Author Topic: Let's initiate the Survival Strategy. Mawaru Penguindrum thread!  (Read 57302 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Let's initiate the Survival Strategy. Mawaru Penguindrum thread!
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
I'm sure all the Utena fans burst out laughing when stepping into THAT CAR led to THAT KIND of scene.

Spoiler:
Vroom vroom it up, let's go for a ride in the Yuri car~

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
I'm sure all the Utena fans burst out laughing when stepping into THAT CAR led to THAT KIND of scene.

Spoiler:

~*~Fabulous Max~*~, indeed~

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

Spoiler:

~*~Fabulous Max~*~, indeed~

Spoiler:
Well, apparently Yuri is more than just her name. And RIngo isn't the only one who wants Ringo to be Momoka~

Also, Fabulous Max should word filter to ~*~Fabulous Max~*~.

Drake

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
This episode was extremely fabulous max. I think I was going through three different theories before the episode was over. This is just fantastic.

Spoiler:
At first, the way Yuri was talking made it seem as if she was Momoka somehow. The way she could "see" things, that only one person could be her soul mate (Tabuki), her soul mate one day disappearing (later obviously Momoka), her acting as Ringo's sister, her being Tabuki's classmate, fated, so on so forth, right up until dialogue making it obvious she isn't. Once this is revealed, Yuri being the motorcyclist was also made obvious and I took much joy in having it be revealed right after I figured it out. Surprise yuri was a real curveball though. All cool though, drugged naked Ringo was so delicious.
Kanba is goddamn badass and has now renewed my faith in his previously quite flat character; I could see how the train scene would unfold right up to him dodging the bomb pointblank. What's very very likely is that both Kanba and Masako are being manipulated. This episode is the first in which they reveal Sanetoshi is who's calling Masako, and the fact that he is "helping" Masako while also "helping" Kanba, it's pretty clear he has motivations involving Momoka as well. Seeing as the life-giving medicine is of a similar vein to the Princess' abilities, Sanetoshi seems to be directly in the middle. Sanetoshi and Masako both acknowledging that Yuri ("that woman") has the other half of the diary means that every character is now intertwined, which is fucking glorious. In addition, Kanba is selling himself on multiple ends now; both his life (人生) and his life (生命) are being taken... Masako seems to be directly opposed to the group Kanba is working with. Ergo, it's very possible the group is also related to Sanetoshi. As an aside Masako also mentioned that Kanba might have ulterior feelings for Himari which has been hinted at a few times already.
Himari's jealousy of Hibari and Hikari is also becoming quite apparent.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
Spoiler:
At first, the way Yuri was talking made it seem as if she was Momoka somehow.

Yea, that's what I thought too.
Spoiler:
The dialogues before the reveal was so misleading. >_< Yuri was acting unrealistically nice to Ringo back then with the love potion frog thingy, which I thought would've made sense if Yuri was Momoka somehow...
:o
Things sure got much more serious compared to back when they were stalking the stalker Ringo.
For a while I actually find the whole Ringo arc pretty boring but
Spoiler:
the story went I don't even know what it's trying to do since the kidnapping ordeal, while being AWESOME.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2011, 12:26:45 PM »
I'm usually all for yuri but I hope someone stops them.

These feelings I don't understand them

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Drake

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2011, 07:05:45 AM »
GAAAAAAAHH SO MUCH PLOT REVELATION IN ONE EPISODE

SO MUCH DETAIL

I AM WINNER

I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
And then Penguindrum became Princess Tutu!

Spoiler:
Yuri's Project M is all but stated to be Project Momoka.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2011, 07:43:11 AM »
Spoiler:
Dear god, Yuri's father made my stomach fucking twist into knots. What a horrible, horrible person.

That said, Momoka is an incredible friend. It's understandable to see why Yuri wants her back. Even if she's completely insane. :x

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2011, 07:44:43 AM »
There is just so much going on, every episode a pile drive to the brain. x_x This show is such a roller-coaster, and I love it.

Spoiler:
To say what isn't on everyone's minds, I wonder what Masako wants with the diary? And even more alarmingly, what does the Princess of the Crystal want? Especially since this girl comes "at the end of their fate?"
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »
Oh, and also, who else caught the screen grab in the middle of the two halves of the episode? There's a big turn in the track coming up. Oh boy, gotta wonder what's around the bend...

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
This series loves to give my mind seizures

AND I LOVE IT

In all seriousness I have never
Spoiler:
Hated a character as much as I hated Yuri's dad, because seriously. That's just plain horrible. No wonder Yuri's so messed up.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
re: Yuri's dad,
Spoiler:
how did an asshole like him ever reproduce with a willing female? what a jackass. Momoka was such a wonderful friend. ;_; Yuri, you were and are beautiful.

And I think we're supposed to come to the conclusion that it was the Destiny Diary's payment for a change in fate that killed Momoka, not the terrorist attack proper. Or maybe she knew her end was coming and decided to throw away her increasingly shrinking chances of living in exchange for one last change of fate. But what was it?
I'm willing to bet on that upcoming turn in the tracks to start leading us down the road to finding out.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
re: Yuri's dad,
Spoiler:
how did an asshole like him ever reproduce with a willing female? what a jackass.

Spoiler:
I have this horrible, horrible feeling that... well, she wasn't willing. I wouldn't put it past that despicable bastard. Especially with the symbolism and implications with what he was doing to Yuri. -_____-

Spoiler:
Momoka was such a wonderful friend. ;_; Yuri, you were and are beautiful.

And I think we're supposed to come to the conclusion that it was the Destiny Diary's payment for a change in fate that killed Momoka, not the terrorist attack proper. Or maybe she knew her end was coming and decided to throw away her increasingly shrinking chances of living in exchange for one last change of fate. But what was it?
I'm willing to bet on that upcoming turn in the tracks to start leading us down the road to finding out.

Spoiler:
She really was a wonderful friend. Goddamn it, Ikuhara.

Anyway, my theory with Momoka's death, because she died on the day Ringo was born, is that something went wrong while her mother was giving birth, or that Ringo herself was failing to thrive after she was born (and therefore would have died), and Momoka sacrificed herself to change their fate.

Since the Diary's effect makes it so no one realizes what happens when fate is changed, I think it is implied in the characters' minds that Momoka died in the terrorist attack, but how would a gas attack make it so nothing is left of her while the Diary remains? Sacrificing herself for her mother or sister's fate, however...

:ohdear:

EDIT: Oh, on a lighter note: I love the new OP. Though, it's a bit of a shame that Nornir only just grew on me a week or so ago. :x
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:35:53 PM by Matsuringo Oginome »

Drake

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Remember, they were explosions, not a sarin attack. Her uh being on fire and/or just plain vanishing isn't out of the realm of probable, and likely the 'punishment' doesn't have much to do with the physical world anyways, it just engulfed and vanished her. The diary would obviously stay in tact.

Honestly though this episode threw so much that I can't catch enough to wind into an actual theory yet. I might have to rewatch.

Spoiler:
The only thing I'm fairly positive on immediately is Sanetoshi double-ending both Kanba and Masako. Kanba's payments to Sanetoshi include his own "life" (time/effort, not force as it was with the Princess). The people he's working under are related to Sanetoshi, but the payments are made to Sanetoshi. He probably doesn't need the money at all. Masako on the other hand is in at least phone contact with Sanetoshi to receive hints about where the diary can be found, yet all of Masako's antagonists are also related to Sanetoshi. It's probable Sanetoshi wants the diary. The serum Sanetoshi uses is probably not medicine, but instead a source where the fate-changing power can be used. The Princess of the Crystal's power is also this power, as well as the Diary. They all change fate, and it's only become clear now that saving Himari and Mario use the power to change fate. There are many theory branches I can almost reach from here, but again this episode was packed.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
Also, I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that
Spoiler:
by the end of the series, fate will have changed so that the explosions became the gas attacks. After all, while I'm not 100% sure because of the weird angle, I'm pretty sure that the "tower" turned into Tokyo tower. Again, not 100% sure (if not for the whole Momoka living in Japan thing, I'd say that it was actually in France and they just spoke Japanese instead of French) but that's my guess, at least. After all, this does all take place in Tokyo.)

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »
re: whatever it is
Spoiler:
Yuri wants to keep hidden
, spoilers for Utena the Movie in the second spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm wondering if it's not something her father did to her-- a permanent and very visible scar or set of scars (or, if you really wanted some black comedy, a scar in the shape of a penguin).
Spoiler:
I can't help thinking of Anthy's carved-out heart cavity in the Utena movie.

nintendonut888

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
Huh, it just hit me.

Spoiler:
The revelation that Momoka's diary changes fate when written in suddenly brings a whole new perspective to everything that is written there. Could she have been messing with Tabuki's fate too?

Speaking of, it seems that Tabuki is the only person in the anime who isn't in on the conspiracy surrounding the diary (well, besides Himari). We just learned all of Yuri's motives, I wonder if Tabuki will get his own episode soon?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »
Ah,
Spoiler:
today's Survival Strategy made my day.

Even still, pineapple Natsume is the best thing ever.

Anyway, that last dream, I... I just... I don't know what to make of all that. Weird crap is going down, and I'll leave it to somebody else to analyze.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2011, 06:37:32 AM »
The Princess of the Crystal is a top-notch troll, second only to Ikuhara himself. That ending theme.

Also, her camera
Spoiler:
can drive women to orgasm!
On that note, I'm so ridiculously happy to have Rock Over Japan back. Been too long since we last heard it.

Drake

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
I'll be throwing out more textwalls once I watch 17, but I'd like to just mention we really needed an episode for Masako. Meanwhile, Kanba, as expected, is essentially swan-diving off the deep end.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »
Holy shit, this episode.
Spoiler:
Masako vs. Yuri standoff scene was awesome, that music <3
Tabuki's in on the whole thing after all. And he's snapped, so much for forgiving the kids O__O
Also the end to the Survival Strategy sequence. Uhm....Kanba? O__o

Gonna look forward to Drake's analysis on all of this.

Drake

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2011, 08:00:02 AM »
Spoiler:
Although the penguins make for pretty obscure hints, first thing I noticed is that both penguins get marauded by the octopus. At the hospital, #2 just munches on it while #1 takes the initiative and tries to chop it up. #1 then gets tired and gets caught. Then both #1 and #2 are caught, and #3 saves them both. Hint hint, nudge nudge. Also I realized in episode 10 Himari's friends say they're bound together by fate, and therefore the subway skits they do might be directly associated with her rather than just general notes. This episode having "somebody is targeting you" is a pretty blatant support for this.

As it was leaning towards, the Penguindrum isn't exactly the diary. This seems to be the first time the Princess has faltered, so it's a pretty blatant "nope". This in itself is pretty hilarious; most of the series is focused around the diary, and if it turned out to be nothing more than a diary that Momoka just happened to write in, that would be incredible. The fact that the Princess is well again serves me to believe that the medicine is either kindred to the Princess' power (to transfer life/change fate) or the medicine affects the Princess and she in turn keeps Himari alive by taking Kanba's life. However, obviously since she wants the diary, she has some motive that is yet to be explained. When hinting that ignoring the Penguindrum would lead to the loss of who's important to them, it's neat because Himari isn't necessarily that person. Ignoring the Penguindrum might mean Kanba would die quickly, and there's a possibility that if someone else obtains it, that will lead to losing who's most important (it's probably Himari, but I'm just leaving myself open). That in particular would support the Princess wanting to foil Sanetoshi, which would also fit with "why would you save her?" when he saves Himari, since she houses the Princess and they're against each other etc. Finally the Princess once again flips a table by saying "it" is something of Kanba's, since it isn't immediately obvious what "it" could be. I for one have no clue; it might as well be Kanba's wang.

I pretty much figured Tabuki knew more than he seemed back when Ringo talked to him last. About the Tabuki-Yuri talk, I just find it a bit ironic that they're claiming they're the only ones who know the diary's true power, when the diary itself might not have necessarily ever done anything (especially since the Princess hints at the diary not being the Penguindrum). This is also the first time Yuri has ever really expressed that she doesn't like Shouma whatsoever. From the sound of it, they both seem to think that Momoka attempted to circumvent the bombings and she died using the diary. However, I can't really believe that just yet. When Sanetoshi talked about Momoka, he said she rejected him; likely because he thought he could see the optimal path for the world, but it infringed on Momoka's values. Right now though, Episode 13 is even more confusing now than it was before. Sanetoshi talking to the Princess about Momoka seems to imply that the Princess is Momoka (and thus he's challenging her), while the presence of two hats implies the Princess could be controlling both Himari and Mario. Sanetoshi now seems to have control over both Kanba and Masako, so there's the direct contrast of Sanetoshi and the Princess again. In 13 he told her to "watch" as fate unfolds to see if it can be changed. Then there's the whole child broiler thing, Momoka vanishing during the bombings, what would the purpose of the diary actually be if it doesn't contain any power, etc. We also don't know if there's a relation between Sanetoshi, Yuri and Tabuki, since they aren't shown to have been with each other despite knowing Momoka. Does Sanetoshi actually love Momoka? The Princess? Bah.

Hospital scene again, Kanba and Shouma head out to leave, octopus comes back. Hint hint. The bear-eating-fish and penguin-eating-octopus probably means something, but I can't pin it (it's probable the bear is Ringo and the penguin in Himari, though). The rest of the episode seems to be dedicated to Yuri and Tabuki attempting to take down the Takakuras, but honestly that's pretty confusing too. Initially, Tabuki said he didn't harbor a grudge. I mean, obviously having Yuri be stopped by Masako when it was pointing to her being the main threat the whole time was a nice literary feign, but it's still odd. It would be pretty great if the winner of the gunfight was Masako, and Yuri, being hit with the balls, would forget about the diary, or something.

Also, I'm now almost thinking that Tabuki is leading Ringo and Himari away from Yuri. During their talk it was exceedingly obvious that Yuri wanted to exact revenge, but Tabuki didn't. If he truly believed that the children don't deserve punishment, then he should have picked up on Yuri's hostility and may be attempting to save them, which may or may not be supported by him calling Yuri, and her not answering would give him the clue that she was about to do take action, so he intervened and found them first.
Again though that isn't necessarily true and he could totally be ready to shoot Himari in the face, but whatever.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:32:33 AM by Drake »

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:44 PM »
Spoiler:
Yuri versus Natsume with flower petals flying everywhere
was absolutely amazing. :*

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
Holy hell what an episode.
Spoiler:
So now we finally have Tabuki's past, and info about the organization Kanba is working with. Things are coming together.
I had almost forgotten about the scars on Tabuki's hand, had always wondered where those came from.
He saved himself *barely* from being the most horrible person (character-wise) in the show in the end, by saving Himari. Though I don't even want to think about the physics of that whole scene with the wires, those were way out in fiction land.

Symbolism gauge went to max during the Child Broiler sequence. So from how I see it it's a place where kids that have something special or that their parents have high expectation for go to when they can't fulfill the expectations, to become normal, "invisible", people like most everyone else.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »
The anime has lots of interesting concepts and ideas

Spoiler:
Looks like the child broiler from episode 9 makes it's appearance again, and it seems that children in there have no future and are condemned to suffer a horrible fate.  From what we have seen, they can be saved two ways; Sanetoshi's fruit of fate, and Momoka's fate transfer.  The interesting thing is that Momoka's grace is based on self-sacrifice and Christ-like love, and is pretty much eternal with no strings attached, compared to Sanetoshi's, which are temporary and vulgar, requiring many many payments that lead to nowhere (hence the black rabbits and the Faustian deals).  I think the war would be a small-scale clash between the two powers over Himari's fate, and that Kanba's decisions will be critical in it.

There are also two variations on the fruit or fate, the natural ones with the Pingroup logo bestowed onto the world that drop randomly out of nowhere (possibly from the World Tree), and which signifies 'natural' fate, and the artificial ones with the syringe logo manufactured by Sanetoshi, which signifies fate bought with a price.  The doctor in episode 1 and the miracle of Himari living longer than she should under his care, for example, were all miracles in the conventional sense which required nothing from anyone, while his replacement in Sanetoshi exacted huge prices for distilling that miracle (natural fruit of fate) into reusable syringes that gave temporary certainty of life (but as the Princess ironically says, her eventual death is still a certainty).  This also fits in nicely with the "Mary and the Little Lamb" story; when the natural fruit of fate stopped falling from the World Tree, Mary turned to the two black rabbits instead for their artificial fruit of fate, and had to pay the appropriate payment for defiling fate.

Sanetoshi's point is probably that no matter how people try and defy their fate, whether it be through Momoka's power or his manufactured fruit, the intricate web of petty human concepts such as mutual bitterness and revenge will cause them to conform to their original fates anyway, as is the case in Tabuki and Yuri, who do not have the strength to move on and forge new relationships, even with each other (metaphorically dead).  Momoka's wish is that people can be saved in some way through selflessness, forgiveness and mutual love, and it seemed that way with how she saved Yuri and Tabuki and had times of bliss which could not have happened if they had died anyway.  Kanba's sacrifices will thus be judged; Sanetoshi probably thinks that his actions are all a joke which will probably lead to nowhere but the destination of his fate, while Momoka's view (maybe embodied through the Princess) is that through self-sacrifice (the PenguinDrum), Kanba can actually save Himari from the clutches of fate.

As for the PenguinDrum,
Spoiler:
these from episode 9 are totally it; the epic zoom and everything at the end of the flashback says all.

Spoiler:
It could just be a tambourine though.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »
While
Spoiler:
that tambourine could totally be the Penguindrum, I have no clue what the Ocarina is for. Penguinocarina? I suppose it's not too far-fetched, they have animal-shaped pendant Ocarinas for kids. But that's a Transverse, so who knows?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »
All right, finally caught up on Penguindrum 18 and 19 both at once with Donut and Matsy...

Masako is extremely cool. I really think it's awesome that she was able to casually walk into their house and turn the Takakuras' world upside down yet again.

Spoiler:
Speaking of: the hypothesizing about adopted Takakura siblings is right, at least in part. Am I cynical for thinking that this is all set up only so Himari and Kanba won't be blood-related? >__> I mean, incest has never gone over well in Ikuhara works (see Utena).

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »
All right, finally caught up on Penguindrum 18 and 19 both at once with Donut and Matsy...

...and my head is still spinning. What did I just watch? @_@

Masako is extremely cool. I really think it's awesome that she was able to casually walk into their house and turn the Takakuras' world upside down yet again.

Spoiler:
Speaking of: the hypothesizing about adopted Takakura siblings is right, at least in part. Am I cynical for thinking that this is all set up only so Himari and Kanba won't be blood-related? >__> I mean, incest has never gone over well in Ikuhara works (see Utena).

Spoiler:
Not really, but I think I would have been equally and simultaneously surprised and not surprised either way. After all, in the end of 19, it is shown that it only shows Shouma and Himari-- which is the Takakura, and which one is Kanba related to, if at all? After all, according to Mr. Takakura, when Mrs. Takakura gave birth, he made mention of 'it's a boy' and not 'twin boys' or whatever. Who knows-- maybe none of them are blood relatives.

Or, random theory-- Kanba and Himari are blood relatives, Shouma is not. This is just a guess made by connecting blood type with soul compatibility or something-- note that during survival strategies, Shouma is always sent down the trap door, and Kanba always stays to initiate the survival strategy-- whatever that implies. Just a thought.

EDIT: Also, the ED is so catchy~
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:08:20 AM by Matsuringo Oginome »

nintendonut888

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
Kyu. @.@