Author Topic: Favorite Touhou remixes and circle/artist  (Read 15109 times)

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
Favorite Touhou remixes and circle/artist
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »
So, I'm still looking over the plethora of circles and artist that spawn off multiple remixes (and I am still not done, based on what I have read somewhere, they're up to 1.36+ Terabyte, and is still growing by the month).

It would be too easy to answer your favorite music or artist (many would say IOSYS, Bad Apple!, etc.), so let's try this:

For each genre type, which artist is your favorite and what would be their best songs (IYO) to date (with album if possible)?

For example (I have a limited library, so I can't give all as I haven't heard all types)

Rock: Demetori - Ascension into Naught
Vocals: Liz-Triangle - Choice between the the Broken Moon remix (I forgot the name) & the Septette of the Dead Princess remix (ditto on the name)
8-bit: Hobby Atelier Carrot Wine (Rockgirl)- Tie between Black Wing Girl, Vampire Girl or Racto Girl

OSTs from doujin games can count:

Koumajou Densetsu - Scarlet Tears (both versions), Rose Killing Carmelia, Last Phantasm, Unnatural Chill
Megamari: Sakuya's Stage, Eirin's Stage, Yuyuko's Stage

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Favorite Touhou remixes and circle/artist
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
I don't see O-Life Japan in your post.

Get out.

In seriousness:
Rock/Vocals: Studio K2 (YU-MU)
Arranges: O-Life Japan (everything, but especially Footsteps of Winter Calls)
Orchestral: Kitsune's Workshop (everything, but especially...um...everything)
8-bit: ARA (ROCKGIRL) (cannot find the second one, hmmm)

If you want to pull up doujin games, Sengoku Gensokyo and Devil of Decline both had overwhelmingly good soundtracks.  White Tiger and Black Tortoise from the former, and Makai 2 and any of the boss battles from the latter.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:51:24 AM by GET SMART »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
Forgive me if I don't know the genres of my favorite fan remixes.
A few of my favorites (dunno if I should add more later):

Heisei Kappa Compendium from SOUND HOLIC's 風 -KAZE-
Cirno's Unfounded Revenge from Touhou Mother
The OST from The Genius of Sappheiros (particularly the remixes of Kid's Festival ~ Innocent Treasures; don't know what they're called.)
明神変化 (Great Deity of Transformation) from Liz Triangle's reunion
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
I'm still looking over things, and I did mention that my library is small. I'll look into O-Life Japan soon, as well as GoS & DoD.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
Oh god I got quite a few

Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets (formerly known as Studio K2): Amazing rock and vocals that brings back a lot of what rock used to be. Dunno why but it gives off a lot of the Classic Rock vibe, which is amazing. Listen to YU-MU

Foreground Eclipse: Honestly, I think this band is one of the best (if not, the only one), that takes screaming vocals into something beautiful instead of just being brutal. So much emotion, with AMAZING metal instrumentation backing it up. This band is absolutely beautiful, and may even be my current favourite right now.

Draw the Emotional (Yuyoyuppe): Though mostly known for his Vocaloid works, he has made 2 touhou arranges, replacing vocaloid vocals with real singers this time, but his best work imo are when Meramipop is involved because HOLY SHIT are they amazing together. Then again, Meramipop is amazing in any metal background, which explains why Foreground Eclipse is so amazing <3

Demetori: He is really great, one of my favourites, but not THE favourite, because there are a few songs that seems alright to me, but still, a majority are amazing. But HOLY HELL have you heard his recent UN Owen arrange. What a way to come back.

I have others, but it's usually only comprised on them doing one good song, and the rest being mediocre. So :V

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »
I love almost everything by dBu and Jun.A, and O-Life Japan is usually hit-or-miss for me, but when it "hits", ohh maaaannn..... :D
Magnum Opus and Dark Phoenix are also way up on my list, though I don't particularly like everything they put out.
After getting past all their crazy memetic songs, I found that IOSYS actually has some pretty good vocal and non-vocal remixes (though I'm typically inclined toward the latter).
Oh yes, and Kitsune Workshop...I only discovered them recently, but what they do is amazing.

I'm really generalizing here.  I have tons of favorite groups, and I'm not even going to get into my favorite specific remixes, but these few groups are just right up there as my absolute favorites.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
If you're looking for more aggressive rock, find nazz-can's stuff, mostly on a couple of the old NEUTRAL albums.  God tier.

I'll have to post links and stuff when I get home from work.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
If you're looking for more aggressive rock, find nazz-can's stuff, mostly on a couple of the old NEUTRAL albums.  God tier.

Please do...

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »

D'oh, how could I forget NEUTRAL...I love their albums too!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
NEUTRAL's later albums are great compared to their old works (the metal works, I remembered they tried to pull off an IOSYS once...didn't end well at all, which is why they went back to metal :V

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:54 AM »
Jun.A of Sound Sepher and A-One are two of my favorites when it comes to arrangers/music circles.

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
When it come to circles, I guess my current top faves are Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets (I hope they get back into making Touhou remixes), and dBu music.

Other favorites include Buta-Otome, Hatsunetsumiko's (I kinda like their style), and, yes, Innocent Key.

When it comes down to music and vocals examples are...
Machibito wa Kozu (Buta-Otome) and especially the piano version.
A-Yah-YAh-YaH-YAH! (forestpireo) and the slightly altered and more recent version form Diao ye zong (withered leaf)
Electro-Spective KYOTO (minimum electric design)
Akeboshi Rocket (Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets) vocal and non vocal version.

..among others. I have several other top faves though.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
There's no Floating Cloud.  Let's fix that.  Alright? 

O-Life Japan, Demetori,  is always good.

Chen

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
Orchestral: WAVE One of their really good songs.

Yeah, WAVE is pretty much my favorite for orchestral pieces too.  They have some really nice stuff: some are calming, some are epic.

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 01:41:46 AM »
Prog: Eastern Dream arrange by Demetori. The solo at 4:45 and the one towards the end are just plain amazing, and the progressions have grown on me to the point where it's probably the song I cherish the most among the 130Gb of music I've stored so far, along with a few other non-Touhou stuff.

Metal: About half of the Touhou stuff I've stored is some variant of metal, so I love tons of it, of course. Particularly great are CROW'SCLAW's Mystery Metropolis (along with the rest of the Frozen Frog album. Over the Rainbow is also great), Demetori's power metal arrange of Mysterious Mountain, Unlucky Morpheus' very recent Flowering Night and a bunch of others.

Vocal: I'm very fond of Merami's work in Foreground Eclipse despite having thought that my metalcore days were over long ago, other stuff includes Sally, Luschka, and Rib;y, who does some Touhou stuff but I love mostly due to his work in non-Touhou circles such as Imperial Circus Dead Decadence and Vermillion-D Alice Syndrome.

Jazz: Swinging Misfortune and pretty much anything by Swing Holic Band, Azure & Sands and Tokyo Active Neets, specially those that tend to go wild in the improvisations, such as this one.

Acoustic: Mostly Forest306 and Overtuner, but this rare Lunate Elf acoustic arrange with some flute work I found some time ago still manages to beat anything I can find with the exception of  IRON ATTACK, who made what I'm pretty sure is the best acoustic arrange around. I really wish they made more acoustic stuff.

Orchestral: Pretty much WAVE and Tutti Sound.

Folk/Irish: I see all of Phlegeth's Floating Cloud and raise it to this Mooned Insect arranged by them. I'm pretty sure that a minute and a half in they forget they're arranging Touhou and just go mad on their stuff. Kou Ogata also does really good work.

Erhu: There's a lot of good erhu touhou goodness, but this one just shines above all.

Piano: I like Cool&Create's insane U.N Owen arrange too much. Then there's a particularly beautiful piece by StudioA' and tons of other great piano work that I have yet to go over, but will most likely be great if this is anything to go by.

Other: Schwarzwald are the kings of creepy Touhou music, and BITPLANE did a nice job with this orgel-ish music box thingy. TAM's violin is great, specially Silent Ensemble, these guys are awesome with their use of traditional instruments, I also have this fun flamenco arrange of Love-Coloured Master Spark on my Ipod that's in full moonspeak and therefore can't search for and tons of other memorable Touhou stuff.
As a music junkie, if I ever do leave this fandom chances are I'll still be checking out the new music, it's a world of its own.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
I tend more to follow singers than circles themselves, and am lately really digging Mei Ayakura and Sayuri Anpo. Both vocalists with incredibly powerful and versatile voices. As talented as miko is, I think it's a shame that her idolatry sort of overshadows all these other amazing singers. In fairness, neither Mei nor Sayuri seem to like having their photos taken, and they perform live very seldom, if at all. So maybe they prefer to lurk in the shadows, just singing and recording, without actively trying to build up their otaku army.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:17:13 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
By the way.

Arranges: O-Life Japan (everything, but especially Footsteps of Winter Calls)

This is gold, I haven't been able to get it out of my head since I listened to it the other day, thanks for that.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
I don't have many, but this track and, this one are what I seem to favor the most. Mostly for how relaxing and chill they are. Love listening to them when I'm writing or just want to unwind for a bit.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Avan Nozomi

• Look, it's a Rawrgna!
  • 何が遠い旅行ですか?
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Oh man, I have so many favorites that it's hard to name them all... But let's try anyway.

Folk: Floating Cloud and some of the stuff from O-Life Japan
Orchestral: Kitsune's Workshop, WAVE, Tutti Sound, and other stuff from O-Life Japan (What genre do these guys do, anyway?)
Vocal: Hotaru's vocals are amazing (From Halozy) and I also love Vivienne's, too. (FELT)
Rock: Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets.
Techno: Halozy, EastNewSound... *cough* Amateras Records and Alstroemeria Records.

I have a lot more, but I'll just leave those here.
I can see the glory cause I wipe my tears
All part of the same thing be signed
I really want to feel delight
Even if I live in dying dreams
-Truly Glory, by FELT