Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo 2011, get writing!  (Read 58858 times)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo 2011, get hype
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:01 AM »
You should totally take this chance to write more Lyna, Rin :P
NaNo ideally means writing without thinking, and that's just how Lyna's story started out after all :3

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
gdi, what's with the hype so early?

Argh... do I want to subject myself to this again? I had to sneak in writing time at work and it'll be harder to do this year. But I guess I should actually finish OLG at least.

The instant I commit, my November is going to be hell...

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »
gdi, what's with the hype so early?

Argh... do I want to subject myself to this again? I had to sneak in writing time at work and it'll be harder to do this year. But I guess I should actually finish OLG at least.

The instant I commit, my November is going to be hell...

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Go post in Mafia

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »
By the way, here's my NaNoWriMo profile for anyone interested. Though I'm not sure if the link will remain the same once the new website is launched.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »

Actually, what I wrote last year seems more like a Journal rather than a story. 50k words demand a good story idea.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »
An idea for those that feel full NaNo might be too much but that are still tempted to take part: Just set your personal goal :3

I myself got reminded that I actually have a research report to do during November, which will be quite a bit of work that will not mix well with NaNo-commitment. So I've simply decided to go for a half-NaNo at least (ya know, like how there are half-marathons ;) ) and aim for 25k during the month, since I don't wanna miss the whole fun entirely.

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
I'll be honest right now. I don't expect to hit the 50,000 mark. I'm mostly doing this challenge because I have ideas I need to get out of my head and into text and if I run out of idea before I hit the target then oh well

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
NaNoWriMo relaunched their site, so you have to renew some settings when you log in again. Some functions are also disabled for now, most notably Writing Buddies, but that will come back in the next few days.

You can also get some fun little badges to put in your sig or other places to show your participation in NaNo~

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
I'll probably end up participating again, but I've no clue what I'd want to write yet. Ahaha.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
I might give participating another shot this year with a particular super robot story I've had laying around for many years. I tried starting on it once, but I couldn't get myself into the mindset of "just write, dammit".

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
You can also get some fun little badges to put in your sig or other places to show your participation in NaNo~
Some of these look pretty neat.

Okay, who's started on their outlines? I had an informal one in my head last year, but it's something quite different to write it down while consciously avoiding writing down the story itself.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
I might get around to writing an outline next week, still got uni stuff to do. It's probably best to start as soon as possible so I can write down every idea I have at random times, and possibly have a nice amount of material to work with come November.

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
Imma start a basic outline tomorrow once I grab that big text file from home where all my ideas for the story are sitting. Won't be anything major though, just where I want to start/finish each chapter at... probably. maybe I should write one chapter per day or something, that could be neat

I was also in the middle of actually drawing the main character's mech but I keep forgetting to ask cousins/sister how the fuck to color something in and have it look good in SAI

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
...Outline?  What's that? >.>

...Gaaah I'm probably going to end up going into this unprepared again.   And I know just how well that worked last time... >.<
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »
...Outline?  What's that? >.>

...Gaaah I'm probably going to end up going into this unprepared again.   And I know just how well that worked last time... >.<
This is exactly why I made this thread as early as I did. Outlining, even informally, is the only reason I could have come close to the 50k mark last year, much less win it. And when my outline ran out, my story went to hell. I'd like to avoid that this year, to say the least.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 07:25:10 PM »
Well, some people work excellently by simply winging it. Problems with outlines are that you don't always end up maintaining the same idea throughout the month, and then you obsess over sticking to your holy outline.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
The best outlines offer enough room to be flexible. They should just be guidelines, in the best sense.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
Usually it ends up being less a real outline for me and more of a collection of random ideas I want to put in the story. Those sometimes combine to form bits of continuous story or things that will lead to one another, other times they just end up being put in when they seem to fit while writing without a plan :V

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
Forget outlines, I can already see that this novel is going to have a few chapters purely detailing technical specs / historical information... But I like writing those too, so it won't be a hassle. It will probably mean the story won't finish by the end though lol

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »
I don't have a written outline, but this is something I've had in the works for several years now so I at least have some idea on the direction of where I'll be going with this.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 12:16:52 AM »
Drop a goddamn knife in my head right now, I'm in. 8)

I have even less of an idea than last year, as well as less motivation.  I'm finishing anyway.  Bring it.

Empty page, soon to be godlike full page.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:25:35 AM by theshim »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 03:18:53 AM »
Going back to address something:
Does my documentation for Lord of Maidens count? I think it's definitely going to be more than 50k words when it's done.
Only if it's written brand-new for November.

Drop a goddamn knife in my head right now, I'm in. 8)

I have even less of an idea than last year, as well as less motivation.  I'm finishing anyway.  Bring it.

Empty page, soon to be godlike full page.
That's the spirit. :dragonforce:
All right, everyone who's posted their profile up to this point has been added!

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 03:23:54 AM »
OP: Please indicate that I've been retconned from existence.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »
Going back to address something:Only if it's written brand-new for November.

What qualifies as brand new?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
What qualifies as brand new?
From the rules section:

Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1?

Yes.

This sounds like a dumb, arbitrary rule, we know. But bringing a half-finished manuscript into NaNoWriMo all but guarantees a miserable month. You'll care about the characters and story too much to write with the gleeful, anything-goes approach that makes NaNoWriMo such a creative rush. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and you'll tap into realms of imagination and intuition that are out-of-reach when working on pre-existing manuscripts.

Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
Nothing from me then. Gonna be working on getting a fully playable mod out instead.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
Well, I've got my plot and everything hammered out.

Check out my NaNoWriMo profile for the Novel Information.

I hope to beat my record last year, or at least be around the same.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »
Hmm, that's a little bit odd.

Okay, everyone in the OP who has a link with numbers and not their name (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/700674 as opposed to http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/sakurarurouni for example) should give me the new links again. It appears the NaNoWriMo site relaunch messed with some things.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2011, 01:19:05 AM »
Um... Okay.

...Still not sure at all what I'm going to do, but... Fingers crossed, I guess.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"