Author Topic: DAMN YOU CURVY LASERS!  (Read 9159 times)

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
DAMN YOU CURVY LASERS!
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:17:34 AM »
How do i clear curvy lasers!? They kill me ALL the time! CURSE YOU LUNATIC MODE!
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
Re: DAMN YOU CURVY LASERS!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 04:46:51 AM »
How do i clear curvy lasers!? They kill me ALL the time! CURSE YOU LUNATIC MODE!

They're hard to avoid if it's your 1st time, even after some practice, it takes some time getting used to where it flows. But in the end, it's all about practice, practice, practice.

Zil

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 05:28:28 AM »
It depends which curvy lasers you mean. If it's Seiga's variety, I try to keep in mind that if a laser seems to be aimed at me, it will almost certainly miss, and when it's neccesary to dodge, I move to the side the laser is curving away from. Really though, you just have to practice the hell out of the things. Try timing out Seiga's overdrive, or any of her spells that involve them, and experiment with different methods of dodging.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
It's actually Byakuren and Shou. Seiga's is hard but I can pull through. Damnit Shou! All her nonspells contain lasers! BYAKUREN Has a WHOLE card with curvy lasers!

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
Help thread here.

Byakuren's is unfortunately random.
Shou... Supposedly there's a pattern to it. Sometimes I feel that the lasers are about to move into the player but turn away at the last second (first nonspell), but then I accidentally move right into it. Sometimes it's only a way to restrict your movement. Like the second nonspell.

And sometimes... it's just dodging.

Also, if Lunatic mode is too hard for you, it's probably best to get used to playing it. Though it'd be easier to go back to Hard mode, you'd probably lose all of the skills you have already while playing Lunatic.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
I think I'll keep practicing.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:06:07 PM »
It's actually Byakuren and Shou. Seiga's is hard but I can pull through. Damnit Shou! All her nonspells contain lasers! BYAKUREN Has a WHOLE card with curvy lasers!
But what if it's about Merlin's laz0rs? her non-spells are as hard as Ran

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
I wish I could say that. I used to be able to to 1DNB Ran pretty consistently when I used to play these. While Merlin's opener would take 3-4 bombs/deaths before the damn attack would go away(SakuyaB)

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
They are just mere illusion lasers. They past your hitbox and ZUN made it there just for the lolz. ( That, or mah game is glitched)

Zil

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »
Ok then. Byakuren's lasers are the same as Seiga's, so she's still a great way to practice those. (Also, I recommend doing Byakuren's spell with almost all vertical movement.)
Shou's lasers aren't really curvy lasers. They just wiggle around then move perfectly straight. The difficulty is that they are diagonal and extremely fast. Trying to read them before they fire is hopeless, so you need the reflexes of a tiger. As far as a pattern goes, I've never heard of such a thing, though you can cheat on her third nonspell by going in circles around her.

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 12:08:44 AM »
So I see. I'll try that.  :P Thanks for the advice.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 07:24:10 PM »
(Also, I recommend doing Byakuren's spell with almost all vertical movement.)
Why?

I've become quite good at that card (admittedly on hard, not lunatic, but they're fundamentally the same) using almost entirely horizontal movement, so I'm curious why you prefer vertical.  Are you favoring a quicker kill over more forgiving movement?
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
A quicker kill is certainly part of it, but I also find going all vertical to just be easier. You can basically ignore the aimed stars as long as you keep working your way in the same in direction, and the fact that the the motion of the lasers is mainly horizontal makes me want to dodge vertically. (My general rule in all situations is to use movement perpendicular the direction of the bullets.) I used to try going horizontally, but I got overwhelmed by trying to read the curvature of the lasers, and then there's the fact that being closer to the edge means you have less time to react to lasers from that side, and the lasers you have to worry about from the far side are actually the ones far above and bellow you due to the curvature, and like I said, I find that hard to read. When you move vertically you just have to worry about where each laser will be in that one vertical line. If you're good with horizontal though I guess it's just a matter of preference then. I know T used horizontal movement in the scoring challenge, and he certainly knows what he's doing, so I guess it's a viable method, though maybe he was just trying to graze or something, I'm not sure.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »
Yeah, I'd seen how T did it, and I'd also coincidentally read pointers from .ASP on stage six, and since both did/suggested doing that card the same way I'd been going about it, I suppose I assumed that's just How It's Supposed To Be Done.  But I didn't want to type any of that in my question-post since I thought it was tangential (and snooty-sounding), as I was curious about how another way would be advantageous, not how best to shoot it down.

Going by what you've written, I think your way will be tougher for me.  I hear you on the reading, but I haven't had a problem with that since I started keeping my eyes 'unfocused' during the card (not literally unfocused, but I can't concisely describe it) and learning to accurately predict where lasers from the far side will reappear.  I have a hell of a time not banging into things, however, so making my precision movements more parallel to the lasers reduced my crunch deaths.  And since I have such a penchant for dying, I figured going across the screen would make it easier to ignore the stars, focusing on the naners, even at low power.  [I suppose I agree with going perpendicular to bullets, but while you've been doing that with the lasers, I've been doing it with the stars.]

But now that I'm back home, I'll dick around with it a few times, trying it vertical.  I need practice with Byakuren anyway, and new positions are always interesting.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Drake

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
I need practice with Byakuren anyway, and new positions are always interesting.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
Usually, what kills me the most is actually the normal bullets....when avoiding the curved lasers >_>

Zodiac

• (?・ω・`)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
for Shou's 3rd non spell . You can only spin around her.
for Shou's 2nd non spell  . . . .
Spoiler:
Just bomb it
Spoiler:

Yukari-Chan

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »
I love the the second one! Thank you.