Author Topic: The New Generation (RP Sign-Up and Info) (Sign-ups closed to new entrants)  (Read 69076 times)

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
Gensokyo. A land of beauty. A land of tradition. A land of humans and Youkai, living in something that can be called harmony on occasion. This ancient land is the result of the Great Hakurei Border, created by Yukari Yakumo, maintained by the Hakurei clan. Over the ages, the border has slowly been weakening; not enough to cause a problem, but enough that humans from the Outside World have been trickling in.

It was predicted that the Border would not have to be renewed for at least a few more millenia; however, the Border is starting to crumble apart. Nobody knows why; both the current Shrine Maiden of the Hakurei clan, Reimu, and the Border's creator, Yukari, have gone missing, and even their closest friends and servants do not know what has happened to them.

While many Youkai and humans choose to ignore these problems, a select few have decided that something must be done...

Rules:

1. You do not control the other players' characters, unless they give you express permission to do so. This should be obvious, but I've had problems with it in the past. Also, while I will try to give you a good deal of freedom, remember that you don't control the whole plot. Having the whole group decide to go do something is one thing; having an NPC we're looking for walk by and talk to you is another thing. Just remember that you only control your characters, and you should be fine.

2. Respect the other RPers.

3. Have fun! This is just a game, so don't let things get you down.

4. Please, don't type lik dis or |1k3 7h1$. I'm not expecting you to be an English major or anything, but legible posts would really be appreciated.

Sign-up:

Your character shall be an OC Youkai. You will choose a Youkai type, and this will help determine what canonical character shall be your first party member All sign-ups should follow this format:

Name: Self explanatory.
Youkai type: The fun part. Here, you choose what kind of Youkai you will be using. All player characters will be new Youkai; however, whether this is due to a transformation (such as human to magician or animal to animal Youkai) or just once that has recently come into existence is entirely up to you. Be creative, but try not to be too outlandish.
Gender: Again, pretty obvious. (i.e. Female. Rinnosuke be damned.)
Touhou character: The character who will be your partner and mentor. Please try to keep this related to geography; something like a rabbit Youkai with Hina is just ridiculous. Also, Yumemi, Chiyuri, Keine, Yukari, and Reimu are off limits, as are characters only from the written works.
Appearance: What distinguishes your Youkai from others of its type? Things like clothing (once you get some), eye color, hair color, etc.
Personality: Keep in mind that your Youkai type will affect the personality, but aside from that, do what you will with it.
Stats: The other interesting bits. The stats are:
-Intelligence: Not a measure of how much your Youkai knows, but how well it thinks. How analytical it is, how intuitive, things like that.
-Danmaku Prowess: The higher this stat is, the more powerful your Danmaku will be, and the harder it will be to avoid.
-Strength: A measure of physical strength. Don't just overwrite this as inferior to Power; physical strength can be useful, and with Reimu gone, certain people may choose to forgo the Spellcard Rules...
-Agility: Ties in a bit with Danmaku battles. Not only affects how well you dodge Danmaku, but other things as well.
-Stamina: How much you can exert yourself. Also applies in battle.
You start off with 1 in each stat, and can distribute 12 points across the whole board. At this point, no stat can exceed 5. Keep in mind your Youkai type; a magician isn't going to have very high Strength, but you can choose whether it has higher agility or intelligence, or things like that. In the same vein, your Type will affect how these stats grow. These stats won't be used for calculations or anything like that, they'll just be guidelines that affect how your character interacts with the world and situations thrown at them.
Background: You may not even have one, but if you do (animal Youkai or human turned Youkai) be sure to put it here.
Other: Anything else you find to be important. Completely optional.

My own character (as an example):

Name: Kanade

Youkai Type: Kitsune

Partner: Hina Kagiyama

Appearance: Has red fur and deep blue eyes. Has medium length, darker red hair. She wears a plain white dress with a layered skirt, and sandals. She is a bit short, but not lolita.

Personality:A bit meek. Would rather sit and listen than speak up. However, she is highly intelligent, and tends to analyze things on her own. This leads to her going against the plans of others, as she has decided that her plan will work better. Doesn't necessarily dislike people, but doesn't trust them, either. She is very calm and collected, but a bit withdrawn.

Stats:

-Intelligence: 5
-Danmaku Prowess: 3
-Strength: 2
-Agility: 4
-Stamina: 3

Background: Doesn't remember her past at all, aside from a few snippets of memories of a girl with glasses.

I know this is a bit skeletal, but since these Youkai are all new, they don't really have to have much of a background.

And no, your Youkai will not have an Ability.

Once you get the O.K. From me, you'll be good to go! The first posts after my own will be your characters either starting off pre-Youkai if they transform, or just as them waking up for the first time. After that, I'll introduce you to your partners, and it will roll from there. You won't control them at first, but eventually you will gain control of them (them being the Touhou character you encounter.)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

The RP itself will probably start in one to two weeks, depending on how much interest in this we get.

(To be updated later with my own character)

Actually, something I just thought of that I should bring up: I will be using my own character, but she shall be just as clueless as yours. In fact, she'll actually be a bit submissive, since I want to see what plans you devise. Also, just because she suggests a plan of action doesn't mean you should follow through with it; basically, in that sense, just treat her like any other player character. Normally in things like this you wouldn't see the GM use their own character, but not only is this what I'm used to due to previous RPGs I've run on other forums, but to me GMing without having your own character sounds boring. If I wanted to do that, I'd do a text Adventure. Remember that I'm also here to have fun with this~

Current players list:
# - Player - Character Name - Youkai Type - Partner - Location
1. Squawkers - Kanade - Kitsune - Hina - Great Youkai Forest (Youkai Mountain)
2. Marokuu - Sushikisu Ohuku - Jellyfish - Momiji - Youkai Mountain
3. Youkai Jesus - Arasoi Haretsu - Jinouga - Mima - Makai
4. Crow Cakes - Chiseki - Satori - Satori - The Underground City
5. Sonae - Sayuri - Spirit - Futo - Dream Palace Great Mausoleum (Whatever that means)
6. Guardian Tempest - Heal de Garde - Tsukumogami - Byakuren - Great Youkai Forest (Youkai Mountain)
7. German Flower Youkai - Hilde - Evil Valkyrie - Orin - Former Hell of Blazing Fires
8. Berzul - Yoshiko Nakamura - Poltergeist - Youmu - Hakugyokurou
⑨. MFZBdude - Ark - Yuki-onna - Cirno - Misty Lake
10. Hanzo K. - Hotaru Izumi - Tengu (Raven Type) - Utsuho Reiuji - Rocky Crag on the Western Face of Youkai Mountain (talk about specific...)
11. Reisen-tanith - Aref Beile - Inugami - Kotohime - Outskirts of the Human Village
12. cecilthebot - Sparkler - Fairy - Mokou - Bamboo Forest of the Lost
13. Sourfang - Minako Honjou - Pegasus - Shou Toramaru - Myoren Temple
14. XinXin - Mikan Huang - Human-type Youkai - Flandre Scarlet - Scarlet Devil Mansion

...Man, a lot of people starting on Youkai mountain...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:02:03 PM by Squawkermaru Aya »

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
Re: The New Generation (RP Sign-Up and Info)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:26 AM »
I'll throw in a post to show that I'm interested, I'm a bit too tired atm to start planning out a character but I'll probably get to that some time this week (hopefully)

EDIT: Could it be possible to have a youkai that's transformed from an aquatic creature (jellyfish specifically)? I've gotten the idea stuck in my head now and it won't leave.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:18:11 AM by Marokuu »
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:11 AM »
What. Competing with me? I hope your standards are high enough for me~ So I can finally RP like how I really want too. AND YOU TOOK ONE OF MY ACT 2 PLAYERS. FUU-

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »
I'll throw in a post to show that I'm interested, I'm a bit too tired atm to start planning out a character but I'll probably get to that some time this week (hopefully)

EDIT: Could it be possible to have a youkai that's transformed from an aquatic creature (jellyfish specifically)? I've gotten the idea stuck in my head now and it won't leave.

Of course! I mean, it would probably have to be from Youkai Mountain or the Misty Lake (there are no oceans in Gensokyo) but that's perfectly alright. We might even get a certain dolphin mascot, phwee (if I can convince Rou to join... not sure if he's into these.)

What. Competing with me? I hope your standards are high enough for me~ So I can finally RP like how I really want too. AND YOU TOOK ONE OF MY ACT 2 PLAYERS. FUU-

I figured it's different enough from yours, and since we live on opposite ends of the planet it should be fine as far as not taking away from the other's attention and such. Also, WRYYYYYY.

Also, updated the rules with two new things, location and your Touhou partner. Decided that I may as well let people choose that. Now that I've come to fix this, I can finally sleep!

Wolfsbane706

• Knight of the Accursed Order
  • Boredom is contagious.
Re: The New Generation (RP Sign-Up and Info) (Updated with new sign-up rules)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:08:49 AM »
Placeholder post until I can work out all the details and kinks.  I'm interested, definitely, but there's a couple spots I haven't figured out.  Like the name . . . .
[15:30] * Wolfsbane706 pitfalls Roukan.
[15:30] <Roukan> WHAT WHY
[15:31] * Roukan aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa*splat*
[15:32] <Wolfsbane706> That's the funniest reaction I've seen yet.
[15:34] * Roukan thumbs-up from beyond the grave.

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
AND YOU TOOK ONE OF MY ACT 2 PLAYERS. FUU-
Chill out bro, I'll have time for two RP's, unless school royally screws me over in some way >_>

And here is an early draft of my profile. Jellyfish are bloody fascinating creatures but they don't leave a lot of material for backstory, this girl could just as well have popped up out of thin air :3

Name: Sushikisu Ohuku (刺し傷  匍匐)

Youkai Type: Jellyfish Youkai

Touhou: Inubashiri Momiji

Appearance: She wears what looks like a transparent raincoat poncho over a white, near transparent nightgown-like dress. Her eyes are gray and instead of hair she has tendrils that reach down to her waist. The physical build corresponds roughly to that of a fourteen year old human girl, sort of indicative of her simple nature.

Personality: Extremely simple minded, acts mostly on instinct and is not very trusting, if one were to ask for her life goals they would be "eating" and "not being eaten".

Stats
-Int:1
-Danmaku:5
-Strength:2
-Agility:5
-Stamina:3

Background: She's a jellyfish that ended up in the lake at the top of youkai mountain somehow. Being a jellyfish she didn't have much of a personality (not to mention any sort of central nervous system to store memories) before turning and she hasn't had time to develop one just yet. As for the circumstances of her turning, when the lake was moved by the Moriya goddesses she was exposed to powerful divine magic. Over the years the magic, combined with gensokyo's inherently fantastical nature, accumulated inside her until she finally transformed into a youkai.

Other: Her "hair" contains stinging cells that, upon contact, will deliver a payload of poison. However, since she's not a very poisonous type of jellyfish, it won't cause more than some lasting discomfort if you simply touch them, this might change as she gets more used to her powers as a youkai. Getting completely entangled in them is another matter, even when she's newly turned.
NOTE: Her hair isn't made of tentacles, she can not control it to any degree larger than swinging her head around.

Christ this is bare-bones, and jellyfish don't even have bones!

But really, I've become way too hooked on this jellyfish idea to let it go now. I also kinda like to leave a lot of room for characterization (read: I'm bad at planning)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:17:14 PM by Marokuu »

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Do fairies count? :V Just asking, because if they are accepted, then I might join.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
And so it begins~

I'll think about this today. I've already got something in mind~

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
SAVE A SPOT FOR MEEE

I will draft in this OC I've been stashing...

Yeah the CS will take me a while.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
SAVE A SPOT FOR MEEE

I will draft in this OC I've been stashing...

Yeah the CS will take me a while.

Oh god the Tentacled Elder Dragons guy.

Anyway, WHY ARE ALL OF YOUR SIGN-UPS LIKE SO SHORT AND SHAT.

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

GuardianTempest

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
BEcause I am:

-Lazy
-Can't mobilize quickly
-A GLA Rebel can outrun me really
-My power comes from my daydreaming, let me set in for a while
-Hey I know you can do better.
-You know rushing isn't my forte right?

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
WHY ARE ALL OF YOUR SIGN-UPS LIKE SO SHORT AND SHAT.
Might not have been directed at me but:

-I'm bad at planing out a character ahead of time
-I'm moderately lazy
-Fuck, if you can squeeze any more detail out of an animal without a central nervous system, lungs, stomach or other defining traits without the ability of giving it more backstory than "Just turned youkai" I'd like to see you try. :V Other animals can at least claim to remember their pre-youkai life.

GuardianTempest

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Hey, it's either this or I resort to my stick figure OC back in Eastern Garden. (who has cartoon physics)

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
Well, that's because my stuffies are like 100 WORDS FOR SHAT MON! I'll show you all what a Sign-up really is!

GuardianTempest

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
Yeah yeah, you elitist. Just like the ones I've seen in RoleplayerGuild.

Alright, I'll let you win and satisfy your desire to overwhelm us in your superior surge of expressing dominance. But keep in mind: I have a massive project in English....and the deadline's tomorrow. I procrastinated and forgot it, now I pay the price with the hours of my sleep. Also, I suck with CS's anyway.

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
Hey, hey! Don't fight in here.

Still waiting for a reply, just in case my question got drowned out a while ago.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

GuardianTempest

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
Hey wait a minute, are you accepting Tsukumogami's? Since I have no idea for general youkai.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »
Do fairies count? :V Just asking, because if they are accepted, then I might join.

...I don't know why you'd want to be a fairy. I mean, I could use the same reason for them as Shinigami for why  they could die permanently, I guess... I dunno. I'll get back to you on that. I'll probably say yes, but don't quote me on that.

Also, I really hope that's all in good fun...

Hey wait a minute, are you accepting Tsukumogami's? Since I have no idea for general youkai.

Once Tsukumogami touches it up a bit and fleshes it out (because even he/she (can't be bothered to check, need to leave very soon) said that it's just a skeleton sign-up) I will.

GuardianTempest

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »
HEy Y.J., I better see something longer than this, since I have no ability and therefore I leave it to you to write something that would really spice things up.

EDIT: I WAS KIDDING I WAS KIDDING KYAA~
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:57:25 PM by GuardianTempest »

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
HEy Y.J., I better see something longer than this, since I have no ability and therefore I leave it to you to write something that would really spice things up.

EDIT: I WAS KIDDING I WAS KIDDING KYAA~

Simple. I write sign-ups longer then that~

GuardianTempest

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
I could use some eye-candy, since I'm burning my hours off with this damn overnight project. Movie Review of Count of Monte Cristo(2002), sadly I forgot the movie elements to put in.

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Threw in a small edit to add a little more detail to appearance and backstory. I could add some sort of occurrence in her past just to fill it out but in the end it would simply be pointless word-dumping for the sake of it.

I want to keep that slight tinge of realism by sticking to the fact that jellyfish physically don't have any way to record memories.

GuardianTempest

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »
Yeah, and do notice she can wilt in the sunlight like parchment pape if left too long.

EDIT: Meanwhile my initial concept is of a character who gets stronger the more offense is poured on her(and can return it as well). So someone like Wriggle could pose a serious threat to her by drastically reducing the strength of each 'hit' until the touching of the insect feelers would be enough to 'break the barrier'.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:30:17 PM by GuardianTempest »

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
Well, that's because my stuffies are like 100 WORDS FOR SHAT MON! I'll show you all what a Sign-up really is!

And then watch me out do you all~

GuardianTempest

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »
Gah, Heal de Garde can wait! (you loyal vassal)

I'll post tomorrow, it's 11pm and I can't last much longer...

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
Hm. Maybe I should challenge YJ to a contest or something~
My Elements of Gensokyo Profile was well over 1000 words. Actually it was nearly 1500 words...

Oh oh! But don't let that discourage any one from joining! I'm just extremely descriptive is all~

Unrelated Note : YJ WHY YOU NO REPLY TO MY PM!?

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
I'm starting to get the feeling that the amount of words about to be dumped in this thread will be more epic than the actual stories the words will be telling :ohdear:

Well as long as it's split into proper paragraphs it's fine, no offense Sonae but your textwalls just make my eyes glaze over sometimes.  :wikipedia: Might just be because I usually get to read them when I'm tired :V

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
Eheh? Someone knows of me? And here I thought I was just a passing spirit~

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »
Eheh? Someone knows of me? And here I thought I was just a passing spirit~
Well it's really just your activity in Elements of Gensokyo that I've seen, I gotta keep up with it if I'm going to join in on act 2.

That will probably be when I demonstrate slightly more capability when it comes to profile writing, I've just sorta painted myself into a corner with this bloody jellyfish. Granted it will probably help that I'm already writing that profile and that I still have like a month left to tweak it more.

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
Hm~
I don't mean to disappoint you, but I have yet to see people keep up with me in terms of activity and post length~
Though if you want a race you can win, try a literal one that involves running~
Also Hope you know I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Just some friendly teasing~

Anyways Squawks, I gots a question for ya. Can our chara possibly have met some characters prior to the start of the story? Heard of them? Been brought up by them? Fought with them?