Author Topic: Are fairies really that weak?  (Read 16320 times)

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
Re: Are fairies really that weak?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
My thoughts on this...well, for a youkai, Gensokyo is the sort of place where if everyone thinks you are a total badass, well then, that's what you are.  And Yuuka's had a long, long time to scare the heck out of humanity.  Hence the disconnect between her ability and her power - she's channeling an obscene amount of raw fear.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Are fairies really that weak?
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
Guys, re-re-rail, please.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
Guys, re-re-rail, please.

Powerleveldiscussion senses are tingling

Friendly reminder that power level discussions are frowned heavily upon. We don't want to go down that road. Like Tengu requested: re-rail please because right now the discussion is vibing power levels. And nobody likes those.

Tengukami

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
Oh, I meant "less Yuuka, more fairies" than powerlevels, but yeah, that too.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
re-rail please because right now the discussion is vibing power levels. And nobody likes those.

I'd like to see a Curiosities of Lotus Asia chapter with Rinnosuke lecturing Reimu and Marisa on the finer points of luck vs fate manipulation or somesuch. A well-thought out (if ultimately completely innaccurate, as is half the charm of CoLA) argument without people getting upset, mmm.

But yes, fairies:
I love how this board is becoming my idea board for fiction.

Although fairies reportedly resurrect "immediately", this does mean that for the briefest of moments, they are no more - you can't resurrect without having first passed away, even if only for a very short instant. I wonder if they might appear as tiny blips in Heaven when they die. Their little spirits momentarily appearing there, for a split second, before resurrection.

One touhou comic series used this for dramaz, with Cirno briefly appearing in front of Komachi at the sanzu river after getting killed momentarily after hints that she was undergoing some sort of change.
Imagine if this were the case, and SWR wasn't a fighting game. Trying to do Tenshi's route, and keep getting spammed by faries as the following challengers fight their ways up.

Tengukami

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
One touhou comic series used this for dramaz, with Cirno briefly appearing in front of Komachi at the sanzu river after getting killed momentarily after hints that she was undergoing some sort of change.
Imagine if this were the case, and SWR wasn't a fighting game. Trying to do Tenshi's route, and keep getting spammed by faries as the following challengers fight their ways up.

Do you by chance remember the name of this comic? I would love to see this, even if I am a little crestfallen that my idea was STOLEN.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:59 AM »
Feeling a bit like that kid who had his hand raised for 4 minutes and then someone takes your answer?
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:46 AM »
I'd like to see a Curiosities of Lotus Asia chapter with Rinnosuke lecturing Reimu and Marisa on the finer points of luck vs fate manipulation or somesuch. A well-thought out (if ultimately completely innaccurate, as is half the charm of CoLA) argument without people getting upset, mmm.

Curiosities of Lotus Asia Chapter 27: Mechanism of Fortune

...well, it's kinda close to that.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:32:23 AM by Tiamat »

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:22 AM »
OK, something about fairies then.  Each fairy is specifically linked to something natural.  Cirno has ice, flower fairies have flowers, Lily has spring, etc.  More specifically, the three light fairies have their respective celestial bodies.  Thus, Sunny and Luna, as expected, suffer when the sun or moon isn't out, or is hidden by clouds.  Since the stars are still there, even when the sun is drowning them out, Star doesn't care about day or night.  Makes sense so far, right?  So...how come Star doesn't get blocked by clouds as well?
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Zil

« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:37 AM »
The entire sky would have to be covered with clouds.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2012, 04:00:28 AM »
Well, yes.  But overcast skies aren't exactly a rare thing.  For example, that storm during the Cirno + Daiyousei chapter. Unless you're thinking that the whole world needs to be cloudy, which I find is just a bit far to stop one little fairy.  I think it's more likely she just isn't affected by them, and that makes me wonder why.

Zil

« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:51 AM »
Well I'm not familiar with the actual story, but if there's a chapter with a storm and she's not weakened then I don't know what say. Maybe Luna and Sunny are powered up by direct light while Star just gets powered up from the existence of stars themselves? Starlight isn't very bright anyway and the stars are far away, so maybe it's different from getting energy from a nearby celestial body. Her ability is weaker too right? She just detects things while the others make funky stuff happen.

Spoiler:
Oh my god magic hammer time! =D

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 06:43:25 AM »
Do you by chance remember the name of this comic? I would love to see this, even if I am a little crestfallen that my idea was STOLEN.

I do. Don't get too excited or anything though, it was just a page or two of foreshadowing, and it hasn't been expanded upon as of yet. The comic was Shenanigans in a Magical Forest (a homestuck parody), and the issue in question was number 450.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:01:34 AM by haoreos2 »

Drake

« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »
Sunny Milk's power obviously is less potent when there is no sun, because there's less light to refract. It's also mentioned that it's distorted when it's raining, and this again should be obvious. Luna's ability doesn't actually get dampened by the lack of moonlight, she just gains from the moonlight (as Sunny gains from sunlight). Are there any examples or sources where her ability is suppressed? The main reason you'd ask about Star is because the other two have special cases, but I don't think the Luna specula is correct. I think it's just Sunny's ability that's affected, for obvious reasons. Star probably just doesn't gain or lose from starlight or the lack of.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »
Well, there is another manga that has Cirno "dying" sort of. It is called going to Higan. You find it at the touhou wiki or here: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/70823/touhou-going-to-higan-doujinshi_v01_by_gaku-gaku-animal-land

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2012, 02:16:41 AM »
adding this (danbooru, nsfw ads) to the "cirno gets omae'd" pool, because I don't have anything else that's interesting enough to contribute to the thread atm.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2012, 06:26:38 AM »
Theory: Fairies are about as powerful as the 'status' of nature in comparison to everything else. In the moden world, where we've more or less subjugated nature, fairies are powerless if not non-existant entirely. In Gensokyo, which has towns and settlements but ones that are more in harmony with nature by comparison, the fairies are far more powerful but still weak, as the settlements still dominate the relationship. In a completely wild setting, or one where nature has retaken the cities and towns, fairies would suddenly be more powerful.

Extension: Fairies are powerful in the Garden of the Sun, but Yuuka counts as the garden itself for power. Thus, she dominates the area and is far more powerful. In, say, the underground, the fairies are also simlarily powered, but the Hells could be considered 'settled' (due to the furnaces and apparent disposal system Orin works), and thus they are less powerful in comparison.

Just a thought. Would also explain why fairies don't spontaneously reappear in buildings and such at respawn, or in your face at all. I'd imagine that'd be annoying/surprising/irritating.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra