Author Topic: Is Sakuya a vampire?  (Read 19474 times)

Is Sakuya a vampire?
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »
It's just one thing I wondered about. Vampires seem to have pale hair(blonde, or somewhere between silver and light blue), light skin, etc. and often red eyes. Sakuya is often depicted with red eyes, is pale and has light hair(silver, sometimes tinted blue).

I really like the theory that she was a vampire hunter. Her haircut really looks like a "strong female warrior" haircut(maybe I'm just saying this because it looks like Reina's from Queen's blade) just with bows on it.

She seems to willingly go along with her role for some reason, and it seems odd she'd do that unless she went all Lord Genome or something.

I think maybe what happened is that Remilia at the time couldn't outright defeat her, and instead infected her with Vampirism. As long as she stays with Remilia, she would manipulate Sakuya's fate so it would not develop. This is why she can go out during the day, she only has the initial cosmetic onset of vampirism, she has the light haired, red eyed rather unsettling look but has not developed any kind of allergy to sunlight.

In the games you play as Sakuya in, it seems that nature means a lot to Sakuya, it was of her own interest as to why spring was not coming, etc. so it would be understandable she would not want to loose the ability to freely move around at full strength during the day. As long as she remains with Remilia, she does not fully develop vampirism and can do this.

Either that, or it was Flandre that infected her, Sakuya was sent to kill Flandre since she's more of an actual threat, and Remilia in some smug arrogant way took pity on her.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:11:19 PM by Rosie Rune »

Easy Mode

Re: Is Sakuya a vampire?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:10:43 PM »
Of all the possible races Sakuya can be, I'm choosing Lunarian.
The Touhou Wiki convinced me.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »
My explanation is more interesting though :( It kind of fits everything together, apart from why she knows Eirin.

But given Eirin is a "genius Pharmacist", that kind of makes sense in of itself. Also, Sakuya's powers are related to the moon, so maybe she got them on the moon, or from a Lunarian, rather than being one herself. It just seems a bit awkward to me somehow for her to be Lunarian.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:13:37 PM by Rosie Rune »

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
With the exception of EoSD, Sakuya has grey eyes in all the games.

Easy Mode

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Ugh, she looked like a thumb with a face in EoSD.
And I thought her eyes were blue.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
Ahh yeah she only had red eyes once. Still there may be some significance to that. ZUN may have changed it to make it look less obvious, or not to confuse people.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
I like to think her eyes turn red whenever she uses her time manipulation.

But yeah, that's an interesting theory.  I've always thought that the vampire hunter theory, whilst admitedly being pretty cool, didn't really make much sense.  I can't see her becoming Remilia's faithful servant just because she was defeated by her.  Of course, I always liked to think that she was left at the SDM as a baby and was raised by Remi/Patchy/Meiling, but that's just me.

As for the whole Flan being more of a threat than Remi thing, though, I have to disagree.  Whilst Flan is admitedly a lot more powerful, Remi is a lot more intelligent, cunning and, well, mentally stable.  She'd be the one I'd be wary of, not Flan.  But, again, that's just me.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:19:15 PM »
But given Eirin is a "genius Pharmacist", that kind of makes sense in of itself. Also, Sakuya's powers are related to the moon, so maybe she got them on the moon, or from a Lunarian, rather than being one herself. It just seems a bit awkward to me somehow for her to be Lunarian.
That's what I think, at least the 'got them from a Lunarian' part.

The idea of her being a Lunarian herself seems rather inconsistent and out there. I can't freely look at it without saying 'okay this doesn't/isn't supposed to work'. Perhaps she met an unamed Lunarian somewhere in the past who not only gave Sakuya the powers she has now but also in turn knew of Eirin and thus passed on that knowledge to Sakuya.

Or something like that.

Ugh, she looked like a thumb with a face in EoSD.
And I thought her eyes were blue.
Don't get me started on Meiling...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:21:08 PM by Nrvnqsr Erebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
Generally people who are mentally stable are less dangerous because you can reason with them on terms of their own interests. People who don't give a shit what happens are the most dangerous.

I think my theory explains why she stays with Remilia.

Or actually, I have a better revision. Given she was a Vampire Hunter, she was bitten by an earlier Vampire and began to show signs of change while fighting Remilia. Remilia pointed it out, and Sakuya had no choice but to calm down. Then Remilia promised her that if she worked for her in the mansion, she would manipulate her fate so she would not become a vampire. Since Sakuya seems to be a bit of a child of nature and likes wandering around during the day, she took Remilia up on it and is grateful to her for this reason.

The reason she knows Eirin I think has to do with where she got her time powers rather than being Lunarian. I think maybe she met Eirin after she was infected looking for a cure, but she could not give her one. She gave her something to slow down the transformation, that by accident turned out to be something that slowed down time instead. Touhou is full of things like this exploring and mixing up the meaning of ridiculous reality fucking powers. It would also explain why she can only slow down time or stop it(which is just slowing it down to the degree it appears paused to her) rather than manipulating it completely.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:23:56 PM by Rosie Rune »

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 05:22:52 PM »
It's always a wonder to me how all the cast in the mansion come together.

something that slowed down time instead.
Stop time, not slow time.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »

It says she can control the flow of time, actually. She can accelerate time too. However she cannot turn it back.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »

I really see Hong as answering an advert in some local paper. MARTIAL ARTIST WANTED. Or being imported cheap chinese labour.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »
Patchouli and Remilia are said to have been friends before they appeared in Gensokyo.

Sakuya we're discussing now it seems.

Flandre's case is self explanatory so I won't waste finger strength on it.

The only ones that need a thorough explanation are Meiling, and (maybe) Koakuma.

Although for Koakuma I had a theory which tied into the one Muffin had; Koakuma was a Devil who originally lived in Makai, and perhaps knew of Elis (or was related to her, possibly even being her daughter, but let's leave that alone for now). Koakuma was later summoned by Patchouli (way before the events of MS) as a Succubus familiar to help with Library tasks and what not.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
Is sakuya a vampire?

Obviously not since she's on the human side of the Phantom Gauge.
rofl bye

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
Shortest answer to the question so far: not yet.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/.daws/yuyuko/dizzy.pestermom.com/pg/thcomic39.php on line 1 

Oh =S

Hieda no Aya

• I see you remodeled.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
Quote from: Sakuya
I will be a mortal human my whole life.

Incidentally, as far as red eyes go, the exact same thing happened with Youmu: red in her first appearance, blue afterwards. And then you have Alice whose eye color has been different every time she's drawn, and Reimu who's had her eyes randomly change within one game... I'm not convinced ZUN really cares about that as much as we do.

Drake

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
Sakuya's eyes turn red when she's using certain kinds of time manipulation. Note in SWR.

Killing Doll: Blue
Private Square: Blue
Inscribe Red Soul: Red
Phantomic Killer in Night Mist: Blue
Sakuya's World: Blue
Soul Sculpture: Red
Silver Bound: Blue
Eternal Meek: Red
Luminous Ricochet: Blue
Sakuya's Special Stopwatch: Blue

The slashing ones are the only time they turn red. She stops time otherwise, too.
Also in EoSD Stage 5 she stopped time to keep you at bay. Nevertheless in Stage 6, her eyes are still red.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »
Sakuya's eyes turn red when she's using certain kinds of time manipulation. Note in SWR.

Fair skin, red eyes and platinum hair. Clearly a sign on albinism vampirism power su...

A WIIIIIIITTTCCCHHH!!!!!!!!!!
rofl bye

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »

Killing Doll: Blue
Private Square: Blue
Inscribe Red Soul: Red
Phantomic Killer in Night Mist: Blue
Sakuya's World: Blue
Soul Sculpture: Red
Silver Bound: Blue
Eternal Meek: Red
Luminous Ricochet: Blue
Sakuya's Special Stopwatch: Blue

The slashing ones are the only time they turn red. She stops time otherwise, too.
Also in EoSD Stage 5 she stopped time to keep you at bay. Nevertheless in Stage 6, her eyes are still red.

Red shift/blue shift? That's what time manipulation would probably actually look like. Though I don't think it works like Sakuya's power. I think blue shift would be doing back in time, and red shift forwards. Come be wrong. Sakuya normally slows down time which is "relatively" a backwards movement, so I think it should be blue. Speeding up would be red.

Of course ZUN doesn't pay attention to eye colour, apparently based on the above, but there might be some significance in this particular game.

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 12:56:55 AM »
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /home/.daws/yuyuko/dizzy.pestermom.com/pg/thcomic39.php on line 1 

Oh =S
Fixed |3

Drake

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 01:36:19 AM »
Regardless all of her spellcards require slowing down or stopping time, not speeding it up.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 01:49:17 AM »
Regardless all of her spellcards require slowing down or stopping time, not speeding it up.

I guess eternal meek comes close enough with all the high speed bullets. And if she's slowing you down it's the same thing as getting faster herself.
rofl bye

Drake

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 02:50:25 AM »
Although, even if the red eyes indicated a superhuman movement during timeslow, it doesn't explain her eyes in EoSD.

Then again lol ZUN.

shinyjam

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 02:53:35 AM »
We are giving Zun too much credit of him knowing what his doing.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
Oh shit... for once I agree with shinyjam... something must be TERRIBLY wrong. Except I'd use "You" instead of "We"
rofl bye

Tenbatsu! Myon Rabbie

• I cannot and will not learn.
  • Letty is sick of my shit.
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
Sakuya is a superhuman.

shinyjam

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »
We are giving Zun too much credit of him knowing what his doing.
I take back what I said. That is all.

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 12:09:23 AM »
comments:
- Sakuya isn't a vampire, since she can go out in daytime (see PCB/IaMP/PoFV/SWR) while Remilia can't. Actually, Remilia can, to an extent (EoSD's good ending #1, I think), but must avoid exposure for a long time.
- Sakuya isn't Eirin from an alternate time, since Eirin is said to be older than Tsukuyomi, who was (according to japanese folklore if I understood it correctly) the first human to go to the moon, taking some family members with him, after realizing that the moon was pure (the lunarians don't die of age due to this "pureness"). Being older than Tsukuyomi, and having taken care of Kaguya (who's a lot older than Sakuya, being a mythological figure) for.. much more time before Sakuya even existed would make Eirin knowing Sakuya unlikely, let alone being Sakuya.
- While Remilia is rational and responsible enough for running the SDM, Remilia is quite easily manipulated still (SSiB), though she may have realized that. Flandre doesn't seem as willing to use her abilities as Remilia is, she is also stated to be usually docile, though she sometimes lacks the understanding of when to not use her powers (in this case, against humans), but has once saved the SDM from a falling meteor by using her powers (from within the SDM)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Drake

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 12:56:41 AM »
By the way, Remilia caused that meteor to fall for Flandre to blow up.