Author Topic: It's over! Touhou Seimoe 2011!  (Read 259833 times)

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
Re: It's here! Touhou Seimoe 2011!
« Reply #960 on: January 23, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
Almost 1 hour left, and Youmu has a 10 vote lead. I think it's almost over.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #961 on: January 23, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
Two votes away from breaking Alice vs Koishi for biggest match. I hope there aren't any cheaters :c
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

« Reply #962 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »
About 7 minutes left and Youmu seems to have clear lead, so I can already say this:
Congratulations Youmu Konpaku!!! You deserve it.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #963 on: January 23, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
Congrats to Youmu. Was hoping for Kogasa, but Youmu's cool too. as long as it isn't Sakuya.

At least Koishi made it through to the second round beating another popular character, Suwako. Too bad she had to go against Alice next :(

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #964 on: January 23, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
I would like to thank everyone who participated; The contest wouldn't have run without you. Thank you for putting up with me.

I don't think I'm going to run the contest again the same way next time (later this year - I'll probably do it September-ish.) I don't think this format "works" in the west. Nobody wants to wait an hour to vote. I didn't want the results to be in dispute due to cheating, so I put cheater protection above all else, and the result was that the results are too small to be considered representative of western fandom's feelings. I also expected vote counts to rise as the contest went on - The result is the OPPOSITE. People stop voting when their favorites are eliminated. With these two critical design failures, the contest was doomed to failure before it even began.

The bandwidth usage was far below what I expected, so I'll probably run my own imageboard next time, rather than expect pooshlmer to put up with it. I didn't even ask their permission. Both pooshlmer and 4chan told me to fuck off early on. I should probably go ask why.

I need to make the voting scripts and interface not look so bland and ugly. The status page should be a proper bracket instead of a database dump. This probably went a long way toward driving people off as well.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: It's over! Touhou Seimoe 2011!
« Reply #965 on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
Yay, Youmu won, and by 16 votes even.
When I saw the final match I thought it was over, but then when I voted Youmu had a 7 vote lead.

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #966 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »
Youmu won!  :toot: I wanna hug her little ghost half so much.

I don't think I'm going to run the contest again the same way next time (later this year - I'll probably do it September-ish.) I don't think this format "works" in the west. Nobody wants to wait an hour to vote. I didn't want the results to be in dispute due to cheating, so I put cheater protection above all else, and the result was that the results are too small to be considered representative of western fandom's feelings. I also expected vote counts to rise as the contest went on - The result is the OPPOSITE. People stop voting when their favorites are eliminated. With these two critical design failures, the contest was doomed to failure before it even began.
I felt the anti-cheating measures were only a mild inconvenience at best, but most anons apparently disagree. On that note, I would suggest making people wait half an hour instead of an hour (unless technological reasons demand otherwise). Yes, there was cheating, but not as much as I expected; decreasing the waiting time would probably encourage more people to vote while deterring the cheaters.

As for the other design flaw, that one is out of anybody's control. I'm not sure how we could deal with this issue, though I agree that having your own imageboard for this would help.

I need to make the voting scripts and interface not look so bland and ugly. The status page should be a proper bracket instead of a database dump. This probably went a long way toward driving people off as well.
The interface was pretty plain, but don't be so hard on yourself on that point; the next one will hopefully be better.

P.S. We should have an extra match: Youmu (human half) vs. Myon (ghost half). (Just for fun. :))
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #967 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:52 PM »
I hope Youmu half-dies eventually. :P
Good run. I wish I could've voted but for some reason my computer loves to be extra-useless when it comes to serious business.

I second (for the second time hehehe) the Extra Round, Youmu vs Myon.

« Reply #968 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
You're listening to the wrong sort of criticism if you think this was a failure.

Everything might not have been puppies and rainbows, and I'm not saying don't try to improve on the system, but the tournament was fair and all the (unfortunately unironic) drama was due to people being idiots and/or butthurt.  And that was going to occur to a large extent regardless of what happened or how it happened.  I'm not speaking for anyone else, but even in the results that made me lose faith in Myouren-kind I could always pick out at least one reason (besides popularity) - even if it were the outlandish notion held by some that this was the fanon seimoe contest and not the Touhou one - that could justify why an unequivocally lesser moehou prevailed.

And not having a gazillion-jillion votes doesn't somehow invalidate the results from our sample set.  Thinking that this had to represent every hikikomori this side of the Pacific is not only silly but marginalizes the contributions of everyone who did vote.  I think we had a nice little crowd of hooligans and we can be proud of the inanity we raised.  And while some of the banter was admittedly cringe-worthy, most of it was in good humor, and I at least had a lot of fun participating (aside from having to witness the rng-induced matchup of mombrella and moebrella; that was just plain mean).  I was also able to deepen my well of useless knowledge from all the reading up on characters that I did.  And this... is...... a good thing?

Besides, if nothing else, this tourney gave us the Parsee thread, and this tender moment made it all worthwhile.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #969 on: January 24, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
Youmu wins!
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #970 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »
I think the hour wait was a hassle; someone with only a casual interest in the competition wouldn't think it was worth their time to visit the site twice a day. It might be a necessary evil though. Suzuran, you seemed to have enough data to easily identify cheating and know where it was coming from, if somebody was spamming cheat votes en masse with no delay, would it still be feasible to catch and delete them?

Prettying up the site should be a priority, fortunately there are many of us who will be willing to help with that. An imageboard would help, but I imagine that would use about a zillion times more bandwidth than just a bunch of text.

For the sake of salvaging more characters from the wrath of the RNG god, maybe do something like having the first two rounds have four options, and the top two choices in each bracket move on? Satori vs Youmu in round 1 was heartbreaking D:

As a side note I really wish that in instances like where that idiot was bitching about wanting a Nue rematch you could just fucking ban them and delete their posts. It really kills the mood. But on a board with no registration the backlash would probably be even worse, so I guess there's nothing you can do about it. sadfaes.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #971 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »
Speaking of RNG screws, the four people I originally thought would go to the semifinals were Youmu, Kogasa, and both of their round 2 opponents.  Like I mentioned on the site, though, I don't think there's really a better system.  Poor Satorin...
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #972 on: January 24, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Something I think would help would be to have a week of pools for the characters during which characters receive votes without competition, then when the round 1 brackets are made, the characters can be placed in matches according to their pools results. I feel like this would allow the less popular characters to at least get a more accurate representation of votes instead of a complete blowout that caused certain characters to get shafted in favour of 2 characters fighting for first, causing ONLY those two characters to get a disproportionate number of votes. The only problem with this is that it makes every match from the start a tough one, but if people have to start  making tough choices from the beginning. it could also be a good sign.

Also, yeah myonmyon! Congratulations  to Kogasa for getting so far, and to everyone else who was able to make it out of the toughness of the first bracket!
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2012, 05:17:10 AM »
I would like to express my opinion as someone who did not vote at all.

The reason I didn't was because I still don't get what am I supposed to vote for. I get it that is wasn't just a popularity contest, but I still don't understand what "moe" is and how am I supposed to choose a character based on moe level.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #974 on: January 25, 2012, 09:06:28 AM »
but I still don't understand what "moe" is and how am I supposed to choose a character based on moe level.
The answer to all similar and subjective questions (and entire fanon):
[attach=1]

« Reply #975 on: January 25, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
Is dat a Chocolate Tewi?

Spoiler:
do want

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #976 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
The answer to all similar and subjective questions (and entire fanon):
So "moe" is "whatever you want it to be"? How does this contest work then?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #977 on: January 25, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
@ Umi-chan, yes >=3

So "moe" is "whatever you want it to be"? How does this contest work then?
You just answered your own question.

Moe traits are what people wish them to be. For example, if I were to vote on Kogasa I would do it because she is a cheerful girl with her tongue sticking out both on her body and actual form. Just because I am probably finding silly cheerful girls cute. At the same time, someone would disagree and vote for different reasoning or girl. Not to mention my viewpoint on the whole contest would've had more canon-based vote rather than fanon-based vote. Have you noticed how on previous pages people were outputting posts such as: "Girl X isn't moe!" etc etc.

A popularity contest entails the ENTIRE story about a touhou character. Music, behaviour, canon, fanon, looks etc. A moe contest you obviously have to look at a more narrow picture, which makes it more subjective than a popularity pick. Both are subjective, because a vote it self is an opinion. Except people don't get this.

This contest it self has no flaws on its own. It is just what people make of it. Me and Suzuran clashed a few times in small discussions on IRC about my opinion though at the end I don't blame him for anything because he did what he had to do. You could sometimes see people hate-voting against a girl because their waifu got eliminated. Sometimes you'd see unpopular matches (where the votecount was dramatic low).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:16:56 AM by Helepolis »

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #978 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »
You just answered your own question.

Moe traits are what people wish them to be. For example, if I were to vote on Kogasa I would do it because she is a cheerful girl with her tongue sticking out both on her body and actual form. Just because I am probably finding silly cheerful girls cute. At the same time, someone would disagree and vote for different reasoning or girl. Not to mention my viewpoint on the whole contest would've had more canon-based vote rather than fanon-based vote. Have you noticed how on previous pages people were outputting posts such as: "Girl X isn't moe!" etc etc.

A popularity contest entails the ENTIRE story about a touhou character. Music, behaviour, canon, fanon, looks etc. A moe contest you obviously have to look at a more narrow picture, which makes it more subjective than a popularity pick. Both are subjective, because a vote it self is an opinion. Except people don't get this.

This contest it self has no flaws on its own. It is just what people make of it. Me and Suzuran clashed a few times in small discussions on IRC about my opinion though at the end I don't blame him for anything because he did what he had to do. You could sometimes see people hate-voting against a girl because their waifu got eliminated. Sometimes you'd see unpopular matches (where the votecount was dramatic low).
Thanks, I think I get it now. I probably still won't vote, since my opinion on Touhou girls changes constantly after I read a new doujin or see a new picture, so I don't think I'm good enough to decide. Besides, I hate to see someone losing. But good luck with future contests, I'll definitely follow them.

« Reply #979 on: January 26, 2012, 06:43:02 AM »
I don't think there is such thing as not being good enough to decide. Voting for these kinds of contests is just for fun. If you change your
mind later, that is fine, just vote accordingly next time and the next time after that.

« Reply #980 on: January 27, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
Considering that there will be future contests (somewhat regularly?), it hardly makes anything final, or defining; especially when the criteria is so subjective.

Moekou

• Hourai Doll
  • Nyo~
« Reply #981 on: June 09, 2012, 02:24:01 AM »
Just wondering, has there been a bracket featuring the results of this poll posted anywhere?
Never forget these eternal words of wisdom: "Take it easy!"

« Reply #982 on: June 09, 2012, 02:48:49 AM »
The wiki page is a good bet. It appears that http://seimoe.lunar-tokyo.net/ no longer carries the archive.