Author Topic: The Grimoire of Patchouli  (Read 11606 times)

Re: The Grimoire of Patchouli
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »
   One of the most notable people I have encountered in my lifetime is a certain human magician, Marisa Kirisame.

Marisa is the sole daughter of a family of merchants who run a second-hand store in the human village. However, she no longer associates with her parents or relatives; I do not know if she willingly cut off ties with her family or if she was disowned for refusing to continue her family tradition.

Marisa claims to run a magic shop, but I have never heard of anybody doing business with her. Her store is in the Forest of Magic, which is in a relatively isolated and dangerous location for most humans. Additionally, Marisa spends much of her time away from her house, which makes getting a hold of her extremely difficult. Regardless of how successful or unsuccessful her shop is, most of Marisa's income comes from doing odd jobs such as fortunetelling, fireworks, and youkai hunting.

Marisa's personality is something I or others can only describe as eccentric, even by the usual standards of Gensokyo. Rather than fighting the stereotypes commonly associated with magic users in folklore, she embraces them entirely, dressing and acting like a witch of European tradition. Due to her behaviour and how infrequently she associates with other humans, she is considered somewhat of an intimidating. In addition to eccentric, I would also describe Marisa as tomboyish. While she maintains a feminine appearance, her personality and mannerisms are somewhat masculine. Many, including myself, have been surprised at how deep Marisa's voice is when she speaks, and how crude some of her language is.

Marisa is an habitual and unabashed liar. She will lie even if it is unnecessary, and even if it is impossible; even if the person she is talking to already knows the truth, she will still attempt to lie. While I found this part of her extremely irritating when I first met her, I have learned to tolerate it, and even find it somewhat amusing.

Despite being a human, Marisa has extremely powerful magical talents that even rival the powers of youkai magicians such as myself. However, rather than her powers being innate like with youkai magicians, she has developed her abilities through years of training. Additionally, much of her powers come not from within but from a magical artifact she refers to as the ?mini-Hakkero?. I presume she had mentoring from a youkai or other supernatural being in order to learn magic when she was younger, but this is difficult to confirm due to a lack of details.

While she has immense magical power, Marisa has developed very few of her own spell cards, instead duplicating the spell cards of others. She has even duplicated one of my own techniques, dubbed the ?non-directional laser?. I bear no ill will towards her for using my magic. Among magicians, using the spells of another is often considered a sign of respect or reverence; in fact, some of my own spells are based on the magic of ancient magicians such as my ancestors and mentors. However, in recent times Marisa has started using more of her magic of her own creation.

Marisa's signature technique is the ?Master Spark?, an intense burst of magical energy. According to records, she duplicated this technique from a powerful youkai named Yuka Kazami. Marisa has modified the spell according to her own abilities, altering it to use the power of the mini-Hakkero rather than the limited magical reserves of her body. However, in spite her considerable efforts, she has failed to fully recreate the power of the original attack.

Due to her magical training, Marisa has skills in several other fields. She is an extremely proficient  herbalist, able to identify plants and their uses from a cursory glance. The skills used in processing magical reagents are also used in the culinary arts, making her a skilled cook. To list the full breadth of the talents I have seen Marisa exhibit would overwhelm this article, so I will stop here.

An open secret about Marisa is her penchant for theft; she has stolen property belonging to myself on others numerous times. As a human, she claims to be borrowing the items, and says she will return them when she dies. While this does present an obvious solution to the problem, I do not think murder is the desirable course of action (not to say that I haven't considered it). Rather, by allowing Marisa to continually take items from my library, I extend an unspoken challenge to her. If she can become a full-fledged magician and therefore immortal, I will deem her worthy of anything she has taken from me.

My relationship with Marisa is... difficult to describe. Due to her brash nature and her tendency to invade my personal space and cause problems for me, I have found her a regular thorn in my side. On the other hand, I consider her roughly my equal in magical ability, and respect her for that. Also, she has helped me in the past with research and the investigation of certain incidents.

Would I call Marisa a friend? I would say it very reluctantly, but I would say yes. More than anything else, I consider her a rival, someone to compare my power and skill against.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 03:23:34 AM »
Interesting take on Patchy' relationship with Marisa. I was expecting her to be more angry about Marisa's "borrowing", but I like what you've done with this.

