Author Topic: some other guy's attempt at a sengoku rance game?  (Read 6778 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
some other guy's attempt at a sengoku rance game?
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »
I'm sure some of you have played Sengoku rance, and many of you probably already know of this but if not:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/11/01/historical-figures-turned-into-anime-girls-for-new-pc-game

Imma just copy-paste what I said on the forums I found out about this game:

This game looks very interesting, and it also very obviously INTENTIONALLY improving on/inspired from/ripping off Sengoku rance. Heck, even that male character has the same smug look on his face ffs.

But yeah, Sengoku rance is actually fairly good as a single player turn based conquer the world strategy game. It particularly is excellent for replay value since your end game score (based on time, optional content cleared, etc) is used as currency towards MANY NG+ bonuses that you can't possibly afford even half of before multiple NG+s, a VERY cool feature that more games should use IMO.

But as houk suspects.. it really really really is flat out painful to play. The main character is a total douche-wad, and I'm a effing prude believe it or not. Playing as a sexually obsessed immoral selfish monster is just not my cup of tea, and I just couldn't play it again despite wanting to try the NG+ system. I can tolerate some eroge in a game, I prefer not to have it, but I'll look past it for gameplay content. But if it's even HALF as bad as Rance was, ugh.

I hope to god it's not as bad as that though.

Anyway some observations.. the art seems much better than it did in Rance. I hope that means the eroge portions will be more tasteful too. Plus there's a certain cool factor that all the girls are moeifications of famous history figures.

Re: some other guy's attempt at a sengoku rance game?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Wait, since when was Marco Polo Yuuka(Or possibly Yukari with green hair)?

It looks like it could go either way, be really good or really bad. But I've never played Rance so I wouldn't be able to compare the two.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:13:14 AM by Desu_Cake »

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:22:05 PM »
I really really liked Rance, so I'll probably have to play this. Doubt it'll be as funny and depraved, but still.
Looking forward to it, thanks for posting this!

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
Sounds bizarre.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:10:59 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
Yeah I tried bigbang age but it seemed to have more things from Rance I did NOT like than the things I did.
As mentioned tons of sex, which was tolerable thankfully since the mc wasn't as bad, but I still prefer less. It also seemed to have an even greater amount of "guide dang it", and rance had more of that than pretty much any other game ever. The battles didn't interest Me as much since they were heroes only instead of troops. Plus income and expenses didn seem as important (part of why I like tbs game's) due to the same troop issue thing. Plus many territories didn't even have income. So there want really any need to think about what territories you need most since it was more like, get that one with income, then finish off it's owner now that they're pissed.

Not to slam the game, it's really not bad, I'm just a critic is all =p. I never got around to finishing it, but if it has rance's ng+ that would be sweet. I also liked the amount of story given to all the badguys/enemies.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:28:08 AM »
Sounds bizarrely complicated. :V
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:11:46 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
Ugh I wanted the tank company lady but I didn't guide play so she got murdered. eff it all to hell. As for income being more important in hard. I don't think you understand. Bear in mind I haven't played for over a year so my memory isn't great. But my point was that income and money in that game didn't actually really seem to do much of anything but let you pay upkeeps on your characters that you already "have". Unlike rance, you couldn't spend excess money to increase their troop sizes (cuz they don't have troops), or get better equipment (or could you? I think there may have been equipment, but buying it wasn't really a regular thing like most rpg/strategy games. It was more like buying artifacts in homm. just an occasional money sink).

I found the battle strategy was fairly no brainer too. I mean you basically had only a handful of characters to use against a certain enemy. If they were long range, you used a short range with high evade or counter or whatever it was. If they were short range, you used medium, if medium, long. Unless they had high evasion/counter themselves, then you sent a "tank" after them, until you could finish them with your long range or whatever. Y'know? Really felt like just rocks paper scissors. But with rance there were more than just 3 strategies pretty much.