Author Topic: FOOTBALL THREAD FOOTBALL THREAD FOOTBALL THREAD  (Read 10841 times)

Acidus

FOOTBALL THREAD FOOTBALL THREAD FOOTBALL THREAD
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT FOOTBALL THE BEAUTIFUL GAME

Premier League-wise, Blackburn got a win off of Arsenal 4-3, with Arsenal conceding 2 own goals(!!!) and a generally anemic showing. I've heard that Wenger is refusing to give an interview... lol

Remaining fixtures for this weekend, time is GMT:

Saturday 17th September 2011
Blackburn Rovers   4-3   Arsenal      12:45   Ewood Park
   Aston Villa   v    Newcastle United      15:00   Villa Park
   Bolton Wanderers   v    Norwich City      15:00   Reebok Stadium
   Everton   v    Wigan Athletic      15:00   Goodison Park
   Swansea City   v    West Bromwich Albion      15:00   Liberty Stadium
   Wolverhampton Wanderers   v    QPR      15:00   Molineux

Sunday 18th September 2011
   Tottenham Hotspur   v    Liverpool      13:30   White Hart Lane
   Fulham   v    Manchester City      15:00   Craven Cottage
   Sunderland   v    Stoke City      15:00   Stadium of Light
   Manchester United   v    Chelsea      16:00   Old Trafford   

Of course, this thread is also open for La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga discussion too, but personally I'm more of an EPL person  :D

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: FOOTBALL THREAD FOOTBALL THREAD FOOTBALL THREAD
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
The beautiful game of football where Manchester United are making one of the most beastly showings I've ever seen since well over like almost a decade ago

And Arsenallol are in the dumps. Today's games appear to be kinda dopey but it will be interesting to see how most of the bottom teams are pitted against each other. I am in anticipation of tomorrow's games, though! Man Utd. v Chelsea at Old Trafford! Yeah. Hopefully Man U. are able to keep up their streak. As for Arsenal, it appears they're doomed to 10th, and Wenger's probably gonna get his ass kicked.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
Football? You mean this beautiful sport?  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:21:44 PM »
after we scored the 6th goal I did feel a little bad for them (didn't stop me laughing though), but today I've no sympathy for them at all. I don't get why Wenger won't buy a proper defence or just spend any money at all, panic buying doesn't count. it's not like they have a huge debt blocking their purchase of higher priced players. playing ~*~pretty football~*~ is all well and good but it is pretty useless when you can't rely on your defence to do their jobs properly.

I know we're at home tomorrow and so therefore should win but I'm worried we'll play like we did in the CL earlier in the week. I saw the 2nd half of it and we were so poor.

late edit: so I caught some of the Bar?a game... that scoreline...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:04:04 PM by n ı c o l ə »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Patriots and Packers look ridiculous this season.  Ravens looked quite solid too after the drubbing they gave the Steelers.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »
2men1ball
with the amount of ball grabbing you get in this game it's more like 2men2balls

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 01:33:09 AM »
Patriots and Packers look ridiculous this season.  Ravens looked quite solid too after the drubbing they gave the Steelers.
GO RAVENS!!!!!!  KILL STEALERS!!!!!

CAW CAW

Also what's up with Michael Vick being his own offensive line.   :wat:

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 03:32:43 AM »

Goddamnit Edible :derp:

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 03:34:16 AM »
Oh god with Cam Newton on QB it's looking like Carolina may not be so terrible after all!  Not great of course, but better than 1-15.  (Not a Carolina fan, fuckers took over every pay lot in Charlotte during games when I lived there and would kick out monthly pass holders in order to charge $20 for the game)

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 03:39:54 AM »
Fucking Ben killed my fantasy team. Dropped his ass for Newton.

But yeah, Brady went batshit insane, that was crazy. Cam Newton gives Carolina hope, and GO CHARGERS! DO NOT FAIL LIKE LAST YEAR. *First play* orz

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 03:46:59 AM »
So glad I have Ravens D on my team.  Only 2 of my guys got me less than 10 points, but I wish I'd started Steve Smith so I could have broken 150 points :<

Edible

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 04:20:55 AM »
So glad I have Ravens D on my team.  Only 2 of my guys got me less than 10 points, but I wish I'd started Steve Smith so I could have broken 150 points :<

I had the Steelers D last week. <_<

... Buuuuut I also had Brady and Welker, so I basically won for free despite the rest of my team being terrible.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »
tbh it still comes down to Wenger's way of playing football: offensive all the way and let defense handle themselves. It's worked before, but now that Arsenal don't have their star players anymore and a huge shift in teams in the entire league means that his tactics are way less effective, not to mention they're predictable as hell because he never fucking changes it.

It's effective when you have a good lineup, but it just doesn't work for Arsenal now.

Let's not forget the fact Arsenal's mid is also kind of not good. I'm still suspicious of Arteta, goddamnit.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
tbh it still comes down to Wenger's way of playing football: offensive all the way and let defense handle themselves. It's worked before, but now that Arsenal don't have their star players anymore and a huge shift in teams in the entire league means that his tactics are way less effective, not to mention they're predictable as hell because he never fucking changes it.

It's effective when you have a good lineup, but it just doesn't work for Arsenal now.
his tactics worked when he had a real defence, something he's not had in years. that afforded the rest of the team to do what they had to. I remember them during the 03-04 season and being so impressed by all the players but now everybody is so forgettable.

I will never understand this aversion he has to spending  money. it's great that he likes developing young players, he has a good eye for them for sure but sometimes you just need people with experience. I also don't understand what he was thinking waiting so long to replace his two best players. it was obvious to everybody they were leaving so why not look for replacements sooner rather than panic buy? another thing I can't stand about him is this inability to ever accept blame or fault for their mistakes and losses. he always blames the other team and bemoans how decisions never go their way.

I'm amazed he still has a job.

Let's not forget the fact Arsenal's mid is also kind of not good. I'm still suspicious of Arteta, goddamnit.
most of their team is kind of not good.

also trololo 4-0. Liverpool were a mess today, and 2 players sent off too.

that Nani goal  :*

trololo City, trololo Torres. I hope Chicha is okay ;-;

video of dat miss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSlqrbVn30
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:00:22 PM by n ı c o l ə »

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 04:15:32 AM »
Holy crap Newton, he might now win games but this guy is a Fantasy Monster.

I'm glad I gave up on Ben and got him.

Although Gates having a grand total of 0 points this week is just sad :(

EDIT: *tableflip* I LOST BY 2.5 POINTS?! DAMN YOU REGGIE BUSH, DAMN YOU!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:19:00 AM by Kyubey PX »

Edible

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 04:44:03 AM »
Holy crap Newton, he might now win games but this guy is a Fantasy Monster.

I'm glad I gave up on Ben and got him.

Although Gates having a grand total of 0 points this week is just sad :(

EDIT: *tableflip* I LOST BY 2.5 POINTS?! DAMN YOU REGGIE BUSH, DAMN YOU!

Got you beat.

Was up by 50+ points and still had Vick left.  Opponent had Maclin and Gonzalez.  The former had the best game of his career, the latter had the best game of his Falcons career, and Vick never played again after early in the second half.  Lost by a couple points, despite having by far the most points in the league up until this game. :(

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
I was at work so I missed the game but fuck you Ravens D, what happened out there?  I still won my match, but haven't broken 100 points yet and who knows if Nicks is actually going to play/be useful tonight.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Nicks better play, I'm up 16 in a PPR league but he still has Ahmad Bradshaw Layfield to go. I need as many distractions as I can get.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »
I'm confused. Which football are we talking about? American Football or REAL football?

Also, fuck the Premier league go Barcelona. 8-0 win on Saturday was BEASTLY. And to top it all off Real Madrid lost to Levantos in that upset. Victory is sweet. Suck on that C.Ronaldo and your shitty hairstyle.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
Barcelona. 8-0 win on Saturday was BEASTLY.
I thought the game was actually pretty dull  :ohdear:  but I can't really complain about teams scoring for fun when mine does it so often. it was nice to see Levante win though, I like seeing big teams getting taken down a peg or two.

also there are way more fans here than I thought there would be. what teams do you all support?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
I'm confused. Which football are we talking about? American Football or REAL football?
Gpop confused = thread win.

Spoiler:
Also, the proper terminology is "Handegg" and "Lawndive".

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
We're talking about both, since both sports are football.  Just because Gridiron isn't the same as Association (not "REAL") Football doesn't make it not football.  Last I checked Gridiron is played in several other countries around the world, including a rather famous league up there in Canada.  Don't you Canadians call Association Football "soccer" anyway?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »

Also, fuck the Premier league go Barcelona.
This is best response. Sums up my situation after reading this thread.
Vic does have a point though, and I'll add on to that by saying that IIRC Canadians use 'football' in a similar way as the Americans.

Also rooting for Barcelona here, yeah! *indifferent towards American Football*

Lastly, here's a good match. FORWARD GLORIOUS CART! :V
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
It's not like using the term "soccer" is some horrible North American slur anyway, given it originated in Europe.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
Yeah I know, in fact I still call it soccer since everyone else calls it that lol. I just prefer football since it's what it's really called. Plus, I have nothing against American Football in fact, they're real fun to watch, though I don't really follow any teams :V

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 12:14:39 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRbR03XVtsU

what the fuck is wrong with some parents. the kid doesn't realise what he's saying but those parents damn sure do.

I don't understand why making snide remarks or singing vile songs about Munich is fair game but making similar remarks regarding other footballing tragedies, especially Hillsborough, gets you scorned and shunned.

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »
Stoke are a really tough ground! even when you're playing well they can still make life difficult for you.

we're still top though :V

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 02:03:43 AM »
Meanwhile, Barca continue to dominate. 5-0 over Real Madrid.

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
what the hell happened to us today? we really didn't deserve to win today, and a draw flatters us. I'm worried we'll play this badly at the weekend, even if we are at home against Norwich. still, since the 98/99 season this is the first time we have drawn our 2 opening champions league matches and we all know how that season ended keke.

I missed everything of the other games but Mancini recently confirmed that Tevez refused to warm up and come off the bench to play. this behaviour is disgusting, indefensible and just plain unprofessional.

eta: in the post match press conference Mancini said that Tevez will never play for the club again.

should be an interesting couple of days to see how this plays out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:08:48 PM by n ı c o l ə »