Author Topic: Lunacy Star Second (0.72 demo- Bugfixes, Balancing, 90FPS)  (Read 23222 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Here's the final update before the Big Hiatus, because starting now, the project will be tabled for the 64Digits RPG competition.

As you may have noticed, the graphics are still the same.
Sorry.
This is more or less an "intermediate" release, seeing as there's not an awful lot of new things, but here is what's different:

Easier to get extra lives
Easier difficulty period
Extra bomb bonuses
A continues system (You can try again after you game over?! What?!)
A new score handling system that supports scores up to 100 trillion
Stage 4-1, 4-2, and the fourth boss
Edits to the player scripts, such as damage and homing shots when the Gear Axis focuses

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48264981/LSS%200.7.zip

You do require 0.6 first, seeing as this package is just an updated .exe with the relevant new songs.

If you don't have 0.6, it can be found here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48264981/LSS%200.6.zip

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
Re: Lunacy Star Second (0.7 demo- Stage 4, Practice, Continues?!)
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 01:23:11 AM »
Whoops! I screwed something up in the original upload of 0.7, pertaining to continuing at the fourth boss.
The error has been fixed, and the link is the same:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48264981/LSS%200.7.zip

If you downloaded it before this post, then I implore you to update your .exe again, unless you enjoy the stage progressing in the middle of the boss fight :getdown:

Zil

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
Downloading, though I won't get to it until Friday thanks to studying for exams and crap. :V

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »
Before you play, I implore you not to attempt to save a highscore that exceeds one hundred million points.

Life would be so much easier if I didn't suck at programming!

I'll have it fixed tomorrow.
In the meantime, players can try to beat my highscores of 430,000,000 on Standard and 246,000,000, and then not record them because of an oversight in the variable names.

Also because I screwed up the number of digits on the evaluation screen and it read 2,046,000,000 rather than 246,000,000.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
Those of you who downloaded 0.7 before this have a horrible copy of the game that bugs out when you try to save and view highscores that exceed 100,000,000 points.

A patched copy of the .exe (and only the .exe) is available at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48264981/LSS%200.7%20(exe).zip
(but the regular link works too)

Yao-Kun

• Touhou Reimu & Miko Lovers
  • Busy doing college stuff...
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:47 AM »
Strange, I can't play this game  :V
it's not responding (using win7), and almost freeze my comp (memory stuck at 100%)
I'm already set to windows xp compability and using applocale and no luck.
... help?  :ohdear:

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
So much for Take it Easy...

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Yeah............
I forgot to make it Win7-compatible :colonveeplusalpha:

V0.71d on Monday :fail:

I'm so sorry :qq:

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
Links updated! Windows 7 compatible, high score bug fixed, and you cannot continue past the end of the game anymore :V

Yao-Kun

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 01:25:57 AM »
Okay, the game load now, but I have another problem : this game not support with joypad and my down arrow broken  :getdown:

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 02:12:47 AM »
I'm sorry then, if you don't configure a joystick-to-keyboard software such as "Joy2Key" then I can't help you until I add the remappable keys feature, and I don't know quite yet how to do that.
It will add it in the future, and the game does support using different keys for it's functions. I just need to make it to where you can change them, and to where it'll remember what they are :/

Zil

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 02:27:14 AM »
It still won't work for me. It made my computer go berserk.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:22 AM »
The updated version?

Hmm...

I like how I fix the bugs and still end up with weird technical problems...

I'm going to re-do the entire game package tomorrow morning as a complete download, this time with all of the bugfixes and with Windows 7 compatibility.
It's odd, certainly, that it worked for Yao and not for you, though, Zil?

Everyone delete your folders! I'm trying this again, and if it doesn't work this time, well, shit.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48264981/LSS%200.7%20full.zip
Here's a complete game package for 0.7 featuring a fresh compilation as of this morning.
And I made sure it was converted to Windows 7.

If this doesn't work, then it's your computer hating my game :(

Zil

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
It's working fine now. :D

I played through Standard with Nategasa. I don't know if you changed anything from before, but it seems like a few boss attacks don't last as long as they should, especially since (I think) this is the lowest damaging shottype. For example, the "greatsword" never reached me, and I don't think "whats-his-face's will" even recquired me to move.
In the start of stage 4, I felt like I couldn't see the bullets from the items.
Otherwise stage 4 seemed pretty cool, and the bosses were interesting.

I'm going to try the other ships and the higher difficulty when I have time, and hopefully I'll get a more complete impression of everything.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:38:08 PM by Zil »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
I actually went, and pumped up the numbers on all of the player resources >_>

I think it's something along the lines of

Regular shot, low power: 33 -> 40
Regular shot, high power: 28 -> 32
Gear Axis blast, low power: 70 -> 95
Gear Axis blast, high power: 48 -> 62
Homing missile: 28 -> 44
Laser, low power: 3 -> 5
Laser, high power: 2 -> 3
Blast missile: 60 -> 78
Blast missile splash: 1 -> 2
Yellow star: 35 -> 48
Blue star: 3 -> 5
Gear Axis Bomb: 6,000 -> 6,600
Solar Hydra Bomb: 11,000 -> 13,000
Nategasa Bomb: 12,000 -> 14,000

As a result, everything dies about five seconds before it normally would. Which could be a positive or a negative thing, depending on how you look at it.
Nategasa has, technically, the weakest shottype, but she has the strongest bomb and the longest immunity after using one. Shotgunning helps, though, because you can outdamage the Solar Hydra by sitting in an enemy's face.

I haven't done much HP changing for fear of people immediately latching on to whatever it is I changed with frothing disdain.

HURRRK WHY DOES LASER MAZE RAIN HAVE 18,000 HP NOW

I might settle with adding 1 to 2 thousand hitpoints across the board.

I turned down the constant on the second bosses' final attack that causes the white orbs to be fired in different directions. It practically requires you to time the attack out before it bothers to move them around.
Greatsword is a weird case because you usually terminate it like two seconds before it really makes you move. And there's a cap on how far it'll rotate anyway.

And do be warned that the higher difficulty is quite higher in difficulty.
(By that I mean it's the difference between a no-death run and a one-life-remaining-clear-with-no-bombs for me, and this is before we get to Stage 5 :getdown: )

Thanks for playing it!
Do tell me what you think of the harder difficulty on Stage 4, provided you beat it :V

(My highscores are 460m and 340m for Standard and Advanced :fail: )

Which fourth boss did you end up beating first?
One is specifically easier on one difficulty and harder on the other.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:58:20 PM by Chisou Taizen »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 04:45:40 AM »
I found a strange bug.
After continuing (because, you know, everything is way too hard Stage 2 boss onwards) on an endboss, the next stage continues automatically.  I recorded the aftereffects and then it occurred again, while recording.  Unfortunately the quality is crap (11 FPS) but I can compress and send it to you if you want to see exactly how it happened.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
I believe that I fixed that in the latest download... Do you have a version of the game prior to this post?

If so then the bug in question had not been addressed at the time of your download.
Because it isn't really happening for me anymore.

Zil

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
Okay, I played through standard with the other ships, and with Nategasa again. She is certainly the strongest one of the three. Maybe if Hydra's lasers didn't go back and forth it would be stronger, but as it is it's Nategasa. (I also notice you switched the focus and un-focus shots for her and Gear Axis, but left the description on the menu as it was.)

General thoughts:
- Nategasa's too strong. She kills bosses extremely fast, especially when she can shotgun.
- 2-2 boss's final attack is too easy. You barely have to move.
- 4-1 boss's second attack (the one that's kind of like BoWaP) seems way harder than anything else in the game, unless I'm missing something. I was only able to do with Nategasa bacause she ends it before it gets dangerous.
- To answer your question, I fought Amanda my first time against those two, as well as every time thereafter, despite going out of my way to kill her first. (I like how the placeholder sprites are the opposite gender of the boss, btw.) It seems like you'll end up fighting her every time because she keeps flying all over the place, while the other one either stays still or tries to follow you. The fight is pretty fun though. I especially like the first thing they do. Those attacks go nicely together. Also the bgm reminds me of something but I can't think of what it is. :V

I'm fearing what it's gonna be like on the other difficulty.

e: Something I forgot to mention. When you're at the bottom of the screen and you press "down," the hitbox moves and the ship doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:44:20 PM by Zil »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
I believe that I fixed that in the latest download... Do you have a version of the game prior to this post?

If so then the bug in question had not been addressed at the time of your download.
Because it isn't really happening for me anymore.
Pretty sure it was from that post, i saw it sitting on my desktop from a while ago, saw you posted an update and downloaded the update and finally played it last night.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »
 Oh whoops. I got 403'd last time I tried to reply, and forgot to type it up again :I

@I have no name
Oh yeah. I guess this one is unresolved because Ha! Ha! Let's assume this bit of code works!
Someone posted a video of them playtesting the game and they had to use a continue on Masagara, and suddenly END OF STAGE 3-2.
So I'll have this fixed.

Again.

@Zil

Oh whoops. I'll have to fix that. As well as add that little demonstration animation as to what exactly the names of the attacks are because apparently people don't know what to expect when something advertises lasers and stars and whatnot.

The 4-1 boss's second attack requires a bit of prior knowledge. I can chalk it up to: Do not start in the spokes directly below.
It's a 5-part pattern at the start, and on Standard, you want to start on the one immediately to your left, and in the one on your right on Advanced.
Follow it's circling around and the bullets will pick enough speed to generate gaps as you are crossing the bottom of it, provided you start where I mentioned.

Jacob gets in your face despite having no more HP than Amanda does, and she goes all over the place for her second attack. It's something I've also noted. I'm perhaps going to balance it with Jacob trying to get away from you for his third attack.
Worth noting is that Amanda's extra attacks are more fun than Jacob's. :getdown:

Anyway, that aforementioned playtester's video.
He brings up a lot of points and I was wondering what you thought, including
Not resetting the score on continued runs
Masagara's "Tele-Attack" being horridly unfair
The bullets coming in such a variety of colors makes it hard to tell if you're about to collect pickups or projectiles

You can also see the continuing bug in action :getdown:

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »
All right, this should actually be the last update to 0.7 :getdown:

Version 0.72

This fixes the continues bug, and also adds a little bit of things.
Namely, the evaluation screen displays an average framerate, and you can play at the equivalent of a 90FPS Touhou.
Go to the config menu and hit "turbo mode," and then wonder why exactly Stage 2 on Standard is completely freaking impossible :trollface:

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: Lunacy Star Second (0.72 demo- Bugfixes, Balancing, 90FPS)
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
"Unexpected error occurred when running the game."

I have no idea if this is 0.72's fault or not because the last time I played this it was 0.4 or something. ^_^ Doesn't work for 0.7 either.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:41:25 PM by BT »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
Err... That happens to a bunch of people at random, actually...
The usual fix is to try downloading it again, sorry :(
If it happens in the middle of the loading then something happened during the download, or something. This happens to some people and for some reason it usually goes away when they try the new version. :/

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
Yeah, it stops loading at about 15%, pauses for a bit and then either that error shows up or... nothing happens and I have to close it via task manager because it's oh man invisible.

This happened with some of the touhou games too ever since I got this computer. I think it might have something to do with the screen size. Any way of changing that? (like, a config file or something?)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
15% is about where it inits that stuff, so that might be it.
Unfortunately, the config file is

-encrypted
-created when the game opens

I remembered to make the game compatible with Windows 7 this time, so that can't be it.
Maybe it's something to do with your computer.

Quote from: Wikipedia
System requirements for Game Maker 6.x:

Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP
DirectX 8 or later
DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 16MB of video memory (32MB or more recommended)
Pentium or equivalent processor
DirectX 8 compatible sound card
64 MB of memory or greater (noted only in official Game Maker help file documentation)
800?600 or greater screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors

Versions 6.x and the .exe files from those versions do not work with the Microsoft Windows Vista or the Windows 7 operating system, due to an incompatible compression implementation in its creation of executable files. Version 7 of the program, however, works correctly with Vista, as well as most supported functions in versions 5.x and prior. On 24 June 2007, Mark Overmars released a program to convert .exe files created with version 6 to work on Windows Vista.[16]

Yao-Kun

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »
Maybe, this error pop up??

EDIT : Clear standard mode, but how come my fps fixed at 50 not 60  :V
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:34:09 AM by Yao-Kun »

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »
50 FPS is the default FPS, to allow the engine to process more in terms of bullets and graphics.
The 90FPS equivalent advertised is actually 75FPS :V

That error comes from not unpackaging the ZIP because the game will not load correctly compressed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:00:18 AM by チソウ タイゼン »

Yao-Kun

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 03:28:41 AM »
50 FPS is the default FPS, to allow the engine to process more in terms of bullets and graphics.
The 90FPS equivalent advertised is actually 75FPS :V

That error comes from not unpackaging the ZIP because the game will not load correctly compressed.

Eh...?
I already unzip it, and no .zip/rar file in lunacy folder.

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates. But Stage 5 and EX will be completed within the next two months, and by extension, the game as a whole.
I'm sure the time that has passed has rendered your problem near irrelevant now, correct, Yao-Kun? I'm sorry for neglecting to reply :ohdear:

I wonder if I can get Jaimers to try this one too. Perhaps see if he can handle that Turbo Mode.

Yao-Kun

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
I'm sure the time that has passed has rendered your problem near irrelevant now, correct, Yao-Kun? I'm sorry for neglecting to reply :ohdear:

Well, as long as you can repair it, so no problem  :V
And a bit request, please make it joypad support (if you can't, then I need to training my keyboard skill again)

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~