Author Topic: Luminous Dream v1.0.1 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame (COMPLETE)  (Read 69821 times)

Zil

Re: Luminous Dream v0.62 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »
I found some more cheese strategies. I'm not sure if some of these are how you're meant to do it or not, but I think they're all cheesy. For the most part it's just standing over the boss and that kind of thing. I wasn't sure how replays are supposed to work in Danmakufu, so I made them all numbered differently. I guess that was unnecessary though.

Silhouette Fantasy seems to be glitched. As the second phase ends the bullets will hit you regardless of what color your shield is. As you can see, the first two phases can be abused, and there may be more further in. I didn't get that far because the glitch I just mentioned kept killing me.

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
I found some more cheese strategies. I'm not sure if some of these are how you're meant to do it or not, but I think they're all cheesy. For the most part it's just standing over the boss and that kind of thing. I wasn't sure how replays are supposed to work in Danmakufu, so I made them all numbered differently. I guess that was unnecessary though.

Silhouette Fantasy seems to be glitched. As the second phase ends the bullets will hit you regardless of what color your shield is. As you can see, the first two phases can be abused, and there may be more further in. I didn't get that far because the glitch I just mentioned kept killing me.
That's odd... the phase end problem you describe was a known issue from 0.61, but I thought I had fixed it. I'll look into it.

As for the rest of these, I'll check it out when I get home tonight, and see what I can do to de-cheese them.

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
Looked through all the cheese point replays!

Yayoi mid nonspell
Looks like I can fix this by having her move a bit further to the left and right.

Gara nonspell 1
Got some ideas for how to fix this attack in general.

Atomic Punch
Hmm... trying to think of ways to fix this one. Any ideas?

Atomic One-Two Punch
Presumedly, whatever I come up with for the other punch will work here, too.

Stage 3 fairies
Hmm, tricky. Maybe if I give the fairies a half-second or so of invincibility when they first appear, and make them fire their bullets in both directions?

Akeno mid nonspell 1
Purple shots going up as well as down?

Yuzuki nonspell
Should be a non-issue once I rework this attack.

Reflection Dimension
Hahahaha, should be easy enough to fix.

Refraction Laser
I've got a pretty good idea of a simple way to fix this one.

Houko nonspell 3
No problem if she just goes a few pixels higher.

Silhouette Fantasy
Interesting. I think I can fix both of these easily enough. I need to tone down bits of this card, though, along with fixing that end-of-phase-2 glitch.

Zil

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »
Gara's first nonspell was one of the attacks I found to be too difficult. It's fine at first, though when she's low on HP she's goes crazy and the attack seemed pretty impossible when that happened. Strangely, you can avoid that by timing it out, when normally I think an attack going nuts like that is the penalty for trying to time it out. (Gengetsu Rape Time comes to mind.) It's also very difficult to hit her with Marisa, which is a problem in many other places as well.

For Atomic Punch, I'm not sure. Since it's a big aimed thing, the natural response is to misdirect it. Since nothing else is going on, you can go pretty far with that. It's kind of the same situation as with Hollow Giant "Wu" from IN. The first thing that comes to mind for fixing it is to reduce the bullets per punch but increase the frequency of the punches, so the player won't have time to fiddle around at the top, and still won't be overwhelmed by doing it properly. Or you could have a few bullets emanating from the boss, so it's not possible to get right next to her. There's alot you can do with it really, so it's your call.

The next one, Atomic One-Two Punch, is really an entirely different problem. That spell is completely static, so the player just has to memorize safespots. You can have memo-spells if you want them of course, but there just happens to be a very easy path through that one.

Making the stage 3 fairies healthier and having them shoot both ways would probably work there.

The rest should be simple fixes, as you said. I haven't looked at the Extra Stage yet, but I intend to. I'll let you know if I find any more exploitable attacks.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:42:00 AM by Zil »

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:03 AM »

New nonspell for Gara gets rid of both the cheesing and trapping issues. Also, more fun.

EDIT: For when you check out the EX stage - yes, I know Mahiru's last card is exploitable. I'll fix it in 0.63.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:29:12 AM by professor_scissors »

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »

Updates to stages 1-3 complete. Gara's rockslide has shadows indicating where the boulders will bounce now. All reported cheese strategies so far have been sealed. Next up is Yuzuki's nonspell, one tweak on Emi, and then it's off to the endboss balancing...

