Author Topic: Has anything almost ruined touhou for you?  (Read 30433 times)

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
Has anything almost ruined touhou for you?
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »
While being a fan of the Touhou series has there ever been that one thing that really turned you off? If you do share stories!

For example, something that almost ruins the experience for me is what I call "Touhou weeaboos" y'know like a vocaloid weaboo... but touhou. Their just awfully annoying to me. You usually find them on DeviantArt  (Man I hate that site). Another one is an attention whore-weeaboo at my school. As soon as she knew what Touhou was a part of me died. She also tried to claim to play the games, but ask her witch one she plays and she can't say.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Has anything almost ruined touhou for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
Can't really say anything has almost ruined Touhou for me. Individual fans aren't going to do it, and sites I don't like I just don't visit.

It's like, OK, if I found out Hitler loved him some fried chicken, am I going to stop eating it? Hell no, I'll be like, "Well, +1 for Hitler, I guess."

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
Haha true.
I gotta say I'm probably just full of alot of anger and hatred. Now I wouldin't stop playing the games for shure. I've just kinda turned away from that part of the fan base (It happens to me with every game)  and I stopped telling people about the game because of it.

Maybe I just need to stop making people ruin things for me so easily...

Tengukami

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
Oh, dude, trust me - there's plenty about the fanbase to dislike, no doubt about it. Fortunately, most of the fans I have a problem with are all concentrated on a couple sites. I don't know anyone IRL who even knows what Touhou is, so I can't speak to the frustration of some asshat in my school suddenly liking it. I have reacted the way you have about people I don't like suddenly liking the same bands I do, though, and for like, a split second it'll make me question my own tastes. So I do get it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
I have no idea what could possible ruin Touhou for me. If it were just stupid fans, then I wouldn't like anything at all.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
Sanae.

If it were just stupid fans, then I wouldn't like anything at all.
P much
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »
There is absolutely nothing that could ever make me hate any of the things I like.

Even if it was possible, given my completely laid back nature, even the most hated memes and fanisms don't even phase me and at times I even enjoy them. (ran ran ruuu~).

Even should the person I hate most in the world like something I like, it wouldn't even phase me in the least.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
Not really. I'm primarily a Touhou gamer, so I don't spend as much time with fan-based stuff as others and thus can avoid the stupid fans pretty easily. Regarding the games themselves, theoretically I only need one game to keep me hooked, and of course I like a bunch of them.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
Parents.

Case in point.

Dad: WHY DO YOU HAVE A GIRL AS YOUR WALLPAPER ARE YOU TURNING GAY?
Me: ...

Damn stereotypes. Still goes on right now.

Also seconding the touhou weeaboos.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
I don't think anything could ruin Touhou itself for me. I have a very, very deep and personal relationship with the games and the world.

The fanbase does get questionable or downright incorrigible at times, but then again, when isn't that the case for a fandom? In the end, I can just ignore the things I don't like (NOBODY CAN JUST BE FRIENDS EVERYONE WANTS TO BONE EACH OTHER) and focus on the things I do like (well thought out theories and concepts).
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »
Dad: WHY DO YOU HAVE A GIRL AS YOUR WALLPAPER ARE YOU TURNING GAY?
Me: ...

I don't

what

that doesn't even make sense

Also, my stance is about the same as everyone here. I still like old stuff like Guren Lagann too; even though those kinds of fanbases do ruin things for a lot of people; even a couple of friends have been turned off.

Weaklings.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

shurcle

• You can nom on yourself sometimes!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
Badly written fan fiction.

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
Badly written fan fiction.
This, mainly. I can't really say anything about the weaboo's cause I was one of them, and it wouldn't be right.
One thing that does disturb me, but wouldn't drive me away from touhou, is the massive quantity of "anon penises" raping the girls, or the gore-erotic pictures, or the weird positions; things like that. Then again, this would never ruin touhou for me. Tough one, Danbooru, though that's not enough to beat me  :dealwithit:

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
Quote from: lol wikipedia
Yuri (百合), also known by the wasei-eigo construction Girls' Love (ガールズラブ, gāruzu rabu?), is a Japanese jargon term for content and a genre involving love between women in manga, anime, and related Japanese media.

You see that up there? Yeah, that. That almost ruined it for me.

That and the many asinine pairings.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:17:58 PM by Touji Suwagata »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Koishi being obssessed with penises.
Sanae/Aya/whoever being a slut.

There are surely more buried in the past, but I'd like to keep them buried, thank you very much.

Oh, and on the gameplay side of things, "easy mode is for kindergarteners!" As well as those people who think that lunatic is the only true difficulty / all that matters / supposed to be possible for everyone. Hiss.

Tengukami

Has anything almost ruined Touhou for you?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
fan fiction
Man, I don't know what you guys are smoking. Fan fiction improves Touhou, especially the truly awful fan fiction. I should know, I've written plenty of bad fan fiction. Plus it's great for dramatic readings.

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
Re: Has anything almost ruined Touhou for you?
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »
Man, I don't know what you guys are smoking. Fan fiction improves Touhou, especially the truly awful fan fiction. I should know, I've written plenty of bad fan fiction. Plus it's great for dramatic readings.
I want to say that actually, I meant the fictions that are only 4 leters long. I don't even mind cliches, memes, or anything like that when it comes to fan fics. But people, it IS okay to write more than a setence per chapter ;_;

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
I want to say that actually, I meant the fictions that are only 4 leters long. I don't even mind cliches, memes, or anything like that when it comes to fan fics. But people, it IS okay to write more than a setence per chapter ;_;

Quote from: Purvis
"Hey Dai," Wriggle asks, "How long has Cirno been in the freezer?"
"Couple hours," says Daiyousei.
"Those things are air tight, you know."

Disproven. 8)

Anyway, me? If anything it's the isolated fate of the lunatic player. Truth be told it's very annoying when you spend weeks on an accomplishment and people are all "wait you haven't done that yet?" :/
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
I think my inability to play the games well is ruining it for me :V

I don't

what

that doesn't even make sense

>Stop playing games with girls!
>Stop talking about girls!
>Stop hanging out primarily with girls!
>You are turning gay!

:derp:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »
So, we should go all Half-Life: Full Life Consequences on them?

Gameplay-wise, the MOF/SA/UFO continue systems are just rage-inducing at times. I elect to continue, and I'm severely low on resources (especially later on in game). I restart the game, and hooray, I have to run the whole damn thing again. It seems as if the game wants me to 1cc it before I can play it like an arcade game (the first time, just beat the game regardless of how well I do or how many credits I take, then improve it as a whole in subsequent runs). The supporters of the restarting mechanism (mostly from the competitive Lunatic camp) don't really help there.

As far as fandom is concerned, there are quite a few but others have covered it well enough.

Lastly I would add ZUN's stern refusal to sell the games outside traditional doujin channels as a critical souring point. It seems that (A) the success of Recettear, Chantelise, and the Gundemonium series on Steam after export to western markets has completely bypassed him; (B) he is further unaware of the changing market trends in terms of indie and doujin games, especially in NA, EU, and AU; and/or (C) the stubborn Japanese island syndrome has affected his view on the issue, which led some western fans to conclude he is a xenophobe.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

shurcle

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
Bad as in the writing itself is bad, not the story.
It's really hard to enjoy when it's written in such a strange manner that I can't understand what is going on.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
If you hate fanfics, don't read em. 's what I do, with very few exceptions, and it has served me well. It is not like anybody is forcing you to.   :derp:

However...

Plus it's great for dramatic readings.
Precisely.

On that note, we oughta do that again some time.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

shurcle

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
If you hate fanfics, don't read em. 's what I do, with very few exceptions, and it has served me well. It is not like anybody is forcing you to.   :derp:
I don't hate them, I just haven't found the joy of bad fan fiction yet.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I don't hate them, I just haven't found the joy of bad fan fiction yet.
In that case, this video seems like a good start.
Don't worry, it isn't touhou.  :3
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:31:25 PM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Formless God

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
Reworded.

The entire fucking fanbase and their produces. That includes memes, fanon theories, and yukkuris.
trance (trance works everywhere else, except here) on second thought, no, I misread what the OP meant

>ruin
Not in the sense of making me 'hate' it, but it did make me question the quality of the whole thing in general.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:50:43 PM by Anarchy Formless »

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
I never understood how the fanbase and fan works could "ruin" something. I can stand quite a lot of stupidity and rather appreciate the good stuff than let the bad get on me. If the fans are too unbearable (like I did with the Final Fantasy fanbase, which is... completely awful to put it in a nice way) then I just turn my back on the fanbase, but that wouldn't harm my enjoyment of the actual work in question.

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:35 PM »
i used to be discouraged by a lot of drama that occurs among groups of fans, but eventually i realized that letting other people get me down about things i like is pointless. other than that, nothing has really made me dislike touhou

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »
The memes. Like CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE(ry

Formless God

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2807/fuckchen.png

x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3