Author Topic: What's the point of a nickname?  (Read 2687 times)

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
What's the point of a nickname?
« on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:03 AM »
I went to change it before I remembered you couldn't. When I searched around as to why, the only thing I could find about it is something about login protection, but I haven't noticed anything the nickname applies to when I login. And considering you just have to find someone's post to see their nickname, it doesn't seem to help with that at all anyway.

Just curious.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Momiji

• Cya
Re: What's the point of a nickname?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
Quite a few people like changing their names for various reasons, the "nickname" is what people can identify you with regardless of your displayed name.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:56:31 AM »
That makes more sense. Why can't it be the same as your username though?
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:57:28 AM »
It can be, but it simply isn't displayed in that case (as it is for Momiji and myself).

Edit: Oops, I meant the forum's display name. We prefer that the login username be something unique because of several attempts to break into accounts in the past. Without knowing the login name, password guessers cannot even figure out how to try and guess at passwords!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:59:00 AM by Jana »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
You're thinking display name.  If display name matches nickname then the nickname field just hides itself because it's redundant.  Your USERNAME is what you type in when you login. 

Your display name can be whatever you want, and nickname is a permanent thing people can use to know who you are whenever you change your display name.  We used to use username for that purpose then we got hit by a major botnet trying to crack passwords.  So we hid username again and made the nickname field, and we changed usernames for those who were attacked.

Your username should only be known to you, and noone else.  Only staff can see your username.  Eventually the username will go away entirely and you'll login with the email you registered with your account (so you'll only have display name and nickname).  But that's waiting for me to finish a new backend authentication system.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:02:20 AM by ♫ Trans Siberian Orchestra ♪ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."