Zil

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:04 PM »
Searchlight Paranoia - It's easier at the top becuase the bullets come from above and the searchlight can't reach you.
Darkness Vortex - I don't think you're supposed to go through the laser like that.
Crystal Shower - I don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it, but if it is the unfairness to Marisa is extreme.
Cascadia - Camembert or Munster, take your pick.
Mirrored Fury - The orange bullets don't really reach the right side. Also the bullets get stuck on/go through the mirrors sometimes. That doesn't really matter though and prevents you from hiding behind them.
Reflection Penta(gram/gon?) - Being in the outermost part is easiest. I'm not sure if that's what your meant to do or not. Also, the name says pentagon when you choose it from the list, but pentagram during the spell.
Shine Buster - Only viable for the first wave, but funny regardless.
Houko Danmaku 2 - Bizarre. Not reliable at all, but it's interesting I guess.

Sorry to keep finding weird stuff, but I guess you should probably know about it.
I take back what I said about Lunatic being impossible. I could possibly do it as Reimu. Marisa is almost unplayable in comparison.

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »
Searchlight Paranoia
Hmm, got a plan for this.

Darkness Vortex
Oops! Have to move the origin point a few pixels out.

Crystal Shower
I've never really liked how this one works. Putting it on the to-fiddle list.

Cascadia
Simple enough, I just gotta randomize it a bit.

Mirrored Fury
Is this really easier than taking it straight?

Reflection Pentagram
I think this is fine, there's no particular intent of where you're supposed to stand for it.

Shine Buster
Gonna leave this one in. It's funny, and fairly harmless.

Houko NS 2
Whoa. How did you find this? No issue, though, I'm gonna be totally reworking this attack.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 04:30:13 AM »
Here's a little something I ran into. I don't know if this is intentional, but apparently the player loses 0.5 power if he/she dies or deathbombs.

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 05:03:15 AM »
Here's a little something I ran into. I don't know if this is intentional, but apparently the player loses 0.5 power if he/she dies or deathbombs.
Yeah, this is a known bug. I'm gonna fix it in 0.63 if I can.

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
Argh, the more I fiddle with it, the more I realize how frustratingly out of alignment the mirrors in Reflection Dimension are. Considering that rotating the mirrors means that the bullets will strike them at a different spot, the math for the targetting is just this side of impossible. No amount of tweaking seems capable of preventing comically obvious cheese spots from emerging on all difficulties. What to do with this thing...

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
v0.63 released.

Full download
Scripts and resources only

Notable updates:

Stage 1
No significant changes.

Stage 2
Yayoi nonspell: De-cheesed.
Gara nonspell 1: Rebuilt from the ground up.
Rocket Punch: De-cheesed on Hard and Lunatic.
Double Rocket Punch: Randomized to prevent memorization.
Landslide: Added indicators of where the rocks are going to bounce.

Stage 3
Akeno mid nonspell 1: De-cheesed.
Stage, post-midboss: Toned down, especially on Lunatic.
False Light: De-cheesed. Toned down on Lunatic.
Ensnaring Whirlpool: De-cheesed on Hard and Lunatic. Life decreased.
Detection Net: Alarm bullets now come from the lantern instead of the circles.

Stage 4
Yuzuki nonspell: Rebuilt.
Waterfall: Heavily retooled.
Hailstorm: Heavily retooled.
Cascade: Randomized to prevent memorization.

Stage 5
Emi nonspell 1: Made less trappy.
Emi nonspell 2: Made less trappy.

Stage 6
Emi nonspell: De-trapped.
Reflection Dimension: Replaced with Hall of Mirrors.
Refraction Laser: Cheese-B-Gone.
Houko nonspell 2: Heavily retooled.
Royal Rainbow: Improved Houko's tracking so that she's easier to shoot.
Silhouette Fantasy: Fixed the bugs involving un-shieldable bullets at the end of Phase 2. De-cheesed Phase 1 on Lunatic. Toned down difficulty a bit on Lunatic, but probably not enough.

General
Increased the power of Marisa's core shot by 25%.
Deathbombing no longer reduces power.
Increased the dropped power items on a lot of bosses.

