Author Topic: Let's initiate the Survival Strategy. Mawaru Penguindrum thread!  (Read 57298 times)

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Let's initiate the Survival Strategy. Mawaru Penguindrum thread!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
This series will definitely be worth a rewatch, though I will wait till it's over for that. I already noticed a number of things that completely eluded me the first time I watched in the single minute of Ep9 I checked earlier. I can't even begin to imagine how it will be to watch everything again once we have answers. As much answers as we will get, anyway, since yeah, probably a lot gonna stay open at this rate.

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 05:53:51 PM »
Insert songs/OST do want for this series when they're released, love how they're performing classic songs like Daddy's Shoes. Also, finally remembered to order for the first of the Penguindrum novels when I was preordering the blu-rays, according to Ikuhara, there are going to be a total of 3 volumes. Loving the anime so far too, definitely glad it's a 2 cour series.

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
You know, I can't help but think that in many ways, this will be like Utena, in that we'll never get a straight answer on a lot of these questions. Most other stories give in and spill the beans in a revealing episode near the end, but I am not entirely sure we'll get that from Ikuhara. ^^' He's perfectly comfortable leaving us uncomfortable in ambiguity, so...
That's honestly a lot of the fun of this series, I like that deliberate vagueness and openness to interpretation.

Also, any word on when Nornir (the OP) will be released as a single if it hasn't already? I'm kinda looking forward to it.

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
That's honestly a lot of the fun of this series, I like that deliberate vagueness and openness to interpretation.

Also, any word on when Nornir (the OP) will be released as a single if it hasn't already? I'm kinda looking forward to it.
Single is coming out October 5th in Japan last I checked, so about another week.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:28 PM »
Aww. I thought it was supposed to be out by the end of the month.

Oh well, I love Dear Future so much more than the OP anyway. :*

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »
The only time I paid attention to the OP was when I was first watching it for all its crazy symbolism.

Spoiler:
Until I looked at the lyrics near the end, when the Kiga apple appears, and the lyrics go "Mou sugu kimi ga ai ni kuru you na ki ga shite"

I want to say it was totally unintentional, but with Ikuhara...  ???

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 04:08:13 AM »
Oh, good! I'm glad there's a release date for the single. I was a little worried, considering it took like years to get all of the Utena music out on the market.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 03:56:45 AM »
Just saw ep. 12.

The first half of the episode
Spoiler:
pretty much went as everyone expected
.  The second half... I can't even begin to describe.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 05:24:35 AM »
episode 12

I hear my brain cells exploding as I try to make sense of this

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 05:25:40 AM »
Just wrapped up episode 12.

GAH CLIFFHANGERS CLIFFHANGERS GAH

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
Episode 12.

.____________________________________.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »
I...

Uh.

:ohdear:
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 06:03:08 AM »
Okay, so I think we can say that
Spoiler:
while it's definitely heavily referencing the Aum-incident, the incident in the series is not the *same* (bombs instead of gas etc.), thus I guess there lies the explanation for how the parents will be able to continue family life after it for a while. Maybe noone found out the responsible organization, or at least the members.

As for the rest of the episode... what the heck. Also, SAAAANEEEETOOOOSHIIIIIIII. What's that bastard up to again?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
Okay, so I think we can say that
Spoiler:
while it's definitely heavily referencing the Aum-incident, the incident in the series is not the *same* (bombs instead of gas etc.),
Yeah, I did definitely notice that.
Spoiler:
It was mentioned that all they managed to find of Momoka was her diary, which doesn't make sense if it was a sarin gas attack-- it's not like sarin gas incinerates the victim or something.

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
Hm, my gut tells me there's a possibility that
Spoiler:
Momoka isn't actually dead if they never found the body, which would put a huge wrench in the whole "Ringo is her reincarnation" and Project M business.

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
Also,
Spoiler:
Mrs. Takakura apparently only gave birth to one boy that day,
if we take it at face value.  The cynical part of me thinks that
Spoiler:
they're gonna use it to justify Kanba/Himari-cest,
but we'll see.

I found the
Spoiler:
lamb story
pretty interesting.  Seems like
Spoiler:
Mary would be Mr. Takakura, the lambs are the siblings, the rabbits are that shady company/cult/whatever  that he worked for, and the stealing of the ashes would be the bombing.  So what might be that 'mystical apple tree' that Mr. Takakura risked his children's well-being over?  And the Goddess as well?  It also showed that Shoma might not be completely right in the head either (which is nice, because he's been the least interesting character in the show up till now imo)

Spoiler:
lol at the terrorist attack being codenamed 'Survival Strategy'

Spoiler:
All the stuff with Kanba, Penguin Himari and pink-haired dude still confuse the hell out of me

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
Also,
Spoiler:
Mrs. Takakura apparently only gave birth to one boy that day,
if we take it at face value.  The cynical part of me thinks that
Spoiler:
they're gonna use it to justify Kanba/Himari-cest,
but we'll see.
Actually, I think it's the reverse.
Spoiler:
I think Shouma's adopted, and Himari is Kanba's biological brother, which is still incest.

Speaking of,
Spoiler:
ALL THOSE SEXUAL METAPHORS AND THAT MOANING
, oh my god. But the BGM during that scene was just soooooooo good. Ikuhara, why do you do this?

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

:getdown:

And I think the
Spoiler:
connection between the penguins and their owners is pretty much confirmed now.

Also,
Spoiler:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the dark bunnies have something to do with the attacks. That still makes me laugh every time I see it. Dark bunnies. Pfft.

One last thing from me:
Spoiler:
Discontinuity in the diary and what actually happens. In Momoka's diary, she ends up marrying Tabuki if I'm not mistaken, but they were both in Elementary school when she died. Thus, either she was making it up/dreaming about her future, it's her actual fate and she'll either return later on to marry him, it's her actual fate and someone screwed it up, or it's not actually her diary but something put there by someone else. After all, why would a regular diary survive bombings like that, when its owner didn't?

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »
I just marathoned the show up to episode 12, and I have to say I have not experienced pacing as mad as this since Gurren Lagann. I'll stay away from theorizing and whatnot, but I'll definitely say that with just the tiniest of tonal change (they'd just need to remove the Stripping Disco Princess), this show could be one of the most horrifying things in years, with its extremely thorough and usually straight take on the awful shit people do to each other, and the consequences thereof. Definite kudos to the writers there.

Also, to the spoiler-bar talk upthread: consider that sometimes a penguin is just a penguin. Knowing anime it's probably not, but it's what I'm subscribing to for the moment.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 04:10:09 AM »
Actually, I tentatively take back what I said about the dialogue in episode 12
Spoiler:
possibly hinting that Shouma is adopted
. According to some other Penguindrum fans I hang out with,
Spoiler:
the dialogue is very careful to not specify either. Japanese doesn't force that dialogue to assign a single or multiple term to that conversation, so it sounds like a single boy is born but the dialogue is noticeably, awkwardly, very careful to NOT confirm that.

Anyway, IS IT THURSDAY YET?

EDIT: On a less spoilery note, I wonder if/how the antarctic discovery photo in episode 12 is connected to everything. It's worth noting that the photo of the team was of the 36th Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition that discovered Yukimarimo.

Drake

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 05:25:22 AM »
naked loli in my brainbase anime

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »
According to some other Penguindrum fans I hang out with,
Spoiler:
the dialogue is very careful to not specify either. Japanese doesn't force that dialogue to assign a single or multiple term to that conversation, so it sounds like a single boy is born but the dialogue is noticeably, awkwardly, very careful to NOT confirm that.
Spoiler:
I was already wondering about that, but I'm not fluent enough in Japanese yet that I could've made a call on it. Yeah, when the father says "otokonoko" it can mean any unspecified number of boys. I don't share the notion that it was "awkwardly" put in the phrase. It may be awkward for people like us who are used to having words clearly be singular or plural, but given that the father was on the receiving end of the conversation and confirming information the other person gave him, not giving it himself, the way he used the most unspecified term seems pretty normal to me. If he had been telling someone else about the birth, it would have been awkward to not mention some kind of plural, but given the situation it's more of a clever move on part of the writer to use it like that.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
Soooo, episode 13.
My main reaction is once more:
Spoiler:
SAAAANEEEETOOOOSHIIIIII! What are you up to, you bastard?

Also random thoughts:
Spoiler:
Could the girl that appeared to Sanetoshi be Momoka? It would certainly fit in with the way all characters are linked somehow. And depending on how you interprete that scene where he sends the girl off, it kinda seems like she is the one possessing the penguin-hat. So that would mean that it's possibly Momoka possessing Himari whenever she turns into the Princess.
Also what the heck happened to Tabuki as a child to cause those scars on his fingers? O__O

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
Well, certainly interesting to see Sanetoshi's character and motivations being developed. And I appear to be wrong about
Spoiler:
Ikebe's role in things
, although this could change with further revelations.

Also, new ED. While it certainly captures the recent shift in the series's tone, it'll take a while for it to grow on me like Dear Future did.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
Another thing I find interesting is how Shouma and Ringo's relation has their roles pretty much flipped 180 by now.
Spoiler:
Ringo has come to terms with the fact that she is not Momoka and won't become her, at least that's how it appears right now, all thanks to Shouma's efforts. But now it's Shouma who is going mental with the guilt for what his parents did and Ringo is the one who tries to comfort him.

Drake

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 07:16:05 AM »
Spoiler:
I don't think the Princess of the Crystal is Momoka is the clairvoyant girl. Momoka is probably the clairvoyant, but considering the Princess was asking Sanetoshi about the girl,  she probably isn't the Princess as well. What's worth mentioning as well is that in saving Himari's life, it's possible he also saved the Princess. Looked like it was pretty obvious that the Princess was dying as well. The medicine administered is probably something akin to the Princess' power as well. If apples are the universe and the universe is fated, then the apples are fate too. Medicine was totally in an  apple. Apples were everywhere this episode.

If you look at Momoka's portrait and compare it to the running girl they're pretty much the same. The sixteen years ago thing (again) is obviously on purpose too. Why weren't they going to be together? Because they both knew she would die.  Momoka didn't want to accept the fate of her death and rejected her abilities.  This is visualized in how she hides in a bookshelf space, then takes her shoes off. The Princess has evidently shown little interest in Ringo, but she  was attempting to get Momoka's diary. Of "fate". What's likely happened is that Momoka put together a diary of what she imagined her life to be if she wasn't going to die, in an attempt to twist her fate. This is why it's continued much past her death, and thus Ringo attempting to follow it to "become Momoka"  is very fitting. When she died, Momoka had gotten on the train later that day. It's obvious now that she did this to try and avoid what she thought to be where she would die, although it still happened. Immediately after that revelation the woman says "Luck wasn't with her". The Princess points to the diary being the Penguindrum because she knows Momoka is the clairvoyant and it's one of the only remaining things she possessed when she died, and is a testament to changing fate.

Now that I think about it, it's quite possible that Momoka didn't die, and managed to avoid her own death, which is why the diary was left behind and why there was no trace of her. What's fun is that if that were the case, Tabuki "not believing" Momoka is dead would be right, and he does in fact say it again this episode, that he "still can't believe it happened". Also in that scene, mark the importance of one black cat walking, then three following in line, then another single cat. The three cats are then shown behind the frog, and leaving.

I like how in the ED, Himari is shown twice, and Shouma and Kanba's hand are shown at the end, Kanba's being darkened and red.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
Ah, I see, that clears up a few points. I really don't pay enough attention at times :V

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
Watching episode 13 last night, for whatever reason the only thing I was really able to concentrate on was Sanetoshi's fabulous boots. Good god, I want a pair just like them.

AxiamWolfe

• Virtual Jet Jockey too
  • 生存戦略!
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
Episode 14......

Spoiler:
Heavily implied that Yuri is a hermaphrodite, revealed that she has the other half of Momoka's diary, and she's pushing for the Ringo -> Momoka thing again.

Another thing I find interesting is how Shouma and Ringo's relation has their roles pretty much flipped 180 by now.
Spoiler:
Ringo has come to terms with the fact that she is not Momoka and won't become her, at least that's how it appears right now, all thanks to Shouma's efforts. But now it's Shouma who is going mental with the guilt for what his parents did and Ringo is the one who tries to comfort him.
More of this too, with Shouma outright pushing her away now.
Damn, do i feel sorry for Ringo.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
Damn, do i feel sorry for Ringo.
Indeed ;___;

Spoiler:
And now we're in for Yuri yuri :V