Author Topic: Suika Fortress - The Touhou Dwarf Fortress mod 0.34.11 update!  (Read 30840 times)

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Suika Fortress - The Touhou Dwarf Fortress mod 0.34.11 update!
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »
Greetings Everyone,

It's been a while since I last was active here, but after talking to the gang on the IRC board, I decided that now is probably a good time to introduce this board to my mod creation that I had been working on for the last 2 years.

I'll beginning by giving you all a little history behind it:

Orginally it all began when I watched someone do a person named Ramus use to play Dungeon Crawl games on the RPG board with some things altered by change some graphics to make it seem more Touhou like in apperance. This eventually got me into doing graphic mods.

But eventually I wanted to do something like he did so while going through my list of games I came across Dwarf Fortress.

For those that don't know Dwarf Fortress is a unique sanbox game that was made by Tarn Adams (AKA Toady One) which could be labeled as a "fantasy simulator". The game itself allows you to randomly generate a world and let it's history develop. From there you can choose to either read the history of the land, play as a team of dwarves that are embarking to a new location to build a fort, or to play an adventurer to go on whatever adventure you like.

Orginally, when I started work on this mod, it was intended to be a "just for fun" kinda mod. Where I replaced some Dwarf sprites with Suikas and maybe a few animals, but when I launched the game on the RPG board it became a rather big hit so I knew I nailed something good. Here the orginal thread if interested http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,1532.0.html

The players gave me ideas and suggestions on how to make it better and soon before I knew it I decided to roll with it and began working on some more. By then, it was no longer just a graphic mod, but a more serious mod change.

Soon most of the animals were replaced with yukkuri,then changing the body sturcture of ll characters in the game, then the races became more unique, then I made additional items (like sunflowers, ect), Then I added in more races such as Kappas and Inaba. Then finally when night creatures were implimented in the game, I was able to put in some more basic Touhou charaters.

As of this point, the game is still in development, and will likely be this way till we reach the magic arc (which could be years away) and speaking of which even as long and Toady and ZUN continue to update. I will continue dishing out new content.

Now let's get to discussing what this game is about....

What's Dwarf Fortress?

Think of it as what would happen if you?re cross together Dungeon Crawler with the Sims. Basiclly your trying to help your dwarves make a living by building a fortress and help them be able to survive against just about anything. Wether it be Elephants, Unicorns, Goblins, you name it. And at the same time, make sure they can survive, get food and water and be comfortable and happy as possible.

In Suika Fortress, we do pretty much the same thing, except it?s with Suikas, and most of our livestock and predators are yukkuri, though there are some animals out there too?

It?s also important to note that every Suika has their own personality and quarks too so be alert with how they behave too.

You will mainly be trying to build a settlement in Fortress mode in which you attempt to survive the wilderness from the wild animals and yukkuris, and dig and search for rescourses. You trade with other nations to get goods and also fight against enemies and thieves. Eventually it can lead to wars which can make things more intense, but then when you dig deep enough... the real FUN begins!

There's no way of telling what can happen and to be honest Suika Fortress does not have any real goals since it pretty much is a mod over the orginal Dwarf Fortress. But of course the saying still abides to it here as it did in the orginal....

LOSING IS FUN!

Adventure mode mainly let's you select a race and take control of them as you embark to find quest kill people ect. Do whatever you want and change the world around you. :P

And the Legends mode is just history stuff.

But like I said, this is only a mod that uses the orginal Dwarf Fortress game with enough alterations to make it different and have a more Touhou atmosphere.

Currently it's in it's in last stage before the first Caravan arc release. Where I'm working on adding PC-98 yukkuris and also adding in other non human PC-98 charaters in as megabeasts. And also adding in some additional animals like the Dapang, and the Tsuchinoko just to name a few.

Once the first caravan arc comes out, I should have access to working on Necromancery, Vampires, Mummies, and Were Wolf mechanics and hopfully it'll be all in my favor so I can add some more actual Touhou characters into the mix.

Anyways I think I covered my bases about the game. A good heads up about this is that since it's still uses the main DF mechanics it will have a STEEP learning curve. But that's all part of the fun.

I mean I'm mainly using what could be considered an API system made by Toady that invovles tokens, but while limited, it's powerful enough to give a setting in the world that could be fit for Gensokyo (eventually)

What is currently in the mod?

Well I guess way to explain this is to divide it into groups.

Creatures
Yukkuris: Pretty much I have most of the yukkuris from the PC universe in this game. Only a few have yet to appear in it (Yukari-yukkuris, Byakukkuris and Mikokkuris) reasons for this is because I'm waiting till the loooooooonnng awaited magic system gets implimented (which may take years) so that I can allow these yukkuris to behave how they properly should. (Like having yukari yukkuris gap to new areas)

Animals: Most animals are still in it are left overs which I couldn't find a decent replacement to put a yukkuri in place, which is fine, Gensokyo doesn't need to be all yukkuris does it. Actually I'm curious if some animals should come back...

Animal people: again, creature that were already in game I will be honest though... I made some of them sprites that would only be suitable for a superhero (Batmen, Ironmen ect... I reeally should just make more natural sprites than keep these goofy knockoffs.)

Underground critters: More things I couldn't replace, but seem fitting, some did get some name changes to fit more into the Touhou-verse.

Faries: Come in several different types and have unique abilites depending on where you decide to embark.

Kedamas: Lot like faries, and come in many colors and all have unique features

Other mythical creatures: Hell cats, Hell ravens, myons, other things like that to also give more flavor.

Races

Suikas: The main race you play as in Fortress Mode. They're mainly the tiny replicas of Suika herself. Running around, building a fort, partying, getting drunk, ect. They need thier alchahol to get through the working day obviously. :P

Humans: Standard mundane humans, with avrage chararistics will likely trade with you if your in good terms with them.

Parseekkuris: They replace the Elf race in the game. Parseekkuri are pretty much your uppity jealous type creature that will mainly trade with you, but they don't exactly like it when you trade them wooden goods ( they get jealous of it) and may try to make you cap your wood cuttings.

Daiyouseikkuri: Replace the kobolds. Little thiving yukkuris that tend to come loot your good that you leave out in the open. If they swipe enough, they may come back in larger numbers and armed with your stuff

Biokkuris: Replace the gobolins. Yukkuris that are mutated results from "The Factory" the place yukkuris fear. Mainly are a blood thirsty bunch that will try to kill you in a heart beat wether by raids or seiging with a large army.

Kappa: Shy, but technologically smart race. They are hard to gain thier trust and may take a year or two before they'll even start coming. Will sell some nice goods though that can match up to your stuff.

Inaba: The rabbit youkai race led by Tewi. They're mainly out to loot your beer and whatever else they can get their hands on. They're like a hybrid of the Elf and Kobold with some seiging features (assuming they're working correctly.)

Others

Touhou charaters: Back in the beginning I was iffy about adding Touhou charaters into the game, but after seeing the direction the game was going I decided that it was possible since it could allow the people in the game to tell you myths about them and so forth.

So far I have:

Rumia: Youkai of the Darkness, tends to love eating people and blinding them in the darkness.

Mystia: Song bird of the night blindness: Mainly non agressive, but will fight when threatend by someone.

Wriggle Nightbug: Tends to torment people with bugs, has a large range of infections that can be caused depending on what bugs she uses.

Yamane: Spread infection and dieseas and is well capable of doing the same to you.

Medicene Mealoncholy: Deadly poisons and will attack anyone on sight. Getting close to her is EXTREMLY DANGEROUS.

FUN: There are somethings best kept a secret, even Toady suggests this. Thus I can't tell you everything. Something are best discovered. :P

Plants and stuff
Along with the orginal stuff from the orginal Dwarf Fortress game I've also included:

Sunflowers: Mainly grow above ground in ploted farmlands. Can be used for a varity of things from cooking, to making sunflower oil.

Moonberries: Inferior berry to the sun berry and not favored for selling, but may help in terms of survival though...

Cave Cucumbers: Underground crop, used for eating raw and making Cucumber Beer!

Gourds: replace jars (I think) to store liquids in (mainly beer!)

I think that covers that

What are my current plans for the mod ATM?

Working on PC-98 yukkuris to replace certain creatures or to simply add in. This will probably take a bit of time. Also going to work on the additional creature I mentioned before hand.

Then when Caravan Arc 1 comes out, I'll consider adding in some charaters like Orin, Yuyuko, Keine, Remillia, Flandre, Seiga, Yoshika and possibly Tojiko among them using the token engine mechanics.

Do I have any request?
At the moment yes! I am actually curious if there is anyone here who would be interested in composing some simple Touhou-esque music that could replace the music that is in Dwarf Fortress. I was hoping for something that would fitting for both the title screen and the main game music. And if it followed the same feel that Toady did with his music for DF that would be a bonus. :P

Course I would also need them converted to ogg files to make use of them in the game's file. I would be looking for a minimum for 2 songs. Though I'm open to include more than 2 if we can find someone who be willing to compse music to add to the game play music that plays just to give varity.

So far the only song that strikes me that fits the title screen would be Broken Moon, or something like what is done on the title screens of every Touhou song (you know, da na na na da na da na na na da na, like in Eastern Night)

As for the game play music I'm open to plenty of songs as long as they carry that simalar fantasy feel.

So where can I play your mod?

You can download it from the DFFD site.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

This game is hard to play and /or understand
That'a why I said the learning curve is STEEP! It's not exactly easy to get into. Course most of the difficulty mechanics are due to how Toady orginally made the game. So yes it's cruel and the interface may be hard to understand. But do not worry. I have two guides that can help you out with Suika Fortress. Since the mod stays very close to DF's routes, these tutorials should still apply.

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/ This one is good for learning some of the game's basics, though it doesn't cover the 2010 edition (which is the current one) Still it'll help out alot.

http://df.magmawiki.com/ This wiki will be your friend big time! It covers everything you need to know about the game and all you that you can possibly learn since it's kept up to date.

Other than that there are youtube tutorials on Dwarf fortress that can work for this too.

You've held a succession game here before. Will you be doing on again?

Absolutely yes! In fact my aim will be to hold a succession game after the new release comes out. Assuming the new release's bugs aren't too significant to cause it to be game braking or unplayable. (which there is usually a case of bug fixes that occur during every new release. Course that'll be after I do all the updates with the new systems being implemented and all that.

Credits
Credit of the Suika Fortress mod can go to:
Tarn "Toady One" Adams: For the creation of Dwarf Fortress and the abilty to allow me to have massive mod control over it.
ZUN: For Touhou of course and the fasinating world of Gensokyo.
Mike Mayday: For showing me the world of sprites and how they could be implimented into what was once use to be an ASCII game.
Psieye: For coming up with some ideas and concepts for some game features.
Patchy, Darvi, and tons of other Bay 12 fokes for helping bug test and problem solve token issues.
And of course the MotK crew, for inspiring me to keep pushing this project forward to this very day.

Anyways, I'm want to see if I can get some feed back and suggestions if you all find it interesting cause I've been constantly adding content for the last two years to this little mod of mine and it just continues to grow.

Also I'll probably also start another game in the RPG section once again after I finish updating the caravan arc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:44:15 AM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
Interesting! I just loved your description and it interested me. Now, I download!
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

Totaku

Interesting! I just loved your description and it interested me. Now, I download!

Glad you loved it, I'm glad someone in interested in trying it out. Anyways I put some addition information I didn't have time to include in the near the end of my first post. Which covers some tutorial sites, a better description of the game and what it has as well as what's in the mod in general.
Now I Twitter

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Moved to correct forum section. Also, DF is always win.

Totaku

Moved to correct forum section. Also, DF is always win.

Exactly! :D Also thanks cause I wasn't sure which part of the board to put it on. So I took a wild guess, but thanks.

Also while I'm at it, I noticed this hasn't gotten much attention, but then again, this is a DF mod, so I'm not surprised since it is pretty deep and hard to play.

But also see no one is interested in composing a little tune for Suika Fortress? Mmmmm.... I mean I can understand. anyways, I come to give you all an update on the progress of the PC-98 yukkuri/ creature update:

I had been rather busy on a number of reasons so to speak. But I have managed to get some yukkuris done from game 1 and 2. (minus Sariel and Kongarra).

It's going to take some time, but I'm really hoping I can get the mod launched before Caravan Arc 1 is released. And it drawing closer now (since Toady's about half way through the "list")

I still have charaters from games 3-5 to cover. 3 and 4 will likely be the most time consuming while 5 should be quicker. Then there's still the non-humanoid entries like Evil eye Sigma, ect. The following that will be some animals (which some will be easy to do.)

Hopfully once that is done, then a simple arena test is all I'll need then I shall launch the update. Then it'll be preparation time for Caravan Arc 1.

Regarding Caravan Arc 1

With Toady's release of the interaction codes for the zombies, werewolves, vampires and the like. There is a VERY GOOD chance that Remillia, Flandre, Keine, Yoshika, Yuyuko, Seiga and Orin will make the cut. It's a matter of how this feature is executed once the release is out. I'm really hoping they can have thier own special sprites. Cause it would make it worth while.

But yes, the interaction codes seem to make these charater behave almost the way I want them too. But until this is released and we see the action take place. It's still up in the air.

In the mean time, I will be busy trying to get them prepared so that they can stand up to being a serious threat and fit thier roles accordingly.

But yes, soon you will all have vampire lolis, Jiyang Shi, evil hermits, corpse cats and hungry ghosts invading your fortress for your beer. :P
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Back from the dead folks. It's been a while since I posted here cause I had been very busy trying to fix things that happened over the last few months.

1. My old computer died from old age....
2. Lost my old Adobe Creative Suite (used V2 at the time)
3. Had to buy a new computer and Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 (Let's just say it's good to have connections with a teacher)

So yeah Suika Fortress production was in limbo for a good while. But now it's all back and going according to plan!

As of today I have managed to get all the characters from Phantasmagloria of Dim. Dream yukkurified.

(I hope this is in file size requirements)
This now leaves me with Lotus Land and Mystic Square left. Then I still have non humanoid entires like Evil Eye Sigma, Yuugan Magen, and animals like some Kasen  can summon to put in.

The rest will then depend on me to code in the behavior.

With any luck I'll have this done JUST BEFORE Release 1 comes out. But the window is very thin so I'll have to be lucky here. Wish me luck.

Also still looking for someone to compose some music for Suika Fortress like I mention in the inital post. May have to go ask some musicans around here if it ultimately comes down to it.
Now I Twitter

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
Time to try it ^^

Totaku

Time to try it ^^

Glad to see your going to try my mod out. Let me know what you think about it and what your thoughts are about it! I can always use direction when dealing with certain matters.

In the meantime, Lotus Land yukkuris are now done! Meaining I'm now down to Mystic Square and doing Konngara and Sariel. Then it'll be time to work on non humannoid PC-98 creatures. With Toady only 7 items left to debug, I'll be riding this update really close....
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Posting one more update before getting some sleep. (which won't be much)

All the yukkuris from Touhou games 1-5 are now added.

