Author Topic: Anime Recommedations?  (Read 21093 times)

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
Re: Anime Recommedations?
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2012, 03:15:27 AM »
Good point guess I'll remember that for next time.  anyways know any good "Cartoons" at all?   :derp:

* cough this thread over here cough whinny * (click!)
Seriously, though. Ponies may be for you.
And some other shows on the Hub are pretty good, too.

Also Avatar the Last Airbender is good (except the movie).

Other than that, I dunno. Most of the good cartoons have long since left this mortal plane.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
Personally I can never quite put where Gundam and Transformers belong too, I thought Gundam was very cartoon like, but then Transformers also have very anime qualities.

Adding to a list of recommended shows:

Yesterday we were talking about cooking shows, and this COOKING MASTER BOY came to the topic and I was nostalgia'd.
For a 1995-ish anime this is quite aged, but all cooking anime aside, there is hardly a long running one where frying pans and woks are filled with disco lights and rainbows, while time traveling across China and making Tofu enough to kill emperors (via tastebud explosion) with a host of similiarly crazier cooking characters who duel it out in a battle of the chefs thing that involves enemies kidnapping, stealing your food etc...

It is basically iron Chef, but anime form with all its tricks. It is probably side by side with some of the crazy cooking shows about like Yakitate Japan.

and speaking of aged oldies, I didn't think Ranma 1/2 was pretty good on the anime side, wished those chop solid colors were not so ugh, but then for a show that age, I guess you can't expect much. It is still funny though.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Cartoons?  Simpsons, Animanics, Batman: The Animated Series, Popeye, Classic Looney Toons, Duck Tales, Classic Disney, and Tom and Jerry.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
>CTRL+F 'Haibane Renmei'
>No results

ghfdssfdghj

In terms of other stuff that hasn't been mentioned, watch Bakemonogatari (and Nisemonogatari when it ends), Dennou Coil and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni / Kai. If you're into comedy then do Azumanga Daioh as well.

Also the two earliest Sonic cartoons are pretty great. The second one's worth watching for this alone.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
Phineas and Ferb.  It is brilliant, and the best cartoon I've seen since the glory days of Pinky and the Brain and the like.  It curbstomps ponies and eats them for breakfast while singing a catchy song.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
Good point guess I'll remember that for next time.  anyways know any good "Cartoons" at all?   :derp:
If you have any interest in Transformers at all, I recommend either Beast Wars or Animated. Beast Wars has very good CGI (that holds up pretty good even today), and both series have very good plot arcs, enjoyable characters, and nice nods to the classic series.

I also recommend Spectacular Spider-Man, which blows the movies away by a country mile (and has an AMAZING take on the Green Goblin)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
Freakazoid.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
Phineas and Ferb.  It is brilliant, and the best cartoon I've seen since the glory days of Pinky and the Brain and the like.  It curbstomps ponies and eats them for breakfast while singing a catchy song.

I think it might be accurate to call P&F a musical comedy and MLP a sitcom.

Power

• The power is within you. :D
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
Come on no Megas XLR or Samurai Jack.  Man those shows were awesome.   :o

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Welcome to the NHK.
Can't believe nobody has mentioned fate zero.
Wow nobody has mentioned American Animation at all.
Come on no Megas XLR or Samurai Jack.  Man those shows were awesome.   :o

How come you're asking for recommendations, and then keep gasping in disbelief at all the shows we haven't recommended? Do you need recommendations or not?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Power

• The power is within you. :D
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
Yes I do.  Maybe the tittle should have been " any shows that are worth watching.  I don't know maybe it's because the shows that people are recommending aren't really explaining in detail WHY it's good.  It's kind of more like "Here's a show and it's good.".   Yeah I'm a just gonna get on topic on.  Other shows that is good?  Maybe something from the 1990s?   :derp:

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »
Berserk and Elfen Lied quickly come to mind.  Both very NSFW with gratuitous amounts of violence.  Berserk is nearly the epitome of badass, and Elfen Lied is somewhat of a slasher/drama/action if the philisophical subtexts are ignored (or maybe I'm reading too much into the whole, "What is a human?" thing.)
Why do you recommend Elfen Lied without recommending Guilty Crown? :V

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »
Freakazoid.

GUYS DIDN'T YOU HEAR? TOPIC OVER YO.

probably one of the most crazy shows I ever watched, Freakazoid remains terribly memorable.
(standing among greats like Pinky and the Brain)

Why do you recommend Elfen Lied without recommending Guilty Crown? :V

Because Guilty Crown is a trainwreck of plot and broken dreams and void fetish I really don't think they come together as a package as they cater to very different audiences... I would go so far as say GC caters to audiences who will wait throughout season 2 just to get a glimpse of what the end is... or the whole truth is... or something, but it is tormenting, especially with such fickleness. However, it is actually good, good animation, one of the best OST soundtracks, great OP, ED in both seasons and some likeable characters that stand out almost like a gold bar among ash, GC goes somewhere between, if you wanted to torture yourself with impatience... go right ahead.

Elfen Lied is actually significantly better and actually plot worthy. (and bonus Klimt art in the OP is just fantastic) The characters are twisted to begin with, and well... in case your inner Guro fan wakes up, there is always Nana... It actually leaves a very ambiguous end for everyone, and which is what I like in the story.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:36:07 AM by ♛ 少女の醜態るるる~~夢~天国 »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »
Actually, never heard of Guilty Crown.  The way AF describes it, I'm a bit reminded of the comparison of Evangelion and RahXephon; which in turn reminds me I still need to check out RahXephon (and now Guilty Crown).

AF did you already recommend Star Driver?  That's another amazingly fun mecha to watch.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:40 AM »
AF did you already recommend Star Driver?  That's another amazingly fun mecha to watch.

If you're okay with absurd amounts of FABULOUS and AWESOME MECHAS and DOUBLE EXPLOSIONS, fuck yeah watch Star Driver. I loved it, but a lot of my friends found it too ridiculous.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra