Author Topic: Abilities - What would you like to see?  (Read 73380 times)

Re: Abilities - What would you like to see?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 01:57:25 AM »
Do we have teleportation yet?

Sakuya, Reimu, Yukari, Mokou, and probably more are capable of 'Teleportation'

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »
Sakuya, Reimu, Yukari, Mokou, and probably more are capable of 'Teleportation'
Pshaw, all fake teleportation. Komachi is the only one with what looks to be real teleportation.

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
Pshaw, all fake teleportation. Komachi is the only one with what looks to be real teleportation.

Depends how you define teleportation.
If you define it as moving from one point in space to another instantly, all of them count (except maybe Mokou, not sure where she's shown to teleport), except Komachi who would still take a (very short) time to move across the contracted distance.
If you define it as moving from point A to point B without actually crossig the distance between them, only Reimu and Yukari would count, and Reimu only in terms of game mechanics.
If you define it as dematerializing in one spot and rematerializing in another, there probably aren't any yet.

Plus, that Komachi image looks to me more like the standard "this character is moving too fast to see" manga thing, in which case Youmu would count.

(Edit: PMiSS describes Yukari's ability to gap into Marisa's house as teleportation, if that's worth anything)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:55:52 AM by haoreos2 »

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
How about a youkai who can understand all languages? Like a universal translator.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »
@haoreos2:
I normally define as moving point A to point B instantly.
That would not apply to Sakuya, because she does not move from point A to point B instantly, she stops time, moves to an area, then resumes time.
It would not apply to Reimu, because she also does not move from point A to point B instantly, well I guess she does in the games, but
they never tell you how. If it is like Yukari, see bottom.
Ditto for Yukari, because as you have seen in SWR, it is tiresome for her to err gap? and she seems to have to travel, even if she seemingly
teleports in the view of the victim.
I have no idea why Mokou is listed, Kaguya maybe, but Mokou?

As I have never seen anyone else do movements like what Komachi did, I assume that was teleport. Even in Silent Sinner in Blue where
Remilia circles around the moon, you see them in the end of their movement and stuff. I guess a better example would be when Marisa
did the Double Spark. Komachi simply disappears in this one. Also, I don't think Komachi is known to be a super fast character or anything.

Angelfire

• Oh, you can't help that.
  • Mostly everyone's mad here.
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:59 PM »
An interesting power would be manipulation of technology. It'd certainly be interesting to see how Nitori would react to it.
Without beginning or end

The ring stretches on into the infinite.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »
Manipulation of light, would be cool.

Or maybe even the power to Manipulate magma and lava, then we'd have a Volcanic youkai.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
What's teleporting and what's not.

I think you guys are being too critical. Komachi can decrease the distance between points to zero, so she'd only need to take one step to reappear several miles away. That would look like teleporting to others, and it essentially is. Sakuya can control space by extension of time, so she could rip open wormholes or something similar to teleport, without needing to stop time. If Yukari's gaps aren't teleportation, I don't know what is. She goes from A to B instantly and harmlessly. It shouldn't matter if you use portals or not. Also,

Ditto for Yukari, because as you have seen in SWR, it is tiresome for her to err gap? and she seems to have to travel, even if she seemingly
teleports in the view of the victim.

When has she ever found it tiresome? Unless you're talking about how much she is a sleepyhead, but then you could say everything tires her.
The distance that she travels between gaps would also be minimal to the point of not mattering. While Reimu has to fly outside of reality from A to B, taking a lot of time and not being real teleportation, Yukari makes wormholes that really do bring you from A to B right away. After all, she can make the 'gap' between two locations vanish, essentially doing what Komachi does.

So far Yuuka, Mugetsu and Gengetsu seem to be the only traditional teleporters, as they actually vanish and reappear somewhere else. But that doesn't mean the other mentioned characters don't count as teleporters. They just use a different method.

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
Manipulation of Common Sense.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
How can manipulate common sense if there's none to be had in Gensokyo? :V

Spoiler:
yeah, lame ass joke. I know.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
What I love most about this topic is that "original" characters have already been made to use these abilities.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »
How about a youkai who can understand all languages? Like a universal translator.

This is the best suggestion yet. If we have a translator youkai, that means ZUN would need to create at least one foreign cast member to join Gensokyo. There could be some sort of incident - any one will do - and of course everyone blames the immigrant, right? Only when they round on the immigrant youkai, she tries to explain that it's all a misunderstanding but no one can understand what she's saying. And being an immigrant youkai, she of course has a huge family1 who will back her up in a fight. Who, oh who, will step in and clear up this misunderstanding once and for all, and save Gensokyo from the ruin of total war? Why, universal translator youkai, that's who.
1 Not meant to be taken seriously; I'm an immigrant myself. We foreigners enjoy playing with the stereotypes.

EDIT: OK, the more I think about this idea, the more I feel like scripting it. Here's a very, very rough sketch:

Stage 1: PC is all "I can't believe [incident] happened! I'm so angry, and I bet that foreigner who just moved in, the one I've been hearing everyone talking about, is behind it all! Just wait till I get my hands on her!" PC fights fairies. Stage 1 boss appears, who's all "Oh I know where the foreigner lives, but I'm not telling you ... unless you fight me!" Fight ensues, PC wins, Stage 1 boss is all "ugh ... just head towards that mountain pass near the border".

Stage 2: PC travels through mountain pass near the border, fights fairies. Stage 2 boss appears and is all, "hey this is private property" but PC says "I'm after the foreigner who caused [incident]!". Fight ensues, PC wins, travels onwards.

Stage 3: PC is further up the mountains now, fights fairies. Stage 3 boss appears, who says, "but the foreigner is innocent! I know her personally. I can't understand a word she's saying but I know she has a good heart!" PC doesn't care, fight ensues, PC wins. Stage 3 boss is all, "ugh, I can see you won't give up. She lives in that cave on top of that mountain, right at the border."

Stage 4: PC travels up to the cave, fights fairies. Stage 4 boss appears, and her dialogue is indecipherable gibberish, but she appears clearly agitated and frightened, then angry. Fight ensues, PC wins, she decides to see if this youkai has a family.

Stage 5: PC heads further up the mountain, fights fairies. Suddenly, three youkai appear, who resemble the Stage 4 boss and speak the same gibberish. They look pissed. PC is all "uh oh, this must be the family." Fight ensues, a brutal attack from three directions. PC wins, decides to head back down the mountain to gather forces to come back up the mountain and exterminate all the foreigners.

Stage 6: PC heads back down the mountain, fights fairies. Before she even reaches the cave again, Universal Translator Youkai appears. She has with her Stage 4 boss, and the three Stage 5 bosses. Universal Translator Youkai says it's all a misunderstanding. The four foreign youkai speak, and she translates for each of them, as they give a fuzzy description of the person they saw who really is behind [incident]. At this point, PC is given a choice in dialogue responses:

1. "Boy, I feel foolish. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions!"
2. "Yeah, right. That's exactly what a guilty person would say!"

If the PC chooses 1, Universal Translator Youkai will be all, "well, you still have to be punished anyway." Fight ensues, and it's PC vs. Universal Translator Youkai and Stage 4 boss at the same time. At the fight's conclusion, the real person behind [incident] is revealed in Extra.
If the PC chooses 2, Universal Translator Youkai will be all, "you need a lesson in multiculturalism!" Fight ensues, and it's PC vs. Universal Translator Youkai, the Stage 4 boss, and all three Stage 5 bosses at the same time. At the fight's conclusion, the real person behind [incident] is revealed in Extra.

In both Extras, the real cause of [incident] is Yukari, who wanted to teach PC to appreciate beings from other parts of the world. And because she was bored.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:54:29 PM by Tengukami no Futo »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zil

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
I have no idea why Mokou is listed, Kaguya maybe, but Mokou?
Mokou teleports all over the place in StB, when casting Exalted Personage "Advice of Saint Germain." In fact it's probobly one of the best examples of teleporting in the entire series, along with the various LLS characters.

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 01:13:58 AM »
@Zil: ah, never played StB that far. Could just be game mechanics in any case.
@OkashiiKisei: Yukari's dialogue in SWR has her complain about using gaps to mountain climb. Although, personally I interpret that as her teasing everyone else who has to do it manually, since every other instance of it has her doing it effortlessly. As for the teleportation issue, that gets back to what I said about how you define it: you seem to favour the first definition, in which case yes, they all pretty much apply.
@Starxsword: since Sakuya stops time, it's teleportation by that definition to anyone except herself (and anyone else who isn't frozen, I suppose), but I see what you mean. I'll ignore Reimu since it's debatable whether it's just a game mechanic thing or an actual ability. As for Komachi, it doesn't really matter if she's fast or not, because she can constrict the distance between two points:
Say point A is where she starts, and point B is a mile away. You could get there in a second if you move a mile in a second, but in Komachi's case, it would be more like reducing the distance to one meter, and then taking a step. She isn't technically moving really fast, but it's effectively the same thing. IMO Yukari would be the only one who would count, since the rest of them wouldn't be able to get inside a sealed room, for example.

