Author Topic: THFont(rev10) experimentation thread  (Read 17427 times)

THFont(rev10) experimentation thread
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:50 AM »
Follow up from http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,8793.msg773168.html#msg773168 .

In short, THFont is not something you use with FL Studio's soundfont player, it's something you use with twsynth, a program that changes your MIDI output.

I've uploaded the resources you need to get started, but you can ask in this thread if you need clarification. My explaining skills aren't too great.

--UPLOADS--
ZUNPackage, containing configuration files, confirmed working version of twsynth, Vista MIDI mapper, and setup instructions. Does not include THFont.

THFont rev. 10 on AXFC uploader. If your connections to AXFC are slow for whatever reason, mirror here.

--Notes and Changes--
I mention in the readme that timw32g doesn't do anything, but that's not true. It's what you use to convert your raw MIDI data to a .wav or other format.

Nico video showcasing individual instruments (SD90 used): http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7011655
You can find other videos on the subject with the tags SD-90 and 東方midi . 耳コピ tag indicates a replica of a Touhou song.

Let's start the experimentation by figuring out exactly how to achieve the Reed Romance sound using this. Using the patch like any other instrument just results in a violin-like sound.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: THFont(rev10) experimentation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:45 AM »
I see what you're trying to do here. I was going to load THFont using SFZ+ (in Sonar) or EXS24 (in Logic) for actual use, but it seems you're leaning more towards replacing the MIDI synth instead. In that case I'll say that I've had no luck doing so in 64-bit Win7 with DirectSound applications (such as Touhou, AoE series); other apps that have their own MIDI instrument change methods (eg. DNH, ZDoom) work fine, though. MIDI work is generally not as easy on 64-bit Windows.

I'll see to the Reed Romance emulation somewhat when I have the time.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:32 AM »
This sounds nothing like a SD-90.

Spaztique

• Writer, Animator, Easy Mode Advocate
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:58:58 AM »

One reason, I learned, why the Touhou Font never matches the SD-90 is because many of the in-game versions are heavily processed: sound is hyper-compressed, and EoSD and PCB use a flange effect for stereo widening. I mainly use Touhou Font for reference.

I will also back up what people are saying about reed romance: it's a mix of saxaphone instruments.

It's a bit late to test the new font, but from the samples I've heard, I should have a blast with it.
Making Touhou music and actually-pretty-decent Walfas animations since 2011!

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »
Precisely, and it shouldn't be put up on or near that level. But for an emulation in a common format, it works well enough for most listeners and users.

Now, for working in ZUN-style, I think it's a fine enough start for learning and messing around, but as skill improves the use of hardware synths (SD-80/90 preferred) is essential.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »
One reason, I learned, why the Touhou Font never matches the SD-90 is because many of the in-game versions are heavily processed: sound is hyper-compressed, and EoSD and PCB use a flange effect for stereo widening. I mainly use Touhou Font for reference.

Dude I have a SD-90, neither of these soundfonts sound anything like it on the DEFAULT settings. It has absolutely nothing to do with effects. Hell, many of the samples don't even come from a Roland synth, let alone from the SD-90.
Here. Listen to these renders and compare them to thfont and you'll see how different they sound. It's like comparing a SC-8850 to a MU80.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:18:17 PM by Romantique Tp »

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »
So I'm guessing it's bad I like the THFont pianos?