Author Topic: Anime is beautiful.  (Read 14322 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: Anime is beautiful.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
I remember seeing an anime movie thing as a kid. The name was something sappy like Happily Ever After or something, but it turned out to be some sort of crazy tragedy.

I remember one horrible scene where the generals of two armies are fighting in a forest that drives people mad. The two generals meet on a bridge in the middle of the forest, and they begin to talk. They're secretly in love, so the guy tries to tell her that they can run away from the war, that the fighting is pointless and they should be together.

She shoots him, and he tells her he loves her as she dies. At this point, you see her put the gun to her own head, tears in her eyes.

The actual suicide is off screen, but you see a single drop of her blood slip into the river below the bridge. And at this point, the river immediately turns dark red.

There's also the fact the movie ends with the protagonist finally coming back from the war he never wanted any part in to his loving wife, hugging her, only to find out she's a ghost and that she actually got killed in a bombing run while he was away. She vanishes, he screams out her name, and the movie ends with his death and realisation that all life comes back together at the foot of the Great Tree of Life or something.

Yeah, that movie traumatised me. I basically refused to watch it ever again. I was like 12 when I watched this. My uncle got it for me, probably not realising how fucked up it was going to be...

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »
I don't think I've ever seriously cried from any story, anime or otherwise, but Haibane Renmei's ending came pretty damn close. 

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 11:02:12 PM »
Ah, yes, Grave of the Fireflies. How could I forget that one.

my heart
oh god this I don't know how I even finished it

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
Grave of the Fireflies was like getting repeatedly punched in the stomach while having to listen to audio of babies crying and puppies whimpering. By the time that movie was over I just wanted to drown myself in Ben & Jerry's and fall asleep with my face in the carton.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »
I had to deal with a crying baby not long after I'd finished it and he was getting upset over me being upset lol we went round in a sad circle for a while.

Grave of the Fireflies - Nope, no tears.
so how did it make you feel then?

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »
I haven't watched most of these anime you're all talking about. I like tear jerkers... I might check them out sometime later.

Well, in Madoka, I cried during
Spoiler:
Mami's death, Sayaka admitting she was afraid and lonely to Madoka, Sayaka turning into a witch, Kyouko dying, Homura killing Madoka in episode 10, the end of episode 11, and the final scenes of episode 12.
I cried... what, 7 times? I'm so emotional.~

Oh, and not all tears that are shed have to be depressing.
This made me cry so many epic tears.
[Major TTGL spoilers, slight NSFW]

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:23 AM »
so how did it make you feel then?

Oh, the it was gut-wrenchingly depressing, no doubt. I did felt my throat tighten up, and felt like I was about to cry, but no tears actually came out. This feeling came up very often during the movie, which was longer than I expected it to be.

Great movie, by the way.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »
Funny how I didn't cry the first time I watched Mai HiME ages ago, but this year I watched it again(for the 4th time no I'm totally not obsessed) and it had me in tears by the end.
Different from Clannad-induced tears, though.

Also some anime just makes me clench my fist and feel really 'fuck yeah'. The latest that was very strong with this to me was Railgun.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 04:19:34 AM »
Also some anime just makes me clench my fist and feel really 'fuck yeah'. The latest that was very strong with this to me was Railgun.

Kaiji does this to me. I can't tell you how many nail-biting moments of great tension that show has conjured up in me, and then just when I think we're finally gonna get our due, LOLENDINGTHEME.

I swear that show's going to give me a heart attack.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

The Unlimited RR

• Last Showdown RR&D
    • Photobuckitz
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »
Some tearjerkers I think count here:
-The End of K-On!  [To the point where I'm playing Wu-Tang's Life Changes because of how freaking well it fits.
-Kanon 2006.  Especially at
Spoiler:
the ends of Makoto's, Shiori's and Ayu's arcs.  Mostly Makoto's.
-Gunbuster and Diebuster.  I just have to give Nono all my respect for her sacrifices.
-Hokuto no Ken. 
Spoiler:
Probably the top scene for me was Rei's death.  Especially after having just kicked Yuda's ass.  Raoh's death is up there too, especially after seeing the second Raoh Den OVA.
-Air.  Just watch the last few eps to understand.
-The only reason I cry whenever I see Alien 9 nowadays is because I've read the manga, and I'm very aware
Spoiler:
that shit's gonna get MUCH worse, that two of them will lose their humanity with nobody batting a damn eye and that nobody even cares that the third's pretty much emotionally scarred for life.  Shit like that's beyond cruel.

So generally, yes, I'm a sucker for Key/KyoAni.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:56:56 PM by The Unlimited RR »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »
5 Centimeters per Second made me bawl my eyes out (It was being shown at my old high school's anime club, and I was like 13) for the most part. Same with Grave of the Fireflies. As for actual anime series, it's pretty hard for series themselves to make me cry, but I think I have to give a hats off to Madoka and Ano Hana. On the completely opposite end of the spectrum the Sono Hanabira OVA made me shed tears of joy for how absolutely romantic it was. ;A;

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
To be perfectly honest, just reading some of the things in this thread brought slight tears to my eyes. I cried at Elfen Lied
Spoiler:
when Nana reveals that she knows she's being killed by her "Papa" and just says "goodbye..."

I also cried at a lot of stuff in the Umineko visual novel,
Spoiler:
Rosa and the Goats = tears of awesomeness
The Higurashi manga (the anime didn't affect me that much, besides that scene when
Spoiler:
Shion finds out Satoshi was in the Irie clinic and is banging on the glass.

As for Clannad, I'm very interested in watching it but could never be bothered to get past episode 5, no idea why.
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
Alien 9
dude this was just... not quite a tearjerker but it really left me feeling a bit depressed after I finished watching it.

Kaiji does this to me. I can't tell you how many nail-biting moments of great tension that show has conjured up in me, and then just when I think we're finally gonna get our due, LOLENDINGTHEME.

I swear that show's going to give me a heart attack.
I'm always on the edge of my seat when I watch this. so tense I just can't sometimes. it makes me miss the days when I used to play poker and 21 all the time.

@Vyrien Clannad is a bit slow to get started, but it's worth the wait imo.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:48:31 PM by n ı c o l ə »