Author Topic: [Art] Raga and the 100 witches  (Read 59460 times)

Re: [Art] Raga and the 100 witches
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
"Jeepers! I'm a fairy!"

You write the best lines.

Inigo Montoya

• Random Lurker
  • Aardvark soup is good
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »
I have to say, I really enjoyed your new Cirno comic. The story was fun and the art was a lot more solid than the Scarlet Devil Legends one with Marisa in it.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
Thank yous~

Inigo Montoya: Glad you like it! I think there are some good parts and some weak parts, but my stories are always a bit random. The art is certainly a few notches higher, though. It was fun to make, but rather exhausting.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
Long time, no see, as usual. No more toehoes since last time, but I'll post a bunch of sketches from my own fantasy comic project. It's mostly just character designs so far, but I want to create a "touhou-like" world, with a lot of (cuteified) monsters running around etc.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
No? Have a painted one, then. This is the little "Al", Hiyallala Yallayalla, an Armenian monster that can go invisible, thanks to its magic hat.
She has teeth of iron, nails of brass and one burning eye.

Oh right, I do have two Touhou pictures, the ones I made for the scroll that was handed to ZUN at some convention recently. I did Orin and Parsee.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
Oh shit I didn't see that last update. Those character designs are rad as fuck. I really like the witch and the three-head girl. Do you have a blog or website or something where you regularly post updates? I'd like to follow development on that comic when you move forward with it.

That Orin is fantastic. I am really envious of your ability to use color and actually draw backgrounds :V

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
Thank you very much! I have deviantart, but I can't say I post all too regularly, sadly. http://ragathol.deviantart.com/
I'm going to talk with some friends soon  who might want to help me write it, so I hope I can get something going sooner or later.

Here's a WIP for another monster, the Greek "Aeternae", Nilli Pyroklaster. Her razor-sharp horns can pierce shields and armour.
I'm not really happy with this picture and composition though, so I'll probably remake it.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
A new painting of one of my characters, the demon princess Ravi Vin da Tagram. In original and grimdark versions.

And my "circle cut" for this year's Reitaisai registration. Let's hope I get in!

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »
Solaire and Utsuho being sunbros

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2014, 01:46:39 AM »
Only canon pairing. No homo.

Ok, maybe a little.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
Some time ago, a new member of the Yakumo household was presented.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
I'll just keep posting these, then.

Sixten

• Legendary Creature - Frog
  • 6/10
    • House of Sixten
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:43 AM »
Your versatility is very impressive. You have all the tools: anatomy, environments, texture, color, detail, storytelling. What I respect most is how you have a wide range of character proportions and expressions, while still having each individual character look consistent with himself/herself from picture to picture. I wouldn't be surprised if you're the artist on this forum who has done the most number of comic pages.

I'm actually more impressed by your "Fantasy RPG World" designs than your Toho fan art, probably because of my stylistic preference when it comes to Toho. But all of your work is very good and shows a great deal of skill and effort. You're like a manga-influenced Tony DiTerlizzi.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2014, 12:16:50 AM »
Thank you very much! All included, I've probably done around 800 comic pages, which of course is a great way to learn what you have to learn. In a comic, you have to include all those parts, and I try to not back down from a challenge.

I didn't know about Tony DiTerlizzi before, but Google shows me some pretty dang neat pictures, so I'm delighted by that comparison.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »
Yukari being awake in the winter is pretty rare. Inspired by Futon's work. I think his pictures are very beautiful, I love that darker side of Gensokyo.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2014, 11:21:12 PM »
I'll just keep posting these, then.

Shit man. Backgrounds too stronk.

How long does it take you to draw a scene like that? Does it ever get easier? ;_;

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2014, 12:33:48 AM »
That picture took almost exactly 4 hours in total. Things do get a lot faster with experience. 10 years ago, a single character illo often took 5-6 hours or more.