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 02:05:37 AM »
   Another of my fellow magicians is a dollmaker and puppeteer by the name of Alice Margatroid.

As a magician, Alice specializes the manipulation of dolls. This variety of magic allows its user to control dolls from long distances using threads of magical energy. Almost all of these dolls are made by Alice herself, each one having been painstakingly crafted and painted by hand. Many of these dolls are modelled on the cultures and styles of foreign countries.

The long-term goal of Alice's work is to produce a doll capable of thinking and acting on its own. To this end, she has studied various types of magic, mostly related to creating and animating life. I am reminded of the ancient myth of the Golem, a clay statue animated by words written on paper. I do not know Alice's motivation for wanting to do this.

Alice uses her dolls as the core of her combat techniques. Many of her dolls are designed to create danmaku; these are even rigged to explode on command. Alice has several different types of dolls, each with their own method of attack. However, relying on her dolls for offense and defense leaves her vulnerable to direct attack. Alice puts most of her attention into commanding her dolls, and can not defend herself effectively. However, Alice can and will fight on her own if necessary.

In order to discover and push the limits of her abilities, Alice is constantly discovering new ways to use her dolls. She often puts on elaborate shows and performances for onlookers and passers-by; the proceeds she earns from this goes to paying for her dollmaking and magical research. Alice has been seen to perform incredible feats with her control over dolls, such as war games with innumerable combatants on each side.

Alice almost always carries around a magic tome. The contents of this are unknown; she never opens it, and she refuses to show it to others. It is heavily protected, being kept by her side at all times and appearing to be secured by a lock. This grimoire likely contains some form of dangerous or forbidden magic that she does not want to use.

The nature of Alice's magic has given her a variety of skills. Alice is a craftswoman of the highest caliber, talented with a variety of materials and mediums. She is a skilled alchemist, able to create a variety of substances such as potions and explosives. Her puppeteering has given her incredible dexterity, and she is skilled at tasks requiring manual precision such as sewing; she creates and alters clothes for herself and others in Gensokyo. I would be content to trust Alice with working on my clothing if Sakuya were ever unavailable. Alice's dexterity also makes her a skilled musician, although it is rare for her to play as she is usually busy with her research.

While Alice is a youkai, she was born as a human. As she has only been a youkai for a short time, she still sympathizes with humans and is friendly towards them. She will allow people to stay with her if they end up at her house, although she is often engrossed in her work and prefers not to socialize. I have visited her on several occasions and even when discussing topics of interest she seems indifferent and detached. Admittedly, I have sometimes acted in the same manner when she has come to visit me; I am starting to wonder if this kind of behavior is the norm among magicians.

I have attempted to learn more about Alice's past, but trying to distinguish fact from fiction when researching the history of Gensokyo can be extraordinarily difficult. While I have no way to verify it, a story that has intrigued me is that of an orphan girl who was adopted by supernatural creatures and given their magical powers. I have talked to several people who claim to have seen a person that resembled a younger Alice in the vicinity of Makai several years ago; however, I can not confirm these claims.

As the two are both magicians and neighbors, Alice has a close working relationship with Marisa Kirisame. While the two have no familial relation, the two are almost like sisters. Alice behaves as an elder to Marisa, acting as a voice of reason and attempting to rein her in from time to time. In turn, Marisa acts to break down Alice's inhibitions and make her more sociable. Even though the two are close, they will fight each other like anybody else in Gensokyo if sufficiently provoked. In spite of these quarrels (or possibly even because of them), the two remain friends.

Alice was introduced to me by Marisa. While we do not meet on a constant basis, we often exchange information about magic and whatever incidents are currently affecting Gensokyo, and have meals and tea together. The two of us have become close friends over time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:12:22 PM by The Meganekkolossal »

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »
I like the way Patchy interprits her past.

Now that we've gotten the "mains" out of the way, I'm curious as to who's next

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 02:54:59 AM »
I don't have any real criticism to add this time, but I'm still reading and enjoying this.

Hm... Patchouli's interpretation of Alice is interesting, though.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
Alice, a seamstress? This is gold, man, keep 'em coming!

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
Alice, a seamstress? This is gold, man, keep 'em coming!

It would certainly make sense, that's for sure.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear