Author Topic: Creative Musings and Inspiration (Ideas thread)  (Read 120464 times)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Creative Musings and Inspiration (Ideas thread)
« on: April 22, 2009, 03:15:11 AM »
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/442020/

[23:11] ?????: What does lavos have to do with flandre?
[23:11] E-Nazrin: ... actually, Flandre WOULD make more sense.
[23:12] E-Nazrin: That's Rumia.

-> Flandre and Lavos, bff
There was something here once. Wonder what...

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Re: Creative Musings and Inspiration (Ideas thread)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:03:05 AM »
Actually I tried creating this thread yesterday when it failed with a 404.

Oh well.

Here is what I am discussing about lately that is fully tentative.
All I need is refinement and I need some tips on it on what you think. Don't give me a "yeah, go ahead, that sounds good" I need to know what you think of an OC, an original character, story, background etc.

here we go

The year was Gensokyo Calendar 290 years since Meiji (GC 290) The outside world is around 2106 AD, and the world has evolved much greater than any development during the earlier 21st century. The 22nd century is a world filled with plastic and metal, a concrete jungle that is cast with steel and mechanics.

Down below Gensokyo, is the city now called Shinjuku City. Rather than a former district it once was, with the exploding population there is a need to continuously build upwards. What was formerly a street is now a giant building, a superstructure housing some 20 million people within its hyper-dome. Life support, food, shopping, business, holidays, are all done inside this super structure.

Outside, with the world population finally grown over to 13billion, it no longer has any space left for the human species to harvest crops and what's not. The world has lost all aspects of culture, religion and nature. It is a dire place and everyday, super builders in the forms of machines continuously build islands in the seas, in hopes of curbing the ever necessary need for expansion of the human race.

However, today, Japan may just receive a few new mountain ranges and a few forests.

2 weeks ago, an old shrine mistress has died, her name was Reimu Hakurei, the last of the Bloodliners of the Hakurei Blood. Further to the next week, a woman called Marisa Kirisame has too succumbed to old age in Gensokyo, the great mage, protector of Gensokyo has passed on.

They both left a legacy, but no children.

The Hakurei Border weakens, and the gravitational field is getting wobbly. A youkai sets out with 4 of the ones who know them best to search for inheritors of the great task to keep the Hakurei Border floating and Gensokyo from falling to crush down on them.

A task long delayed, now demands the most out of them as they search for the Hakurei and Kirisame descendants, all of them whom have no longer practiced the arts since a hundred years ago.

A time comes, and 5 people gathered to save Gensokyo from certain death.

They are Yukari Yakumo, Alice Margatroid, Sanae Kotiya (Deified humans age graciously), Remilia Scarlet, Morichika Rinnosuke.

Can Gensokyo be saved with a short 2 weeks? Or will it crash down to the super metropolis below, causing millions to die and destable the new generation of the world?

Trouble does not just brew on two ends, two mighty powers now clash in Gensokyo, and their goal was similiar, they want out. They are possibly willing to sacrifice Gensokyo for it. These two are none other than Mokou Fujiwara and Kaguya Houraisan. They will stop at nothing to break past the impenetrable barrier of the Hakurei.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Cassie

• By Seventh Holy Scripture
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
Well, like I suggested to the above poster, this idea is good ^_^

I have a new spell card invention. Courtesy of Gensokai's Rika, made of polynylon exterior with stylish edges, and with a computer chip interior, being 2 millimetres thick in total, this card is called "TS Card" or "Transition Spells Card" for full name.

TS cards hold a certain number of magical spells per card and can channel inert magical energy like a normal spell card. Unlike a normal spell card, it doesn't go away with one use, and furthermore, TS cards can be used to add firing patterns into the on-board computer of Rika's lethal invention : DanmaGear Goukami.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:42:56 PM by Cassie »
Cassie "You know.... I think you lost it. We're here ten times"
Lily "Have you counted the time we've been here for the first time?"
Cassie "I did! Ok?"

Lost

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
To A-F:

An OC is fine dandy for me so as long it doesn't step into the whole -sue thing, but I doubt that'd be the case. Overall the opinion about having an OC is up in the air really since some don't mind while others outright regect the idea regardless. Maybe some snippets of information and dialog about the character without giving much of the story away would provide a better stand point for others to comment about the OC you have in mind.

There is something else I wanted to comment on, but I may be looking into it too much so I'll have to wait and see.

Hmmm, there are a lot of ideas that float around in my mind, but my laziness and my lack of creative writing skills get the better of me.

I've always wanted to write about a popularity/talent/danmaku contest to be held in Gensokyo to see which family (I guess you can say that?) is better: The Scarlet Devil Mansion or the residents of Makai?

The match-ups are perfect too:

Shinki vs. Remilia

Yumeko vs. Sakuya

Sara vs. Meiling

Alice vs. Patchouli or alternatively Yuki & Mai vs. Patchouli & Koakuma or even Yuki/Mai & Luize vs. Patchouli & Koakuma

PC-98 Alice vs. Flandre

Take it even a step further if Luize wasn't matched earlier: Luize vs. Cirno/Daiyousei.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
Had I not got myself stuck in the current timeline path I have, that thing known as RiG. I'd have liked to made a story that followed the other path that could have occurred at the end of OLaD.

What would happen if Mima killed Reimu at the end of SoEW and reincarnated herself, but dooming Gensokyo's existance as a result?

The idea also goes to other games, what happens if *enter game villain* won instead?

NekoInc Likes Birds

• Flying like a bird
  • BIRD.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
Premise, in its entirety:

Anyone wonder why Marisa's power seems to use mushrooms?

Poor Koakuma decides to find out for Patchouli.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBf1IgRZ7PU&feature=related The results include, but are not limited, to BRUTAL.

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
Quote from: A-F
All I need is refinement and I need some tips on it on what you think. Don't give me a "yeah, go ahead, that sounds good" I need to know what you think of an OC, an original character, story, background etc
Personally, I don't mind OCs, so long as the story is well written and keeps me interested. I've never had that many problems with OCs because for one it gives a us fresh new character to look at aside from the ones we already know up and down and left to right.

Alot of folks gripe about OCs because most make the sudden accusation that ALL OCs created are Mary-Sues (or at least will fall into such a category when the story progresses and the OC in question gains a power that's over the top), this isn't nessacarily true if the author can regulate the power/involvment of the character to a reasonable level. There are even some stories with a likeable OC in them, folks just over look them because most fanfiction containing OCs are drowned out by the dozens of Mary-Sues that surface.

Not sure if this will help, but it's what I think on the matter.

-Idea Tyme-
Well, in the next update for Mystic Mutation I'm currently debating if I should have
Spoiler:
Yumemi using the Hypervessel against a T-Rex. I could use the dinosaur itself as a sort of 'new recruit' for the team Yumemi is pulling together so far,
but I dunno, everything else I got planned out it's just this aspect that's bugging me.

Also Rika maybe a next appearance if I can implement said appearance smoothly into whatever chapter she'll drop down in.

*Also spoiler tag'd for those who didn't read Mystic Mutation (which I'm sure is alot).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:34:09 PM by Demonlord OwlBear »

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
A poster on my site referred to creating OCs as an "unforgivable sin of fan works"; I felt that making them a. non-issues in terms of power/story-importance (Mika and Midori are Nameless Bunnies who got named) and b. only-to-be-expected (who here seriously thinks that Reimu's going to get to eighty without finding a successor to the Hakurei Shrine? Hence, Satsuki Hakurei), but I guess some people will raise a bit of a stink no matter what you do.

NekoInc Likes Birds

• Flying like a bird
  • BIRD.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »

Well, in the next update for Mystic Mutation I'm currently debating if I should have
Spoiler:
Yumemi using the Hypervessel against a T-Rex. I could use the dinosaur itself as a sort of 'new recruit' for the team Yumemi is pulling together so far,
but I dunno, everything else I got planned out it's just this aspect that's bugging me.

Spoiler:
As long as it's a T-Rex loli, I like, at the least.

Dan-Heron

• Evil Chibi-Dan -doesn't bite-
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
that thought skirts between the border of adorable and creepy XD
so much evil it's poisonously healthy!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:11:01 PM »

All I need is refinement and I need some tips on it on what you think. Don't give me a "yeah, go ahead, that sounds good" I need to know what you think of an OC, an original character, story, background etc.

I'm of the opinion that the O.C.-hate is completely irrational.  If the story fails from a "Mary-Sue" type O.C., it will fail the same way with a non-original one.  Just remember to preserve the essence of "story" and I think your work will be fine.  I'm interested to see what results of your premise.

Spoiler:
As long as it's a T-Rex loli, I like, at the least.

Spoiler:
by a T-Rex standard loli or a humanoid standard loli?  10 ft Rex can still be a loli...

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:29:24 PM »
As you probably know, I hate OCs since practically never used right and turn into horrible horrible overpowered mary-sue types, or they end up stealing the show from what people ultimately read fanworks for, seeing and identifying characters they know.

In before, so why did you make Haru, idort.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 10:38:35 PM »
so why did you make Haru, idort

Also I should maybe work on that OMG CHADO WOULD BE JEALOUS Kanako vs Gengetsu story. Problem is, doujin or fiction? Hmm.

But I should probably postpone everything until after my IB exams.

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »
so why did you make Haru, idort

Also I should maybe work on that OMG CHADO WOULD BE JEALOUS Kanako vs Gengetsu story. Problem is, doujin or fiction? Hmm.

But I should probably postpone everything until after my IB exams.

:VVVVV

Did you even read RiG like you said you would? :(

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 11:01:35 PM »
Did you even read RiG like you said you would? :(

I will read it when I read it.

:V

I really will, though. Just not until exams are done. Please have mercy ;_;

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 02:22:57 AM »
OCs are alright as long as:

a) They're not overpowered, unless they're the boss-of-the-day that Reimu and Marisa have to beat.

b) They don't take most of the screentime. By definition any Earth Rabbit besides Tewi, any Lunar Rabbit besides Reisen, any named Fairy Maid, any named Zombie Fairy etc. would have to be an OC but they can't steal the spotlight since they're bit characters.

As always, good writing trumps BOTH (a) and (b), so I'm willing to give Haru a pass on that count  :P

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 05:16:37 AM »
I've been a bit worried about Mika and Midori's thus-far-final appearance, now that you mention it ... though I suppose it would be interesting to do something focusing on some "really weak characters", to whom Rumia would be about as powerful as, say, Alice or Patchouli would be to Reimu, with Mika and Midori as the "playable characters" ...

I also have, um, a few conflicting ideas for what to do in the "60 Years" line; either it would make Satsuki Hakurei redundant, or she could take the spotlight along with Marisa and Alice's daughter (they made a human-sized Independent Doll) and be like "tested" by some of the more powerful youkai to see if they'll be anywhere near as good as Reimu and Marisa, kind of thing ...

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 05:28:51 AM »
As you probably know, I hate OCs since practically never used right and turn into horrible horrible overpowered mary-sue types, or they end up stealing the show from what people ultimately read fanworks for, seeing and identifying characters they know.

In before, so why did you make Haru, idort.

well, I don't intend to give it a bad ending, so some degree of power will be involved as in the end of the day, what we know about Gensokyo must be applied.

Here is one thing:
What is Gensokyo famed for?
- Danmaku
- Girls
- A border of fantasy and reality mixed
- It is sealed away in another dimension that co-exists with our own

So, because of the background, I think you cannot eventually somehow introduce an OC that has no power. Not Mary-sue regardless that being aside, the OC has to have something that makes his or her value in the entire plot of things to really work you know.

Oh by the way, I haven't commented on Mima's fic at all simply because I feel ballsy doing it, one can even say overawe is what I am feeling at its rich content. So erm...nah, there is nothing constructive for me to say on RiG so I rather not and just enjoy the work itself.

---------

On the story itself, I plan to introduce two OCs, and one of them will be a male.

Take note, the male is Marisa's counterpart.

Background for the OC - 19/F/Natsuki Hakurei (her real name is Asakawa [her father])

A dropout from the Metropolitan High School, who in a bid to escape mundane city life she seeks a purpose that is out of the "Hyper Megalopolis" that is Shinjuku City which consists of some 30 giant buildings governing all aspects of human life and activities for something more 'natural'.

She flew to a place in the Middle East, where today war is still strife as bids for power continue to fight amongst themselves and create unstable governance of a once beautiful people guided by culture and religion. She became a volunteer working for the Red Saviors (Red Cross obvious reference) and has a kind heart.

She is genuinely wanting to help others, but something in her plagues her a lot, why does the memory of her mother's death plague her so deeply?

"Please...never forget the Hakurei name, you may be your abusive father's child, but your legacy is one guided by destiny..." she said on her deathbed.

Since then, the kindhearted Natsuki has never failed to try to find her roots, but history has long covered her search in tons of unnecessary data, and with whatever little education she has, she is unable to find her past.

She is skilled in medical fields, since helping the refugees at a relief camp is her work, she is good at wrapping up wounds and the sort. Her sense of justice is almost childish, but she knows when to stop and when to hurl herself forward. Natsuki has very little savings and her father forbids her to see other men, which she still luckily, has not find a right one for herself yet.

An opportunity comes, and a man presented himself to her, his name is Rinnosuke, and he dresses in the strangest looking duds ever, with a pair of specs that are long out of date, and a get-up that resembles a fictionious character from a comic. He spoke in the language that Japan has long forgotten to speak, traditional Japanese.

-----

OC 21/M/Sora Kirisame/ (Miyamoto is his real name)

A successful young entrepreneur who views money as important as his life, owns a large business at a tender age of 21 running a chain of instant feed restaurants for busy people of the every bustling city life.

The business is in nature a restaurant, but very different with people walking in, thinking of what features they want for their food, recorded, ordered and machines process them into what appear to be gruel and the sorts and pumped into their mouths. It will taste the finest of food, but quickly so no waiting time, maximum efficiency.

In the future of Japan's megalopolis, Sora made it good by starting his own business. He wanted to evade his father's job, working as a librarian in the inner city district (low level access quarters) where crime rates are absurdly high in the National Archives. In the world where digital format is as widely used and nearly every book has been archived into digital wordings in databases, only he is holding on to the existence of a library that no one ever visits.

Down in this low activity zone where criminals gather, the library stands and walks a fragile balancing line to survive, in a bitter extension to take up more space as unused books come from sources all over, a fragile old man archives them all in his head, waiting for the day. Sora does not want to inherit this task, even when his father asked him with tears in his eyes not to abandon the mysterious 'work of the Kirisame' for the new and souless work above.

Sora is a good natured guy, but he cannot stand poverty, he hates the stink of the poor. Having been poor all his life until he learned a good deal of business, he understands all about the painful interactions of being poor. Proper healthcare evades him when he was young, it is a miracle he survived at all from a Malaria infection, something that should have been gone from the glossary of diseases long conquered by mankind.

He wants power, he wants respect, he wants all the girls he can lay his hands on, and he knows he will get it. He must continue his path, but somewhere inside, his crazed old man's quote of a 'Kirisame' made him feel uneasy, as if someone is calling out to him.

When a beautiful green haired woman appeared to him, introducing herself as Sanae, he jumps on the chance hoping to leave his seed inside her womb, yes, he is an animal in a human skin. He agrees to the task rather easily, taking Sanae by surprise, what future would he carve with his illicit desires and rotten mindset?
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 05:31:53 AM »
repostan this

I don't have much fleshed out just yet, but basically it's a Touhou parody of Zeta Gundam - both a follow-up to and total retcon of that best-left-unnamed doujin I did a while back.

Starring the SSiB girls and casting the main Touhou crew as the antagonists, it ought to be incredibly subversive.  Moreso because I'll be contrasting the heavily-wrought drama of Gundam with the droll, flippant tone of Touhou dialogue for irony.

Aaaaaaaaanyway.  Back to practicing drawing mecha.

p.s. i dunno how i'm gonna get around reisen ii's lack of a surname
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:53:25 AM by MaullarMaullar »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 05:57:08 AM »
Maullar!

Will I finally have the honor of seeing new Touhou work from you?

Following your blog by the way.

----

Anyway, to add to the story I posted above:

Both OCs have no power as of yet, only they carry the last remnants of a pure and young Hakurei and Kirisame bloodline, naturally, knowing Gensokyo, Yukari could probably spirit them away to the realm.

The only problem is really just willingness, and then learning the ropes. I wonder if Gensokyo will get saved. Here is hoping someone would tell me some ideas in how this works.

Will our OC acquire the powers true to the maiden of the Hakurei and keep the border floating?

Will our male OC become the next defender of Gensokyo and abandon his lust for gold and money?

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

Anyway, to add to the story I posted above:

Both OCs have no power as of yet, only they carry the last remnants of a pure and young Hakurei and Kirisame bloodline, naturally, knowing Gensokyo, Yukari could probably spirit them away to the realm.

The only problem is really just willingness, and then learning the ropes. I wonder if Gensokyo will get saved. Here is hoping someone would tell me some ideas in how this works.

Will our OC acquire the powers true to the maiden of the Hakurei and keep the border floating?

Will our male OC become the next defender of Gensokyo and abandon his lust for gold and money?

To be fair, Reimu doesn't develop most of her powers until after the PC-98 time line.  If you want, Natsuki could develop slowly like that as she eventually gains enough proficiency to be great.  As for "willingness," she's the type to that helps without delay, right?  If so, all she needs is time (ergo the problem).

As for Sora's case, lust and greed make for some impressive motivational forces when applied correctly.  Keep it and see where he ends up going.  Or have him tone down a little as a sign of maturity.  It works either way.

Everything else falls to character dynamics.  That's how I see it at least.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Theme: Humans are able to change, and thus able to become more powerful more easily. However, youkai who don't start out relatively powerful have a much greater difficulty increasing in power without a direct boost from someone else (c.f. Chen becoming Ran's shikigami).

I'll probably use this in my "60 Years" storyline. Maybe in conjunction with an idea I had for a story in which several youkai (mostly from Team ⑨) do become much more powerful on their own.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:11:55 PM »
p.s. i dunno how i'm gonna get around reisen ii's lack of a surname

Reisen Mk. II.

Mark. Of course.

Or you could subvert the hell out of her last name and call her "Reisen Deux" or something.

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »
Or you could subvert the hell out of her last name and call her "Reisen Deux" or something.

Does this mean that "Inaba" is no longer an acceptable surname?

Reisen Inaba the Second
too unoriganl, maybe?

mad

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »
Little did he know, the shed was near Yuyuko, who was in a role-play of Dune. As a sandworm.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 11:54:42 PM »
Kaguya finds Reisen's revolver. She challenges Mokou to Russian roulette. Tewi blatantly fixes the game to win a bet.

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 03:56:03 AM »
Theme: Humans are able to change, and thus able to become more powerful more easily. However, youkai who don't start out relatively powerful have a much greater difficulty increasing in power without a direct boost from someone else (c.f. Chen becoming Ran's shikigami).

I'll probably use this in my "60 Years" storyline. Maybe in conjunction with an idea I had for a story in which several youkai (mostly from Team ⑨) do become much more powerful on their own.

A point here: Nowhere has it ever been mentioned that Youkai lack the potential to become more powerful. All canon says about most of them is that they just don't try, no matter how much it may seem to benefit them. Marisa is the only one who canonically puts any effort into improving her talents and she arguably has more firepower than even Reimu, certainly a lot more than the likes of stage 1 and 2 boss Youkai. Laziness and contentment with one's current place in life are apparently intrinsic traits of Youkai, hence Yukari's laziness being described as "Youkai-like".

Not trying to influence your own interpretation here, just stating the canonical position.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 04:14:52 AM »
Well, it fits it just as well. I never said they lacked the potential -- these "enlightened youkai" have basically merely gotten off their asses and applied themselves, really ... ;)

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 05:06:48 AM »
Kaguya finds Reisen's revolver. She challenges Mokou to Russian roulette. Tewi blatantly fixes the game to win a bet.

KRIEGSAFFE! WHEREFORE ART THOU MINE BROTHER?