Author Topic: Touhou is NOT an anime!  (Read 95453 times)

Gambit

Re: Touhou is NOT an anime!
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
Aww geeze, not to be rude but don't you think such a video would be a bit obnoxiously inconsiderate?
This is exactly what I think about the whole matter. There is no reason to get all bent out of shape about people thinking that it's anime.

Anyways, instead of making a video about what Touhou is not, wouldn't it be more effective to make a video what it is? I dunno, just saying.

This is the course of action that should be taken.

Drake

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
It's not that hard to do at least a simple bit of research, and the sheer amount of people who ask is what enervates me, not the actual fact. I mean, even if they assume it's an anime or whatever else, if you're interested, you look for it. Well, not entirely. I do get annoyed at a certain point, in IoSYS videos and the like because they want it for the kawaii and not for the awesome. Also I get terribly annoyed when it's mistaken as something made by IoSYS and all the songs are said to be made by IoSYS. Like holy shit most of their stuff isn't that good at all you stupid faggots.

Imo, giving them a rude response is probably good preparation for some of the communities.

I do agree this movement is pretty retarded. Instead, maybe link them to that video Bastille/co. did at AE09.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2009, 12:39:28 AM »
Danish: Touhou er ikke en anime.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:12 AM »
I do get annoyed at a certain point, in IoSYS videos and the like because they want it for the kawaii and not for the awesome. Also I get terribly annoyed when it's mistaken as something made by IoSYS and all the songs are said to be made by IoSYS. Like holy shit most of their stuff isn't that good at all you stupid faggots.

I'll grant you that IOSYS's output is indeed a mixed bag with plenty of misses for every hit, but I don't think IOSYS is all about the kawaii. Look at the videos for Flower of the Sun and Border of Death, for two examples. Not to mention the numerous tracks without videos that are based more on metal or prog rock.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

mark2000

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2009, 01:31:17 AM »
Personally, I think the problem stems more from people's laziness to do their own research rather than the huge number of touhou-related materials producing misconceptions.(<-- also something ZUN was worried about)

Honestly, I also thought touhou was an anime the first time I watched Marisa Stole The Precious Thing but unlike the rest of the lazy tards, it only took me one google search to figure out its true origins and that only took less than a minute of simple effort.

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2009, 06:18:56 AM »
You need a launching point to do research. Hat with Eyes and Girl with Scythe may speak volumes to us but not so much to Google. In fact, while it can be informative, many of the links in a google search for IOSYS refer to a windows boot file. IoSYS' own website is in japanese to compound matters. You could search for a name in Japanese but many of them have more than one use. Sure, you could search for a character name, assuming if you're lucky enough to have one that isn't something ambiguous like Yukari, Ran or Suika. Even with the non-ambiguous, when you first see the word Touhou, are you supposed to automatically think it means something? I'd personally assume it's just confusing jargon until told otherwise, especially since every fictional series ever seems to have its own.

Basically, I believe it's a harder question then it seems to us already in the know and really, since when has asking questions not been a legitimate part of research? Oh sure, it may be one thing when you have an informative source such as an F.A.Q. document or  a descriptive introduction is readily available to you but usually people come in with close to nothing. Let's have some kindness and understanding towards newbies who seek enlightenment.

Regarding the sheer volume, that's merely a statistical matter. If hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people come across something so obscure, quite a large number of them are bound to be confused. Just ignore it and be all the happier. It's no one person's job or responsibility to answer these sorts of questions.

On the off topic, I too think IoSYS sucks. I'm glad not to be the only one. Too many of their works makes Zun's masterful but already high pace music much too hyper and flattens the melody. Their vocal sound effects are especially grating to my ears. They have a handful of nice songs but those really are atypical of them. I guess there's a certain WTF factor to the typical IoSYS piece but otherwise I don't really see why they're so popular. I've always been bad at seeing why popular music is popular though, I guess my tastes are just too refined or something... Even the accompanying animations to their earlier more popular works are kinda weak, though I guess that's more of a reality of Flash than anything else.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:23:13 AM by Tonepoet »

Drake

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2009, 07:17:13 AM »
I do get annoyed at a certain point, in IoSYS videos and the like because they want it for the kawaii and not for the awesome. Also I get terribly annoyed when it's mistaken as something made by IoSYS and all the songs are said to be made by IoSYS. Like holy shit most of their stuff isn't that good at all you stupid faggots.

I'll grant you that IOSYS's output is indeed a mixed bag with plenty of misses for every hit, but I don't think IOSYS is all about the kawaii. Look at the videos for Flower of the Sun and Border of Death, for two examples. Not to mention the numerous tracks without videos that are based more on metal or prog rock.
I know, and the ones that are actually good I love to bits, particularly Flower of the Sun. Most people want it for the kawaii. Even some of the kawaii ones I like. But frustrating people will be frustrating.

Recent Youtube bantering on a FotS video.
Some guy (-1):
iosys makes this kind of music? what the fuck?!
well its pretty good >_>

Me (-6):
Why is this thumbed down? In all seriousness, 70% of IoSYS's stuff is pretty shit. This song was one of the greatest in a long, long time, and I for one was surprised when they came out with something so daring and epic.

Some kawaii (+1):
so u dont like the cute music?? i do! LOL. but it can get old fast.

Some hobo:
nah i actually like this song alot too.
lulz

Me (+1):
No no no, this song is amazing. Quite a few of their songs are fairly nice. Most of the heavily advertised arranges such as Marisa Stole etcetc, Cucumber-Flavored HNNNGH, Usatei and GIANT SWING are pretty good, even some with the dog whistle voices.

But stuff like the rest of Souyuu Shinpi and Tsukitoro Safe! aren't that great at all. I find it frustrating how people tend to go OH NO YOU DON'T LIKE IOSYS? No, you're just not listening to half the music they release. Really, people.
etc

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
Oh god, this thread has become way too serious. Kind of funny while most people said: "ignore them, don't take it serious" and yet it is going quite tense. XD Take it easy!

Here is the original thread where I asked what anime / parody it was from. So yea, feel free to shoot me but that is logical thought like Gpop said.

From that point on, my life went down the hill and thus I ended up here.

Emarrel

• Something of pokeballs
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »
Honestly, I also thought touhou was an anime the first time I watched Marisa Stole The Precious Thing but unlike the rest of the lazy tards, it only took me one google search to figure out its true origins and that only took less than a minute of simple effort.
one google search
one google search

THIS. A million fucking times. Chances are if you see something on the net, there will be a name for it or at least something indicating what it is or where it's from. It's honestly not that hard to do a bit of detective work. All you need is one name, tag or a piece of URL and you have enough to get the ball rolling. Even looking through comments can harvest a tonne of information you can use.

If it took me a mere 10 minutes to find the the entire album to the first song in this video, it shouldn't take very long to find greater leads to the source material to something like Touhou, mostly because the video will probably have huge entrails of related videos.

There's few instances when you'll truly be at a dead end. If the image, video or song in question has absolutely no tags, no meaningful file name, no description and is completely devoid of anything then yes, that's fair enough.

a google search for IOSYS refer to a windows boot file

But the first link is the Wikipedia page! The last.fm page also has a link to ZUN, which also has a link to Team Shanghai Alice's Wikipedia page. The second video result says "IOSYS|Toho Project 7 Perfect Cherry Blossom ...", 'Toho Project' being the obvious keyword here.

There's three straight forward leads to the source material right there. It's either laziness or incompetence.

I know I'm probably sounding like a huge dick here, but nothing annoys me more than people who are completely unable to find something when the answer is staring directly at them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:55:50 AM by Emarrel »

Quintafeira12

« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
*raises hand*

So... Shouldn't one of us go fetch that "what is toho?" video and translate it to english? It annoys me that the only translations of it I found were in Brazilian.

Tengukami

« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »
LOL @ YouTube comments. And I feel your frustration - seems to be an all-or-nothing orthodoxy with any band. Which makes no sense in our age of individual tracks instead of LPs.

Tonepoet: I don't know about you, but when I google "touhou", the top results I get are the Wikipedia page, the Touhou wiki, and replay vids. I think that suffices. Don't really see why we need to make greater efforts to optimize already easily available information. Some might say it's a fine filter.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2009, 02:40:09 AM »
Expecting a person asking "What Anime is this?" to perform a websearch on the word Touhou before receiving an answer is somewhat paradoxical, don't you think? It's expecting the answer to be self-evident and while in some cases it probably should be, in others its quite hard. A variable difficulty question, pendent on circumstance, I might say.

In regards to Emarrel, I feel it's important to state that by no means did I ever mean to imply that it's impossible to come across the answer with adequate research. Just to convey how the research might possibly have some difficulties. To filter out red herrings and irrelevant results, one has to be have adequate knowledge in the related subject area to pick and choose which information is useful and which isn't. Sometimes it can be obvious, other times it may not and what exactly is can vary from individual to individual, pendant on exact circumstance. Especially when it comes to the IO.SYS file. :P

I also must ask what circumstances is research most appropriate in? I think there's a bit of an opinion difference in just how evident something should be. I think we can agree it'd be spammish if somebody were to ask such a question here, where Touhou is the key purpose and surrounds them with every step they take. On YouTube however? It's not exactly the most informative site. The research is possible, I'll grant that but is it efficient or expected? I'm not so sure I'd hold people to those standards myself. The linked Marisa Stole the Precious Thing video is pretty informative, though it's hardly the only one on Youtube and even if it was, what does Hatsune Miku have to do with it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:42:18 AM by Tonepoet »

Tengukami

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:04 AM »
Wow. Wordswordswords.

"Touhou" being the most common tag with any IOSYS vid, chances are good they'll Google it. Even if they don't, it's been pretty much established that googling "IOSYS" brings up the Wikipedia article on the doujin group and numerous YouTube videos. If someone's searching for "iosys" after seeing Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, and these are the top results they get, chances are they'll get the picture and aren't going to wonder about boot files and such. Unless you like to complicate your life by being deliberately obtuse, that is. Beyond that, I don't understand the motivation behind trying to make it easier to discover what Touhou is. It's extremely easy as it is. Why the bloviation?

« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »
Sorry if I'm being too vocal, please don't take it the wrong way. I just personally believe it's better to take the time to make a well presented thought on a forum, considering it's a non-time limited format. I consider myself more verbose than obtuse. I suppose that's more of a cup half-empty, cup half-full matter though, isn't it? Regardless, I can make a short, concise point (or in this case two) if needed:

One needs to realize those are our key words first and that might be hard to discern at first glance. By the time somebody has passed the threshold of figuring it out, couldn't asking have been better?

As for point two, I think I've been misunderstood. I could actually care less if it becomes easier to learn about Touhou, there are better means to that end.  What I'm concerned about the is the apparent hostility towards the questioners here. I hope to speak for the voiceless here, in order to illicit a better understanding of them.

mark2000

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »
@tonepoet

Just look at it this way then:

A person asking about something is normal but the problem happens when hundreds ask the very same question over and over again. Some people try to avoid being a cause of this type of annoyance by putting their own effort into figuring out the answer to that question by themselves first before actually asking it to other people.

If you have been to plenty of forums, you'll notice that the most common and enforced rule in all of them is "use the search function first before posting your own thread". Imagine yourself as a moderator of a forum and majority of the threads are all titled with "What is this [insert subject]?" then ask yourself how you yourself would feel during that situation. Not only is your forum being flooded with redundant threads but you also come to realize that your community is full of lazy bums.

The principle is basically the same here. To put it simply: The problem isn't the question they are asking but the laziness of the questioners.

Personally, though, I doubt putting out the video will help much. People will still have to find that video after all. Normally, they'll simply post their question on the comment box of the touhou-related material they just watched. If they won't even bother to use a Search Engine, most likely that they probably won't be able to find this video that they can find using a Search Engine.

« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2009, 07:16:15 PM »
I am greatly aware of this but there are differences in setting that make searching a bit more difficult, which I've been trying to point out for several posts now. I'll paint one last verbose picture of how I view the scenario and bow out of discussion in this thread, as I think I may've gotten to the point where I'm hurting my view more than I'm helping it. Braer Poet has punched the Tar Baby. >_<

When you come to a forum with a question or problem, you usually already know quite a bit about the situation and can describing  in a way that somebody else who may've asked priorly already has. You have the prerequisites to use the search function already, which is there and there for a reason. Similarly if there are FAQs you can check to address your problem, all the better. Having two duplicate topics about the same thing on a forum is a waste of space. That is assuming your question isn't super simple, to the point where your lack of descriptiveness makes it unintelligible spam that nobody can help you with.

When you stumble upon something cool like Touhou on Youtube or a picture on a site, suddenly you're at a loss for words to describe it. There is no intelligible way to describe it. For various reason, one may or may not see things that stand out about the topic which can either help or befuddle people further, making it akin to a tech unsavvy individual reading a VCR manual. The conversatory atmosphere in Youtube comments is also a lot more lax, changing the definition of spam. This is because neither informativeness or text discussion are the site's main purpose and there are no official forums to socialize in. In a terse and informal social entertainment setting, are we to expect everyone to watch multiple videos, checking the tags of each to find common links like a scholar, before they can ask a simple question to people who likely already know? I'm not sure how others feel but I personally feel this is a bit overly expectant of the average Touhou newbie.

Long story short, I believe it all boils down to the context of the setting. The less information you're initially provided with, the more understandable the question is. Likewise, the less self-evident it is, the more understandable. YouTube's about a medium on both accounts I'd estimate. Also on this particular note, the question phrasing is also a part of the context as I believe "What is Touhou?" should be a far more self evident question than "What anime is this?" due to the uniqueness of Touhou as a series name/word. That's all I think I can say on the matter, later guys.

Drake

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
http://www.pooshlmer.com/wakaba/res/363139.html
>http://iqdb.org or http://iqdb.hanyuu.net An image search site. Use these to find cleaner or higher resolution versions of certain images, or the artist of a certain picture. For pictures from a video, take a screenshot, crop it, then run it through iqdb.

...And you know the rest. Case and point, pretty much.

It's totally fine to think the way you are, though. Don't take offense.

Tengukami

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2009, 01:12:38 AM »
Sorry if I'm being too vocal, please don't take it the wrong way.

My "wordswordswords" remark was more a gentle teasing than a criticism. It's something people do around here. You're welcome to draw out your point with as much protracted explanation as you please. I'm not trying to tell you how to write. Just pokin' a little fun there.

One needs to realize those are our key words first and that might be hard to discern at first glance.

... unless someone looks at the title of the video or under the "tags" heading of the video. As has been pointed out, a simple Google search of "Touhou" or "IOSYS" gives top results than pretty much spell out everything you'd need to know. This is what I meant about being deliberately obtuse - a person would have to ignore the top search engine results for "iosys" and instead focus on the more obscure articles about boot files to get the impressions that you're describing. To put it bluntly, a person would have to be pretty dense to not be able to work out what a YouTube video is all about, even after Googling the tags.

As for point two, I think I've been misunderstood. I could actually care less if it becomes easier to learn about Touhou, there are better means to that end.  What I'm concerned about the is the apparent hostility towards the questioners here. I hope to speak for the voiceless here, in order to illicit a better understanding of them.

Ah, I wouldn't see it as hostility as just general nerdrage. I wouldn't make too much out of it. But yeah, someone seeing an IOSYS vid posts the comment "What anime is this?" without bothering to Google any of the tags - a pretty basic thing you learn to do within months of discovering the internet - then they're pretty much the sort of incurious person who won't lift the most basic effort to figure something out, which is why the scenarios you conjure where the average internet user faces a complicated mazelike scenario when trying to figure out what the backstory of a YouTube video is doesn't ring true to a lot of people here.

I understand you're trying to show another side to this whole thing, but the other side is pretty much, "I can't be arsed to Google the video's title or its tags, so instead I'm going to post comments under a video asking others to be my personal search engine." Some people like to be the Answer Man and are more than happy to help. Most people though, as mark2000 pointed out, get tired of hearing the same question asked over and over, especially when that question can be very quickly and easily answered - ironically, often taking less effort than posting a YouTube comment.

mark2000

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2009, 01:20:42 AM »
@Tonepoet

I just found out why we can't agree on each other. Basically, it's because the rest of the people here do not find it hard to acquire proper research information from youtube videos whether they had initial knowledge of the visual material or otherwise. I personally never experienced performing complex procedures just to root out the right word or phrase from a single or multiple videos. We also do not think youtube comment conversations are so lax that it becomes difficult to share or even search for proper information. So in essence, it's not the site that's the problem, its the laziness of the people using the site.

When you come to a forum with a question or problem, you usually already know quite a bit about the situation and can describing  in a way that somebody else who may've asked priorly already has. You have the prerequisites to use the search function already, which is there and there for a reason. Similarly if there are FAQs you can check to address your problem, all the better. Having two duplicate topics about the same thing on a forum is a waste of space. That is assuming your question isn't super simple, to the point where your lack of descriptiveness makes it unintelligible spam that nobody can help you with.

Like I said before, we are talking about people who can't even put an effort into doing anything you just mentioned before asking their questions.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2009, 04:57:31 AM »
You guys will probably kill me for this....but I thought it was a anime when I first saw IOSYS's Oyome ni shinasai video

Same thing for me except it was when when I saw IOSYS's Overdrive video.
Overdrive

ಠ_ಠ

Gpop

« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »
You guys will probably kill me for this....but I thought it was a anime when I first saw IOSYS's Oyome ni shinasai video

Overdrive

ಠ_ಠ

It was posted over at FFR =/.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »

Overdrive

ಠ_ಠ

That doesn't change the fact that the name of the song is It Stops At The Affected Aread And Dissolves Immefiately - Lunatic Udongein.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2009, 03:30:07 AM »

That doesn't change the fact that the name of the song is It Stops At The Affected Aread And Dissolves Immefiately - Lunatic Udongein.

but that's really really long, ususaly isn't translated in the title, and doesn't apear anywhere in the video, so most people call it "Overdrive" becouse it's the first english word you see.
Wotters gonna' wot

Gpop

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »

Overdrive

ಠ_ಠ

I'm totally aware of that, but as HatKuma035 said, it's too long to type out, so I like to call it Overdrive instead =/.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
Damn one of iosys's video was tagged under 'anime' ;_;
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Yoslime

• Like embarrassing me, huh?
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
Need English-Japanese translations? Sounds like my cue.

So I gave it a shot to translate the entire clip mentioned above.
It's highly possible to contain weird English. Feel free to post corrections.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGegCta6F1o

I feel... so... exhausted now...
I'm off to bed, good night folks...

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »

orz
Bookmarked for posterity.

Tengukami

« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »

orz
Bookmarked for posterity.

Seconded.

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:04 PM »
Animesuki are being anal over Touhou's status. I had a thread on Touhou merchandise trashed because it was posted in the "Wrong forum" (The Games frum) I pointed out to the over-moderator Xris that this is absurd because then the Touhou images thread should be moved too, and he moved that too.

This is just kinda crazy. Just because there's one episode of Touhou as an anime doesn't make it an anime. It's a game first, and series of comics and short stories second.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »
Hahaha, that's hilarious. A couple fan-made cartoons are made and they get all confused.