Author Topic: Regarding making suggestions in stories  (Read 16324 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Regarding making suggestions in stories
« on: April 21, 2009, 06:09:03 AM »
I've recently noticed a disturbing trend of "hey you should do this!" in some of the fan-written stories that I follow in this forum.

Now, let me preface this by saying that constructive criticism is perfectly fine. The goal of this topic is not to discourage people from posting anything that could be construed as negative in another person's story topic. For example, if you see spelling, grammatical, formatting, etc. errors, go ahead and point them out - in my experience, the writers here are generally receptive to having their works proofread from a technical standpoint. Presumably, if a writer doesn't like it, they'll say so.

That being said, suggesting a path a given story should take (or a new story altogether) is incredibly disrespectful for two reasons:

- It says that you think your story preferences are more important and/or better written than the topic creator's.
- It assumes the topic creator is so bad at what they're doing that they're merely stumbling along as whims come to them with absolutely nothing planned out for the future.

As such, I would like to see this trend stop here, out of respect for our hard-working writers if nothing else.

If you really desire to see your ideas played out, rather than suggest them to the writer, you should politely ask them if you can write your own spinoff using their setup (and their characters, if they created any). If they grant you permission, then hey, knock yourself out. Just please make sure you ask first, and definitely don't jack their stuff if they don't give you permission.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"