Author Topic: Touhou Game for Android  (Read 9486 times)

Touhou Game for Android
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »
I'm currently working on a Touhou style danmaku for Android. It would be cool to find some experienced Java/Android developers interested in building out the game since I'm not the greatest programmer. However I'm an excellent graphics artist and know my way around music and effects aswell. I've got a design document halfway ready.
The concept is the following: You start as either Reimu or Marisa with their standard weapons, when killing enemies and bosses you gain credits, with these you can buy/unlock more characters and their weapons, you can then equip weapons from other characters. Theres also a shield option to keep you from dying (for a bit ;)

If anyone thinks he or she could contribute to this the source (so far) is on github: https://github.com/silconsystem/Gensokyo_LibGdx.git

The game is based on the Libgdx platform so its also available as a desktop and HTML5 version.

Cheers,

Rob

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Re: Touhou Game for Android
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »
I'm currently working on a Touhou style danmaku for Android. It would be cool to find some experienced Java/Android developers interested in building out the game since I'm not the greatest programmer. However I'm an excellent graphics artist and know my way around music and effects aswell. I've got a design document halfway ready.
The concept is the following: You start as either Reimu or Marisa with their standard weapons, when killing enemies and bosses you gain credits, with these you can buy/unlock more characters and their weapons, you can then equip weapons from other characters. Theres also a shield option to keep you from dying (for a bit ;)
If anyone thinks he or she could contribute to this the source (so far) is on github: https://github.com/silconsystem/Gensokyo_LibGdx.git
The game is based on the Libgdx platform so its also available as a desktop and HTML5 version.
Cheers,
Rob

Remember that it can't be sold. You'll have to make it free because ZUN doesn't allow Touhou Danmaku shooters to be commercially sold without his permission.

Edit: If it's not on the Android market, it's fine. Go for it!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:02:23 PM by Sparen »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:38:09 AM »
Neat, a non-danmakufu/RPGMaker project! :P

The weapons and shield mechanics sound like the gameplay would differ somewhat from the usual Touhou games, which is pretty cool. Sounds like there'll be some RPG-ish mechanics too (if anything, credits and unlockables) - always a fun thing so bonus points for that. Given the genre though, you may want to consider limiting yourself in terms of unlockables. It's better to have 2-3 well-built characters than 20 who are largely the same and need to resort to gimmicks to stand out. Same goes for weapons - you don't want to end up with Marine-Benefit-Sanae-style shot types now, do you? ;)
(Come on, they were totally weird and you all know it.)

What motivated the decision to release this on a mobile device? And how do you plan to tackle the controls? The few mobile shmups I've seen made it hard to track your ship because your finger's in the way - I can only imagine how that sort of control scheme would make a danmaku shooter next to impossible when trying to squeeze through a shower of tightly-packed danmaku. Not to mention the display size makes it that much harder to follow. Cannibalizing some screen real-estate to draw and manage actual tappable controls fixes the finger-in-the-way problem but makes the tiny-display-omg-so-many-bullets problem worse... Given that you have a good portion of your design document done, have you worked out an approach to these issues yet?

This sounds like an interesting project. I'm keeping an eye on this one for sure. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
Hye there,

I have found a collaborator who actually posted the identical question so hopefully that works out,
I know there no money to be made on this and thats also not my goal. I made already a html/javascript shooter (marisa-danmaku.comule.com) but since thats really limiting in term of resources (and android is not?;).
I dont want to make a lot of characters as of now its 5 but combining the weapon types seemed like a fun idea, its probably gonna be tyrian with touhou characters.
As for controls, yes this really sucks on android but libgdx has the possiblity to use the gyro as a controller, I used to have these two games that have caused a serious addiction: rolling a ball thru a maze on the iPod nano (no Idea what was the name) and sony psp Mercury Madness. you can control the balls really precise using these controls and it might just be the awnser to playing these type of game on a mobile device.
Anyhow it all ports to html5 and desktop very easy so the keyboard can also be used if the android version is unplayable.
I am just obsessed with creating a cool danmaku game myself and danmakufu doesnt work under linux (yet). Besides I would like to make something that doesnt require additional programs.

The thing that bites me the most is that its probably impossible to put some decent music under it on mobile devices, it would be cool to use some remixes by fans since theres some great ones out there...

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
As regards to an effective implementation of some of the ideas here, have you played Crimson Clover (for unlocks involving currency gained in level  that was scaled correctly, unlike 99% of free games).
Music isn't that hard to find, there's pleanty about under CC licenses.
Touhou fan music would be a no go unless you recorded it yourself.