Author Topic: Agatha Christie  (Read 2038 times)

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
Agatha Christie
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
I finally read "And Then There Were None" and now I want to read more.  I was thinking of "A Murder Is Announced", but that's part of a series and was wondering if I could jump into it or there's something I have to understand it.  Not that I'd mind, "And Then There Were None" and "A Murder is Announced" were the only two books of hers I knew of.  So yeah any other recommendations of hers is nice.

Also discuss the books.

7TC7

• In best company
Re: Agatha Christie
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »
I also started with "And Then There Were None" and moved on with a few that sounded interesting from the title, like "Death on the Nile", "Cat among the Pigeons", "N or M", "Cards on the Table" and "Murder on the Orient Express". All of these I would definitely recommend, as they are some of my favourites!!

Reading book after book I finally realized that there was some kind of continuity between the books (even if it's never more than Poirot saying things like: "This is just like THAT case back then, but different!" so I then started to read her books in the right order.
There really is no problem with reading whatever book whenever you want. There shouldn't be in any way a problem when jumping right into "A Murder is Announced" if you want to.

I am half way through her works and I found each and every one of them worth the read. Some start a little slow, but by the end I was always satisfied. Agatha Christie is an awesome writer and I really have to thank touhou for making me read her books!

< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:16 AM »
"And Then There Were None" is one of my favorite mysteries of all time, which made the moment when I first learned Flandre's theme song was called "U.N. Owen was her?" even more amusing.

I haven't read a lot of Christie, and it's been a while since I've read her works, but "Murder on the Orient Express" and the short story "Three Blind Mice" are good reads. (The latter has what I think is a pretty devious twist. It's the basis for "The Mousetrap", so spoilers abound.) I've seen a stage adaptation of "Death on the Nile" (don't remember if I read the novel) and read "The A.B.C. Murders", but I only vaguely remember the plots to those, though both are still worth recommending. As for "A Murder is Announced" (which I haven't read either), go ahead and read it to satisfy the Touhou fan in you.
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

C27

• Byronic Commando
  • Tactical danmaku operator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
On my bookshelf:
The Seven Dials Mystery - Pretty clever, though I figured out what was going on.
And Then There Were None - No explanation needed
The Moving Finger - Ayayayaya
Witness For The Prosecution - Short story collection
The Pale Horse - The only one I haven't read through
Endless Night - Recommended.

...Yeah, I'm a fan.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:49:15 PM by C27 »