This means now I can turn my focus onto the non humanoid creature. Yuugan Maggen which will mainly be 5 eyes with an electric core. Evil Eye Sigma, Rika's specialized demonic tank which looks like a giant eye with wings and tentacles.

Then it'll be onward to working on other small animals to add into the world of Suika Fortress to make the world more like Gensokyo.

The Tsuchinoko, a fat snake looking creature that lives in forested area and is extremely rare thus they will be highly valuable.

The Sake bug, which will replace the purring maggot in it's entirety. While it can't be used to make sake, you can probably milk it's extracts to make sake flavor food ingredients (suitable for onis)

Both of these creatures made an apperances in Strange and Bright Nature Deity.

Then finally a few animals that Kasen Ibaraki uses from Wild and Horned Hermit.

The Dapeng which is a re-introduction of the "Giant Eagle"

And the Raijuu a small rat creature that can release electrical bursts from it's body and bite can cause anyone to become unmotivated (thus become sleepy real quickly)

These critters should hopefully be done in the following day when I'm awake.

That should cover it for now.

Any feedback would be appriciated.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Been busy working on the creatures I've been adding in. I got them all in and managed to program most of their behaviors. Now I've been busy conducting Arena testing to ensure they function the way they should.

So far the results are very promising!

Just look at all those yukkuri and Suika corpses laying all over the place! And the floor painted with such a lovely color of beanpaste and blood.

I think I made things very promsing. I only have a few more arena test to go through then it'll be onward to finish the remaining items. 7 of them remain.... then I'll release the next Suika Fortress update.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

I feel like I'm talking to myself here, but I know this project is respected in some parts!

I've done enough testing and I can offically say that Suika Fortress 0.7.2 is finally out!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601
Here's the summary of what I have reported in the update.

V.0.7.2 Decided to use the decimal system as of this point. Anyways, this update is a big one as it contains a boat load of yukkuris. All from the PC-98 series. Starting form Reimu based yukkuris from PC-98 and going through all the humanoid charaters turned yukkuri from Touhou games 1-5. I've also included Evil Eye Sigma, and Yuugan Magan in addition to the those I've even put in some animals that have appered in the Touhou universe, such as Dapengs, Tsuchinokos, sake bugs and the like. I manged to replace a few of the other in game animals in the process. Do expect this time to be even more challenging compared to before...

This update is for Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25.

As of right now, I've completed what I had planned for 0.31.25, and with 0.34.01 being out already.

I shall begin on my next stage of production.

Transfering all the content I've worked on from 0.31.25 to 0.34.01.

This next update will be a simple transfer update so I can get in pace with the other mods.

Once that is complete I will move on to my next stage of work which I will discuss here when the time is right. I do however have a poll I want to put up soon for everyone to get thier feedback on an idea I was give that I liked and wanted additional feedback on. It'll be posted after work.

Also I want to also remind you. Your feedback is very important to me since I'm looking for direction and ideas to keep this going. As I think there can always be a chance I missed something or a bug slipped through the works. So please let me know your feedback regarding the mod.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Here's another post regarding my thoughts regsrding the future plans of Suika Fortress:

Ok since 0.34.02 is coming out tomorrow. I'm going to hold off on any action regarding transfering till the release comes out since it fixes several vital things.

In the meantime though, I'm going to go ahead and bring up a very important question to all of you who play my mod.

As you know by now. I have put every single yukkuri under the sun into Suika Fortress. And yet, Toady continues to add more animals into the DF realm. So this leaves me with some questions on what I should considering doing.

Thankfully a artist gave me an idea. She goes by the name of "Rebecca". First off I want to ask... do you remember that I put a Sukusuku Hakutaku in the game beforehand? As I mentioned before I like those little fanmade critters as they're clever and unique in there own way, even if they are mainly a parody of Keine of sorts.

But recently this artist gave me a wonderful idea that I want to consider for my mod. I talked with some friends over at the IRC and they accepted it with rather welcome arms!

What I was considering was adding the following:
http://i.imgur.com/xQ29N.png

Different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus!

The idea just seems clever enough that it would work and it might add varaity into the game since I've upped' the difficulty recently.

More or less what I want to aim to do is make Sukusuku Hakutakus of different kinds that you can locate depending on where in the world you explore or embark on.

Most of them will be wild, some will be peaceful, but overall I'm considering making them all acceptable as pets compared to yukkuris which I wouldn't allow completely.

Now why would I do this though? Because I'm going to try to keep it as fair as possible.

What I want to consider doing is adding in Sukusuku Hakutakus of different types and varieties. They will all be based on Touhou characters so don't even bother asking me to make a Miku Hatsune one, AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!

Also I will not be doing them on every single Touhou character, but I will howver consider adding them in if they can be balanced in some way.

I also want to balance their availability since I don't want people finding 10 in one biome and 2 in another. Wouldn't be fair otherwise..

But anove all else, I want them to have thier own special abilities depending on who they represent.

Some examples I thought up were:

Spoiler:
Paruparu Hakutaku: Parsee based - will fly into a rage every once in a while.
Bakabaka Hakutaku: Cirno based - spit out chunks of ice at high speed
Maidomaido Hakutaku: Sakuya based - has razor sharp teeth ade of iron.

These are only a few I have considered, but this is also why I wanted to bring this up.

To be fair coming up with a clever name for a Sukusuku Hakutaku is harder than it seems and I want the fans here to help me out a bit. Because without them it would be hard to define them. So that's why I want your help, cause I know you can help me out with clever names for these little furry guys. Your feedback here will be very important since it'll help shape the future of what I include Suika Fortress.

So please go ahead and please give me your feedback, cause I would truly appreciate it. ^^

Now I Twitter

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
I fucking love sukusukus and approve of their proliferation. They'd work for most four-legged mammals.

You should put mofujis in too.

Totaku

I fucking love sukusukus and approve of their proliferation. They'd work for most four-legged mammals.

You should put mofujis in too.
I'm glad you approve the idea. ^^ I've gotten lots of feedback on the IRC board about it and it was quite positive. And the current poll I'm holding at Bay 12 is leaning in favor of Sukusuku Hakutakus. So I think there's a very good chance I'll green light this project sometime after the transfer and sprite configurations are complete and I begin working on new content for 0.34.xx.

Also regarding Mofujis...

I for some reason have realized how good of an idea that is. Your have helped me just find a replacement for the lamas and Alpacas in the fortress. So I'll consider adding them in too.

Currently:

Creature transfer to 0.34.02 is finished. I now have only a few more things to transfer. Namely items, weapons, entity, colors, stuff like that. This shouldn't take too long and hopfully I'll have the 0.34.02 version up for release.

Do note that this will be the "quick release" version since there are no sprites for the new animals added in the game yet. That will be in the following update...
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Suika Fortress is now 0.34.02 ready!

As I mentioned before this was a simple transfer update more or less and I did do a few small tweaks here and there, but at least I got an idea how interaction tags work for breath attacks and have to say... I see a bright future for this! There's lots of possibilties for these tags and I look forward to playing with them more since alot can be done with them. I will probably do more stuff with them in due time...

But in the mean time...

Those that play Suika Fortress, I need your assistance to make sure everything in the game is playing properly. I will be busy testing things myself and making fixes here and there. So don't be surprised if I make quick updates with small fixes I find. Course you can always download the file ,take the raw and go from there.

But as I said, your feedback is very vital to me since I'm aiming to benifit everyone with it. And any thoughts and ideas are always important.

As usual, I would like some feedback also on them Sukusuku Hakutakus that I mentioned before hand. So please drop by the thread here and give me your feedback!
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Bug fix update!

As mentioned in the DFFD: Fixes several spelling errors, fixed tag error with yukkuri Reimu, brought Sanae yukkuris and Meiling yukkuris back to existence, fixed kirumi yukkuri's name tag.

Hopefully there won't be any more grave mistakes like that. (I'll add Suika's horn broadness description in later)
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Bug fix update #2!

Fixed a big mistake with Parseekkuris and Inabas from not existing. So they now should appear in their proper appearance now.

I think that concludes all that I found. I think there are a few more (very minor) errors I have spotted, but they'll be fixed in the next big update since I beginning work on the sprites for the new creatures added into the world of DF. As well as fixing older ones.

This will likely take some time.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Bug fix update #3 + 0.34.05 update!

Fixed turtle sprites that were using gems and gave them back their turtle sprites. Also now the game is updated with the 0.34.05 release since I have't started sprite work yet.

Edit: If you generated a world in 0.34.04 but haven't played it, you'll have to discard it as it'll be rendered useless with the new tweaks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:35:44 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Thank god, I got this drawing done to the point I can start work on this again.

Yes to those who know what I was up to on IRC, that Seiga and Yoshika drawing was semi related to Suika Fortress as well as for drawing practice. It's related to a future update I'm putting together... so yeah here we go...
I think it goes without explaining what I'm cooking up in the next update or so... it's going to be a bit of an overhaul which will also include Seiga and Yoshika in the mix. So I'm going to be pretty busy....

Anyways... I come to tell you I will begin work on Suika Fortress as of today! And I have a lot of work to compete by the dead line.

The dead line I have set for? Mid or Late July?

Why?

Because I'm fixing to hold a Suika Fortress commuinty game that I generally hold yearly at the Maiden of the Kaleidoscope forum! But here's the catch regarding the community game....

This time, I'm wanting Bay12 gamers to be involved in it as well!

The project I'm doing?

The MotK / Bay12 Suika Fortress cross forum community game project!

But to make it happen I HAVE to get the mod done on time! So I have no time to waste!

My idea was to create a series of promotional art pieces, but as I learned, my life and my art don't mix well together..... ;_; This is taking too long but I thankully got the parts I want done ready.... I was going to do some others, but I'm going to have to can them and the promotional poster, cause it'll take too long....

So starting today I'll be working on the animals and stuff like I mentioned sometime ago.

I will keep you posted....

Oh another thing came to my mind:

Recently someone suggested adding in actual watermelons into the game. Which is funny in a way since Suika's name can also mean this too. But I found out there are watermelon flavored beer too! So if I consider adding in water melon, it'll be most likley an above ground crop.

