Author Topic: MMX's random stuff thread. Latest: Kappa Mechanics.  (Read 9495 times)

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
MMX's random stuff thread. Latest: Kappa Mechanics.
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:46:33 AM »
Hello everyone! o/

So, while i've kinda tired a little at working on my full game project, i'm taking a break and gonna code some not so complex projects.

And first there goes Kappa Mechanics - a plural boss fight of Nitori Kawashiro. It's heavily inspired by her patterns in MoF, however i've tried to take a more creative look at it. There are 3 nonspells and 3 spellcards total. Difficulty may be called around hard or something.

Download script.

And some video as well. Contains spoilers.

Warning! Third spellcard does some heavy calculations wich may cause some FPS drop on slower machines, especially while running with video capturing software. It's first step on my list of improvements to do.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:39:23 AM by MMX »
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Re: MMX's random stuff thread. Latest: Kappa Mechanics.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:53:38 AM »
Do the nonspell bullets change position depending on the player?
*psyduck emoticon*

so confused

Also

That font looks familiar...

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:17:07 AM »
Ah, this script was fun!

All the nonspells were pretty creative and a lot of fun to dodge, my only possible complaint was that there wasn't much difference between them other than the bullet speed.

1st Spell: Awesome looking pattern! I at first thought that it was too hard to hit Nitori, but then I noticed how low the card's life was. Good job on this one.
2nd Spell: First impression was that it was too random, but it turned out to work really well. This card's life also seemed a bit low.
3rd Spell: Took several tries to capture, but it works pretty well. It could just be that I suck at dodging dot bullets. Once I learned Nitori's movement patterns, it was much easier. I am wondering how you got the lifebar on this spell to look really weird though...

Anyway, great work on the battle! Very few complaints here, other than that the first 2 spells felt pretty short (but that may be intentional).

Oh, and awesome job with the graphics! Those backgrounds look absolutely beautiful, I wish I was as good at animating backgrounds as you!
Great music choice too. What arrangement is that, anyway?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the description. I should do that more often.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:19:01 AM by Ozzy »

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Do the nonspell bullets change position depending on the player?
*psyduck emoticon*
so confused
Yes. they do :D But the main thing is when angle to player changes Nitori fires twice less bullets.
That font looks familiar...
It's this one http://www.dafont.com/white-rabbit.font
All the nonspells were pretty creative and a lot of fun to dodge, my only possible complaint was that there wasn't much difference between them other than the bullet speed.
First nonspell has higher density (18 walls with bubbles between them), but with the slowest bubble aimed to player. Second is less denser (15 walls) but with fastest bubble aimed. It gives you more space but less time to react. The basic idea is to move a lot to break gaps in the walls, while fast moving against aimed bubbles is not a good idea :) Third nonspell is the same as 2nd but with reversed angle tracking. It's actually easier than 2nd, but may seem confusing at the first time.
1st Spell: Awesome looking pattern! I at first thought that it was too hard to hit Nitori, but then I noticed how low the card's life was. Good job on this one.
Yeah, this card is about to focus your fire on Nitori. Though you need to misdirect the stream of small bullets at least once.
2nd Spell: First impression was that it was too random, but it turned out to work really well. This card's life also seemed a bit low.
It was inspired by Nitori's second spell in MoF (whatever it's called on any difficulty). Those pellets actually fly straight, it's only the direction from wich they come tunrs clockwise. Just avoid tight clusters and you'll be fine.
3rd Spell: Took several tries to capture, but it works pretty well. It could just be that I suck at dodging dot bullets. Once I learned Nitori's movement patterns, it was much easier. I am wondering how you got the lifebar on this spell to look really weird though...
This one is actually all about accurate streaming between the walls. You need to catch the moment when there's a "pause" between the waves of bullets to restream back, or do some fancy vertical misdirecting. Nitori movement has no patterns, it's random :)

And as for lifebars all spells have the same SetLife(2600); in them, so i dunno what's weird about it.

Anyway, thanks for playing, guys! Glad, you enjoyed this little script ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:53:40 PM by MMX »
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

ExPorygon

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
And as for lifebars all spells have the same SetLife(2600); in them, so i dunno what's weird about it.

Aha, I think I found out why! You for some reason have SetLife(1); a couple of lines before SetLife(2600); in that spell. It's still sort of strange that it does that though.

Wait no, I get it now. For the lifebar length, Danmakufu sets it to be miniscule, because it reads the life to be 1 initially. But when the script actually starts, the second SetLife command makes Danmakufu suddenly increase the life from 1 to 2600. Since the lifebar length was adjusted for 1 on the plural it comes out so long, that it's practically off the screen.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:35:47 AM by Ozzy »

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
Aha, I think I found out why! You for some reason have SetLife(1); a couple of lines before SetLife(2600); in that spell. It's still sort of strange that it does that though.

Wait no, I get it now. For the lifebar length, Danmakufu sets it to be miniscule, because it reads the life to be 1 initially. But when the script actually starts, the second SetLife command makes Danmakufu suddenly increase the life from 1 to 2600. Since the lifebar length was adjusted for 1 on the plural it comes out so long, that it's practically off the screen.
Ah found it. I suppose i forgot that SetLife(1) there since testing times where i made this card survival :) Fixed it.
Also, as i can feel from your review you found this script rather easy. Would it be good if i make a harder version of it (with an option to choose one at the start)?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:42 PM »
It's this one http://www.dafont.com/white-rabbit.font

Ahahaha, that's because it's the very same one used in the Lunacy Star series ~

ExPorygon

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
Ah found it. I suppose i forgot that SetLife(1) there since testing times where i made this card survival :) Fixed it.
Also, as i can feel from your review you found this script rather easy. Would it be good if i make a harder version of it (with an option to choose one at the start)?

Oho, don't get me wrong, I think the script was rather difficult actually. I don't know what stage you were going for or what not, but this can definitely fit in a hard mode. Maybe some extra life on a couple attacks?

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
Ahahaha, that's because it's the very same one used in the Lunacy Star series ~
Oh, it's a good font, isn't it ;)
Oho, don't get me wrong, I think the script was rather difficult actually. I don't know what stage you were going for or what not, but this can definitely fit in a hard mode. Maybe some extra life on a couple attacks?
Well, i think the only one attack wich could have more HP is the first spell. I'll do more testing and maybe change it in next version.
Though now i'm tempted about "lunatic" version too :V

Zil

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »
I tried it out. The nonspells were indeed fun to dodge once you get the trick to them. The second spell is fun but could have some more health I think, seeing as you are free to shotgun her the whole time. The bullets didn't start coming from below before it ended when I played. Conversely, you could also speed up how the bullets change where they come from so it goes full circle more quickly. I thought the third spell was very underwhelming however. It's too simple and easy to turn. In fact, if you start all the way to the edge you don't even need to turn around. It never killed me at least, while everything else took several tries to figure out and killed me a bunch of times.

Music was excellent. I love that remix. :D

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
The bullets didn't start coming from below before it ended when I played. Conversely, you could also speed up how the bullets change where they come from so it goes full circle more quickly. I thought the third spell was very underwhelming however. It's too simple and easy to turn. In fact, if you start all the way to the edge you don't even need to turn around. It never killed me at least, while everything else took several tries to figure out and killed me a bunch of times.

Music was excellent. I love that remix. :D
Oh. Just as planned. Wait till i'll make a lunatic version of it with harder patterns for players skilled like you ;) (Note: add some HP to second spell too). Also, what about 1st spell?

Zil

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
That one's hard to judge because my input lag was having its way with me. It's good, though slightly easy maybe, but I guess that's fitting if you were going for Hard difficulty. No complaints, I just wish Danmakufu would cooperate with me more in general.
Wait till i'll make a lunatic version of it with harder patterns for players skilled like you ;)
I'll look forward to it. And thanks for the compliment! :D

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »
The second non-spell was SOOO cheap! Sure, you can avoid the super fast bullets if you know that they are coming. It's just that if you don't, instant KO.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
The second non-spell was SOOO cheap! Sure, you can avoid the super fast bullets if you know that they are coming. It's just that if you don't, instant KO.
Hmm... I thought i gave player more space to evade a sudden fast bubble coming his way. Maybe it's just a matter of reflexes, but i can tone it down a bit like fire first wave a bit slower, so player could see how pattern has been changed (fastest is aimed) and be warned about fast bullets in da place. But third nonspell will remain the same :P

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »
Hey! I just tried your Nitori Script, and I must say it was really great :D

The nonspells made an good effect and were nice. It was an original pattern.

The first spell: This one was my favorite. I really love this kind of spellcard, and it reminded me a lot of Nue.
The second spell: It was nice. This one is the easiest but still good, and good match of colors fo the bullets. This one reminded me of Aya, but like a water version of her wind spell.
The third spell: Okay. Reminds me of her last spell in MoF. The only thing is that its most about streaming and not as awesome as the other ones, but still nice.