth it if you can't play it against other people. If it had netplay I'd be on it like white on rice.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:52:48 AM »
Oh god MUGEN.

There may be broken characters, but the key is to note them and, if you value a competetive experience, avoid them.

Case in point for broken chars, Omega Zero and Copy-X. The former actually being broken due to sheer authenticity (even in MMZX, the game from which that version of Omega hailed from, HE RAEPED YOU NO MATTER WHAT YOUR BIOMETAL), and the latter being broken only because of his boss palette -- where you would normally play as Copy-X's armored form, his boss palette is his SERAPH FORM, aka the LAST BOSS OF THE FIRST MMZ. With all moves intact, no less.

In retrospect, the other characters I have listed above, such as Childre and Lakitu, are fairly balanced even though they have projectile spam as a viable strategy.
- Childre's missiles may home, but it's not too aggressive in its use of them (in fact, the main annoyances he presents are A) a smaller sprite than normal and B) 'freezing' attacks),
- Lakitu is fairly refreshing in that he can 'fly' but at the same time recoils something fierce (one hit sends him literally, pun not intended, flying backwards with speed).
- And Vent and Aile, while palette- and sound-swaps of each other, still make for an enjoyable experience (in fact, the creator programmed in some humorous intros for when the two face off -- "'SCUSE ME, PRINCESS!") with the Model X, Model ZX, and Model OX support -- each offering a different play experience (Model X = pure projectiles, with a double-charged shot; ZX = equal parts projectiles and melee; OX = Omega Zero -Beyond Easy Mode-). They also have the fun little bonus of behaving EXACTLY (barring the gameplay differences between Vent and Aile) like their in-game counterparts.
- Meanwhile, another character that I have (but don't use) is Kraft, from MMZ4. He plays a bit more brokenly than Childre (whereas Childre is annoying, Kraft has an attack that is pure anti-Touhou), and has some instant-kill techniques, but he's not as small and a fair fight despite his tendency to use a lock-on projectile attack (when human-played, the human has to aim it manually).

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »
here is what butthurt the most:

SSJ5 Gogeta

Sephiroth

Idol Hisui

True Orochi

[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Animedude

• Permabanned
  • By TheStupidOne
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:16:43 AM »
here is what butthurt the most:

SSJ5 Gogeta

Sephiroth

Idol Hisui

True Orochi

Do you mean Gulther's Sephiroth? He's cheap ass. But I know of some others who rank right up there.

Eternal Sailor Moon (I forgot who made her)

Emerald (a vilain from the anime Sailor Moon R, but I forgot who put her in Mugen)

Against either of these, most characters get curb stomped.

Other high powered characters I have are:
Megaman X (a fan made version using larger high quality fan made sprites that must have taken a year to draw)

Zero (ripped from Megaman X 4)

Colonel (ripped from Megaman X 4)

My character select screen has nearly 200 slots and I have so many characters that I have to disable my least used ones in select.def, just so that don't have too many active at once to fit on the character select screen.

Pedonymous

• Creepy As Hell
  • PM me for hot cyber action.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
I need time to figure out how to install it. :X

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
I need time to figure out how to install it. :X

. . . INSTALL?

If there's one thing I did not remember doing to set my MUGEN up, it was installing it.

Ah, well. Touhou MUGEN characters are actually easy enough to find (or at least, they were the last time I tried...), and there are a few really good MUGEN sites out there -- speaking of which, I need to check progress on Fafnir . . .

Pedonymous

• Creepy As Hell
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 03:38:46 AM »
Iunno, I never tried getting it. (lazy boy)

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 03:43:29 AM »
Oh god MUGEN.

the problem i have with this line of though for quiting mugen is because there are plenty of decent not cheap/broken chars its mostly because the bad creations get alot more press than the good ones.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
Forget the characters in Mugen ( broken or not, you can overpower them yourself )

But the community is seriously bad. And I mean SERIOUSLY bad.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 02:56:48 AM »
Forget the characters in Mugen ( broken or not, you can overpower them yourself )

But the community is seriously bad. And I mean SERIOUSLY bad.

And thus, I don't interact with it. Instead, I look for the characters I want, do my own research, and enjoy the fruits of the peoples' labors.

After all, by Sturgeon's Law, the remaining 10% is worth dying for.

That 10% just happens to be the characters that people make, that I hunt down if they're from series I like (or if they interest me), and that I try out to see if they're broken or not and if they aren't I keep them in.

Case in point, I hear about Immaterial and Missing Power and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, I go out of my way to search the MUGEN websites for Touhou characters, and I end up finding a team that's made pretty much all of them, I download them, I try everyone out, learn that most non-Megaman characters don't take danmaku too well (and I also find out that I can't get Aya to go off of autopilot), and so I don't use them very often anymore (except in the case of Alice's Dolls, which is actually fairly unbroken and fairly intuitive) unless I just plain feel like it, in which case I go for it.

Elixir

• I am an insufferable jerk.
    • タンブルウィード
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »
The problem with MUGEN is that it's pointless.

It's like trying to make your own fighting game, that you're not going to play apart from after you've spent 2 hours browsing the internet trying to find x character.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
The problem with MUGEN is that it's pointless.

It's like trying to make your own fighting game, that you're not going to play apart from after you've spent 2 hours browsing the internet trying to find x character.

Hey, I play it. In fact, most of my time is spent enjoying the characters I've found; and even then, if you actually know how to use Google better than the average schmuck, you'll be able to find whatever MUGEN characters you want pretty quick.

The key to really enjoying MUGEN is to actually do the reverse of the trend you're observing (however biased either of our viewpoints, in this case yours, might be) -- set yourself up with a good amount of characters, then enjoy yourself mixing and matching and fighting the creations of the masses. It's actually quite enjoyable once you start playing versus b!tching about how hard it is to find characters (when in fact it is far from hard, to the contrary Google makes it laughably easy).

And if in fact you hear on the web that oh, there's MUGEN chars of a series you've recently gotten into, it's your choice whether you drop what you're doing and take 10 minutes or less to grab that/those character(s), or just continue with your life. So really, MUGEN's fairly low-maintenance once you get to using it for what it is -- a fighting game -- and becomes even more so when you find a roster you're happy with playing as and/or fighting (however much I b!tch and whine about Childre, he's still fun as all hell to go up against).

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
Mugen is fun to play to kill time or watch how some chars are overpowered like hell. Like Kakkaroto lvl9 or something. The sounds alone of that character make it funny. But aside that it is not a game to be played frequent. It is just as a time passer.

Mainly, thanks to Mugen, I discovered Guilty Gear XX, Melty Blood and Touhou ( VERY IMPORTANT ). If I didn't play it, I would never find it. But I guess it is. . . FATE ? *echo* *thunder*

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
Mugen is only fun once you invested characters from the Nijiura fighting game, and main at least Otousama or Ojii-sama. (both are stupid characters but their moves are damn cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kYM6AQiuUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhgUWahET4

Pedonymous

• Creepy As Hell
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 01:31:31 AM »
Mugen is only fun once you invested characters from the Nijiura fighting game, and main at least Otousama or Ojii-sama. (both are stupid characters but their moves are damn cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kYM6AQiuUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhgUWahET4
The OS-tans were cool, and LOL WAHA.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »
Waha along with Abe, CV Wakamoto, drill Mary are some of the most hardcore characters ever.

They are extremely overpowered. Abe's toilet rape cannot be blocked by the way.

Awesome sound effects too.

(OOOOOHHHH ABE ORE WA IKU)

Pedonymous

• Creepy As Hell
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »
WAHA- is an awesome character.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »
One word: Kuromaru.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 01:42:04 PM »
Most arcade game's boss are overpower...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 02:16:42 PM »
Mugen doesn't has a boss. It depends on what you want as a boss.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:19:58 PM by Helepolis »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »
There is only one true boss in Mugen

You wanna know who?

Hisui.

Make that Hyper Mecha Hisui

or if you prefer...

Tank Yukkuri.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 05:21:09 PM »
That is not a boss but a cheapass overpowered character. Just like Psycho Omni Dizzy or Chipp lvl 2 or even worse: God Shiki, God Akuma or to make it even more retarted: Rick Assley, he has no hitbox. Instant lose.

How do I know all this? Because I have those bloody characters. Basicly I prefer balance and beatable characters and I formed my own set of "enemies" and sub boss + boss which is way more fun than stupid overpowered characters: Featuring good melty blood characters which are AI setable, Guilty Gear and some Azumanga / Lucky Star and Homer simpson for easy mode.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:22:52 PM by Helepolis »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 02:58:49 AM »
That and I only just realized, as if Gay wasn't enough, they added Rick to the count.

F1 only no refuge.

Hyper Mecha Hisui can actually be beaten, but you have to have someone like Idol Hisui or Ojiisama or Gogeta tho.

The hax but not so broken characters like God Rugal and God Adel are actually all fairly usable characters albeit a bit fast.

okay, screw everything uninstalling all the Orochis and replacing with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D26MJHJJzMU&NR=1

Both of them, Ayu Tsukimiya is God teir and Uguu powered.

Melty blood characters....hmm, only one I had was Shiki and Warcrueid.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:20:40 AM by Ahoge Fairy »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »
The main issue with MUGEN characters is that, of course, there's no enforced standards - no character -has- to have a specific life amount, has to deal within a certain range of damage, etc. etc. .  If you know what you're doing, you can go in and edit any character to be functional and balanced - or broken and unbalanced.

Very few people use MUGEN for what it's arguably supposed to be about - creating a fighting game yourself.  But... it's not like creating content for it is easy, and the engine's terribly outdated and can't handle a lot of stuff that would allow it to be used to make a good fighter (For instance, actual unlockable content flags or similar)

*Sigh* I was into MUGEN, once, years ago...

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
Does anyone have Touhou characters in MUGEN that go into that "psycho mode"
I don't know what to call it, but they go into a spellcard trance that is insanely powerful.

Do any of you know how to do activate that when playing the character, or
is that something that only a computer can do?

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »
There is only one true boss in Mugen

You wanna know who?

Hisui.

Make that Hyper Mecha Hisui

or if you prefer...

Tank Yukkuri.

I disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjGJZ3Rt6yU&feature=channel_page

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
I hear all you guys bitchin' about broken characters, and not even one mentioned how broken Touhous are (and yet some folks have the balls to go and make them even MORE broken, Robot Patchouli I'm lookin at you). Although, to be fair, the only real reason Touhous are broken is because you can't really 'graze' their bullets like the other Touhous can. Simply put, it puts any other character at a HUGE disadvantage when they face them, especially when they go into PMS Boss Modo and get danmaku diarrhea. I'm working on ways you can beat them normally so far I can take down; Reisen, Suika, Sakuya, Marisa, Iku, and Remilia. There are others but their relatively easy and shouldn't be that hard to beat like the above 6 (and the others that I haven't mentioned).

As for the other cheap ass cunts, I don't touch them. Get Shaq though, he's hilarious and (surprisingly) a good fighter despite the shitty ass game he came from.

Mech Hisui I've beaten once using NAC (When Kohaku drops bombs, in the 2nd round is pretty much what kills most characters and for good reason, you won't know when she'll drop them, you have to rely on instinct and fast fingers), although I'm willing to give her leeway because the point where Kohaku DOES start bombing (Screen goes black and ALL sound is muted) is the most tense and, as stated above, requires you to be fully alert and quick on your feet to survive. Although Mech Hisui recovery I can do with out...