Course I want your feedback on this idea too cause I want to consider it, but I like to know if you think it be fun to grow watermelons in your fortress....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:18:41 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
Quote from: highzealot
Worse than standard necros and zombies? Necromancers and zombies that spam projectiles at you?
Hello from bay12
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:28:56 AM by highzealot »

Totaku

Hello from bay12

Now your getting warmer. XD Also hey, I answered your question back in Bay12 as well...

Anyways, I've looked over the stuff from my last update and the stuff from the most recent update. I got a boat load of work ahead for me....

One thing I've decided to do was look over the sprites people have made while I was out. I'm planning on trying to contact a few to get the greenlight to use their sprites so save me time so I can work on the more grueling parts. My own sprite overhaul, and adjusting everything and adding in what is necessary. I'm want to get the animals and the content set for the deadline and in order to do so I'll be trying to work on them as soon as possible.

Also I'm playing through the current DF mod to determine if any other changes need to be made as well....

Messages sent, awaiting replies...
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Ok, at the moment, I'm currently working on some of the animals from the bird family and aquatic family.

http://i.imgur.com/qWejT.png

As mentioned before right now I'm using Kafine's sprite sheet from her thread which was made clear in her thread that she allowed anyone to use them if they wished. So I'm going to go ahead and use them and give them the credit for most of her animals. Also I'm using a few sprites from NW_Kohaku. At the moment, Kohaku's remain in the grey zone, because I haven't gotten a message from him yet, but I think he'll be fine with them as well once he comes on and gets my message. But yeah, I'm working on animal people and zombie varation of some critters as well. I'll be trying to cover all the grounds here since I see people tend to overlook these variations.

I probably won't do too many giant variations though, since in a way those don't too much different for some animals. But yeah, for right now, progress is go smoothly. And hopfully will continue that way....
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Ok time for another update report! Sea life is done!

Which means now I move on to insects, and then finally mammals before I work on sprite retouching and reconfiguring everything from the last 5 updates....

Also if you look carefully you'll see a cameo...

Spoiler:
Prepare to be De Geso'd
http://i.imgur.com/LIOXi.png

Anyways.... moving on to the next set of creatures now....
Now I Twitter

Totaku

And I'm back and I'm rolling full speed ahead.... insects are now done! Meaning I can now move on to reptiles and mammals. The last two critter groups in my to do list before moving on to zombie sprite tweaking and then finally fixing up the raws to match the new update (and finally adding a credit txt file for now all the additional help I'm getting)

Anyways, here's the sheet as it stands..

Now I Twitter

Totaku

The moment you been waiting for is finally over!

Suika Fortress V0.7.3 (0.34.11 release!) is finally up!

I've done some testing and through some quick observation things seem to be ok. However if you guys do spot something odd, please let me know. Cause I know I'll need to fix it sooner or later... since I need people to test it.

Anyways, here's the report from the this update

V0.7.3 Transferred all content to 0.34.11 and updated it to meet with standards. Fixed missing Suika Horn file, fixed missing yukkuris, updating tile set with Mike Mayday's permission, updates sprites for almost every animal in the animal kingdom (only a few in tropical_new are missing) with permission from various artist and my own work. Fixed some text with Goomba Geek's assistance, and updated some behavior and  location mechanics of 10 D yukkuris. Testing will be needed....

With this big hurdle out of the way, I can make way for the next project for Suika Fortress. One that could either be really simple, or really hard. The preview I posted before hand is the hint to what I'm preparing to do. And it will be very experimental, but I will hope to maximize the results from it cause it should make things fun and more interesting....

I'll explain more about it later... for now get to playing and testing folks!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:36:47 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Here's quick fix for you all!

Suika Fortress 0.7.3 quick fix!

Here's the info regarding the quick fix:
Quick fix for 0.7.3: fixed sprite error with a sprite in world gen, fixed description of some beer from dwarven to Suikan, some sprites errors with pots and gourds, and more descriptions tweaks with GoombaGeek.

I haven't seen any noticable errors out of the norm from here, so I'm going to go ahead and explain the next step that I'm going to work on.

Starting today, I shall be experimenting with interaction tags something I needed to do for a while. The new tags have changed the way things are handled and I want to see just how well some attacks play out.

I also may be running around testing mods that center around Necromancers, zombies and the like. Reason?

Plans for The Wicked Hermit and Jiangshi update

Ever since 10D came out and DF's timing, I realized that the necromancer system had alot of value to it. And I've been wanting to see just how far I can take it...

As everyone probably knows already, the idea behind this update will be to make good use of the interaction tags that function around Necromancers and zombies. But at the same time, I want to make sure they're unique all at the same time.

For this planned update, I want to be able to place in Seiga Kaku, the wicked Taoist hermit, and Yoshika Miyako, the cursed gluttonous jiangshi poet.

To make this possible I am trying to see if I can make certain things happen that only these characters can do and only them! And at the same time also construct a general jiangshi system as well..

So why don't I explain the layout plans here:

Seiga Kaku

What needs to be done for her:
She must be a one of kind character (she the only one that exists)
She must be able to raise the dead and call forth "Jiangshi" as her servants to aid her if she gains access to corpses.
She must be able to pass through walls (unfortunately not possible, so BUILDINGDESTORYER will have to do for now)

Things I want to consider for her:
Being able to special summon Yoshika Miyako into battle (I hear that might be possible if she uses a corpse she can locate)
Being able to spread her taoist influence among people to convince them to partake in hermit hood causing either addition mayham, or peace depending on the individual. (this may be hard to do)

Other important notes: Being a hermit she's stronger than the average human, and due to being around for 1400+ years or longer, she probably possesses a load of magic, but she'll be limited at the moment due to system mechanics at the time, though her core abilities should be possible to achieve. Also while it's probably not possible for her right now, I would like her to be able to enter villages without causing a mess in due time (As in bring her undead horde with her)

Yoshika Miyako

What needs to be done for her:
A stand alone character if possible.
Be summonable by Seiga
Perhaps hide in a grave in adventure mode (this may require a "second" Yoshika to achieve this effect.
She needs to have a mad appetite for food
She needs to be slightly slow, but dangerously powerful and be able to withstand a lot of damage.
She must cooperate under Seiga's command and attack if necessary.
She must be able to infect others with her bite and perhaps make them go Jiangshi on the next full moon. (There's no way I can make it a temporary 1 hour case so it's going to be werewolf syndrome here...)

Things I want to consider for her:
Make her brain rotten

General Jiangshi
What needs to be done for them:
Be able to be summoned by a wicked hermit if access to a corpse
Be strong, and have good defense, but also be slow.
Cooperate with wicked hermit
Can rot away gradually (it's not like they're as good as Seiga...)
Cause infection via biting victim and spread it to living beings

General Wicked Hermits
Need to be able to uses taoist magic to raise jiangshi from the dead
Be stronger than the average human, but only by a certain degree

This here is a good list of what I want to focus on for the core point of the project, course if you guys know of any tricks to achive the effects, by all mean let me know. I'll be busy experimenting for now. And start working on Seiga and Yoshika in a certain period of time.

But yes, more or less Seiga and Yoshika are like a Necromancer and zombie, just with a bunch of unique twists to them.

That's what I'm hoping to achieve anyways. So guess it's time to start...
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Re: Suika Fortress - The Touhou Dwarf Fortress mod 0.34.11 update!
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
Time for a new update folks!

Suika Fortress 0.7.35!

This update mainly consist of a few unique measures I took to add some special uniqueness in the necromancer system and zombie system. so you'll now have to content with wicked hermits, jiangshi. And also deal with characters like Seiga, Yoshika and possibly Letty wrecking your fort since I'm adding new challenging idea onto the plate.

So here's the update summary.
V0.7.35
Seiga Kaku and Miyako Yoshika have been added with a nice functioning necromancer and zombie engine to fit their personalities! General (wicked) hermits have been added along with Jiangshi. Seigakkuris can now use Necromancery magic. Letty Whiterock has been added for Frozen fun. Kogasakkuris and Orinkkuirs have changed their locations. Designed a new Medium world region suitable for Suika Fortress needs.

Now.. I got about roughly 13 days before the 15th.... I want to aim to get everything done by then. But the date of when I want to hold the "Yearly Suika Fortress Challengemay vary... we'll have to see....

There's alot on my plate here I need to finish before I can begin the yearly challenge.

I've decided to just simply release the whole list instead of breaking it in segments since I seem to have made some confusion earlier on....

So here's the to do list:
Were-creature experiment: Need this for Yukeines and one more PC-98 yukkuri I held off from adding.
Create Orin: Make her speedy and summon ghost faries
Create Cirno: Make her speedy and use ice breath related skills that can freeze you literally.
Create Keine: Assuming the were engine will prevent her from going insane.... (not aiming to make her a megabeast, but more adventure mode oriented)
Create Remilia: Destructive close range combatant and very tough fighter...though since I've looked at the vampire system it may be iffy at the moment.
Create Flandre: Read Remilia, same reasons
Create Miko: Straight forward charater for now. Will have high sense, but decent combat skills, but that's about it. (Adventure mode oriented)
Create Futo: Like Miko, but fling fireballs to fit her character. (Adventure mode oriented)
Create Mamizou: Polymoph skills seem to have unique wonders I hear I want to make her go and sneak in your fort to guzzle your booze. :P
Create Nue: Kinda like Mamizou, but instead, much more viscous and aggressive.
Create Yuyuko: Debating on her, since I'm not sure I can make her feel like Yuyuko completely... may drop her....
Create Sukusuku Hakutaku breeds: I have about 20-30 of them in my list I want to make. All with unique features to them to make them stand out.
Create Mofujis: A request from Stuffman, they make perfect replacements for Laamas and Alpacas!

So yeah, big list to cover in a few weeks. Here's hoping for the best!
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
All they new critter work properly now and change form accodingly.

Singyokkuris change forms every few days. This is in order to give you all enough time to kill it between forms since it auto heals with every change.

Keine and yukkeines change forms real briefly for one day....

Beyond that, this pretty much sums up the update in a nutshell. So here you go!
Suika Fortress 0.7.4
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »
Welp another update is ready! So....

Suika Fortress 0.7.45

Here's the summary:
V0.7.45
Added Orin and Cirno, fixed up earth spirits and zombie fairies that seem to have gone MIA. Also fixed some weird script errors involving hell cats laying eggs (what?) and hell ravens reproducing like mammals.

Just so you know, I need someone to go in and test Orin in DF mode. I need to know if her transformations work properly. So make sure Orin lives and go make her attack your fort.

Now  here's how I'll explain about how this next update will roll....

The Sukusuku Hakutaku  / Mofumofu update

This update will be the second to last update before the July 15th. What I'm aiming to do for the this one will be to add a nice variety of critters that some people wanted to have added in.

One being the Sukusuku Hakutaku breeds that were mentioned many pages ago. Each sukusuku hakutaku is going to be unique in some special way, some good, other bad. You have to determine how you can ultilize them... and before you ask, yes, they will all be exotic pets that you can make into war animals exception of maybe one or two.

Some of them include:

PadoPado Hakutaku - Sakuya based
Bakabaka Hakutaku - Cirno based
Mofumofu Hakutaku - Ran based
ParuParu Hakutaku - Parsee based
SatoSato Hakutaku - Satori based
Kurukuru Hakutaku - Hina based
KyuuKyuu hakutaku - Flandre based
Koa-Koa Hakutaku - Koakuma based
TenkoTenko Hakutaku - Tenshi based
NyanNyan Hakutaku - Seiga based
Orinrin Hakutaku - Orin based
NuenNuen Hakutaku - Nue based
KanaKana Hakutaku - Kanako based
MokoMoko-Hakutaku - Moukou based

I think those are all the ones I had on the list. I wanted to make them uinque from one and only be found in certain locations. So I think you get the idea where this is going...

Now what's this mofumofu stuff you say?

Well the idea started when stuffman said this would be a good idea so I rode with it! Because it gave me a door of opprotunity to replace some animals.

the Mofuji will pretty much replace the alpacas and llamas, but will share the same mechanics as them.

Also another creature I'm considering adding thanks to E-Nazrin's suggestion is, the Mofuling.... a giagantic wolly panda like creature that share some meiling resemblances. It'll be pretty much what I call a giant panda as a semi megabeast. Nothing special about it, to be honest, but it'll allow for more fur in your world, assuming you have the right stuff to take care of it...

But yes, as of this point I have 16 critters to work on here. I'm open for suggestions, but I will be mainly fixing to wind this down and get it packaged up.

This release will be 0.7.49 when it comes out.... why?

I'm saving one final component change that I'll release on the day of the Suika Fortress Yearly Challenge. But otherwise it's to take time to look at the update and see if I can find any more bugs or balance fixes that need to be settled.

So in other words 0.7.5 will be released on the day of the yearly challenge so that all participants can download them and prepare as they will all be soon participating in the game itself.

So once I make the community game, the release should be out.  I got 8 days to get it ready. I think I can do it!

I'll update as I continue to reveal stuff.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »
I will start with the update, then follow up with questions regarding the events and so forth afterward and explain where I go from here...

Welp, I'm done now. All these little critters are ready to roll!

Suika Fortress 0.7.49 is now up!

Mac Version

Here's some quick info about the update:
V.0.7.49
Added in 14 Sukusuku Hakutaku breeds all with unique features. replaced Llamas and Alpacas with Mofujis, and added in a Mofuling, a semi megabeast panda like creaute. Bug testing will be needed!

Now on to the questions..

Where can we sign up for the Suika Fortress Yearly Challenge? I think I'd like a turn when it goes up.

I will launch a thread on July the 15th which will appear at the bay 12 community game board. From there you will need to express intrerest in participating so I can add you to the list.

Here on MotK, I will launch it in the Rumia Party Games board as usual, you know to sign up there!

From there once I get enough players, or another time passes, I'll go through the regular procedures that I've done yearly. Mainly set up locations, vote on areas to go, difficulty, ect. Then from decide on supplies, ect, and randomize who will go first!

What will also make this different is this will be a cross forum community experiement! Invovling 2 forums. MotK (the birth place of the Suika Fortress yearly challenge) and Bay 12 (The birth place of Dwarf Fortress that inspired me to create Suika Fortress. I'll be putting together the rules for this stuff over the course of the week and have them prepared by the 15th. As well as make a few final tweaks.

I hope this explains what your looking for...

Where I go from here

I got one more update up my sleeve before the yearly challenge. Tweaking, bug testing, and adding in some really small stuff. It's probably not important, but in the long run it might be. It won't be anything over the top. I'm going to probably work on work on this quitely for the next few days and also add in a few other things while I prepare how I will construct the Suika Fortress yearly challenge thread itself.

The main point I'm getting here is that I want to take the next few days to clean, balance and get everything running tip top shape for the forum game.

Once 0.7.5 is released. There will be no more releases till after the Suika Fortress yearly challenge is over.

So yes, I still have things I want to throw in, but for right now, what I have should be absolutely sufficient for the game up ahead.

Anyways, time to get the mac version up and then look through the entire raw list once more...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:39:37 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter