Author Topic: Nan Desu Kan 2011 - Ten and One Desires (not 56k friendly)  (Read 60123 times)

Re: Nan Desu Kan 2011 - Ten and One Desires (not 56k friendly)
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
This sounds impressive. Looking forward to it for sure.

Glad to know you had fun this weekend.

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2011, 01:00:16 AM »
We figured out a way to put danmaku in our photos today. It is the most awesome thing you have ever seen. Watch for it!

:o

Looking forward to awesome.

Katierou

• Wolf It Down!
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 01:26:46 AM »
For some reason, I love the one where I'm looking down at the fan, since it looks like it's troubling me. Freaking fans, how do they work?

The setting with danmaku was simply amazing. Quite possibly one of the luckiest places to happen upon for Touhou pictures, really!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »
I'm expecting great things.

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 02:06:18 AM »
I'm expecting great things.
this, basically. not sure what to expect though.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 02:52:08 AM »
So many awesome cosplays I don't know where to start D:

Powerup punchin'!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »
I need to remember this next year, so I can give you missions to perform and achievements to unlock.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2011, 03:20:58 AM »
I need to remember this next year, so I can give you missions to perform and achievements to unlock.

Achievement Unlocked: Where's Bicorne?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2011, 03:22:37 AM »
I dare Purvis to ask Ruro to punch a CCS cosplayer.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2011, 03:33:50 AM »
That's not much of a dare.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »
It is if you stop to consider where Ruro's full username may have come from.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2011, 04:11:05 AM »
That just makes it more fun, really.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 05:28:51 AM »
It is if you stop to consider where Ruro's full username may have come from.
The "Sakura" in my name comes from Sakura Taisen, not Cardcaptor Sakura. And besides, I didn't see any CCS cosplays this year. :<

I'm saving it for my last update, but I actually unlocked an achivement this weekend. No, really. It's a little button that says "Achivement Unlocked!" I won it in a trivia contest on the first day, and I'm including a photo of it in my swag brag photo for day three.

Anyway! The last installment of Saturday's photos.

Again, searching for Chen everywhere. Found a Homuradawg.

I chased a Harley Quinn through the hallways and asked to take a photo, only to find that I had lucked out with Catwoman and Poison Ivy, too!

While Squawkers ran into the bathroom, I took the opportunity to steal his hat and then borrow Yukari's to put it on top of both the hats. HATS WITHIN HATS WITHIN HATS.

POSSIBLY WITHIN ANOTHER HAT!

I don't actually know what this is a cosplay of, but the attention to detail caught my eye.

We were resting at this point, taking a break from searching for Chen. I still got up periodically to take photos of cosplayers I found interesting, like this Mami!

I wish I had been just a little bit faster to catch a photo of Mami shaking hands with Reimu.

TARDIS cosplay!

Another Tron cosplay. I think my favourite cosplays are the ones that have lights sewn into them. Although I can't imagine how fast the batteries need to be replaced...

Sailor Jupiter right outside the Artists' Alley.

Mari Illustrious Makinami cosplay! Didn't see much EVA this year, so this came as a pleasant surprise.

Some nerd with Reimu on his hand. Danny went to the bathroom, and we took the chance to pass around Reimu.

Yukari with Reimu as well!

I honestly have no idea what cosplay this is, but DAMN.

Well, this is a surprise! A Princess Tutu cosplayer!

The surprises just keep coming! This is Jenrya Lee, from Digimon Tamers, with Terriermon. It took me a while to notice that his eyes were naturally crossed.

Stocking, with stockings.

This is one of the more fascinating takes I have ever seen on Sailor Moon: Steampunk Sailor Moon. They had gears and springs in place of hearts on the front of their bows, and numerous other fascinating little details that made their cosplays a real joy to look at.

The focus here infuriates me. Thankfully, I got the chance to correct this on Sunday.

Anathe and Kerigis liked the Space Marine cosplay yesterday. They'll love this.

And returning to the trio of Avatar cosplayers! The light was shining through their fans in the coolest way imagineable, I just had to take a photo.

Final Fantasy. This was a breath of fresh air from all the Yumas running around.

Got lucky three times at the same con! Jenrya and Terriermon with Beelzebumon.

Mars caught up with the other steampunk Sailor Soldiers here. I never did find Moon or Mercury, a real shame.

Ah, NDK, the magical land where every other person is a Kuroshitsuji cosplayer and every other other person is wearing a tricorne. I was pointing out tricorne after tricorne to Squawkers, who was starting to see how overrepresented they were. And I pointed this girl out and said "look at that sexy tricorne! I am totally going to mug her." And then her friend came by, wearing a tricorne. Is this fate, or what?

... so I asked to borrow the first girl's tricorne, and this is how it turned out. Pirate Aya!

Luna and Artemis with their daughter Diana as a plushie.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(and yes there is a person inside of that)

Strength, from the BRS animation!

Robocop and Bleach. Robocop will show up again in a bit.

Starfire and Blackfire from Teen Titans! I had seen these two around since the morning, but hadn't gotten to take a photo until now.

More Sailor Soldiers! More traditional ones this time.

Kaitou Kid and Altair.

For Theorin, who's been watching Powerpuff Girls Z: Princess Morbucks!

At this point, our group went outside, where I formally said goodbye to them. (After we split up here, they found Chen without me.) But I dashed back in after saying goodbye for a last drink of water.

I have no idea what these guys are supposed to be but it was too hilarious to pass up.

ROBOCOP VS BATMAN: THE BRAWL IN CITY HALL.
... no, tell me I can't be the only one who wants to see these two face off in a movie.

And the last photo of Saturday: Sailor Moon and Ino from Naruto.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2011, 05:29:46 AM »
*ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF NDK COVERAGE*

DANMAKU COMES TO DENVER!

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 05:35:27 AM »
>Beelzebumon
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
And it's the original Tamers version!
Not that I don't like me some DEATH THE CANNON, but gotta hand it to the classics.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2011, 05:36:14 AM »
Oh my god. THAT TRAIN.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2011, 05:42:24 AM »
>Beelzebumon
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
And it's the original Tamers version!
Not that I don't like me some DEATH THE CANNON, but gotta hand it to the classics.

My thoughts exactly.  Tamers is my favorite season.  And those two cosplays were awesome.

I have no idea what these guys are supposed to be but it was too hilarious to pass up.
That's The Monarch and 21 and 24 from The Venture Bros.

Dragoshi

• Some sort of lurking trainwreck
  • May or may not exist. Possibly. Maybe.
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »
Okay I pretty much died once I saw 21 and 24 along with The Monarch.

Also you are not alone in wanting to see Batman and Robocop face off in the same movie. '-'

Also wow that TARDIS. Now I'm waiting for like. A Cyberman or a Dalek now. :vv
All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:19 AM »
We were resting at this point, taking a break from searching for Chen. I still got up periodically to take photos of cosplayers I found interesting, like this Mami!

Yay, more Mami <3

Some nerd with Reimu on his hand. Danny went to the bathroom, and we took the chance to pass around Reimu.

Yukari with Reimu as well!

Aww, that Reimu is adorable :3

Mars caught up with the other steampunk Sailor Soldiers here. I never did find Moon or Mercury, a real shame.

That's actually pretty cool. An interesting twist :3

... so I asked to borrow the first girl's tricorne, and this is how it turned out. Pirate Aya!

TRICORNE TOKINCEPTION. 8) 8) 8)

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(and yes there is a person inside of that)

I wonder how many people freaked out when they saw that. D:

Also, that photo with Yukari and the train is just perfect 8)

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »
Day Three of NDK: Screw all other commitments, we're going shopping!

So I arrived, carrying a pizza under my arm for Yukari, Sakuya, and Danny (since Squawkers wasn't going to be here on Sunday). Figured they'd be hungry.

While searching for Yukari, I ran into Sakuya. She couldn't stay long, since her mother wanted to attend a panel, so this is the last photo I have of her. Complete with nosebleed!

Aladdin and Jasmine! They were having a great time singing A Whole New World with the help of Aladdin's smartphone.

Chris, the guy who sets up PoFV in the gaming room for our amusement, and Danny with Marisa and Reimu puppets today. We were outside on the grass having pizza after Danny and I found Yukari.

We had had this project in mind since yesterday. Kaitlyn wanted to reenact that well-known .gif file of Yukari "summoning" a train in a subway station with the Light Rail, the tram that connects Denver's various edges to each other. So we walked over the bridge, went down the elevator, and walked through a tunnel to go to the station here.

The fullsized version (4272x2848 pixels) has the driver's face visible, and he's staring at Yukari with a weirded-out look on his face.

We rushed over to the other side to catch another train shot while we could. This was the preview.

-----

Right then, this begins the real money shot scene.

When we walked to the train station, we had walked through a short tunnel. Originally I noticed the colorful reflective plastic patterns on the walls in admiration, pondering aloud that they would make really cool backgrounds for cosplays of anime that take place in a city of some sorts-- maybe Durarara! or something. At the time we were rushing to the train station to make sure we got good shots, so I didn't think much harder about it.

On the way back, it occurred to me. Just by sheer chance-- how would they look as a background for Touhou pictures instead?

This was the first result.

Now, people have already heard me talk about how much I hate flash and how much I disdain using it. Well, with the reflective plastic, maybe it would be worth a try...?

Holy hell.
Edit: Now available in fullsize here!

Of course, I went crazy. Real life danmaku on the walls! Though I didn't notice it until I looked at the photos I had just taken.

The reflective plastic worked out really well.

Someone who's better at Phantasm than I am might be able to see a pattern in this.

Dunno where the shadow to the right came from.

Anyway, this is by far one of the best backgrounds I've ever found to reenact danmaku. Photographers hoping to reenact danmaku in their Touhou cosplay photos may be well advised to duplicate this process: put reflective, patterned plastic on the walls and see how it turns out!

-----

Walking back to the hotel. Danny doesn't look like he's paying attention, but he is; notice Reimu and Marisa's expressions.

After this, we spent like an hour in the Dealer's Room, which doesn't allow photographs. Yukari and I made friends with the Suigintou cosplayer from yesterday. Yaaaaay, NDK makes your social links better!

Hetalia group shot! They were all together, so I figured why not.

Ayanami Rei. I had seen her around since Saturday, but didn't get the chance to take her photo then.

Assassin's Creed was popular this year.

Mother and daughter, cosplaying the Incredible duo of Elastigirl and Violet.

By this time, the day was coming to an end. Danny's ride came for him, and I asked him for one last photo with Kaitlyn to finish his day.

I had steadfastly resisted all Makas until Sunday. This was one of the last remaining ones, sans her blonde wig.

Their father looked very proud of these two. I found myself charmed by how in-character they were.

Kobayashi from the Pooshlmer imageboards, with another Maka.

The chain aiguillettes were a very nice touch.

I can't identify this cosplay, nor the last one. Can anyone help me out with them?

Sailor Jupiter yet again.

Homura from the first day! Complete with hair flip. I had noticed her during the entire convention, dutifully speedrawing for people in the Artists' Alley.

Sailor Moon group cosplay, with the same wonderful group that shows up year after year.

"Now, in planetary order!"

"Hey, Pluto isn't a planet. Stay out."

"Damnit, Neptune! I'll get you for this!"

Sailor Planet Power!

And a Ranka Lee to finish off the day.

-----

Time to brag about the swag! Not much, since I'm poor, but enough to satisfy me. A collection of Mai-Hime and My-Otome art, a bag of pocky (to lure out Kyouko cosplayers), an Urahara Kisuke hat (which fits nicely over my tokin hat), some tea, a blue ribbon, and an Achievement Unlocked! button.

Everything under the tie was obtained from the $20 grab bags a dealer was selling on Saturday. A figurine (which was alone priced at $18), a Queen's Blade figurine, a small Gojira model (complete with airplane), a plush cell phone charm, a Macross Frontier keychain (the mecha on the handle of my fan), and two buttons, Anthy and Utena.

All right, that's it for this year's fun! See you at NDK next year! ^__^v

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2011, 06:52:41 AM »
That was goddamn clever to use those walls as danmaku. Well done, Ruro, well done.
Good work with all those pics, was a lot of fun to look through :3

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »
You should totes get an extra pic with Urahara's hat added to the pile of hats.
YOU MUST
GO
WIDER

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »
Aladdin and Jasmine! They were having a great time singing A Whole New World with the help of Aladdin's smartphone.

And now it's stuck in my head.

I don't mind this at all. :3

We had had this project in mind since yesterday. Kaitlyn wanted to reenact that well-known .gif file of Yukari "summoning" a train in a subway station with the Light Rail, the tram that connects Denver's various edges to each other. So we walked over the bridge, went down the elevator, and walked through a tunnel to go to the station here.

The fullsized version (4272x2848 pixels) has the driver's face visible, and he's staring at Yukari with a weirded-out look on his face.

We rushed over to the other side to catch another train shot while we could. This was the preview.

It just works so well. :D

When we walked to the train station, we had walked through a short tunnel. Originally I noticed the colorful reflective plastic patterns on the walls in admiration, pondering aloud that they would make really cool backgrounds for cosplays of anime that take place in a city of some sorts-- maybe Durarara! or something. At the time we were rushing to the train station to make sure we got good shots, so I didn't think much harder about it.

On the way back, it occurred to me. Just by sheer chance-- how would they look as a background for Touhou pictures instead?

This was the first result.

Now, people have already heard me talk about how much I hate flash and how much I disdain using it. Well, with the reflective plastic, maybe it would be worth a try...?

Holy hell.
Edit: Now available in fullsize here!

Of course, I went crazy. Real life danmaku on the walls! Though I didn't notice it until I looked at the photos I had just taken.

The reflective plastic worked out really well.

Someone who's better at Phantasm than I am might be able to see a pattern in this.

Dunno where the shadow to the right came from.

This is spectacular-- I never would have expected something like this! A very nice find, and a fantastic set of photos, as well. <3

Anyway, this is by far one of the best backgrounds I've ever found to reenact danmaku. Photographers hoping to reenact danmaku in their Touhou cosplay photos may be well advised to duplicate this process: put reflective, patterned plastic on the walls and see how it turns out!

There's a lot of room for creativity there, come to think of it. You could make your own patterns! :D

Hetalia group shot! They were all together, so I figured why not.

Oh hey, Seychelles is there :3

The chain aiguillettes were a very nice touch.

I have no idea who that is supposed to be, but it's a very nice cosplay, nevertheless. :D

and two buttons, Anthy and Utena.

:*

All right, that's it for this year's fun! See you at NDK next year! ^__^v

Glad you had fun! Thanks for uploadin' all the photos :D

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
Holy shit, a Robocop.

I am feeling a little verklempt.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »
That Danmaku works pretty well. I wonder why there was all that plastic everywhere...

Good to see you had fun yesterday.

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
Aww...

No natural blond hair Yukari cosplay. It's alright though, that Yukari looked wonderful as hell!

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »

And returning to the trio of Avatar cosplayers! The light was shining through their fans in the coolest way imagineable, I just had to take a photo.

:*

Give her a scoop or she'll make you walk the plank into the mountain's waterfall?

pfffffhahahaha

:o :o :o

"Hey, Pluto isn't a planet. Stay out."

"Damnit, Neptune! I'll get you for this!"

Heehee.

I'm glad you had a great time! ^_^

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
That reflection effect on the "danmaku" was AMAZING, good to see it turned out so well (along with the rest of the pictures).

Glad you had fun this year.

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Was a ton of fun.  The weekend started out terribly so I thought this was going to be my last NDK but Saturday onwards was worth it to say I'll be coming again next year.  If not just to hang out with people again but to play around with puppets all day XD

Now I have to find all the pictures that were taken of the puppets.  They were so popular *_*  Even if they did creep some people out...