Author Topic: [Art] Frosty dusts the cobwebs off  (Read 3015 times)

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
[Art] Frosty dusts the cobwebs off
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:33:09 AM »
I've been meaning to make an art thread for a while (and to stop lurking so much) but I've been busy with college... and procrastinating.  I've been drawing ever since I was little, and I'd really like to make a career out of it somehow.  I mostly dabbled in making my own monsters/animals, but then I got around to making weapons.  I really love designing weapons, even though I'm horrible with details and ornamentation.  After a while I moved on to actually drawing people.  Oddly enough I do very little fanart, even though I always tell myself I want to (and to make 4koma comics because those are awesome).
Sadly, I have no coloring skills, so you'll have to deal with my mess of mechanical pencil scribblings.

Monster-things.

More monster-things.

Weapons.

More weapons... and a dress.

This isn't anything "bad", she's just shirtless... and a jellyfish girl.

[nsfw]http://red-fr0st.deviantart.com/art/Forneus-chan-204541201[/nsfw]

My failed attempt at "Wa-Lolita".

Male Golem... I don't draw many guys...

Enjoy some chibi Heather Mason~

And some mini Kaine... not Keine... sorry. >:

I also like making small toys from Sculpey.  I just don't get to do it too much because it requires a lot of attention and it's not something you can do while you're busy with school.  Also, sorry about the horribly quality of the photos.  These were before I learned how to use a camera better.

Orpheus from Persona 3

Arakune from BlazBlue

Any questions, comments, etcetera?  I also welcome tips and suggestions, since I'd like to learn how to not suck. :3
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:04:11 AM by Red Frost »

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
Re: [Art] Frosty can does things
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:42:25 AM »
Whoooa, the figures that you made are really cool~ (I really like the Arakune one~) Have you ever tried to make a full figured character? (What I mean is a non-chibi figure.)

Oh, and is Sculpey expensive in anyway? It looks like an interesting thing to do.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Red Frost

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:02:57 AM »
Whoooa, the figures that you made are really cool~ (I really like the Arakune one~) Have you ever tried to make a full figured character? (What I mean is a non-chibi figure.)

Oh, and is Sculpey expensive in anyway? It looks like an interesting thing to do.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked them~  I've never tried making a full-figured character, but that sounds like a fun project...  I actually want to try making ones that look like Nendoroids (except non-poseable).  I think people who make their own custom Nendoroids use polyester putty or something like that.  Or they just modify their own, which I could never bring myself to do. D;

Sculpey's actually pretty cheap, about $10 dollars for a small "brick" and you can bake it in the oven.  I'm pretty inexperienced with sculpting, so it can be frustrating as hell sometimes, but it's also really fun when you get into it.

Red Frost

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »
Anybody like Minotaur schoolgirls?

This is Airia Harper, one of the first characters I came up with after I got back into drawing (it was also around the time I learned about Touhou).  She's shy, she's cute, and she's incredibly strong (even when she isn't all minotaur-y).  She was born from my desire to draw a cute girl with horns and who wielded a giant weapon.  Ironically, Airia loves weapons and making them (her dad's a blacksmith) but she doesn't fight or anything.
(Sorry if she looks like she'll topple over any second, her legs always give me trouble when drawing.)

I really wanted to draw something in time for Halloween, but I couldn't think of what and I wanted to finish this up.  I really gotta get to my homework tonight, too;;

Red Frost

Re: [Art] Frosty dusts the cobwebs off
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »
I thought I'd be more active after getting my AA but crap came up, I got lazy, etc.  Currently on break because I don't know what college to go to next (or for what) and I could use the time to get better and finish up some things.  Hopefully reviving this thread will give me incentive to draw more.
Here are a few projects from my last semester of college:
A Koi fish.
And a bottle that took too long to paint.

After 3 years I finally got around to using my tablet!  Still not very up on coloring, but I'm working on it.
Enjoy some crude scenery
Chinchou
Airia Harper

And the most recent things I've done (pencil):
Mercury (Quicksilver) Fish... get it?
A Lamia

I was really hoping the last one would turn out, but I just had a hell of a time with the anatomy and all that (and working on it on and off).  Some parts I redrew so many times the paper started to wear thin (especially around the face) so I had to leave it as is.  I'm considering doing a bunch of portrait-type pictures so I can get more practice with drawing heads, but I'd like to finish up a few more projects I'm juggling before starting too many new things.
And I swear I'll get around to drawing some Touhou.  :fail:

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 04:16:59 AM »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Red Frost

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:47:41 AM »
That belly
I can stare at it forever

The allure of a woman's belly is a hard one to resist. ~w~  I'm happy to hear hers turned out nicely.

So this isn't done or anything, but I figured I'd post up the lineart anyways because I'm afraid I'll mess it up when coloring.
Enjoy some Byakuren.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 07:05:53 AM »
So this isn't done or anything, but I figured I'd post up the lineart anyways because I'm afraid I'll mess it up when coloring.
Enjoy some Byakuren.
:* It's really detailed! From hair to clothes to anatomy! Something doesn't look quite right with the color palette you're going to use, though.

teach me those arms and hands

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Red Frost

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
:* It's really detailed! From hair to clothes to anatomy! Something doesn't look quite right with the color palette you're going to use, though.

teach me those arms and hands

Wow, thank you. ;-;  I was originally going to just use the blue, but I thought that wouldn't be enough for coloring, so I chose the colors in her hair and I'll try to do a gradient-type thing with the whole body.  I wanted to use more subdued colors, but I might change them up.

I always start a drawing out by doing a body-base and then adding the clothes on top.  I sometimes spend a really long time doing the base, even if a lot of it gets erased out for the clothing (this time I tried not to spend so much time on the base).  It can be a big help to even gesture out the general shape of the arm and hand when all that's visible are the fingers.  What also helps me with arms is seeing how long each section of it is compared to the other sections, or measuring the entire length of it in comparison to other parts of the body.  I do this with other people's drawings (and sometimes real-life photos) and try to apply the proportions to my own stuff.  I'm still working on it, though (I think my Lamia drawing is a bit too tall/long).
And if none of that works, there's always the timeless classic: "Draw it out, look at it, erase it."  Rinse/Repeat this until you get something you're somewhat happy with, or until you get sick of it and say "Screw it, good enough".