Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo 2011, get writing!  (Read 59169 times)

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
Re: National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo 2011, get hype
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2011, 01:30:30 AM »
Well, the link in the OP still goes to my page, but I'll put the new URL in anyway. http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/squawkers

JT

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
You skipped over me.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2011, 01:50:16 AM »
Well, the link in the OP still goes to my page
That's the thing; it only seems to work if you're logged in already.

You skipped over me.
My apologies! Fixed now.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »
Logged in users get automatically redirected, yes.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/trancehime <-- Here is the raw link to my profile.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/prody

Simply replace last part with standard name! (Unless said user has a lot of different nicks)
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
Still waiting on corrections from Sanrisa Laser and Affinity, but everyone else has been added or updated up to this point.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
Still waiting on corrections from Sanrisa Laser and Affinity, but everyone else has been added or updated up to this point.

Sorry.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/seaslugs

Something I've been wondering about.  Do we put anything in the novel excerpt box now?  Cause we shouldn't have anything to go in there right?  I'm either over or underthing that box.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/seaslugs
Something I've been wondering about.  Do we put anything in the novel excerpt box now?  Cause we shouldn't have anything to go in there right?  I'm either over or underthing that box.
Updated!
As to your question, you can do whatever in blazes you want with it. Looks like Anathe has a small snippet from Thanatophobia, while I have... well. (the genre is just for laughs)

Out of curiousity, have people figured out names for their stories yet, or will that come later? The name took me a few days to figure out, but it feels kind of weird to have one already.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
...I'm thinking of just giving mine some random name that will likely have nothing to do with the actual story.  I'm... Not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. >.>  Added to the fact that I still have no idea what I'm even going to write about, well... This could be interesting, at the very least.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »
Since I'm going for a continuation of last year's story, I just went for the obvious name choice of "Part II" :V

Also, from the NaNo donation counter:
1349.242% of Wrimos have donated
I have a feeling their algorhithm is off :V

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
Clearly, they're writers, not mathematicians. :]

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2011, 09:05:16 AM »
Out of curiousity, have people figured out names for their stories yet, or will that come later? The name took me a few days to figure out, but it feels kind of weird to have one already.

I am an expert at titling my stories if it isn't outright fanfiction, so...

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Me:  http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/jasminyasmin

No idea if I'll finish or not, or if it'll even be long enough to finish with, but oh well.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:27 AM »
A very productive few days with friends later, I have a large chunk of my story mapped out!  As usual, it's a hopelessly ambitious project, pared down to hopefully manageable chunks.  Think Age of Discovery meets magic.  It'll be awesome.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2011, 03:36:12 AM »
Argh there's like a week left and despite the noise I made I haven't actually gotten very far on an outline >.<
But that's what the week is for, I guess~

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »
Pft. I don't even know what I'm going to be writing about. like, at all. Take that, all you people with your preparations and outlines and what-have-you.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2011, 03:41:21 AM »
I have the exact opposite of procrastination: If I can't do it ahead of time, I'm not going to do it at all. I hate being rushed-- which is precisely why I am going to challenge myself with something like Nanowrimo.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2011, 03:43:11 AM »
I usually love to make outlines and charts and graphs and what-have-you, but I don't try to think of story ideas. They just come to me at times. This is only a problem when they happen to not come to me, and I need them to come to me. Like right now. :V

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »
Oh, I get ideas flying at me all the time, even when I need them to come to me. They pile up, in fact, which is why I would like to get them down on paper in some sort of order so I can then disregard them without totally losing them to the abyss, and maybe I can use them later on!

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2011, 03:50:41 AM »
Oh, I get ideas flying at me all the time, even when I need them to come to me. They pile up, in fact, which is why I would like to get them down on paper in some sort of order so I can then disregard them without totally losing them to the abyss, and maybe I can use them later on!

Yeah, the thing is, I get ideas all the time, but not a lot of them are Touhou related or in good taste (like my idea about a man who assassinates a president because he thinks that he's a great president and wants to immortalize him in History. Would be interesting to write, but would also probably catch the eye of the Secret Services or something. And wouldn't be in good taste anyway.)

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2011, 03:57:31 AM »
Yeah, the thing is, I get ideas all the time, but not a lot of them are Touhou related or in good taste (like my idea about a man who assassinates a president because he thinks that he's a great president and wants to immortalize him in History. Would be interesting to write, but would also probably catch the eye of the Secret Services or something. And wouldn't be in good taste anyway.)
Write it up and send the plot to the screenwriters of The West Wing! Or another such show.

I would at least write down the blurb. One of the only guides to writing I've ever liked was one that focused less on technical things and instead just threw ideas at you to get the creative juices flowing, and keeping a notebook with daily writing prompt responses was a recommended thing to do. Keep that up long enough, and you'll probably end up writing dozens of blurbs that "aren't in good taste".

Moerin

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
Besides, whoever said something had to be in good taste to be good?  >.>

...Gaaah I still haven't the faintest idea what I'm going to do for this.  I've had ideas, but they've all been dumb and unworkable. >.<  Ugh, this is going to be a trainwreck, I just know it.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:15 AM »
Write it up and send the plot to the screenwriters of The West Wing! Or another such show.

I would at least write down the blurb. One of the only guides to writing I've ever liked was one that focused less on technical things and instead just threw ideas at you to get the creative juices flowing, and keeping a notebook with daily writing prompt responses was a recommended thing to do. Keep that up long enough, and you'll probably end up writing dozens of blurbs that "aren't in good taste".

Like they would take a fifteen-year-old's idea :V

Hm. I may have to try that. Even if I do hate writing by hand (I have pretty much no arm stamina at all, even with Taekwondo going on) it may pay off. Of course, I've had random story ideas before, but they usually end up being kind of long and I just give up/forget about them.

Besides, whoever said something had to be in good taste to be good?  >.>

I'm more worried about the fact that a story about assassinating the president (not the current one for the record, just a nameless president) would be in really poor taste and also may be taken as a threat to the president which is a class D felony. So yeah, not going to put much more than the story idea out on the internet.

Moerin

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2011, 04:26:20 AM »
Um... I think you're being a little paranoid there.  Do you really think that anyone who has ever written a story about a potential presidential assassination is treated as a felon?  You do know there are professionally published novels out there that feature presidential assassination attempts as plot points?  Some even going as far to use real life presidents and kill them off?

The fact that you plan to make it a nameless president makes it something even less to worry about. >.>  Besides, I think it sounds like a pretty neat idea and you should at least give it a shot.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »
Um... I think you're being a little paranoid there.  Do you really think that anyone whose ever written a story about a potential presidential assassination is treated as a felon?  You do know there are professionally published novels out there that feature presidential assassination attempts as plot points?  Some even going as far to use real life presidents and kill them off?

The fact that you plan to make it a nameless president makes it something even less to worry about. >.>  Besides, I think it sounds like a pretty neat idea and you should at least give it a shot.

Actually, I'll be the first to admit I'm a very paranoid person. It's not that I don't trust the government, but that I think they know more about us than we think. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm actually starting to think I might do this for NaNo, though. Not sure how I'd make it 50,000 words, but I probably could. Maybe something like how Samuel Byck recorded messages to Richard Nixon about how he was going to kill him?

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2011, 12:34:45 PM »
Here's mine again.  Affinity

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
I tried writing an outline, but then I got to thinking it would hamper my creative processes.

Oh well, it's there if I need it, I guess. I wouldn't mind winging it and writing 1500 words of random story that fall out of my brain every day at work.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »
I'm already piled with schoolwork and pressure to the point of mental deterioration, I have no idea what to write, and I'm most likely not going to come near 50,000 words by the end of the month.

So yeah I'm going to give better judgment the finger and give this a shot.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
I was thinking of doing it, but the guy above finally motivated me to give judgement the finger and give it a shot.
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/greenvirus

I have ideas and plot ready and in the making. I just need to narrow all of it down and set timely goals for myself. Here's to a month of hell :>

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer