Author Topic: Marking Heights on the Wall  (Read 10126 times)

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
Marking Heights on the Wall
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
Quote from: ZUN's E-mails
> ? About how tall is everyone?
> Even a rough idea, like order of height, would be fine.
> I personally wonder about how small the young girls, Cirno, Rumia and the fairies are.
> About 120?130 cm?

I might officially announce an order of height if there's a demand (since I set up a height comparison chart in
the production materials).

However, backing up a bit...generally speaking, they're about as tall as girls in their early teens ['10代前半' means 10 to 14 years old].  A
suitable breakdown would be something like:
Tall: Sakuya, Meiling, Yukari
Fairly Tall: Reimu, Yuyuko, Alice, Letty, Ran
Fairly Short: Marisa, Youmu, Patchouli, Lunasa, Merlin
Short: Remilia, Lyrica, Chen, Cirno, Rumia, Flandre
Basically, if we consider the top level as the height of a human in her late teens or older ['10代後半以降' means 15 years old or above] and the bottom
level as the height of a human in her early teens ['10代前半' ], that puts them in a fairly short class (though none of that
level are human).  If their sizes appear to be different on the game screen than given above, it's because of
some mystic force like perspective, so pay it no mind. :-)

What ZUN has written here is, among many other things, a height chart.  However, it has only covered some of the Windows characters from EoSD to PCB including Reimu and Marisa.  Even with this chart, however, there have been wildly different interpretations as to how tall the Touhou characters are, not to mention this chart doesn't even cover a fraction of the many, many characters out there.

Now, think of how you view each character.  More specifically, how tall do you see each character?  For some characters, like Kanako and Yuugi, that answer might come easily.  However, for others, like Satori, Nue, and any of our newcomers from Ten Desires, we may not immediately have an idea of how tall they are.  The goal of this thread is to take this template:

Tall:
Fairly Tall:
Fairly Short:
Short:

...and fill it in with as many Touhou characters as you can...or as many as you want; there are so many of them.

Here is my list:

Tall: Byakuren, Yukari, Ran, Meiling, Shou, Sariel, Konngara, Yuugi, Kanako, Mima, Yumemi, Yuuka, Shinki, Iku, Mokou, Eirin, Yuyuko, Komachi, Youki, Yumeko, Keine, Rinnosuke, Toyohime, Yorihime, Letty

Fairly Tall: Reimu, Sakuya, Sanae, Seiga, Utsuho, Miko, Tojiko, Shingyoku, Meira, Alice, Luize, Rikako, Tenshi, Layla, Reisen, Kaguya, Kasen, Hatate, Aya, Mamizou, Elly, Minoriko, Hina, Orin, Momiji, Murasa, Ichirin, Renko, Maribel

Fairly Short: Satori, Parsee, Nue, Kogasa, Futo, Yoshika, Kikuri, Rika, Kotohime, Chiyuri, Lunasa, Merlin, Youmu, Marisa, Shikieiki, Koakuma, Ruukoto, Yuki, Mai, Patchouli, Mugetsu, Gengetsu, Elis, Kurumi, Shizuha, Nitori, Satsuki Rin, Ellen, YuugenMagan, Sara

Short: Rumia, Daiyousei, Cirno, Star Sapphire, Luna Child, Sunny Milk, Flandre, Remilia, Suwako, Yamame, Kisume, Nazrin, Kyouko, Koishi, Lyrica, Mystia, Wriggle, Tewi, Lily White, Suika, Medicine, Orange, Reisen 2, Akyuu, Tokiko, Chen

* I see PC98 Alice, Marisa, and Reimu in the "short" category
* Kikuri would probably fit in either as "fairly short" or "fairly tall"

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Re: Marking Heights on the Wall
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »
This is the part where I'm a bit leery on following Zun's comments too closely: aside from the height categories being vague (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) it also brings up a few points such as "how tall are girls in the same group compared to each other?" or "how tall is 'tall'?". Okay, that last point was actually answered, but I honestly kind of ignore it since I see Kanako and Yuugi, for example, as being pretty tall in comparison to a Japanese girl in her late teens.

I have a list of Touhous according to height in inches (frankly, the reason I did that was to have a more specific scale than 'tallest' and 'fifth tallest'), but I'll need a bit to track it down.

zephyredx

• Car = ma
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
Interesting idea...what made you put Marisa under fairly short but the other four playable characters under fairly tall?
Why is Youmu afraid of Unzan?

Because the things that her sword cannot cut are next to nun!

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:50 AM »
Only counting people with a shown human form here, so sorry for lack of YuugenMagan, Layla Prismriver, Rin Satsuki, etc.  Also full game 10D people not included because guess what I don't have yet.  These are not in any sort of height order; I basically filled it in game by game.

Freakin' Huge: Yukari, Meiling, Komachi, Yuugi, Byakuren

Tall: Rinnosuke, Ran, Yuyuko, Sakuya, Eirin, Keine, Mokou, Yuuka, Kanako, Iku, Shou, Toyohime, Yorihime, Kasen, Konngara, Sariel, Shingyoku-M, Yumeko, Shinki

Above Average: Reimu, Letty, Alice, Koakuma, Reisen, Kaguya, Aya, Shikieiki, Sanae, Minoriko, Momiji, Orin, Utsuho, Tenshi, Ichirin, Nue, Hatate, Yoshika, Mary, Shingyoku-F, Mima, Meira, Yumemi, Ruukoto, Kotohime, Elly, Gengetsu

Below Average: Marisa, Lunasa, Merlin, Patchouli, Wriggle, Nitori, Hina, Shizuha, Yamame, Parsee, Murasa, Kogasa, Kyouko, Renko, Kikuri, Elis, Chiyuri, Rikako, Kurumi, Mugetsu, Sara, Luize, Yuki, Mai

Short: Youmu, Lyrica, Chen, Rumia, Remilia, Flandre, Mystia, Suika, Medicine, Suwako, Satori, Koishi, Nazrin, Reisen II, Rika, Kana, Ellen, Orange

Tiny: All the fairies, Tewi, Kisume, Akyuu

The borders between the classes are probably Byakuren-Rinnosuke, Kasen-Letty, Hatate-Patchouli, Wriggle-Koishi, and Flandre-Akyuu.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
Tall: Yukari, Ran, Meiling, Yuugi, Komachi, Kanako, Eirin, Utsuho, Rinnosuke, Shou, Byakuren

Order: Yuugi, Rinnosuke, Komachi, Shou, Kanako, Meiling, Ran, Utsuho,Yukari, Eirin, Byakuren

Only doing that one for now. Time fer some danmaku~

Katierou

• Wolf It Down!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:35:12 AM »
Added a couple categories, and even organized them by height within their categories. Hope that's alright! (OCD)  :3

Incredibly Tall: Komachi < Byakuren < Utsuho < Yuugi < Kanako = Yukari
Tall: Nue < Mamizou = Rin < Shou < Keine < Futo < Yuyuko < Sakuya < Eirin < Meiling = Ran
Fairly Tall: Satori < Captain Murasa < Letty < Yoshika < Tenshi < Hina < Kaguya = Mokou < Reisen < Momiji = Sanae < Iku = Miko < Tojiko < Aya < Reimu < Hatate < Alice
Fairly Short: Kyouko < Youmu < Koakuma < Minoriko < Patchouli < Yamame < Merlin < Shizuha = Lunasa < Kogasa = Koishi < Ichirin < Marisa < Parsee = Seiga
Short: Medicine < Wriggle < Flandre < Remilia < Rumia < Chen = Mystia < Nitori < Suwako < Nazrin
Incredibly Short: Kisume = Cirno < Luna = Sunny = Star < Lily < Tewi < Suika

Characters on either end of a list could probably go in the other category they're on the border with. It was hard to decide some of these, and they may be a bit inconsistent, pardon.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:38:01 AM »
where is kilga we need kilga

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
Only doing EoSD to TD, since I'm quite unfamiliar with PC98

Very Tall: Yukari, Eirin, Yuuka, Kanako, Iku, Yuuji, Utsuho, Unzan, Byakuren
Tall: Sakuya, Yuyuko, Ran, Kaguya, Mokou, Shikieiki, Momiji, Shou, Nue
Kinda Tall: Meiling, Remilia, Letty, Alice, Lunasa, Reisen, Komachi, Sanae, Hina, Aya, Tenshi, Orin, Koishi, Ichirin, Murasa, Yoshika, Seiga, Futo, Miko, Mamizou
Average/Base Marker: Reimu, Marisa
Kinda Short: Patchouli, Flandre, Youmu, Lyrica and Merlin, Keine, Nitori, Yamane, Satori, Nazrin, Kogasa, Hatate, Kyouko, Tojiko
Short: Rumia, Daiyousei, Chen, Suika, Wriggle, Mystia, Shizuha, Minoriko, Suwako, Parsee
Very Short: Cirno, Lily, Koakuma, Tewi, Medicine, Kisume, Three Fairies
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:59:48 PM by GuppyForce »

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Will add more PC-98 eventually. No TD characters for now either since I haven't really gotten a mental image of them yet.

Larger than life (Colossal): Namazu < Yuugen Magann < Hisou Tensoku = Unzan < Kikuri < Dragon God
FEE FI FO FUM (2+ meters): Kanako = Shinki < Utsuho < Yuugi
Very tall (1.8 to 2 meters): Yuyuko = Letty < Yukari = Eirin < Ran = Byakuren = Mima < Yuuka < Meiling = Komachi
Tall (1.7 to 1.8 meters): Reisen < Sakuya = Keine < Aya = Hatate < Shou = Momiji = Rinnosuke < Iku
Fairly tall (1.5 to 1.7 meters): Reimu = Tenshi = Nitori < Sanae = Alice < Yamame = Hina < Orin = Ichirin = Kasen < Mokou = Kaguya
Fairly short (1.3 to 1.5 meters): Shikieiki < Patchouli < Marisa = Nue < Youmu = Lyrica < Parsee = Lunasa < Murasa = Merlin < Minoriko = Shizuha
Short (1.0 to 1.3 meters): Akyuu = Lily < Flandre < Remilia < Wriggle = Chen < Suika = Suwako < Koishi < Satori < Mystia = Nazrin < Koakuma
Oompa Loompas (Shorter than 1 meter):  Small fairies < Most fairies = Cirno = Sunny Milk = Luna Child = Star Sapphire = Kisume < Tewi = Rumia = Medicine < Daiyousei
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:46:48 PM by OkashiiKisei »