Author Topic: Megathreads  (Read 7769 times)

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Megathreads
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »

>locked for being a megathread.

>stickied megathread.

Yeah, I'm confused. Can someone explain the basis for this and/or clarify which kinds of megathreads are okay? Thanks.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Megathreads
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
You're not the only one.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »
Because the anime one was killing the board in question, whereas that particular one in gamers hasn't really stopped people from making separate threads for different games.  At least during my casual perusal it didn't seem to be replacing otherwise legitimate discussion.

If that gamers thread is eating posts that would otherwise be decent discussions then I would give it the axe too.  You have to understand I don't have a problem with twittery status update type threads in and of themselves, I have a problem when they kill conversation.

Before I lifted the activity lock there were only 5 open threads in SAVIOR and there was tons of discussion worthy posts being crammed in that what are you watching thread.  I don't see that problem happening in Akyu's so I left that thread alone.

The point wasn't to ban a particular type of thread or discussion, but to encourage discussion outside of one monster thread.  We had this problem before and I made it clear if a thread starts getting to that stage of killing other discussion it will get shut down.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:30:11 PM by ♫ Trans Siberian Orchestra ♪ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »
I don't have a complaint with breaking up megathreads into smaller threads, but I was under the impression it was a flat-out "no megathreads" policy. I'm glad there's some flexibility there.

Having said that, you picked a fine time to lock that thread! Most of the series that people are following are more than half over by now. Like, Mirai Nikki - which a lot of people are following and were actively discussing in the general thread - has like, nine episodes left in a 26 ep series. No one is going to start a thread on that now, so yeah, conversation about that series is effectively killed.

On the other hand, we have BRS (eight eps) and Mouretsu Pirates (six episodes into a 26 ep series), plus a new thread on manga started, so it's not the end of the world. I just think the general thread could have been allowed to run its course until the end of the season first, but hey. It's not the end of the world, and it's not like you didn't make the "no megathreads" policy a matter of public knowledge.

Consider the point taken.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:51:38 AM »
Do you really have to be an ass about it?

This isn't some new rule, we had a huge debate about it.  It has been policy for a very long time.  The idea was that sort of twittery style update thread was fine but if there was some sort of discussion brewing those posts would get split into their own thread or a separate thread created.  I intervened because seriously, before I turned off the autolock that forum was deader than the forum it replaced, and the only reason was because everything was being crammed in that one thread.  There is TONS of available discussion but since it's all stuck in one thread who is seriously going to sift through it to find out if their one show is being discussed?

As for letting it run its course until the end of the season, we have done that several times.  When we originally banned the thread, we waited until it hit the post limit before killing it off.  We did that again when we made that a general anime/manga/whatever board.  This isn't a new policy at all.  But since we didn't watch like a hawk to stop it it fell back in and now I have to do clean up again.  Nothing is stopping you from splitting those posts out and creating threads, and I SERIOUSLY doubt those discussions are totally dead just because I killed the megathread.  I bet like magic if you make the thread, gee people will post in it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:53:57 AM by ♫ Trans Siberian Orchestra ♪ »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:23:37 AM »
Do you really have to be an ass about it?

The fuck? How am I being an ass about agreeing with you?

Just pointed out some peripheral data points that I emphasized were not a big deal.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:28:37 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »
Oh really? It came off as really sarcastic lol.  Internet o/

Sorry I've been cleaning all day and I think the cleaning fumes are getting to me D:

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
Sorry I've been cleaning all day and I think the cleaning fumes are getting to me D:

/s/cleaning/huffing paint/

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:32 AM »
you will never escape poe's law

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »
/s/cleaning/huffing paint/
No more like huffing lead solder and whatever the fuck was in my cold air return that shit was nasty.

Tengukami

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »
you will never escape poe's law

Only that doesn't apply here. This would be saying that there's no way to tell whether my post is trolling or not because, as extreme or controversial as it is, there are people who sincerely feel this way.

But there is nothing in my post to indicate trolling or sarcasm, and is neither extreme nor controversial.

For the last time, I agree with the decision to lock the thread and appreciate the clarification on the actual megathread policy.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
Alrighty, I see where you're coming from now. Much obliged.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »
No harm no foul I just took your tone as sarcasm mostly because of the part about Mirai Nikki discussion being dead.  Basically I read sarcasm because if I were to be sarcastic you did it perfectly lol.

Tengukami

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
And maybe people are so used to me being sarcastic that they can't tell when I'm being sincere. Sure wouldn't be the first time.

I'm like the boy who cried wolf over here.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
Only that doesn't apply here.
And maybe people are so used to me being sarcastic that they can't tell when I'm being sincere.
so i uh

im confused :fail:

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
so i uh

im confused :fail:

OK, let me put it in even simpler terms: there was nothing in my post to indicate I was trolling or was expressing some outrageous opinion that some fringe folks actually believe. hth.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »
OK, let me put it in even simpler terms: there was nothing in my post to indicate I was trolling or was expressing some outrageous opinion that some fringe folks actually believe. hth.
oh okay I think I get it now

although I kinda also disagree since I think "Having said that, you picked a fine time to lock that thread!" can easily be interpreted as sarcasm :3

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
Are you being sarcastic with me? >:(

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
...maybe :moogy:

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:02 PM »
you must construct additional moogy

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
I think I had a point while I was reading but when I finished reading I ???

whatever, just go make anime threads, you double dolts
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .