Author Topic: Ozzy's Kingdom of Mushrooms Demo is Released!!  (Read 21245 times)

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
Re: Ozzy's Beginner Scripts **New** Halloween Special
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Oh god

doopliss

YES YES YES

*Trickysticks goes to play it

I loved that game ^_^.

Review below here!

1st Nonspell: Well that's fast. Died once, and then got the pattern down. Though not that bad, nonspell life is a bit high. It's just me, but maybe the pattern should repeat ~4 times before the nonspell ends? I used ReimuA by the way, results will vary.
1st Spell: Doopliss is being slick with some sticky bullets. Nice, nice. Just the right difficulty.
2nd Nonspell: Results in me trying to rush up to dodge bubbles, and running into a yellow bullet. Maybe I'm just bad at it, though.
2nd Spell: Purple lasers + purple bullets = :<. I like it a bit, though you might want to change the color of something.
3rd Nonspell: Seems a bit easier than the rest. Then again, I'm getting at relatively plain patterns than other things.
3rd Spell: Mario's Final Smash. I like it, though the red round bullets are what kills me. Might want to synch up the sound effect to when the laser dissapears, but that's me being picky.
4th Nonspell: My screen flashes for some reason. Anyway, Crystal Star Familiars, woo! Seems easy, though.
4th Spell: Seems more like a combination of Art Attack and Supernova. Pretty good. I got stuck in the corner and died, poor me  :derp:.

Verdict: Pretty good, seems like danmaku Doopliss would use.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:48:10 PM by Trickysticks »
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
Re: Ozzy's Beginner Scripts **New** Halloween Special
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
Alight, it's been a while, but I've finally got the entire battle complete. The link to the full version will be in the first post. Thanks for your timely feedback Tricky as always, I'm sorry I haven't done the same for yours yet, but I haven't forgotten. Anyway as today is Halloween, I'm cutting it a bit close as I would have liked a youtube video of it up today. Oh well, whatever happens happens. I took most of your comments under consideration and revamped a couple of spells a bit. The last one hasn't been tested very well because I just made it today, so it may be a too hard, just a warning. Other than that, enjoy.

Oh, and Happy Halloween to all!!

ExPorygon

Re: Ozzy's Intermediate Scripts **New** Halloween Special (Completed)
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 02:36:29 AM »
Alright this is totally not an excuse to bump my thread.

Alright, the video for the Doopliss Battle has been uploaded. You can find it here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:00:36 AM by Ozzy »

ExPorygon

Re: Ozzy's Intermediate Scripts **New** Kingdom of Mushrooms (Stage 1)
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »
Well it's about time for another new project. Therefore, I present to you Touhou Danmakufu: The Kingdom of Mushrooms!

It's going to be a full game with 6 stages plus extra and probably phantasm. Will hopefully have a menu as well, but that won't come until later. No clue when it will be finished but I've got stage 1 finished up for the most part.

Stage 1

Just a disclaimer, this project, despite being a full game, will not have as much polish as other full games for various reasons, the main one being that I don't know how to do a lot of fancy stuff with menus and other stuff. Expect the rest of the stages to look like this one.

Edit: Here's a link to the video for stage 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHCnpuvX1YM&lc

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:18:31 AM by Ozzy »

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
Re: Ozzy's Intermediate Scripts **New** Kingdom of Mushrooms (Stage 1)
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
Guh... I'll try this when I come home from school later.

ExPorygon

Re: Ozzy's Intermediate Scripts **Updated** Kingdom of Mushrooms (Stage 2)
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »
Well it sure has been a while. Anyway, Stage 2 of Kingdom of Mushrooms has (finally) been finalized. Link here for those who care.

The new stage introduces the 1up mushroom system of gaining extra lives. At at a certain point (or points) during a stage, a series of bricks and ? blocks appear. Destroying the ? blocks has a chance of releasing a 1up mushroom (the blocks and bricks have also been added to Stage 1). After acquiring a particular number of 1up mushrooms, the player will gain an extra life. This is in addition to extends by point items and 1up items given at specific points in the game. Note however, that ? blocks that appear in later stages also have a chance to release a poison mushroom that will remove 1 from the 1up mushroom counter if acquired. So be extra careful, especially when using the POC, as all mushrooms are drawn in by it (Poison mushrooms do not appear in Stage 2, however).

In addition, I finally feel ready to release these player scripts that I worked on a while back. Naturally, since KoM is a Mario/Touhou crossover, I made Mario and Luigi players. Note that these players are NOT meant to be used alongside KoM, since the dialogue wouldn't make any sense. They are completely separate projects. If there's anything I'm looking for feedback on, it's those players, since I'm relatively new to player scripts and am not sure if these have been balanced correctly, are fun to use, etc.

Mario is a pretty normal shot type. Focused attack is a straight shot and the unfocused shot is a spread. Mario focuses on high attack power and speed. Bombs are Smash Sign "Mario Finale" and FLUDD Sign "Aqua Cyclone" which are pretty self explanatory.

Luigi is, well, pretty weird in comparison to his brother. The deathbomb window is slightly greater and Luigi's hitbox is slightly smaller. The unfocused and focused shots are the same. Some of Luigi's shots home in on enemies, and those shots can be manipulated in a similar way to ReimuC's shots from Subterranean Animism, if that makes any sense. It's kind of hard to describe his shooting, so just go take a look for yourself. Bombs are Smash Sign "Negative Zone" and Wind Sign "Poltergust 3000." The former, creates a supernatural border and a green "negative zone" around Luigi. The negative zone deals very minor damage but slowly increases in size. After a certain amount of time, the negative zone suddenly increases in size to encompass the entire playing field, dealing damage to everything on screen and amount proportional to the number of bullets that were inside the negative zone when it has it's large increase. However, if Luigi is hit before the negative zone's "activation" then the supernatural border is broken and the bomb is cancelled, so be careful. The second bomb is pretty self explanatory.

Whew, that felt like quite a long update. I'll get around to updating the main post with all this information soon.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have a video up for Stage 2 here

The dialogue is different in the video because I decided to change it after a chat on IRC.

Also as you may have noticed, the entirety of the artwork for this game is not my own. I have mentioned before that I can't draw for my life, so I'm asking if there is anyone out there who would be willing to contribute, particularly stage backgrounds. 3D backgrounds would be awesome, but I don't have the knowledge nor the resources to do so. So if anyone would be willing to help please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:00:09 AM by Ozzy »

ExPorygon

Re: Ozzy's Intermediate Scripts **Updated** Kingdom of Mushrooms (Stage 2)
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 04:41:58 AM »
Well it certainly took long enough, but here it is:

Touhou: Kingdom of Mushrooms Demo

Everything you need to know to play should be explained in the HOWTOPLAY file contained inside. The demo contains the first 3 stages as well as 2 of the playable characters. Every other feature (except extra and phantasm) should be available, including stage and spell practice. Replays, for the time being at least, will include all parts of the play time from the start of the game to when you quit, including the menus. If anyone knows of a way to remove the menu parts from a replay, please don't hesitate to let me know.

One additional note, the game will fail to run if the files, unlock_youmu.dat and unlock_sakuya.dat, are removed, so don't bother with them.

Finally, I hope you all enjoy the demo. I urge those who play to please tell me what you think so that I can hopefully improve it for when the full game is eventually finished. Thanks in advance, and have fun!

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: Ozzy's Kingdom of Mushrooms Demo is Released!!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:47 AM »
[4:30:21 PM] I have no name: Go, perfect Stage 3 Youmu run
[4:30:57 PM] DarkDespair5: XD
[4:51:45 PM] I have no name: k...haven't gotten past the block part yet

[7:14:15 PM] I have no name: I captured all 4 of Yoshi's spells in a row in Spell Practice
[7:14:36 PM] Ozzy: see, not so hard
[7:14:51 PM] I have no name: the blocks part of the stage is
[7:15:10 PM] Ozzy: what's hard about it? i made it hard to get all the mushrooms, yes
[7:15:14 PM] Ozzy: but not to survive
[7:15:30 PM] I have no name: Then I must have been REALLY unlucky with knife spawns

[7:15:08 PM] I have no name: and General Guy's second attack is memorize, get lucky, or die/bomb
[7:15:30 PM] Ozzy: strongly disagree, it's not THAT bad
[7:23:58 PM] Ozzy: have you tried focusing on the shyguys rather than the general
[7:24:00 PM] I have no name: I found a consistent quick kill for it
[7:24:13 PM] I have no name: and yes, my strategy for it involves killing 1 column.
[7:24:43 PM] Ozzy: that's a STACK. general guy's most dangerous military unit is the shy stack
[7:24:54 PM] I have no name: Well how was I supposed to know that
[7:25:05 PM] Ozzy: u need to play paper mario

Selected Skype quotes :V

Didn't 1cc but that was because I didn't bomb at all.  Stage 2 midboss nonspell can have a bullet spawn on you out of nowhere, don't have the replay because of continuing.
Peach's nonspells...feel different.  Were they changed?  With Youmu's focused speed if you're out of position on the first nonspell you need to move unfocused precisely (YES I KNOW THE IRONY OF ME SAYING THIS)
Yoshi's first nonspell lasts 3 and a half waves minimum, is it supposed to?
Yoshi's Story is pretty chaotic, I like it though because it's short.  I might attempt a timeout at some point.

ExPorygon

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »
Didn't 1cc but that was because I didn't bomb at all.  Stage 2 midboss nonspell can have a bullet spawn on you out of nowhere, don't have the replay because of continuing.
I think you just weren't paying close attention, the bullets are spawning in the path that the large bullet takes, and there is a delay cloud to let you know where it's appearing. Nevertheless, I'll look into it, but I'm not sure how to make it any better.

Peach's nonspells...feel different.  Were they changed?
The 1st one hasn't been touched since the first time I released stage 2. I changed the 2nd one to make it not ridiculously easy.

With Youmu's focused speed if you're out of position on the first nonspell you need to move unfocused precisely (YES I KNOW THE IRONY OF ME SAYING THIS)
Don't know about that, I don't recall ever having trouble with that 1st attack. Could you get a replay?

Yoshi's first nonspell lasts 3 and a half waves minimum, is it supposed to?
Yeah it's supposed to, I've been back and forth on whether I should shorten it.

Yoshi's Story is pretty chaotic, I like it though because it's short.  I might attempt a timeout at some point.
Yoshis' Story came out really nicely, IMO. I'm afraid that it might be too hard for stage 3 normal as it is now though. But like you said, it's relatively short so perhaps it's fine.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
In spell practice Youmu still gains a bomb when dying. (Found while timing out Yoshis's story).

Also check Skype for a replay you might be able to use for the video (I fast forwarded the first dialogue which is why maybe not, but it's a perfect run)

The glowing bullets used by Yoshi are very hard to see, and it's not clear where the boundary of them is.
SEE IT'S NOT JUST ME

Zil

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 12:40:46 AM »
I tried it out. I think the catfish is a pretty big difficulty jump, and it's very hard to tell if a bullet will spawn on you. The General Guy's first phase seemed to last a very long time (I was Sakuya). The glowing bullets used by Yoshi are very hard to see, and it's not clear where the boundary of them is.

Otherwise pretty nice and interesting. Are you going to add higher difficulties?

ExPorygon

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
I think the catfish is a pretty big difficulty jump, and it's very hard to tell if a bullet will spawn on you.
Are you referring to the entire midboss fight or just the 1st attack? I've gotten complaints about bullets spawning on the player in the 1st attack before. Perhaps increasing the delay on the bullet spawns would help. I'll try something out and probably tone down the catfish a bit.

The General Guy's first phase seemed to last a very long time (I was Sakuya).
Yeah, I was afraid that might still be an issue, I'll need to lower the shy guys' life some more.

The glowing bullets used by Yoshi are very hard to see, and it's not clear where the boundary of them is.
I've been working to reduce the glow and the hitbox of those bullets since then. You're probably the 3rd person who didn't like them. :V
Hopefully, the new bullets will be less cheap.

Otherwise pretty nice and interesting. Are you going to add higher difficulties?
Yes, I definitely will. I realize that a large number of players of Danmakufu scripts are probably at the hard and lunatic level so I definitely won't disappoint. Though I haven't planned to make an easy mode, I'll definitely add hard and lunatic probably after most of the patterns and main stages are finished. No idea how long that will take though. Please wait warmly! :D

And I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully I can make the rest of the game just as nice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:11:41 AM by Ozzy »

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
Love it! But one question, is it something special which determines the color of the koopa in one of yoshi's spells? Or is it random? (Like red koopa = fire breath)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »
Love it! But one question, is it something special which determines the color of the koopa in one of yoshi's spells? Or is it random? (Like red koopa = fire breath)
Shot type.
Youmu gets the red one, Sakuya gets the green one.

Zil

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »
Are you referring to the entire midboss fight or just the 1st attack? I've gotten complaints about bullets spawning on the player in the 1st attack before. Perhaps increasing the delay on the bullet spawns would help. I'll try something out and probably tone down the catfish a bit.
Kinda late here, sorry. I admit, I ended up bombing the catfish's second attack everytime, but there's probably a general strategy that I hadn't figured out. Mainly what I meant was the first spell. I think increasing the delay of the bullet spawning will actually make it harder. What happens is that the initial bullets all fly past, and since the others take so long to spawn you can't tell what paths the first wave followed. If they spawned immediately you'd know right where they'd be: just behind the initial bullets.

ExPorygon

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2012, 11:59:19 PM »
Kinda late here, sorry. I admit, I ended up bombing the catfish's second attack everytime, but there's probably a general strategy that I hadn't figured out. Mainly what I meant was the first spell. I think increasing the delay of the bullet spawning will actually make it harder. What happens is that the initial bullets all fly past, and since the others take so long to spawn you can't tell what paths the first wave followed. If they spawned immediately you'd know right where they'd be: just behind the initial bullets.

Now that I think about it, you're completely right about the 1st attack. Reducing delay should greatly improve it, I'll probably do that. As for the 2nd attack, I'll probably end up toning it down on normal. What you have now might just end up being the hard version or higher.

ExPorygon

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 03:43:10 AM »
Update!!

Kingdom of Mushrooms v0.4 is released HERE

Changes:
*Added 2 player characters and corresponding Yoshi spellcards.
*Added super mushrooms as a collectible item.
*Altered some attack patterns, most prominently the Catfish's 1st attack.
*Collisions with Bricks and ? Blocks will no longer kill the player.
*Fixed an issue with Youmu's bomb on Stage 2.
*Altered the hitbox and graphic of the glowing bullets like the one's yoshi uses in his first card.
*Rebalanced the existing player characters. Youmu now has 2 bombs to start while Sakuya starts with 4. The others both start with 3. Additional minor changes were made to shot power.
*Altered Sakuya's bomb so as to reduce potential lag.

Be sure to read the manual file for additional change information. Work has begun on stage 4, so please wait warmly for that.

Daemoniken

• Nitori...just 'cuz.
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:01 AM »
*Downloads newest Kingdom of Mushrooms demo, and sometime later* Argh, Peach! Just as evil as in Mario Party. I WILL defeat you someday, you dumb broad!

In all seriousness, I'm really bad at danmaku games at this point (I need to remember to use bombs), but I'm loving everything here so far! I kinda wonder if you plan to have each player character say something different at each boss, but then again, none of the lines seem out of place for any of the four to say.

ExPorygon

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »
*Downloads newest Kingdom of Mushrooms demo, and sometime later* Argh, Peach! Just as evil as in Mario Party. I WILL defeat you someday, you dumb broad!

In all seriousness, I'm really bad at danmaku games at this point (I need to remember to use bombs), but I'm loving everything here so far! I kinda wonder if you plan to have each player character say something different at each boss, but then again, none of the lines seem out of place for any of the four to say.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that, actually. I haven't ruled out the possibility of making different scripts (or at least slightly different) but like you said, I can picture any one of them saying the current lines.

Glad you're having fun! I'm going to add in more difficulties, including an easy mode if there's a demand for it. Honestly, I've probably made my normal mode more difficult than other normal modes as an unintended side effect of the fact that the normal mode for most of the games has become too easy for me.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »
hrrrrgh i can't danmakufu

video plz

ExPorygon

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »
hrrrrgh i can't danmakufu

video plz

Should have mentioned this before, but there is a video of stage 3 in version 0.3 up on my channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjm2KDWH10M

Just curious though, why can't you danmakufu?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 12:20:47 AM »
> dad why can't we install the japanese language packs
> dad where is the windows xp cd
> dad how else do you expect me to run this
> no dad applocale isn't going to break anything

Anyway, that looks a little difficult for a Stage 3 ._.
Do consider turning down the brightness of the backgrounds, though, it's a little bright :I

Zil

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:54 AM »
Marisa's lasers seem overpowered. The General Guy's minions all died at once, and Yoshi's Story only lasted a few seconds. I'm not sure if that was because each Yoshi was taking laser damage or something else. Peach's parasol shield thing became pretty funky as well. Also it's hard to see through the lasers themselves. I feel like I already said this but apparantly I didn't. If it turns out I double posted or something... ignore one of them. :V

ExPorygon

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
> dad why can't we install the japanese language packs
> dad where is the windows xp cd
> dad how else do you expect me to run this
> no dad applocale isn't going to break anything
Aww, that's a shame.  :(

Anyway, that looks a little difficult for a Stage 3 ._.
It probably is, I have a habit of making them harder than they should be. The update, however, has nerfed a bit of stage 3.

Do consider turning down the brightness of the backgrounds, though, it's a little bright :I
Noted. I'm thinking about replacing the backgrounds for stage 2 and 3 with 3D backgrounds anyway. Or is it a spell background that's too bright? Because I tried to keep those at a reasonable brightness level.

Marisa's lasers seem overpowered. The General Guy's minions all died at once, and Yoshi's Story only lasted a few seconds. I'm not sure if that was because each Yoshi was taking laser damage or something else.
You are correct, Marisa's piercing is what makes those attacks go down extremely fast, but that's pretty much it. Other than make the lasers weaker (which I would prefer not to do but will probably end up doing it anyway), I don't really know how I can fix that. I might be ok with Marisa having a big advantage on some cards because she's not very effective at stage portions in comparison to the others. We'll see though, I'll probably end up repeatedly balancing and rebalancing the characters until the entire game is done.

Peach's parasol shield thing became pretty funky as well.
That was intended. The parasol reflects more bullets when it takes more damage. In addition, it's much harder to avoid hitting the parasol due to the lasers' piercing, making that card more difficult for Marisa. This is one of the reasons why I suspect that Marisa's piercing is fine as is: It helps and hurts her in different situations. However, let me know if that card gets too overwhelming with Marisa.

Also it's hard to see through the lasers themselves.
That I will definitely fix. A simple matter of lowering the lasers' opacity.