Still looking for plenty of playtesting. Still looking for texture artist. Probably dropping Overdrive, since it seems that Lunatic is hard enough.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Re: Luminous Dream v0.63 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
Alright, I played the last version of this (Aka before the update) and all I have to say about Lunatic Stage 6 is this

WHAT KIND OF ASS BACKWARDS GAME ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE

These nonspells are ludicrous and the Last Spell is unfuckingdoable.

If these problems haven't been fixed, please work on them.

However, I will say that some of the spells are very unique

For instance, the nonspell which has a six-angle laser option following your position is actually very fun.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:31:00 AM by Esupanitix »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
Alright, I played the last version of this (Aka before the update) and all I have to say about Lunatic Stage 6 is this

1. Go play the most recent version. Edit: Maybe you could explain what you find so ridiculous?
2. I'm sure you haven't played enough. Everything takes practice. You can't expect to capture everything in your first try.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:02:16 PM by XephyrEnigma »
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »

The game I am trying to make is one that I'm specifically taking here to be tested because I don't have a good sense of what's reasonable for Lunatic difficulty. Balancing the difficulty in any one-man game project is extremely difficult - the more you play it, the easier everything seems, because you're used to understanding how it operates in your own head, since you're the one who made it. Difficulty balance is only possible with the help of players like you, especially since I don't play other Touhou games on Lunatic very often.

I strongly advise getting 0.63, which specifically tones down the difficulty on the last spell and one of Houko's nonspells. If there's more that needs balancing, I'd love some non-shouted specifics as to what parts were unreasonably hard or frustrating and what could best be done to bring them in line with the flow of the rest of the game.

Thank you for your feedback!

Zil

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
Late response here...

The path I had for Mirrored Fury looks a little complicated but works every time. The main thing about it though is that the orange bullets don't reach the right side of the screen, so with Reimu's homing it's much easier over there.

I guess I need to get v0.63 and see what's new. I'll go for a 1cc now that I have some time.

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »
Late response here...

The path I had for Mirrored Fury looks a little complicated but works every time. The main thing about it though is that the orange bullets don't reach the right side of the screen, so with Reimu's homing it's much easier over there.

I guess I need to get v0.63 and see what's new. I'll go for a 1cc now that I have some time.
Aha! I'll put that on the path to fix for 0.64.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
Just tried the extra stage again-much better than the last version I tried.

Random thoughts:
Midboss's last spell is brutal
The whole post-midboss stage part is what is this I don't even bombspam
Some of the nonspells end before the threatening part at full power, none of them are difficult
First survival seems a bit unfair?
Polarizing gates (whatever the one with the laserbox is called), a way of telling the player to go INTO the bullet pile before they're trapped outside would be nice.
Storm Gates is fun but I don't like having to dodge bullets that only just spawned a half second ago.
The last spell...I remember you saying it could be cheesed.  How.  It's brutal, I couldn't figure out how to dodge it.  Thankfully I had 2 lives going into it, so I still 1cced (mostly) blind.

I'll test hard mode next.

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2012, 12:33:42 AM »
Midboss's last spell is brutal
Last one, really? I always had more trouble with the second one, interesting.

The whole post-midboss stage part is what is this I don't even bombspam
This whole segment was sort of an experimental gimmick sequence. If you stand still during the entire red/blue spam sequence, you won't take any damage... maybe it was a bad idea, I dunno.

Some of the nonspells end before the threatening part at full power, none of them are difficult
Which ones in particular end prematurely?

First survival seems a bit unfair?
Will look into it.

Polarizing gates (whatever the one with the laserbox is called), a way of telling the player to go INTO the bullet pile before they're trapped outside would be nice.
Will look into it.

Storm Gates is fun but I don't like having to dodge bullets that only just spawned a half second ago.
Maybe if I cram the gates a bit closer together to leave more room in the outer gaps?

The last spell...I remember you saying it could be cheesed.  How.  It's brutal, I couldn't figure out how to dodge it.  Thankfully I had 2 lives going into it, so I still 1cced (mostly) blind.
I was talking about the last card in the midboss battle. And yeah, Aurora Blaze is too hard and too random. I need to fiddle with it a fair bit.

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:28 AM »
Actually I think I know a way to make the second half of the EX stage more inuitive as a puzzle and less bomb-spammy. Will update in 0.64.

Zil

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2012, 02:02:04 AM »
So I went through and checked a few things...

