Author Topic: ZUN should have a donation box.  (Read 53317 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: ZUN should have a donation box.
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:13 AM »
Touhou games and soundtracks are actually closer to $15 and considering how many copies of each game he sells and the fact that he's the only one who makes the games, I imagine he's amassed a small fortune at least. I don't think he has to worry about the foreign market yet. I'm more than certain he's aware that there is demand, but he probably won't try to sell his game outside of Japan until he feels he can dedicate the time/effort to do so.

Obama

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 02:03:15 AM »
zun can blow me

ps 住む

Drake

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 02:20:10 AM »
Your Japanese is terribly incorrect, please stop trying to use it. Unless you are a huge M and love the shame.
Even though you're probably right seeing as I'm not the greatest in this aspect, I like to try regardless. It's an exercise. I'm not looking for fame or shame, just practice and communication. Please correct me if possible (unless there are too many mistakes to count) and I would be grateful. In fact, I would rather you correct me than just tell me I suck, as that way I can learn.

However, unless you write another letter, and I'm sure you can as you actually come from Japan, it's going to stay at the same level of terrible.

So answer, teru.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 02:22:49 AM »
Step 1. http://guidetojapanese.org

Step 2. Read things.
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
It's a bit moot since it's already sent. I also included english text just in case, so we'll see, I guess.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 02:28:27 AM »
Your Japanese is terribly incorrect, please stop trying to use it. Unless you are a huge M and love the shame.

0/10

Seriously.

Step 2. Read things.

-5/10

You're losing points, kid.

I imagine he's amassed a small fortune at least. I don't think he has to worry about the foreign market yet.

Ehm, not really the point. You can't say "well we don't have to pay for coke because coke is balls to the walls rich", it doesn't really work that way. The fact is, almost all of us torrent the games for free, and he deserves our money because let's face it: ZUN's a fucking God. Paypal would be the best option because I feel each game is worth more than 10 bucks. The music in each game by itself is worth more than 10 bucks, so I'd like to give him more if possible.

It's a bit moot since it's already sent. I also included english text just in case, so we'll see, I guess.

So you copy-pasted what has already been wrote or did you change it a bit? (Can we see the final copy?)

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:43 AM »

0/10

Seriously.

Step 2. Read things.

-5/10

You're losing points, kid.
If you are implying that teru is trolling in some way, then you are quite mistaken.

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 02:33:50 AM »
If you are implying that teru is trolling in some way, then you are quite mistaken.

I'm implying that even though Drake's Japanese may be horribly incorrect, one should not say "lol that sucks" and end it there. Give helpful advice, constructive critisizm or write the whole damn thing over yourself, but saying "you suck" doesn't get us anywhere. Trolling is all I can see that faggotry as, so my apologies if you disagree.

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 02:41:19 AM »
なんつーか。

いいえいいえ、そんなつもりめっそうもございませんでした。もうしわけありません。
次はもっと気の利いたことを言います、気配り出来なくてすみませんでした。
ほんっとうに、ごめんなさいでした。

建前です。本音を言うと、んな細かい指摘したって無理。ああ言うしかないんだ。
アホかてめー、あいつの日本語を見れば一目瞭然。

おっと、無茶ですね読めませんね。
勘違いもしますね。人間ですもん。
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 02:46:00 AM »
This is the entire content of the e-mail.

拝啓ZUN、

お前様の子供を生みたい。でも、西洋に住むのです。
だって、私は気が済む円を贈る!私ばかりか、西ファンダムさえ贈っている。
どうしたら?

敬具、お前様のファン~

P.S. The message above is written by my friend. In case it is not clear or he is joking around, here is what I want to say: western fans who download your games would like to buy them and support Team Shanghai Alice, but importing is too expensive. Can we send you donations to make up for it?

The english bit is pretty straightforward I think. Also, I felt the "joking around" thing was a clever joke since it implies I am not aware that Drake had me say that I want to bear ZUN's children.

N-Forza

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 03:11:00 AM »
A massive multimillion-dollar drink company is on no conceiveable level with a single guy hammering out code in his free time.

Another point you're missing is that there are avenues where you CAN legally acquire his games and therefore support his work. If the games really were worth more than $15 to you, then you wouldn't mind paying the extra shipping fees or whatever.

Drake

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 03:29:43 AM »
なんつーか(ry
えっと、大丈夫だ。謝罪としてありがとう。母語話者に伴ったら、拠所ないね。

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:51 AM »
Well screw you then for making me translate so much :(

拝啓ZUN、

私は東方ファンに西部を住んでいる。言いまでもなく、大部分私たちはゲームをダウンロードするでも、上海アリスを貢ぐためにゲームを買えればいい。
おりあしく、舶来ゲームは高直。三倍価だ。だからブログに賽銭を貰ってはどうですか?
?
そうすると、私たちは払い戻すをあからさまの海賊する~

敬具、お前様のファン

Although the Japanese is bad, this gives a better explanation of the situation than just "Dear ZUN! I pirate all your games, but I hope to pay you back. We cool now?"

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 03:58:46 AM »
I'm interested in seeing where this goes, though I can see ZUN possibly preferring using the export groups. Especally since Paletweb being a small group exporting themselves, or last I heard that's how Paletweb worked...

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 04:06:57 AM »
To be honest I'll be a little surprised if he responds at all, I'm sure he gets at least a hundred emails a day.

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 04:18:06 AM »
Buying a 15$ game is not that much, and it's much more convenient to just buy it than email ZUN about a donation box for western fans. I bought all the windows games and it didn't cost me that much, probably as much as two normal retail games(excluding the less cheap fighters, but I still got those).

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather put money towards buying the disk than giving money for free and getting nothing, the games are still pirate copies.

Still, good luck on contacting ZUN and I hope your plans succeed.

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 04:37:58 AM »
I would gladly pay ZUN for every game I've downloaded...except for PoFV and the fighting games. :V
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 05:33:22 AM »
Dear ZUN

Do you have a Stickam account? Because all my friends do and so we could totally get all of us together and you could watch us play Touhou live, on webcam. Also I own a cat who likes to eat cantaloupe. That's crazy, right? What cat does that? Mine does, and you can watch him do it on cam. Anyway. So if I went to Rite-Aid and got a MoneyGram order for 15 bucks, do I just put "ZUN" as the name? They have MoneyGram in Japan; I checked. I don't do PayPal because it's like a conspiracy of international bankers to get the whole world dependent on their system. Google Ron Paul.

Yours in Christ,
[your name here]

--------------------------------------------

(PS: Seriously, good on you for writing to ZUN - would be interesting to see what he says, if anything.)

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

flamingspinach

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 05:50:35 AM »
Well screw you then for making me translate so much :(

拝啓ZUN、

私は東方ファンに西部を住んでいる。言いまでもなく、大部分私たちはゲームをダウンロードするでも、上海アリスを貢ぐためにゲームを買えればいい。
おりあしく、舶来ゲームは高直。三倍価だ。だからブログに賽銭を貰ってはどうですか?
?
そうすると、私たちは払い戻すをあからさまの海賊する~

敬具、お前様のファン

Did you seriously just say "omae-sama"? Seriously?
BTW if at any point you see yourself typing を住む there is something very wrong.
Also fix your user title, the ' should go after the n, if anywhere - certainly not before it.
Are you just looking up random phrases in EDICT and not worrying about the details of how to use them in a sentence? PROTIP: Before you ever use a word you don't know, check for example sentences in some corpus, or google the word to see how it is used, etc.

Good luck. And try not to embarrass yourself too much by writing random unreadable nonsense to people. Putting in a modicum of effort is not something unreasonable to ask of a language learner.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 05:55:57 AM »
By the way, where are you guys getting $15 as the normal price? I recall ZUN's blog saying the games go for 1000 yen which is almost exactly ten bucks. They're $22 on Paletweb though, plus however much shipping is, that's a pretty gnarly markup. Are you guys finding them somewhere cheaper?

Tengukami

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 06:01:30 AM »
Did you seriously just say "omae-sama"? Seriously?
BTW if at any point you see yourself typing を住む there is something very wrong.
Also fix your user title, the ' should go after the n, if anywhere - certainly not before it.
Are you just looking up random phrases in EDICT and not worrying about the details of how to use them in a sentence? PROTIP: Before you ever use a word you don't know, check for example sentences in some corpus, or google the word to see how it is used, etc.

Good luck. And try not to embarrass yourself too much by writing random unreadable nonsense to people. Putting in a modicum of effort is not something unreasonable to ask of a language learner.

OH HAI SOCKPUPPET

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

N-Forza

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 06:02:14 AM »
They're 1000 yen at conventions, but in stores they are closer to $15. But at least you don't have to wait in line for 6 hours to save $5.

Also what on earth is going on in this thread I can't tell who is serious anymore.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 06:06:28 AM »
OH HAI SOCKPUPPET
Incorrect. 7hs can verify this, if you wish.

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 06:11:21 AM »
OH HAI SOCKPUPPET

Not really interested. But it is pretty funny that a brand-new user registers a few hours ago and that's the very first comment posted.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 06:19:22 AM »
It is pretty funny to have people coming out of the woodwork to rail on Drake. I wouldn't care if someone sent me an email in broken english plus spanish or whatever, I wouldn't have a hard time figuring out what it said one way or the other.

Drake

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 06:28:40 AM »
No no, it's good. Keep it coming, really. But if you're going to wail on something, wail on the first one I did. The second one was badly done, I admit heartily.

Although my user title's a joke, don't worry about it.

flamingspinach

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 06:39:28 AM »
OH HAI SOCKPUPPET

Not really interested. But it is pretty funny that a brand-new user registers a few hours ago and that's the very first comment posted.

Dude, google is pretty cool
ps I've been lurking in #shrinemaiden for like a year or more, gj

Tengukami

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 06:48:51 AM »
OH HAI SOCKPUPPET

That's nice.

flamingspinach

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 06:51:42 AM »
OH HAI SOCKPUPPET

That's nice.

You're nice, wanna be friends? :3

No no, it's good. Keep it coming, really. But if you're going to wail on something, wail on the first one I did. The second one was badly done, I admit heartily.

Although my user title's a joke, don't worry about it.

You may find this edifying. And whatever went into the final email is totally incomprehensible.

お前様の子供を生みたい。 "omae-sama", weird use of 生む
でも、西洋に住むのです。 uh, okay I guess
だって、私は気が済む円を贈る! nonsensical "だって", and I have no clue what 気が済む円を贈る is supposed to mean
私ばかりか、西ファンダムさえ贈っている nonsensical use of ばかり, か, and さえ, and I still have no idea what you're doing with 贈る
どうしたら? uh, yeah, this needs to be less of a sentence fragment
敬具、お前様のファン~ "omae-sama"

btw 拝啓 and 敬具 are not commonly used in emails afaik.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:58:22 AM by flamingspinach »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:47 AM »
I guess the reason for people to act tight and bitchy is the fear of making "us" western people look like idiots when trying to attempt such things. Especially concerning the Japanese language.

Though I understand that a good, clean e-mail with less mistakes as possible makes a better impression though I also have to agree that bitching about it, without helping or atleast pointing out the mistakes does not make one a better person.

These kind of situations occur alot on ze interwab, especially when it is about the Japanese language. Kind of cliche.