Author Topic: UFO v0.02a is out  (Read 41707 times)

Re: UFO v0.02a is out
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »
Both Kogasa and Ichirin are suffering from huge problems. Kogasa 1st spellcard sucks and so does the Hard/Lunatic version of her 2nd spellcard. I recall Veronica saying that its fifty-fifty and for a player of her level that shouldn't be something on Stage 2. I have no comment about her final spellcard.

Ichirin is terrible too. Not only did you have to sit through a shitstorm of bullets before actually getting to her but you once you reach her you will have to face her first spellcard. That's almost impossible and the reason are the terrible design of the spell. Its bullshit. I don't know about her 2nd spellcard. I have capped it on Hard mode but the Lunatic version seems a bit unreasonable but i have seen it done before. Her final spellcard isn't that bad though. Its pretty easy compared to Extending Arm in my opinion.

I sure hope soon fixes all this in the full version. This game seems so promising with the great music, the great artwork and a new addition to my favorite Touhou girl roster. I don't really need to tell who ;)

Flay_wind

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 05:41:35 AM »
You guys are talking about hard/lunatic mode?  I find Kogasa retarded on Hard already.

If this goes on unedited, Kogasa can really be considered at the hardest Stage 2 boss in Windows games so far.
Yep the Hard one.
But her train suddenly owned me on easy.  ::)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 06:59:49 AM »
Ichirin is terrible too. Not only did you have to sit through a shitstorm of bullets before actually getting to her but you once you reach her you will have to face her first spellcard. That's almost impossible and the reason are the terrible design of the spell. Its bullshit.

I think the design is beautiful. It demands some pretty fast weaving and focus toggling, but I'd say it's on par with Kanako's last spell card. But yeah, that's just at Stage 3 at that point. What horrors await us after that! I can't wait to see. :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:01:30 AM by Amaterasu-ōmikami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »
We are making it harder than it actually is.

Let's wait and see what the Japanese guys come up with first. :)

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 07:51:02 AM »
You guys are talking about hard/lunatic mode?  I find Kogasa retarded on Hard already.

If this goes on unedited, Kogasa can really be considered at the hardest Stage 2 boss in Windows games so far.
Yep the Hard one.
But her train suddenly owned me on easy.  ::)

If I find some time tomorrow, I'll try seeing more of hard.  I capped the train card a few times on normal, but now all of a sudden, it owns me every time.

Is it different?

That being said, even "Symphony" creates these death blocks that really gets on your nerves when you got to haul ass and get through those curve shots.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:59:31 AM by c l e a r »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Stage 3. [Lunatic]

Ichirin isn't that bad, save for one certain Spell Card.

Kogasa definitely gave me a surprise...

Well, might as well take out SanaeB for this and see how well I can do this. Even if it's the demo, I'm inclined to learn this for the sake of enhancing my experience.

EDIT: ...does SanaeB unfocused at Max Power do more than focused?

...and finishing with an overview.

Stage 1 + Nazrin: Fine.

Stage 2: Fine.
Kogasa: Terrible.

Stage 3 (first half): Fine.
Stage 3 (second half): Overall terrible.
Ichirin: Your average Stage 3 Boss? Nothing really to note, now that I actually took some time to learn.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:04:15 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Heartbeam

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »
I capped the train card a few times on normal, but now all of a sudden, it owns me every time.

Is it different?

From what I'm seeing the Normal difficulty of this spell is no different than the one from the previous version.  Easy still has a larger spread in both versions but looks like it was toned down a little in the newer one.

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
The update does what it says it does: Make the demo 1% better.

Heartbeam

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »
Attempting another scoring run for this game I came across an amazing revelation.  The small UFOs no longer increase the base item value like they did in the old version for 250, but are worth 1000 each when a large UFO has been summoned.  Plus, the graze gained from lasers will now contribute to the base value.

It was so obvious, why didn't I make any attempts sooner?  In fact, someone probably pointed this out earlier.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:13:39 PM by Heartbeam »

Drake

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
Not sure what you mean, although I'm interested.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »
I hope it doesn't mean more graze spam :/

Heartbeam

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »

So the small UFOs which once increased that value in the first version are now worth nothing unless there's a summoned UFO floating around as you collect them.  At least the value was boosted 4x, but unfortunately it appears that there will be less crazy rainbow UFO chaining in the scoring community.

I hope it doesn't mean more graze spam :/

...and more of what's shown in the picture above. 

http://lidera.blog116.fc2.com/blog-category-11.html

The newer playthroughs look very lacking now.  Check the next page for the Easy run in the older version.  Oh, and I was looking for a decent Hard playthrough back then...I should visit there more regularly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:07:50 PM by Heartbeam »

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 10:31:15 PM »
:<

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:17 AM »
I don't know why people keep commenting on this game anymore I've given up hope

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »
okay I'll put this on my list of games I'll never beat above easy, right next to SA
(this is coming from someone who has beaten every extra stage in TH6-10, plus phantasm)
I can't even beat Ichirin without continues :(

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »
okay I'll put this on my list of games I'll never beat above easy, right next to SA
(this is coming from someone who has beaten every extra stage in TH6-10, plus phantasm)
I can't even beat Ichirin without continues :(
not surprising, it's hard

I've also beaten all the extra stages. in all honesty they aren't that bad. lunatic runs are much worse

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 01:17:16 AM »
:unzansmirk:

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 01:32:18 AM »
i admit the game was frustrating, but honestly, it's pretty easy now that i've played through it 5 billion times.

just like every other Touhou game, practice makes perfect.

Drake

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 01:38:08 AM »
Yeah really. So what if ZUN makes the games harder every time? Just like SA, as soon as it comes out everyone's going to play it a bajillion times, go "yay this is awesome", then go "yay this sucks and is not awesome", "oh ok i'm supposed to do it this way this is kind of easier now", "why is sanae in extra stage again", "wait a second i'm playing as sanae", "holy shit ufo loli everybody guys spoilers", and we'll all be done with it and go about our lives as usual.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
...I just got Kogasa's first Spell Card using ReimuA. [err... not midboss]

Like wtf. Replay once I die horribly.

EDIT: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4104

EDIT 2:

Soo... yeah. I reckon it's easier with non-spread types, simply because I can decide which orbs to blow up.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:04:53 AM by BaitySM »
<>

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 03:13:57 AM »
Soo... yeah. I reckon it's easier with non-spread types, simply because I can decide which orbs to blow up.
Not quite sure. The reason I find that card annoying is because of the parasols themselves, not the big bullets that they leave after being blown up. This is why I like SanaeB against that card.

I'm not quite sure what to make out of it though. At times, it looks like those parasols are aimed, and at other times, they seem to be making random parabolic movement. Either way, nice job. I should give ReimuA a shot sometime in the future... that is, when I actually manage to double click the UFO shortcut.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2009, 03:37:51 AM »
Maybe it's the combination of both the parasols and the big bullets. =3

But anyways, which shot types are the best for the stages(killing the MASS FAIRIES and large UFOs)?

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2009, 03:44:16 AM »
So needed a smaller number of UFO items to contribute to a full UFO for blowing up, and those damn UFOs need shorter HPs.
I have trouble catching them sometimes because of 100000000000 bullets on the screen.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2009, 06:12:03 AM »
But anyways, which shot types are the best for the stages(killing the MASS FAIRIES and large UFOs)?
SanaeB is best overall (splash, spread). If you can get over the ridiculous focus movement speed.

MarisaA has penetration. MarisaB has (some) spread. The rest are not worth noting for the requested purposes. Although, if you can (somehow) manipulate SanaeA's shots, I guess that would count as well.
<>

Drake

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2009, 06:14:42 AM »
I use SanaeA, but I find that it gets annoying when the snake shots home in on the exact opposite thing that I wanted it to.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »
i like Reimu A the best, i dunno why though.

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2009, 09:06:33 AM »

Awesome damage + Reimu's hitbox. You really can't go wrong with it, especially since needle Reimu has been a consistently great choice ever since EoSD. It's nice that other shottypes in UFO are useful alternatives though, unlike SA and MoF (perhaps IN too).

Uu~

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2009, 11:51:06 PM »

Awesome damage + Reimu's hitbox. You really can't go wrong with it, especially since needle Reimu has been a consistently great choice ever since EoSD. It's nice that other shottypes in UFO are useful alternatives though, unlike SA and MoF (perhaps IN too).

Uu~

really? it seems like i do more damage with Sanae A, but i can never clear the demo with her. :(

so has anyone tried to clear with Marisa B? i've gotten to stage 2 then quit because her shot was awful.

oh! i just got an idea for a extra stage boss:
one of Koishi's pets. her sister has some, why shouldn't she?

i have no idea how that would tie into the story.. but ZUN could make it work, i'm sure of it.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Border Team in IN is made of low damage, and I think the -1 pixel hitbox is overrated :P

@Slaves:  For some reason Mefidex's UFO Data never made it over here, but from what I recall:

Shot Power
MarisA - piercing
ReimuA
SanAe - horiz homing
MarisaB
SanaeB - splash
ReimuB - omni homing

Bomb Power
SanaeB - area damage
ReimuA - vert damage
MarisA - wide spread damage
MarisaB - total damage
SanAe - total damage
ReimuB - homing damage

I think that's right; I forgot where MarisaB went other than that it's pretty terrible and only serves to get people to say OMG MIMA.  I think the MarisaB and the two Sanae shots were fairly close to each other, because if I made a mistake it would probably be there...

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »
oh! i just got an idea for a extra stage boss:
one of Koishi's pets. her sister has some, why shouldn't she?

i have no idea how that would tie into the story.. but ZUN could make it work, i'm sure of it.
Simple. Koishi went to the Moriya shrine so Kanako would give one of her pets as much power as Utsuho.
The UFO final boss does give her that power.
There you go~