Nice fix on Akeno's nonspell.
Searchlight Paranoia can still be done from the top of the screen.
Darkness Vortex may need more health or something. If you follow her the whole time it ends very soon.
Atomic Puch still has a fairly trivial approach. Lanes open for you and you just go left and right. It would take forever as Marisa. That was a clever idea to prevent the player from hugging the boss though.
The double punch is now random, so that's good.
Royal Rainbow has a weird trick. As you can see, I suck at it, though I got it going for a bit. With practice a skilled player might be able to abuse that. Making the bullets last just a bit longer before vanishing should eliminate the problem.
If you die or bomb in Typhoon you can pretty much cheese the rest of the spell by going under the "floor" of bullets.
I guess the idea in Crystal Shower is now to avoid the attack completely? It works, but Marisa is gonna have trouble with it.
Houko's nonspell is much improved.
Refraction Laser also seems good now. My only complaint now would be the ghostly lasers are hard to see.
The last spell in the Extra Stage felt unfair. You could be running at full speed and she still launches into you and there's no clear way to prevent it. You already said you were going to look at that one though, so that's good.
I'm not sure what's supposed to be so tough about the second half of the Extra. Those bullets won't shoot from the fairies if you stop shooting and for the end part you just stand still.

I haven't played Marisa or the other stages yet.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:03:37 AM by Zil »

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
Searchlight Paranoia can still be done from the top of the screen.
It barely seems worth the effort now that the spotlight goes up there with you, but I can make the spotlight presence a bit more oppressive at the top.

Darkness Vortex may need more health or something. If you follow her the whole time it ends very soon.
I'll fiddle with this. I wasn't counting on the player hugging that close to the boss.

Atomic Puch still has a fairly trivial approach. Lanes open for you and you just go left and right. It would take forever as Marisa. That was a clever idea to prevent the player from hugging the boss though.
Hrm.

Royal Rainbow has a weird trick. As you can see, I suck at it, though I got it going for a bit. With practice a skilled player might be able to abuse that. Making the bullets last just a bit longer before vanishing should eliminate the problem.
Haha, kinda weird. I'll fix it and also decrease the density a bit, since a lot of people seem to have trouble with this one.

If you die or bomb in Typhoon you can pretty much cheese the rest of the spell by going under the "floor" of bullets.
Easy enough to fix.

I guess the idea in Crystal Shower is now to avoid the attack completely? It works, but Marisa is gonna have trouble with it.
Blargh, still not happy with this thing. To the heavy retooling bench!

Refraction Laser also seems good now. My only complaint now would be the ghostly lasers are hard to see.
Rendering them twice on top of each other seems to clear this up.

I'm not sure what's supposed to be so tough about the second half of the Extra. Those bullets won't shoot from the fairies if you stop shooting and for the end part you just stand still.
The sequence isn't hard at all if you figure that trick out, but there's no real clue to that, so it can be unintuitive if you don't pick up on it. I've got a new schema cooked up for it, though, so that should be fun.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:41:53 PM by professor_scissors »

Zil

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
It barely seems worth the effort now that the spotlight goes up there with you, but I can make the spotlight presence a bit more oppressive at the top.
It doesn't seem to go up there when you do. Near the edges it does but it sinks down across the middle, so you can ignore it from there. You could use ZUN's trick for dealing with things like that, which is to just have the boss shoot thousands of bullets if you get too close to her. Or you could have a second spotlight on/around the boss.

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2012, 11:58:57 PM »
Oh wow, loving the new looks! The sprites are perfect, the water drops made stage 4 a whole new thing XD The revamps are awesome IMO...
Now for the feedback for someone who isn't that skilled in danmaku XD

Gara's first nonspell is a LOT better, and her landslide card is so much better now with the lines showing where the rocks bump~ Her second nonspell is okay in easy, but the difficulty just rockets up in normal...

Akeno... Oh I love her XD Maybe placing a detection circle around Akeno herself would prevent doing the spellcard in the top of the screen... I still think it'd be cooler (and maybe would make the spell a bit harder) if Akeno shot the bullets herself, instead of them coming outta nowhere... It's still funny to me how she's blind, but she always rushes to stay in front of the player XDI know that's so playing Marisa isn't too harder than using Reimu, but yeah...

I noticed that in easy, Mahiru's last spell can be captured by just staying under her, nothing hits you XD Her other spells are pretty great, Waterfall is better now that the extra bullets are a bit random~

I have a thing for mirrors, so Emi is a special someone to me~ Her nonspells are a bit overwhelming... but the rest is great, I like how her spell in stage 6 changed.

Houko improved maaaassively... Her tackle nonspell is great, and the one with the rushing bullets is pretty great too~

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »
I still think it'd be cooler (and maybe would make the spell a bit harder) if Akeno shot the bullets herself, instead of them coming outta nowhere... It's still funny to me how she's blind, but she always rushes to stay in front of the player XDI know that's so playing Marisa isn't too harder than using Reimu, but yeah...
I can see where you're coming from, but making the bullets originate from Akeno would 1) make the actual bullet waves awkwardly uneven, and 2) make it insanely hard to program the Lunatic version, because the bullets would need to know wher Akeno WILL be about 5 seconds in advance. As it is, I'm going to prioritize making life tolerable for Marisa over that bit of consistency.

I noticed that in easy, Mahiru's last spell can be captured by just staying under her, nothing hits you XD Her other spells are pretty great, Waterfall is better now that the extra bullets are a bit random~
Are you using 0.63? If so, the actual bullet distribution is, in fact, random, so that has a chance of working but is far from guaranteed to be safe.

I have a thing for mirrors, so Emi is a special someone to me~ Her nonspells are a bit overwhelming... but the rest is great, I like how her spell in stage 6 changed.
I nerfed her nonspells in 0.63 a bit, but it might not have done the trick.

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2012, 12:49:39 AM »
I can see where you're coming from, but making the bullets originate from Akeno would 1) make the actual bullet waves awkwardly uneven, and 2) make it insanely hard to program the Lunatic version, because the bullets would need to know wher Akeno WILL be about 5 seconds in advance. As it is, I'm going to prioritize making life tolerable for Marisa over that bit of consistency.
Are you using 0.63? If so, the actual bullet distribution is, in fact, random, so that has a chance of working but is far from guaranteed to be safe.
I nerfed her nonspells in 0.63 a bit, but it might not have done the trick.

Yep I downloaded 0.63 and played it :3
Oh yeah I see what you mean~ Maybe a familiar shooting the bullets then? Like a bat or a second light?
So I guess I just got lucky in the last spell then XD

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
Your script (all of them) seems to make danmaufu give some kind of illegible error for me. Idk what is going on...

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »
v0.64 released.

Full download
Scripts and resources only

Overall Game
Dropped Marisa's power down by 4%. Overdid it a bit last time.

Stage 1
No changes.

Stage 2
Fiddled with Rocket Punch, should be even less cheesable now.

Stage 3
No changes.

Stage 4
Redid Crystal Shower completely. Less anti-Marisa now.

Stage 5
No changes.

Stage 6
Made it easier to see the curving lasers on Refraction Laser.
Removed a cheese strategy on Royal Rainbow.

Extra Stage
Totally revamped the second half of the stage.
Beefed up the HP on all of Kyokukou's nonspells.
Made Kusanagi more fair.
Replaced Aurora Blaze with Chain Lightning. Balance is still experimental, but I think this is more workable as a concept than the old final card was.
Changed the song for the boss battle. The original song had been taken down on NicoNico, and I'm uploading videos of the game there, so I figured it'd be best tof ind something I can properly credit.

Next version:
Rebalancing the health on Darkness Vortex.
Guiding the player into the danmaku box in Pole Reversal.
Writing out a proper prologue.
Looking into framework for stage backgrounds and an ending. Where do you draw something to make it appear above the HUD?

flandreremilia8709 - gibberish error or Japanese error? If it's the latter, I might be able to decipher it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:27:39 PM by professor_scissors »

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Luminous Dream v0.64 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
ObjEffect_SetLayer(Yourobjecthere, 8 ) should make any Effect Object appear above everything, even the frame.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Re: Luminous Dream v0.64 - Full-length Danmakufu fangame
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
ObjEffect_SetLayer(Yourobjecthere, 8 ) should make any Effect Object appear above everything, even the frame.
Thanks! Got an ending image rendering above the frame but below the event text frame, so I don't need to store every line of ending dialogue as an image. Now I just need the actual art...