ShadowDragonYoukai

• Banned
  • Serial shitposter
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
Looks cool, but is something wrong with her state of mind? She looks insane.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »
That's normal when the artist is Raga. :V

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

ShadowDragonYoukai

• Banned
  • Serial shitposter
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
I was talking about the first picture on the thread.

pineyappled

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:15 AM »
That was three years ago. Quote it if you're talking about it.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »
Utsuho is quite insane, yes. She was force-fed a sun god and started making nukes in her basement. Could tip the cutest bird over the edge.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
Heyo!
Reitaisai went well again, sold almost all I had (that is, 15-25 of each book) and it was great fun. Managed to get hold of most of what I wanted too, so that was a success. My books had been translated into Japanese this time around, so that was probably a good thing too. Those small tables are starting to get too packed for this, though, I'll have to think of another solution for next time, since I plan to make more books. Comparison of tables from Reitaisai(top) and the Swedish Comics Festival in Stockholm the weekend after:

Some examples from my new book for this year, Youkai Monochrome. It's just a small art book with 12 pages, since I didn't have time for anything else, but I quite like how it came out.

But for next time there'll be a new comic for sure, I already have the synopsis down and I'm writing the storyboard/script now. It'll be a continuation of Parsee's story in RGB, but with the heroine's continued adventures; that is, a retelling of SA in my style. I did some character sketches inspired by Nisekoi. I'm writing the pages with Satori now, and she's absolutely terrible (and therefore good fun). I'm trying to make her more like the mythical Satori, driving people mad.

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:57 AM »
Owo Is this the artist that made the nsfw SDM train picture? Haha! You're fucking awesome!

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:12 AM »
I could have made something to that extent, yes. Thank you.

What is everyone's opinion on Touhou ero, btw? Fuck yeah, or a disgrace to ZUN and the Emperor?

Got some new stuff going on. I'll try for Reitaisai next year again, so I need something new. This time it's my own version of the SA story, with everyone at once and somewhat different progression (or just "behind the scenes" of what we didn't see ingame?)
It's sort of a continuation from Parsee's story in RGB, so it's starting from stage 4.

Have a bunch of sample pages for now! Still writing and drawing, it's going to be long, probably around 60 pages.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
Satori pls

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2014, 01:12:55 AM »
This Satori is amazing
dat deadpan tho
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 05:40:14 PM »
Hey Raga, how do you usually go about writing and completing a script? Do you have any tips or advice for newbies?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2014, 12:45:10 AM »
Mea: Thanks!

Aoshi: It's pretty much the classical way - start by coming up with a basic idea, like what should happen in large and where should it go. Toss and turn ideas in your head and/or on paper for some time, until something solid starts materializing, and you know where to start. For this comic I had two ideas I wanted to do that just happened to play out in an SA context, so I decided to combine them and start building a story to support them both - and I concluded they would both fit in a personal retelling of the SA story.

When you have an idea, I usually just start drawing the dummy pages/storyboard with the panel layouts and dialogue directly. Some like to write the whole script dialogue in text only first, and then split it into pages and panels, but I usually just write as I go along. If I come up with something that should be further ahead in the story, I write it down as I envision it, sometimes with picture support, and then include it when the time comes. Others may have systems of post-its with various scenes and ideas that can be rearranged if needed, or other ways of organizing the story. I usually just keeps most of it in my head, and keep iterating it to see if it holds, or if I come up with something better.

The storyboards/dummy pages are small and simple arrangements of the page, the panel layout and their content, that can be easily changed or swapped before drawing the real page. Some people just start inking from their head, but I like to write out the script and the layout so that I can read it a few times and make sure that everything fits together, polish the dialogue and character/speech balloon positions etc.

Then it's time to put it all on the real, fancy paper and draw the proper lines and ink and all that. After that, I scan the pages and tone and text them in Photoshop, and it's done.

I don't know if my way is the best, but it works for me. I start working before the whole script/storyboard is finished because I'm impatient, and I'm generally just a few pages ahead in the script, but as long as I know where I'm heading, it usually works out. Without experience, you may find that it's better to have your whole story finished before you start getting serious with the drawings, though. It's much more bothersome to change or dump a finished page than a sloppy sketch.

Here's one storyboard page from a bit further ahead, with some changes in dialogue and text order made. It's very quick, just to get an overview. And with atrocious handwriting. Did that answer anything?

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »
Yes, thanks! I'm not very good at scripting so I thought I should ask someone who's more experienced.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder