Author Topic: EoSD spell card background issue (French translation project)  (Read 5090 times)

EoSD spell card background issue (French translation project)
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
Hi all,

For a quick introduction I'm Dodoecchi, french touhou player since 2 years. I've taken interest in a translation project more than one year ago.
I joined the team as developper, 'cause basically the game is translated but what's left is the patch and thus all the programming.
The only thing that is fully done is the dialogues translation.
With zero experience in game hacking, I simply looked at the english patch and used it as a starting ground.

I'm going here to ask for a little help since I came across a bigger problem which I just can't solve.
The english patch uses an alternative system to load the spell cards names from another file (spellcards.eng).
I analyzed it and translated it accordingly to the specs.
Now, he's the result with long names : http://i.imgur.com/MucgE.png
The background is oversized...

After discussion with Xarnonymous, he noticed an entry in the exe_patch_1.02h.txt file :
"Better sized player/enemy spell card backgrounds"
I believe this hack plays a major role in the glitch.
Problem, I can't understand how this works.

So, any help is welcome
Would be really great if I could finish this first french patch  :)

Thanks is advance,
Dodoecchi

MrBigz

• Rael
Re: EoSD spell card background issue (French translation project)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I've never looked in those files, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the text string isn't being null terminated, or it is, but there's spaces around it. Generally, when reading text, you signal the end of a string with a null character. So I would open up spellcards.eng with a hex editor, go to the place where that specific spellcard is, and see if there's spaces around it. If there is, just get rid of them.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »
I've never looked in those files, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the text string isn't being null terminated, or it is, but there's spaces around it. Generally, when reading text, you signal the end of a string with a null character. So I would open up spellcards.eng with a hex editor, go to the place where that specific spellcard is, and see if there's spaces around it. If there is, just get rid of them.

Yup, I'm aware of this. :) That's what I meant by "I analyzed it and translated it accordingly to the specs."
80 bytes : string, nul, space padding, CR and LF

To be more precise, the first part of the file is working fine. It displays the spell cards in the score menu, left aligned.
The problematic part (ingame) is displayed by the second part of the file, with the text right aligned.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:26 PM »
I looke at some videos of some spellcards; there seems to be some space, but not as much as you had. Do you know if the message box is fixed, or does it change in size if you change the string?

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »
I looke at some videos of some spellcards; there seems to be some space, but not as much as you had. Do you know if the message box is fixed, or does it change in size if you change the string?

Yes, the background is sized accordingly to the spell card name.
As I explained, the english patch changes this behavior. Looking for help on this particular point

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
Thanks for your answers, MrBigz, but I'm looking for specific technical help.

Does anyone know how I could contact the developpers of the EoSD english patch? Especially Simon El?n

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:25:54 AM »
Sorry I couldn't be more help.  :ohdear: