Author Topic: Touhou is NOT an anime!  (Read 95376 times)

Desert

• Teehee!
Re: Touhou is NOT an anime!
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »
I dunno, getting mad at someone for that is like getting mad at someone who has never taken a geometry class and pronounces sine (usually shortened as "sin" on a calculator) as sin. It's an honest mistake, and I don't think getting mad at them is justified. Well, unless they actually are trolling, in which case they're just waiting for someone to get mad, so yeah.

tl;dr version. Sorta...

Anyways, instead of making a video about what Touhou is not, wouldn't it be more effective to make a video what it is? I dunno, just saying.

Also yeah, the "El" in the Spanish translation isn't suppose to be there. It's essentially saying "The Touhou is not an anime."
Yup, still lurking.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
There exists a video explaining what Touhou is, but just in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27BY4DKz-zw

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
BTW...
After calming down, I now realized how stupid (most of the) people on Youtube are and stopped bitching around. So, if anybody's gonna do it, it's not me anymore.

Nah, this thread has nothing to do with your idea anymore. Rather it's a random bored translation thread
rofl bye

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »
If they ask what Anime Touhou is, just say "Bleach" or something
Wotters gonna' wot

Quintafeira12

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:06 PM »

If everybody in the fandom started using a preset answer like this, maybe we could get on to something.

Gpop

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »

No Naruto for the vast amounts of Narutards out there.

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »
Touhou is cartoons

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 02:22:20 PM »
Touhou is dying, dying, surviving a little, and dying some more.

Some players *coughmecough* die more than others, but either way; fun is had. And that's what really matters.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »
When are the new eps of Touhou getting subed? I want to see if Ichirin's sisteris really the big bad.
Wotters gonna' wot

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »
TOUHOU IS...

...ACTION

...SEXY GIRLS

...STRAIGHT FROM JAPAN

...NOT KIDS' STUFF

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2009, 06:56:21 PM »

No Naruto for the vast amounts of Narutards out there.

This is thread win. Should have thought of that.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
Touhou is an obscure late-1970s anime featuring giant flying space robots battling for supremacy of the galaxy. It was the first anime to feature a soundtrack by Western bands, among them Billy Squire, Foreigner and Cheap Trick.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »

Close enough.

Drake

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
Side Story did the Shirou thing on purpose, though.

Or it was just the subbers.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DarkHedge

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »
French: Touhou n'est pas un anime! Alors ALLEZ VOUS FAIRE FOUTRE

(Touhou is not an anime! So GO FUCK YOURSELVES)

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2009, 12:29:16 AM »
German: Touhou ist kein Gott verdammter Anime! Animes sind dumm!

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »
Al Bhed: Touhou ec HUD yh yhesa!

...Hey, it might come in handy.  Who knows?
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Omnifish

• One Fish To Rule Them All
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »
I dunno, getting mad at someone for that is like getting mad at someone who has never taken a geometry class and pronounces sine (usually shortened as "sin" on a calculator) as sin. It's an honest mistake, and I don't think getting mad at them is justified. Well, unless they actually are trolling, in which case they're just waiting for someone to get mad, so yeah.

tl;dr version. Sorta...

Anyways, instead of making a video about what Touhou is not, wouldn't it be more effective to make a video what it is? I dunno, just saying.

Also yeah, the "El" in the Spanish translation isn't suppose to be there. It's essentially saying "The Touhou is not an anime."

Agreed 100% (the third comment in that screencap is mine). Sure, some of the people asking might just be trolls, but there are bound to be far more people who simply do not know (since it can be very hard to tell that Touhou if your only exposure to it is through youtube videos).  Giving them a calm, straight answer is the best course of action, since it will both bore the trolls and inform people who may actually be interested in the games.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2009, 03:08:14 AM »
Al Bhed: Touhou ec HUD yh yhesa!

...Hey, it might come in handy.  Who knows?

You win an internet.

I seriously need to rekindle my efforts at learning how to actually converse in Al Bhed (just to weird-out/piss-off people to no end).
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Gpop

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »
French: Touhou n'est pas un anime! Alors ALLEZ VOUS FAIRE FOUTRE

(Touhou is not an anime! So GO FUCK YOURSELVES)

DH, next time do an audio recording of that with you sexy french voice <3

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2009, 03:20:52 AM »
I love how I switched ppl to the translation deal. I used a crappy translator anyway, so I knew it would probably be wrong.

FIGHT!

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2009, 05:29:59 AM »
One, don't assume that, bad. Two, Touhou IS an anime now, technically. Three, go on, Touhoes must be multilingual.
The Unnoficial Touhou Anime was made by fans. Without any help by ZUN. ZUN even forced them to call it the Unnoficial Touhou anime.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:34:24 AM by _Zac_ »

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »
German: Touhou ist kein Gott verdammter Anime! Animes sind dumm!
Genau! Lest weiter Mangas!

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
U.N.Official was Anime?

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
You guys will probably kill me for this....but I thought it was a anime when I first saw IOSYS's Oyome ni shinasai video
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Gpop

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »
You guys will probably kill me for this....but I thought it was a anime when I first saw IOSYS's Oyome ni shinasai video

Same thing for me except it was when when I saw IOSYS's Overdrive video.

Gpop

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
Thing is that I didn't bother to find out what the flash was a parody of, so I just let it go.

It's when I saw Moogy's single image that he posted over at FFR that interested me

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »
I thought Touhou was a project of IOSYS cuz of OverDrive and MSTPT, then an anime after watching Artificial Children PV.

FIGHT!

Drake

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »
I would have punched the whole lot of you in the face.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »
Aww geeze, not to be rude but don't you think such a video would be a bit obnoxiously inconsiderate? I mean the first Touhou exposure is usually as a result of randomly bumping into the related fan works, as either a direct or indirect result of the fandom of something else. It's not like Touhou is famous to the point where you'd have to live on Mars to avoid it. In fact, I'd say it's really just a cult classic at best.

The conclusion that it might be from an anime isn't even that far fetched either, considering that the overwhelming majority of its fanworks are anime styled, suggesting such an origin source.  To be completely fair, most people find out about something like this from a more informative sources, such as advertisements, informative articles or through friends for a few examples. Pictures and fan animations don't really inform one of much and the doujin manga could be misleading. Even I.a.M.P. and S.W.R.'s sprites follow the stylistic enough to imagine there might be an underlying source that isn't a game. Consider Melty Blood's own origins with the visual novel Tsukihime and the considerable number of custom made MUGEN characters for a moment.

By asking the question they're already admitting they don't know where its from and would like to enlighten themselves as to the origin. The annoyed shouting out of what Touhou isn't doesn't help them find out what it is in the least. Politely answering the question asked by saying something like "X is from the Touhou series of games." on the other hand does both. I agree with some of the others; the mistake is completely one-hundred percent understandable. This is why I think what basically amounts to a blatant "You are wrong!" video would be rude. In fact I think it would make the whole Touhou fan community, worldwide, look like a bunch of jerks to be quite frank.

Oh, by the way, before you even think it; no, I never asked the question as phrased. I mostly lurked around places and learned about it through osmosis, though I do recall a friend of mine telling details me about the games themselves ages ago. It was so far into the past that the details are kinda sketchy for me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:30:47 PM by Tonepoet »