I think an interesting twist on it could be if the character could teleport things she isn't touching- for example, suddenly moving the position of the character or bullets (similar to some of Reisen's spellcards) during a battle.

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 02:30:41 AM »
@Zil: ah, never played StB that far. Could just be game mechanics in any case.

Excuses!

Mokou is stated as having learned many types of magic. So she's not exactly a one trick pony.

As for teleporting... *coughsmurasacough*

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 02:31:32 AM »
@OkashiiKisei:
I guess I got this from her SWR dialogue. I assume she is traveling in her gap during this time.
Yukari: ..Huff, never thought mountain climbing would become so difficult at this age.
Oh, here's another unworking fellow.
Komachi: Whoa, you just came out of nowhere.
To the perspective of the victim, yes, that would be teleport, but not to the perspective of the user.

But Sakuya cannot do that, at least according to SSiB. If she could teleport, she would have been able to get out of her knife trap.

@haoreos2:
Yeah, that is what I meant. Teleport is instantaneous travel regardless of perspective, so freezing time and moving would not
constitute as teleporting.

@Zil:
Well, I stand corrected then.

That would be fun.

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 03:11:59 AM »
Excuses!
Mokou is stated as having learned many types of magic. So she's not exactly a one trick pony.
As for teleporting... *coughsmurasacough*

True, true. It's entierly possible teleporting (at least, a short range one) is a learnable type of magic. I was playing ten desires just now, and the stage 5 midboss seemed to warp away after being beaten, too.

I kinda like the idea of a character with the power to distract. Thematically, you could have a high proportion of theatrical spell cards, and mechanically your ability to use focus mode for the fight could be disabled. Could also make for some interesting interactions with Youmu, or characters that already have little ability to focus, like Cirno.

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:42 AM »
Heh, Cirno will have a field day with that. Think of what the Danmaku will be like in her point of view.

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
Manipulation of Superstitions...
BUt Yuugi,Sanae, and Nue kinda have that power...

B?t V?n Tử

• 天下第一妖怪 - Thi?n Hạ Đệ Nhất Y?u Qu?i
  • 謀事在人, 成事在天 - Mưu sự tại nh?n, th?nh sự tại thi?n
    • [LAME] - Final project in my HTML class - shamelessly stole from touhou wiki
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2011, 01:26:01 AM »
Mine would be Manipulation of Clones, Space and Forms (altogether).

Basically, I was thinking of a (male) character whose occupation is either a spy or an information dealer, someone who buy and sell information but in this case he only sell, doesn't need to buy any (explained later).

His ability will be like creating any clone (Manipulation of Clones) out of no where (Manipulation of Space) and the clone can have any form either generic or copied version (Manipulation of Forms).

The Manipulation of Clones will allow him to create a nearly unlimited amount of clones. Most of his clones will be independent but powerless, in other word, they wont have his abilities unless he allows so (he will be weaken depending on what ability he allows the clone to use and to what degree). The clone memories will be a partial copied memories from the his original-self, and he can add more or erase their memories depending on situation (to counter-act someone like Satori) .All clones are linked together like a big network (just imagine him as the main server and each clone is an individual computer with or without a router). If he is in Gensokyo, the information connection to his other clones in the outside world maybe disconnected; even though his clones will be still doing the jobs that he "programmed" them to do, the info may not be transfer to him except with someone's help who has the control over Gensokyo Boundary like Yukari.

The Manipulation of Space is the same as ability to teleport (it is not as good as Sakuya's Manipulation of Space), but he can travel to any place excluding Yukari's gap (if he knows its existance). However, his teleport is not instant even though it can be extremely fast: the further the distance (calculated in 3 normal dimensions), the longer it takes to teleport there (i didnt think of the formula to calculate the time yet for now). As for virtual dimensions like the fourth dimensions which is called time, he cant do that, his ability only limit to space not time like Sakuya's; that means he cant teleport into Gensokyo if he is at the outside world and vice versa (due to the fact that Gensokyo is like Yukari's Gap, its in another dimensions different from our normal 3 dimensions). As stated above, his clone may or may not be able to teleport. Even though he can transfer memories or information each clone has back and forth among themselves, he cant do so for abilities; he can assign each clone his abilities only when he makes them.

The Manipulation of Forms can have him take any form from a small animal to another humanoid form, even being an invisible. He or his clones (if allowed) can take a form of a normal animal to observer or spy on a target, or take a form of one of the target's close friends or family members to gather info out of him/her, or even better simply be invisible. His clones can only transform back and forth from his original form and the assigned form, unlike him who can transform freely.

As for species, i make him a human, he will age and die like a normal human, but it will be hard to kill him since one cannot identify if that is just another clone of his or not.

I was think of adding the Ability to Completely Take Over a Human Body (some thing like Orochimaru did), so that even when hes about to got old and die, he can simply take another person body (and his memories also) to live on. If he can do that, I assume he will have a large amount of knowledge since he can just take over other body and memories. Well, that ability only limit to normal human who has doesnt have magic ability or something like that (so he cant take over any Touhou girls).

Now for his ability usage in combat... i think its not much, i will leave this to other ppl to be creative. One thing i can think of is: he possible wont be killed in a danmaku battle; you shot, slashed, or knifed him and made sure that he was not breathing, but then you heard his voice and he is right behind you uninjured. I am think of having him using gun, but that only works well at the outside world

Conclusion, his abilities are a mixed of Yuuka's clone, Sakuya's Manipulation of Space, Yukari's Gap to travel and Nue's ability to change forms.

That will be all. Feel free to comment on it.

Zil

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2011, 01:46:41 AM »
A little omnipotent, perhaps? I can dig the doppelganger idea, and the notion of getting weaker by making more of them, but too many abilities at once is, well, too many abilities at once. Actually he seems alot like the various "made of jelly" characters from other places. Kinda like Boo from DBZ, or Sloth from FMA. I'm not saying he's a jelly guy. but they do tend to get those powers: hard to kill, make clones, shapeshift, possess people, etc.

B?t V?n Tử

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2011, 01:51:40 AM »
I think you're right. Maybe be i will reduce to Manipulation of Clones.
Its quite of unique in Gensokyo; Yuuka can create one clone but its mainly for combat. I think using clone to gather info or confusing others is quite fun xD

One more thing, consider hes being human with no magician ability (like Marisa), having thats many ability can be a trade-off

Edit: i think hes becoming a Naruto's rip-off :P
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:55:15 AM by happyhippo2704 »

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:46 AM »
Manipulation of Ash

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2011, 03:23:46 AM »
Manipulation of colloids. Separating things out by defined characteristics would be one of those "huh?" powers that might be really interesting in practice.

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:53 AM »
I think you're right. Maybe be i will reduce to Manipulation of Clones.
Its quite of unique in Gensokyo; Yuuka can create one clone but its mainly for combat. I think using clone to gather info or confusing others is quite fun xD

One more thing, consider hes being human with no magician ability (like Marisa), having thats many ability can be a trade-off

Edit: i think hes becoming a Naruto's rip-off :P
While not listed as one of their abilities, a lot of characters can make clones. Suwako can definitely make a whole bunch of them.
Remilia can also do it, and many other stage 6 characters.

I would like to see manipulation of speech. Getting people to say the wrong things will be hilarious.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:21 AM »
Manipulation of Ash
"And the world will turn to Ash""They must be talking about you!"

Perhaps someone with...the power of FRIENDSHIP!  No, not just being really nice, but being able to manipulate others' emotions to make others like them.  It'd be kinda like i've heard Remilia's fate manipulation works, though:  If you can feel the power being used on you, you can resist it.

Would be potentially a really crafty character, though my idea of them would be someone who was lonely, perhaps a spirit of someone abandoned by their friends(Who left in fright of some horrible event or something, their minds only focusing on survival).
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

B?t V?n Tử

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
Manipulation of Ash
I dont know what u mean by Manipulation of Ash, but i think it may similar to Suika ability.

New thought: Manipulation of Memories: create, modify and erase.
Do you that is similar to Keine's ability?

B?t V?n Tử

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »
I would like to see manipulation of speech. Getting people to say the wrong things will be hilarious.

Wow, that would be very useful against magicians or whoever need to recite their spells. I think using spells cards is useless if ur silenced or cant say the spell name :)

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2011, 07:25:14 AM »
Touhou have a kunai bullets, but there's no  a ninja yet? BLASPHEMY!
Hmmm..
Power to become "justin bieber"
Power to become "rebecca black"

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »
(Completely forgot to mention earlier, but Daiyousei teleports in EoSD stage 2)

Manipulation of vectors could be an interesting (albiet pretty overpowered) ability.
Power to use onmyodo (paper charm shikigami and the ofouda bullets and such)
Power to detect weaknesses
Manipulation of colour

(Touhou has no ninja because things have to grow to near extinction in the outside world to reach Gensokyo, and ninja are far too common to qualify. Protip: if there's no ninja in your line of sight, it's because he is above you. If there is one, it's not a real ninja, because ninja cannot be seen. Ninja.)