Author Topic: I ask of you, are you my master's father? Fate/Zero thread!  (Read 74801 times)

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
I ask of you, are you my master's father? Fate/Zero thread!
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
The prequel of the popular Fate/Stay Night gets it's own animation, produced by the infamous ufotable studios, and written by our good fella, Gen Urobuchi!
Each Episode will be available oficially online through here, subbed in various languages, but each episode will be available on the week it's aired.
Right now the first episode, Summoning of the Heroes, is available, so go watch it!
Maybe the Novel isn't that new, but people may be watching this directly. For that reason, Spoilers are in full effect! Now go forth and discuss!

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
Re: I ask of you, are you my master's father? Fate/Zero thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:22:19 AM »
Glorious first episode :o. My weeks will be full of waiting for the next episodes.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
Do I need to have watched F/SN in order to follow this?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
Considering that it drops big spoilers ever since the very start, Yes. I'm not sure if the anime version of F/SN skips on details that are relevant to this and are touched upon the VN, tho.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:34 AM »
Just gives me another reason to give F/SN a chance.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 01:55:14 AM »
I am watching this on nico partly because of how soon it updates, and partly because of the comments. Lots of them are spoilers though.

"THE HOLY GRAIL IS A SPY"
"IN RUSSIA, THE CIRCLE WALKS YOU"
"IF YOU WANT A WISH, ASK KYUBEY"
"Dear Princess Celestia..."
"WHERE'S MY WIIIFFFFEE"
"daijoubu da mondai nai"

E: Finished first episode. I have high hopes for this one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:22:23 AM by -- tirade »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 06:18:38 AM »
Oh man, 47 minutes starter, this was more than  I expected. Absolutely glorious start into this series.
And of course they ended on the best possible line.

Also loving the ending song already <3

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
As first episodes go, that was pretty darned awful. It just reeks of Nasu and his inability to use ten words when a thousand can be artificially and awkwardly shoehorned in. Christ, nothing significant happened until the last five minutes of the episode. I trust it'll get better eventually, but, for the moment, I'm quite disappointed.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
I dunno what your expectations were, but considering that the original Fate-series needed two full episodes to get to about the same point by comparison
Spoiler:
(the summoning)
, Zero actually did well in my eyes in that it at least managed to introduce all major characters and premises for them. Sure it could have been condensed if they had tried to, but I guess that's what you gotta expect with Nasu-stuff.

Fightest

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:04:12 AM »
I dunno what your expectations were, but considering that the original Fate-series needed two full episodes to get to about the same point by comparison

You're right, of course - Nasu will be Nasu. I think the disappointment came from my memories of the UBW OVA, which used that very pretty art style they've got going to have fighting and explosions almost immediately. That said, UBW went into the opposite direction and told the viewer absolutely nothing, so probably F/Z's is a somewhat healthier start.

miracle★cookie

• 時よ止まれ、お前は美しい
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
afaik fate/zero is written by gen urobuchi, albeit tried to match FSN's style somewhat

and dont worry, this is just the prologue, it was meant to establish most characters' backgrounds and motives. there should be plenty of good fights and epic battles coming up if thats what you're looking for

think my friends were shocked when they saw
Spoiler:
sakura and the worms

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
I think the disappointment came from my memories of the UBW OVA, which used that very pretty art style they've got going to have fighting and explosions almost immediately. That said, UBW went into the opposite direction and told the viewer absolutely nothing, so probably F/Z's is a somewhat healthier start.
I can definitely agree with that. For people like us who are familiar with F/SN and its setting we could do with skipping all the exposition and just get right to the action, as the UBW-movie did it. For those unfamiliar with it, Zero did a good job setting things up, imo, and it certainly was a good choice to have one giant opening episode rather than spread it all over several episodes, thus why I personally didn't mind.
Now the interesting question is how it continues. I hope we will get lots of nice action next time, but if they do more long-winded exposition it might become grating.
Hoping for the best here.

Does anyone know if the length of the first episode was an exception or if they are planning to make the other episodes that long as well?

miracle★cookie

• 時よ止まれ、お前は美しい
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
well the first episode is pretty much exactly like how Act 1 was in the novel. so really depends on how faithful the adaption is going to be, it might take another one or two episodes to get things really started

should be worth the wait tho (if we do have to wait a couple of episodes that is). the fights in fate/zero were way better than those in FSN imo

Does anyone know if the length of the first episode was an exception or if they are planning to make the other episodes that long as well?
exception i think. based on what the official site and japanese tv stations said, the first epi was a one-hour special and the rest should be your standard 20~30-min episodes

Fightest

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
exception i think. based on what the official site and japanese tv stations said, the first epi was a one-hour special and the rest should be your standard 20~30-min episodes

That might be a very good idea, actually. Standard episodes mean a faster release rate (the one thing I was unhappy about re: Katanagatari), and an extra-long intro gets everything out of the way relatively quickly. Interesting.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »
Considering that it drops big spoilers ever since the very start, Yes. I'm not sure if the anime version of F/SN skips on details that are relevant to this and are touched upon the VN, tho.

I'd say it's Heaven's Feel (3rd game route) that's the most useful "prereq."  Though I suppose you'll get the gist of what's going on no matter what but things like
Spoiler:
Zouken, wormbaths and Illya's background
are completely absent from the anime IIRC.

As someone who stay away from F/Z spoilers I'm glad they took the time to set it up and looking forward to all sorts of battle shenanigans.

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »
Awesome first episode! A good combination of stuff we already know, and stuff we don't. (Assuming you haven't already read it obviously) Baby Illya and chibi Rin were adorable and as for Sakura...
Spoiler:
;_;
It managed to show the personalities and motivations of most of the masters right away, and provides a brilliant starting point, without quite the usual amount of dialogue-wading that comes with the territory of Nasu's stuff.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 11:50:02 PM »
Seems alright so far. 

Keiri is as boring as ever.  Also,
Spoiler:
the motif of mass murder for mana! strikes again... by caster.  I was hoping caster and his master would be more interesting this time, but it seems its just another psycho serial killer.

Don't lynch me.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:42 AM »
Almost everyone I know is going bonkers over Rin's depiction here.

I think my head's going to explode if I have to put up with any more of it :derp:

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
I'm more bonkers about Illya on the op :derp:

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
'I ask of you, are you my master's father?'

"No Luke, I am your father!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...wait what, hey what is this doofus doing in our filming camp?"

(awkward silence)

Anyway, Ilya's Mom, I'd say is the best MILF this season, god I love them fluffy russian hats.
can't wait till /the most badass/ Berserker shows himself. (the black knight)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »
I haven't read the LN and I've been avoiding all the spoilers so far.

Even though we all know how F/Z ends, I have a feeling that it's still going to keep me on the edge of my seat..

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
Is that some non-berserked Herakles, and some berserked Cu Chulainn?

Holy shit.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
1. But the UBW movie was horrendously bad
2. I think it's more of a "novel", it's not really that light, but lol semantics

Anyway, I appreciated the long drawn-out nature of most of the episode; I mean, there really is a lot of stuff to go over before diving into this, in my opinion. It took me that long just to get the characters straight in my head...

It did feel like a huge build-up to a really awesome end of the episode, though. But keep in mind that the slow part was pretty much entirely the prologue in the first novel - I'd rather they do it this way than have them fuck it up like the UBW movie.

also i am a huge nerd and appreciate all the background on this

I own the first novel, but it's hard as hell to read so I haven't really gotten anywhere with it. However, Waver's eirei looks like a fuckin' bro, I wonder which one it is?

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

triangles

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
I may be wrong but I think the only returning champions between 4th/5th wars are King Arthur and Gil.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
I kinda expect at least one or two returning faces myself because it's easier.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
By the way, basing on how the novel goes,
Spoiler:
I'd say you'd have to wait another episode for another action as there's still some more build up before the epic first fight

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 01:37:04 AM »
I hope these guys get killed off much more slowly than episode 9. 
Spoiler:
I thought Rider from FSN had more potential.

Don't lynch me.

triangles

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
Yeah - in the route they didn't animate  :V
Spoiler:
Even though HF annoyed the crap out of me I see why it went down the way it did.

F/Z was a more linear novel so we won't have things in this anime like
Spoiler:
making a big deal out of Caster's Rule Breaker and then doing basically nothing with it
right?

Ivan The Mouse

• Don't worry, Yoshika... you will (ahn~♥) protect me...
  • Law Abiding Unless Provoked
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
As a type-lunatic, I'd say this pretty much established the Nasuverse as depressive to the newbies out there.

Spoiler:
Damn, the Matou family is as fucked up as always.
Your sig is too big :V ~TSO

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Typemoon always have a incredible setting + story to backbone their productions. This is going to be greattt