Author Topic: A Taste of Animethon 2012  (Read 6797 times)

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
A Taste of Animethon 2012
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
Since my previous thread got deleted... Decided to start it again since it's this week.

Looking at the events, there's not a lot of stuff I actually would like to go to.

Stuff I'm interested in:
Advanced Cosplay Weapons
Anime and Game Jeoprody (maybe.)
Anatomy for Anime
Living in Japan
Maybe playing some board games
Cosplay Contest, just for a while to see what's there.

Regarding the Touhou Panel.
So from what I've heard, it's the same guy running the Touhou Panel again. I'm mainly annoyed that the guy couldn't clear Stage 3 Marisa on hard mode. And the fact that it was too short, and not enough to target already fans. I'm not sure whether I still want to go, but I'm thinking of being an absolute troll and trying to clear Extra Mode while he's there

Re: A Taste of Animethon 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
What's been happening with the Touhou panel:

A lot of us have been... let's just say disappointed with the previous panels due to the host's apparent lack of familiarity with the series. An acquaintance of mine planned to host her own panel this year and submitted the paperwork for it as soon as it was announced that submissions were open... and didn't get the panel because the guy submitted BEFORE the announcement. When the convention staff were emailed regarding this, the response given was passive-aggressive and full of grammatical errors.

Needless to say, most of us involved are very frustrated with this outcome and plan to boycott the panel.

Not sure what I'm gonna be doing. Definitely going for the vendor room and the dance, but everything else seems up in the air.

gammaraptor

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:16 AM »
What's been happening with the Touhou panel:

A lot of us have been... let's just say disappointed with the previous panels due to the host's apparent lack of familiarity with the series. An acquaintance of mine planned to host her own panel this year and submitted the paperwork for it as soon as it was announced that submissions were open... and didn't get the panel because the guy submitted BEFORE the announcement. When the convention staff were emailed regarding this, the response given was passive-aggressive and full of grammatical errors.

Needless to say, most of us involved are very frustrated with this outcome and plan to boycott the panel.

Not sure what I'm gonna be doing. Definitely going for the vendor room and the dance, but everything else seems up in the air.

The guy submitted before hand? What the dick. I submitted my own application too. Yeah, next time let's submit our panel application a few monthes before hand. I'd like to see them complain about that when  we point to this example.

Yeah, gonna go pick up a few items maybe at the vendor's room. Hope it isn't way too overpriced this year.

gammaraptor

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
Well, I went to the touhou panel. Son, I am disappoint T.T. There were some other bad panels: eg. Anatomy for Anime. It wasn't that great. The person just read off the slide

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »
Aw, sucks. How did everything turn out on the cosplay front?

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
Well, compared to last year's AToA, this felt pretty lackluster. A bunch of my friends weren't able to come due to work/conflicting schedules; I assume we've gone on enough about the Touhou panel (I didn't go), and the dance was... extremely lacking compared to last year (they didn't even have glowsticks :()

On the bright side, there were some pretty well-done cosplays (and some pretty impressive Touhou cosplays, which I made damn sure to get photos of), the vendors were pretty well-stocked, and the Synaptic Chaos Theater improv was a hit as usual

Photos are coming (once I get out of bed), please wait warmly...

gammaraptor

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
Well, compared to last year's AToA, this felt pretty lackluster. A bunch of my friends weren't able to come due to work/conflicting schedules; I assume we've gone on enough about the Touhou panel (I didn't go), and the dance was... extremely lacking compared to last year (they didn't even have glowsticks :()

On the bright side, there were some pretty well-done cosplays (and some pretty impressive Touhou cosplays, which I made damn sure to get photos of), the vendors were pretty well-stocked, and the Synaptic Chaos Theater improv was a hit as usual

Photos are coming (once I get out of bed), please wait warmly...

99 Yen Challenge was hilarious. Yeah, decent stock. I just wish they would have more variety, I can almost never find Lucky Star stuff. I actually managed to get a Touhou wallscroll at A18 once.... but you people would get a lot more money out of me if you had more stuff... Just saying. Saw a Mokou, a pretty nice hakutaku Keine. I also saw a Flandre, and a Byakuren. My sister said she saw a Patchy.... But that's about it. It was a nice break from school and things, so it was alright.

On the brighter side, I got introduced to some new animes. (K-On, Blue Exorcist, Angel Beats). I'm kind of sad that I didn't know much about these animes earlier, but they have now been added to my "to-watch list" so to speak. I didn't take a lot of photos. Oh well, guess I have to wait till Animethon....

Speaking of which, I had to convince my parents to let me go on this ATOA by saying I would get over 90% on my Chemistry Midterm on Monday. Otherwise, I won't be able to go to A19. So time to study hard T.T

Re: A Taste of Animethon 2012 (now with photos!)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »
Well, photos are finally ready to post, so without further ado. I wasn't able to get any pics from the panels or the dance because getting a good angle for them would have been a nightmare, but I'm satisfied with what I have.

Megurine Luca. Vocaloid cosplayers seem to be a standby at Edmonton cons. Unfortunately there were a lot of good ones I weren't able to get pics of, like Meiko and pirate Miku.

Ciel and Sebastian from Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji. This series seems to be insanely popular up here, you can't even go to one of the smaller cons without seeing at least two or three cosplays from it.

An impressive Byakuren cosplayer. Somebody more skilled at image editing than me add in the Namusan scroll please

An acquaintance of mine's EX-Keine cosplay, the construction of which I was following for a while before the con. She was the one who wanted to run the Touhou panel originally, before bureaucracy reared its ugly head.

Said EX-Keine cosplayer with her boyfriend.

Patchypatchypatchypatchy

Flandre cosplayer. Like the wings, and she had a very well-done Laevataenn (not pictured, sadly)

Nina Einstein cosplayer who was hanging around with Flan. Later on I saw her carrying around one of those folding TV tray-tables. Make of that what you will.

Hell Girl, Madoka, and nyan hat.

One of the con staffers cosplaying as Mami.

Madoka and Mami combining forces.

Richie from Pokemon. I actually thought this was a MM Legends character at first due to my laughably terrible memory.

Chun-li from Street Fighter.

Iori from King of Fighters. I think this is the first time I've seen a cosplay from the series in person,.

Pretty sure this is whats-her-name frome Kore wa Zombie Desu ka who I just call Chainsaw Hayate for being unable to remember her name.

One of the guys from L4D2, I'm pretty sure. Actually had to kneel to get a good angle for this.

I have no idea who these two are but they look amaaaaziiiing

Meer and Lacus from Gundam SEED Destiny bordering some girl with angel wings I don't recognize.

One of the staffers crossplaying Ryoji from Persona 3. Oh that magnificent scarf

Utena cosplayer with someone I don't recognize. I really wish I could find DVDs of the series at the con that weren't the $75 set of the final arc

The number of PSG cosplayers has dropped off massively since last year, it seems.

Dave Strider from Homestuck, apparently. My second guess was going to be Kreayshawn.

Mia and... Iris? from the Ace Attorney series. I haven't played most of the games in years so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

PINKIE PIE WHOOOOOOOO

I'm actually mildly creeped out by the Prinny costume, especially when the guy's not wearing it and just leaving it next to the table, to stare at you with those eyes...

One of my friends' FMA cosplays. The helmet was made by a friend in Ontario, we're not actually sure what it's made out of.

Death and... someone else from Soul Eater, I presume.

Another acquaintance of mine dressed as one of the girls from Tokyo Mew Mew. Either Peach or Berry, I can't remember.

A stack of cats that was on one of the tables. I have no idea who made this or why.

My haul. I suspect the Kyubey is a bootleg since I don't see any manufacturer logos or information on the box...

So that's pretty much it for AToA. I have plans for Animethon proper in August, but right now my priority's finding a job and seeing if I can get some money aside for Anime North this spring.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:18:33 PM by Nanoha TACamachi »

gammaraptor

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:35 AM »
Go sign up, now. Panel submission is opened.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:06 AM »
Go sign up, now. Panel submission is opened.
I'm filling out the form right now, but looking over the convention forums it sounds like the guy who was doing it before WON'T be hosting the panel at Animethon proper, meaning that next time it'll likely go to the person I'd much rather have in charge.

While I'd enjoy running my own panel (and Gpop's panel at Anime North is a huge inspiration to me), I really don't feel like getting involved in any political jockeying or drama over it.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »

My haul.
Yesssssss Sakura Taisen \o\

Looks like you had fun! Was it just the one day, or was it over the weekend and you only went on Saturday?

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 02:03:03 AM »
Yesssssss Sakura Taisen \o\

Looks like you had fun! Was it just the one day, or was it over the weekend and you only went on Saturday?
It was thirty dollars I couldn't not buy it

It was just one day long, it's sort of a teaser for the main convention which happens in August (Otafest in the next city over does a similar thing with their own mini-convention Otalite)

gammaraptor

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »
It was thirty dollars I couldn't not buy it

It was just one day long, it's sort of a teaser for the main convention which happens in August (Otafest in the next city over does a similar thing with their own mini-convention Otalite)

Where the heck did you find that Reimu Nendroid plush? I was looking for Touhou stuff for quite a while, couldn't find a thing.
Although the ppl at Cosplay Canada played Marisa Stole The Precious Thing. I heard something, and then I was like. OMG ^^. And then I sang along.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:31:03 AM »
Where the heck did you find that Reimu Nendroid plush? I was looking for Touhou stuff for quite a while, couldn't find a thing.

It was in a pile of plushes, pretty sure it was the second or third vendor on the left. The GIFT plushies are pretty much the only legit/official Touhou merchandise I ever see around here, despite having been searching for quite a while.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »
Huh, they weren't bootlegs? Did they come inside of the plastic bag and cost about $60? :P

Good to see you had fun!